Young Sheldon Development Discussion Thread

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From Variety ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Spinoff ‘Young Sheldon’ Officially Ordered at CBS CBS has officially given a series order for “The Big Bang Theory” spinoff “Young Sheldon,” Variety has le

From deadline.com ‘Big Bang’ Sheldon Spinoff Inches Closer With Iain Armitage & Zoe Perry Castings

From The Hollywood Reporter 'Young Sheldon' Taps Annie Potts to Play Key 'Big Bang Theory' Role (Exclusive) CBS' Big Bang Theory prequel Young Sheldonis poised to introduce one of the franch

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Tripper said:

An interesting article about the development of Young Sheldon:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/31/arts/television/young-sheldon-the-big-bang-theory-spinoff-cbs.html [may be pay-walled]

I can not open the link...

Edited: I did it using another way. Thanks anyway for this, @Tripper. It is really interisting to know how this show is made.

Edited by spidergirl

Thanks for the article, @Tripper!

It was  interesting to read about the creative process, I didn't imagine they considered it to be a multi-camera show and then changed their minds because they work with a lot of children actors. Also pretty interesting that the voice over thing was added later to take some of the negative sides of Sheldon off of the "young" Sheldon and to give them to Jim Parsons, who sure knows how to handle them and to make them "pleasant" (not to everyone, of course...)

It looks like the network and tptb are really counting on its success, let's see how it goes, I've some doubts it will survive TBBT, but I think Lorre is right in saying that it has to conquer its own audience, independently from the main show to have some chances. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tripper said:

An interesting article about the development of Young Sheldon:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/31/arts/television/young-sheldon-the-big-bang-theory-spinoff-cbs.html [may be pay-walled]

Thanks Tripper.  This was very interesting especially the motivations and the chance taken by filming instead of taping before a live audience.  As a note:  at the side of the article are links to two older articles: one from 2009: "The Big Surprise of The Big Bang Theory: The Bigger Audience" and from 2013: "I love the Big Bang Theory. And you should too." Both of these are extremely interesting and well worth a read.

Thanks again.  Nicely done!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, hokie3457 said:

Thanks Tripper.  This was very interesting especially the motivations and the chance taken by filming instead of taping before a live audience.  As a note:  at the side of the article are links to two older articles: one from 2009: "The Big Surprise of The Big Bang Theory: The Bigger Audience" and from 2013: "I love the Big Bang Theory. And you should too." Both of these are extremely interesting and well worth a read.

Thanks again.  Nicely done!!!

Thank you for pointing to the older link (I Love ‘The Big Bang Theory.’ And You Should, Too). While reading the article I was able to identify myself immediately with the author. Wonderfully written. :shy:

• Like 2

I wonder how much we'll be touched on Sheldons relationship with Football. I remember one episode Season Three. Sheldon teached Leonard rules of Football :icon_cheesygrin:.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

I wonder how much we'll be touched on Sheldons relationship with Football. I remember one episode Season Three. Sheldon teached Leonard rules of Football :icon_cheesygrin:.

His father, who according to the preview of YS is a coach, was instructing Sheldon in the ways of football before allowing him to do his AP calculus, according to what he told Mr Rostenkowski. I gather AP is the first year of university that they do from High School if they are up to it. That would make Sheldon about 10 since he's starting High School  at 9 ? So, we have another season to wait before we see him learning about football. Just my guess.

30 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

His father, who according to the preview of YS is a coach, was instructing Sheldon in the ways of football before allowing him to do his AP calculus, according to what he told Mr Rostenkowski. I gather AP is the first year of university that they do from High School if they are up to it. That would make Sheldon about 10 since he's starting High School  at 9 ? So, we have another season to wait before we see him learning about football. Just my guess.

In "The Cornhusker Vortex" he said his father made him watch football games from when he was 5 until he went to college ("The longest seven years of my life").

34 minutes ago, bfm said:

In "The Cornhusker Vortex" he said his father made him watch football games from when he was 5 until he went to college ("The longest seven years of my life").

Hmm yeah showrunners of YS. Are going to have to carefully navigate cannon established with older Sheldon. And how it correlates to YS. We gather He's learning About Football since about age 5. So we gather from "the longest Seven years of my life". He attended College around age 12. So correct me if I'm wrong he must of attended High School roughly age 9. So we may see him learning about football to some degree first season.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Hmm yeah showrunners of YS. Are going to have to carefully navigate cannon established with older Sheldon. And how it correlates to YS. We gather He's learning About Football since about age 5. So we gather from "the longest Seven years of my life". He attended College around age 12. So correct me if I'm wrong he must of attended High School roughly age 9. So we may see him learning about football to some degree first season.

It will be funny if adult Sheldon is going to narrate canon from TBBT over something completely different in YS that shows us things were not quite as he tells them.

3 hours ago, bfm said:

He says he went to university when he was eleven so he must have been nearly six when he started watching, or nearly twelve when he left for uni.

I wonder if Bob Newhart will appear as Professor Proton in TV segments on Young Sheldon. It looks like his appearance in the pilot is taken from one of the clips Sheldon watches in "The Proton Transmogrification."

• Koala Face 1

10 minutes ago, spidergirl said:

It must be geoblocked...can not watch it :(

Well, it's cbs, afterall, lol! I've watched it earlier on without geolock on the Young Sheldon Official Facebook page...I hope it's ok to post this, it was an official source.

• Like 1