The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vonmar

Young Sheldon Development Discussion Thread

59 minutes ago, Kev0821 said:

Is Young Sheldon Building to a Big Childhood Tragedy?

By Michael Ausiello, from TVLine

http://tvline.com/2017/08/01/young-sheldon-season-1-george-cooper-death-big-bang-theory/

"And we don’t have to follow an exact timelines. A season doesn’t have to be a year. It could be a couple months. We have a lot of freedom with the backstory."

Buddy, you're working with kids. You don't have that much freedom! LOL

9 minutes ago, April said:

"And we don’t have to follow an exact timelines. A season doesn’t have to be a year. It could be a couple months. We have a lot of freedom with the backstory."

Buddy, you're working with kids. You don't have that much freedom! LOL

That was the second thing I thought when I read this quote, the first one was...as if it's sure you'll get a S. 5!!!!LOL!

Just now, mirs1 said:

That was the second thing I thought when I read this quote, the first one was...as if it's sure you'll get a S. 5!!!!LOL!

Haha yeah, that too! So far I think they might get as much as TBBT has left (so two at least) and they'd have to really take off for more than that. But we'll see...

3 hours ago, Kev0821 said:

TV Guide's Article: Young Sheldon Will Affect What Happens on The Big Bang Theory

http://www.tvguide.com/news/young-sheldon-the-big-bang-theory/

That's been my major concern about this prequel. Well it effect cannon on the Mothership show? Who knows. 

Also I don't see a lot of interest. In Young Sheldon dealing with his fathers George Coopers death. Or his affair e.t.c. Malcom in the Middle it is feeling like. Difference is You had nothing to compare Malcom too. Clearly with Sheldon that's different.

From Entertainment Tonight

(video interview with Jim & Iain in the link)

EXCLUSIVE: Jim Parsons Says 'Young Sheldon' Star Iain Armitage Is 'Inspirational to Watch'

im Parsons and Young Sheldon star Iain Armitage are like two peas in a pod.

The actors play the same character, Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory, just 30 years apart. Parsons has played the part for 10 seasons now, while Armitage is taking on the character's origin story in CBS' new sitcom this fall. ET's Nichelle Turner spoke with the two during the summer Television Critics Association press tour, where they had nothing but great things to say about each other.

(more in the link)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Koala Face 3

I am so excited for this show. I love the connection between Jim Parsons and Iain, they are so funny together. 

• Like 1
  • Koala Face 3

BTW, @Tripper&@Tensor, such a good idea to have a different sub-forum for Young Sheldon. Whether we like the idea of this prequel or not, whether we'll end up liking the show after it airs or not, it's good to have it separated from the discussions about TBBT. Thanks!

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 7/25/2017 at 3:22 PM, joyceraye said:

Nope. I've never seen Ghostbusters, nor Star Wars. And that's true, not a plug for a radio programe. :)

Those are two must see movies...i am shocked you have never seen them :)

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Sah said:

Those are two must see movies...i am shocked you have never seen them :)

The BBC obviously thought it was worth making 'I've never seen Star Wars'  because so many famous people haven't seen it.  Someone there must think it's a little surprising but hardly a shock.

I'm not over-fond of war films involving fighting but I quite like things such as The Great Escape, Cromwell,Way to the Stars or Gone With the Wind. I  did try Star Wars before Opening Night but I gave up after about ten minutes. I wasn't expecting a comedy and found it tiring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • It's a Tiara 1

7 hours ago, joyceraye said:

The BBC obviously thought it was worth making 'I've never seen Star Wars'  because so many famous people haven't seen it.  Someone there must think it's a little surprising but hardly a shock.

I'm not over-fond of war films involving fighting but I quite like things such as The Great Escape, Cromwell,Way to the Stars or Gone With the Wind. I  did try Star Wars before Opening Night but I gave up after about ten minutes. I wasn't expecting a comedy and found it tiring.

I love Gone With the Wind ! Beautiful claasic movie...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I  did try Star Wars before Opening Night but I gave up after about ten minutes. I wasn't expecting a comedy and found it tiring.

I was disappointed with Star Wars when I saw it back in 1977 and it was brand new. It was more the incredible reaction to it by everyone else that raised my level of interest. A cousin invited me to see Empire Strikes back and he was so enamored by the attention to detail in the special effects that I took an interest from that perspective.

Go figure: in 1977 I was 16 living in a small city in a semi-desert climate itching  to get out. Like Luke I felt 
"Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

The appeal for me was never the war aspect.

By the way like Luke (sort of) I got out and moved to the coast.

• Koala Face 1

4 hours ago, djsurrey said:

I was disappointed with Star Wars when I saw it back in 1977 and it was brand new. It was more the incredible reaction to it by everyone else that raised my level of interest. A cousin invited me to see Empire Strikes back and he was so enamored by the attention to detail in the special effects that I took an interest from that perspective.

Go figure: in 1977 I was 16 living in a small city in a semi-desert climate itching  to get out. Like Luke I felt 
"Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

The appeal for me was never the war aspect.

By the way like Luke (sort of) I got out and moved to the coast.

Rather as Young Sheldon, judged by the previews we saw earlier in the year, is hoping to escape. In 4.01 of TBBBT he says growing up in  ( at least his part of )Texas was 'Hell '.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Rather as Young Sheldon, judged by the previews we saw earlier in the year, is hoping to escape. In 4.01 of TBBBT he says growing up in  ( at least his part of )Texas was 'Hell '.

I wonder why they picked Galveston Texas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galveston,_Texas

One thing I noticed reading the wikipedia page on Galveston is the geology looks really uninteresting. Quite different to my experience with proximity to the Rocky Mountains which have hotsprings, towering cliff faces, marble canyons, Columbia Icefields and the Burgess Shale. All in contrast to the nearby badlands. There geology is quite fascinating and fills one with wonder. Lacking in technology development though.

Galveston is near Houston which is fourth most populous city in the US. Home to mission control for NASA. Not exactly far from a hubbub of humanity. Where I grew up one really could hear the fields of crickets (literally -- except they are common grasshoppers).

Edited by djsurrey
clarify
  • Koala Face 1

45 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

I wonder why they picked Galveston Texas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galveston,_Texas

One thing I noticed reading the wikipedia page on Galveston is the geology looks really uninteresting. Quite different to proximity to the Rocky Mountains which have hotsprings, towering cliff faces, marble canyons, Columbia Icefields and the Burgess Shale. All in contrast to the nearby badlands. There geology is quite fascinating and fills one with wonder. Lacking in technology development though.

Galveston is near Houston which is fourth most populous city in the US. Home to mission control for NASA. Not exactly far from a hubbub of humanity. Where I grew up one really could hear the fields of crickets (literally -- except they are common grasshoppers).

I suppose the proximity to Houston and a university made it a useful location to put Sheldon in. Strange churches can be found anywhere.

I'll probably out of pure curiosity watch the first episode of Young Sheldon. But as a traditional fan of tbbt. I can't see myself investing in the show all that much. Well it effect cannon with Older Sheldon. I mean hell the prequel,is prob going to mean, more Sheldon on the mothership show , then ever. As they well probably use it as a marketing platform to prop up the Prequel. See Older Sheldon on tbbt, go see him as a kid on the prequel.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

I'll probably out of pure curiosity watch the first episode of Young Sheldon. But as a traditional fan of tbbt. I can't see myself investing in the show all that much. Well it effect cannon with Older Sheldon. I mean hell the prequel,is prob going to mean, more Sheldon on the mothership show , then ever. As they well probably use it as a marketing platform to prop up the Prequel. See Older Sheldon on tbbt, go see him as a kid on the prequel.

Yes I expect you are right. :icon_biggrin:

• Koala Face 1

22 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I suppose the proximity to Houston and a university made it a useful location to put Sheldon in. Strange churches can be found anywhere.

Oh, just came across this, an old Glen Campbell song (on youtube), Galveston. I'd heard it before but never know what it was about. Interesting that Jimmy Webb's original version is quite different.

Wondering is there is any other significance to Galvaston Tx in US pop culture? 

Btw Sw a comedy? Hmm never saw SW like that. It def unique in its universe. Has elements of comedy. But I always saw it's more as a Sci Fi/Fantasy Type War Film. 

Btw I read another article, saying well their be a YS Tbbt cross over? Not sure how that could possibly work. Unless the Time Machine from Season 1, suddenly becomes real.

2 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Btw Sw a comedy? Hmm never saw SW like that. It def unique in its universe. Has elements of comedy. But I always saw it's more as a Sci Fi/Fantasy Type War Film. 

Btw I read another article, saying well their be a YS Tbbt cross over? Not sure how that could possibly work. Unless the Time Machine from Season 1, suddenly becomes real.

Flashbacks?

• Like 2