The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vonmar

Young Sheldon Development Discussion Thread

On 4.8.2017 at 2:52 AM, djsurrey said:

I wonder why they picked Galveston Texas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galveston,_Texas

One thing I noticed reading the wikipedia page on Galveston is the geology looks really uninteresting. Quite different to my experience with proximity to the Rocky Mountains which have hotsprings, towering cliff faces, marble canyons, Columbia Icefields and the Burgess Shale. All in contrast to the nearby badlands. There geology is quite fascinating and fills one with wonder. Lacking in technology development though.

Galveston is near Houston which is fourth most populous city in the US. Home to mission control for NASA. Not exactly far from a hubbub of humanity. Where I grew up one really could hear the fields of crickets (literally -- except they are common grasshoppers).

Maybe they just chose some Texas city for TBBT, they probably hadn't imagined that they will be making a series about Sheldon's childhood that would have to take place there due to that choice. Also, some series take place in pretty plain place, like "The Middle" where this is part off the premise. I don't see a reason for Sheldon to be living in some special place.

• Like 1
  • Koala Face 2

19 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

But I always saw it's more as a Sci Fi/Fantasy Type War Film. 

I think it is more of a fantasy hero journey set in a place with spaceships and space battles. 

see http://www.moongadget.com/origins/myth.html

Lucas had already written two drafts of Star Wars when he rediscovered Joseph Campbell's The Hero With a Thousand Faces in 1975 (having read it years before in college). This blueprint for "The Hero's Journey" gave Lucas the focus he needed to draw his sprawling imaginary universe into a single story.

Note that the Wachowski Brothers' wonderful film The Matrix is carefully built on the same blueprint:

There is a comic element. At least comic relief from C3PO and R2D2.

By 1989 star wars is already receding into history but it was re-released on VHS in 1985 so there is a good chance Young Sheldon could have the VHS and some of the merchandise.

______________ and back to something else ________________________ edit

17 hours ago, djsurrey said:
19 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Btw Sw a comedy? Hmm never saw SW like that. It def unique in its universe. Has elements of comedy. But I always saw it's more as a Sci Fi/Fantasy Type War Film. 

Btw I read another article, saying well their be a YS Tbbt cross over? Not sure how that could possibly work. Unless the Time Machine from Season 1, suddenly becomes real.

Flashbacks?

Just came across this...

...Lorre has ideas for stories that could tie the two shows together. “We’ve discussed the possibility that the stories we tell on Young Sheldon can echo into The Big Bang Theory,” Lorre said. “People that come into his life in 1989 and impact on him, we might meet them on The Big Bang Theory 30 years later. We’re definitely discussing the ripple effect the show is going to have going forward in time. We’re not there yet.”

from http://www.slashfilm.com/how-young-sheldon-is-like-the-wonder-years/

:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin: Done right that could be good. So I think we can expect continued focus on sheldon.

Edited by djsurrey
  • It's a Tiara 1

We will probably see George Jr. in Sheldon's wedding. I hope they will being adult Missy to that too, I really liked her.

Edited by bfm
  • Koala Face 1

According to Briana Cuoco's IG stories, she is choreographing on YS for the episode they are taping this week...well, I hope they don't cut the thing short as they did for the last choreograph of hers on TBBT. Also, in her IG stories there's a glimpse of Sheldon's room, it looks like young Sheldon shared a room with Missy as a kid.

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 3
  • Koala Face 1

Wonder why there are no episodes in October? It is going to be a long wait. No taping reports either which do help fill in gaps for TBBT..

7 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Wonder why there are no episodes in October? It is going to be a long wait. No taping reports either which do help fill in gaps for TBBT..

I think they want the series premiere to be after the season 11 premiere of the mother-ship, because  many people will be tuning in to find out Amy's answer, and they'll probably stick around to check out the prequel. However, CBS also wants TBBT to help stabilize their shows on Mondays before making the switch back to Thursdays. For them, I think it's more about spreading the wealth in terms of ratings. Personally, I think they could have just waited until November for the premiere, but, from a business stand point, it makes sense.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, spidergirl said:

They are so cute! :)

And IMO Iain and the actor who plays George look much alike!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bfm said:

And IMO Iain and the actor who plays George look much alike!

It seems to be very well-cast so far. I hope it does well and carries on at least until Sheldon is eleven and goes to college.

• Like 2

If Mee-Maw ever makes another TBBT appearance maybe they'll just age Annie Potts. Would be a major improvement!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 8/20/2017 at 5:30 AM, spidergirl said:

They are so cute! :)

God Chuck Lorre could potentially ruin this kids career. Like George Lucas ruined that's kids career from The Phantom Meance :scratchhead:. Hopefully YS is not horrible at the very least.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

God Chuck Lorre could potentially ruin this kids career. Like George Lucas ruined that's kids career from The Phantom Meance :scratchhead:. Hopefully YS is not horrible at the very least.

TBBT seems to making actors rich. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, djsurrey said:

TBBT seems to making actors rich. 

Tbbt being the operative word :)

• Like 1

On 8/5/2017 at 4:07 PM, bfm said:

We will probably see George Jr. in Sheldon's wedding. I hope they will being adult Missy to that too, I really liked her.

I know Missy appeared in an early episode of "Big Bang", but I don't recall any episode of that series that Sheldon ever mentioned having a brother.  You folks can correct me if I'm wrong on this.

"Young Sheldon" looks like it will become a hit like its parent show.  I saw the previews and found myself laughing pretty good.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sheldon With Glasses said:

I know Missy appeared in an early episode of "Big Bang", but I don't recall any episode of that series that Sheldon ever mentioned having a brother.  You folks can correct me if I'm wrong on this.

"Young Sheldon" looks like it will become a hit like its parent show.  I saw the previews and found myself laughing pretty good.

He's mentioned a brother a couple of times during the series.  You can find a list of the references here.

Edited by Gbb
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Gbb said:

He's mentioned a brother a couple of times during the series.  You can find a list of the references here.

The article mentions that the paternal grandparents are deceased. I don't remember Sheldon mentioning that.

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

The article mentions that the paternal grandparents are deceased. I don't remember Sheldon mentioning that.

If you click through to the article of those grandparents they'll tell you where they got that information from:

http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Cooper

So you see they were on this family tree in 4x02:

http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/File:Sheldon's_Family_Tree.jpg

(Though I'm not sure how accurate that thing still is with the show's canon...)

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, April said:

If you click through to the article of those grandparents they'll tell you where they got that information from:

http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Cooper

So you see they were on this family tree in 4x02:

http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/File:Sheldon's_Family_Tree.jpg

(Though I'm not sure how accurate that thing still is with the show's canon...)

Thanks. I hadn't noticed before how detailed that tree was. Stumpy Edward isn't on the board but I suppose if he was still alive he didn't need to be.

Just now, joyceraye said:

Thanks. I hadn't noticed before how detailed that tree was. Stumpy Edward isn't on the board but I suppose if he was still alive he didn't need to be.

As said, Idk how accurate that thing actually is. The ages of Mary and Meemaw can't be right, for example - they'd need at least another 10-15 years or Mary would have had George when she was like 13. I also think with the spin-off some of the other ages may shift around a little.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, April said:

As said, Idk how accurate that thing actually is. The ages of Mary and Meemaw can't be right, for example - they'd need at least another 10-15 years or Mary would have had George when she was like 13. I also think with the spin-off some of the other ages may shift around a little.

In YS Sheldon (and Missy) and George Jr. are more than 3 years apart.