Tripper

episodes
1012 'The Holiday Summation' (January 5)

91 posts in this topic

Posted

'The Holiday Summation' - Season 10, Episode 12 
Airs Thursday, January 5 at 8/7c on CBS.

Sheldon and Amy visit Leonard and Penny for the first time since the holidays and share details about their terrible trip to Texas.

mjc45, 3ku11, mirs1 and 2 others like this

Posted

I really liked that episode, it was nice to see each couple having their own story and all of them were funny.  Though Bernadette in the crib with the baby was adorable.

JE7, joyceraye, luminous and 5 others like this

Posted

It was cute,not outstanding but cute.  I laughed in several places. I was entertained and for me that is what it is about.

john2p, joyceraye, JE7 and 3 others like this

Posted

1 hour ago, SRAM said:

I really liked that episode, it was nice to see each couple having their own story and all of them were funny.  Though Bernadette in the crib with the baby was adorable.

Agree! I loved all the mini stories. I'm spoiler free, so the crib scene was completely unexpected. So sweet.

john2p and joyceraye like this

Posted

It was alright. I guess. Thought lenny were the funniest .The banter in the car and their muddy faces was hilarious and tree on top of Leonard. Dragging it into 4a and all the noises from the tree and leonard, hoping whatever it is, kill us. Lol. More of them.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

The episode was okay.

I enjoyed having everyone together in 4A again.

I found the Lenny Christmas tree story funny.    Penny's facial expressions are hilarious.

I found the Howardette story adorable.  Howard threw up on himself and not the baby.  Awww!. Bernie in the crib was so cute!

Raj just took up space.

I found the Shamy story irritating.  More to come on that in the DT.   About the only thing I did enjoy was Sheldon referring to Amy as his "mate."

Another inconsistency... Sheldon says he has never touched Stuart.  Not true.  He was touching him all over after getting drunk with the mimosas and attempting to make up for his insulting behavior.

The baby's cry.....I get that the infant takes after her grandma.   However, if I had to listen to that, I'd cry too that I couldn't get the baby to sleep just to get a little peace.

Edited by jenafan
joyceraye, sdffcx, JohnPhD and 2 others like this

Posted

The critter in the tree reminded me of the squirrel scene in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation! I wonder if anyone made a comment about that on set, and if Johnny said anything.

luminous and JE7 like this

Posted (edited)

I laughed the first and second time I watched it and then it dawned on me about Mary's attitude. I fully see why Sheldon was upset. Oddly enough, I too,as a viewer, accept the shack-up situation because I see the ordinary rights and wrongs of it don't apply to them. Imagine Amy getting home from her honeymoon to discover for the first time that there were rules in her house about toothbrushes. They both needed easing into co-habitation gradually before making a final legal commitment. You could have knocked me down with a feather when Mary  took the words out of my mouth.   I do get why Sheldon resented his mother's condescension. She's as good as saying he's not capable of being a proper married man from the get-go. It hurts him to know she knows that. He's developed enough perception now to realise she thinks they are both weirdos. That's awful for them. 

And then angry Sheldon speaks sentences to Amy in normal talk, which I found quite scary. It was only the 'chronologically' and 'delighted' that deflected it a little, to remind us of how Sheldonish he can be. Watching it again, I noticed Sheldon was talking normally to Mary too after she'd said she was thrilled.

But then when the Wolowitz crowd came, we had to have a couple of 'Sheldon is still Sheldon' lines to remind us what show we were watching.

Edited by joyceraye
jenafan likes this

Posted

The three storyline I rated good, okay, and bad.

The good- Lenny: would been been great if it had been more than 3 minutes. Theie outfits were cute. The banter was cute. The tree on the car and the critter were real funny.

the okay-Howdette: liked the Bernie and Howard parts. Raj and Stuart were a little too much involved for my taste. Don't need Raj, and Stuart , with them for awhile.

the bad- to begin with their storyline was way way too long. Didn't need to see the underwear or the ears pierced. I liked some of Mary's lines.The juice bit wasn't funny. Kind of obvious that Mary wasn't going to care about them living together. In some ways plot line wasn't necessary.

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

the bad- to begin with their storyline was way way too long. Didn't need to see the underwear or the ears pierced. I liked some of Mary's lines.The juice bit wasn't funny. Kind of obvious that Mary wasn't going to care about them living together. In some ways plot line wasn't necessary.

Amen to that.   I found the sight of Sheldon with underwear on his head utterly disgusting, and hearing him screaming three times in a row over getting his ear pierced and unpierced was a waste of airtime.  So, his mom won't pass judgement over him living in sin or go talk to him when she has clearly upset him, but she will surely pass judgement, talk to him, and make him remove a piece of jewelry from his body.  I was not entertained at all.

Edited by jenafan

Posted

Sheldon flew to and from Texas with Howard, a person he insults regularly,  without a problem evidently.  But now, Amy, the person he lives with and loves and who loves him, can't handle him on a flight to Texas?   And not only that, she had to clandestinely drug him?   Although, I guess that is a running gag with Sheldon, so I guess it for the joke?  

3ku11, joyceraye, sdffcx and 5 others like this

Posted

-Unending religious lectures.

-Do boys have flowers?

-Jewish or regular. I wish they'd just write Mary Cooper off.

-Sloppy Joes are so vomit inducing. But then again, so is everything about Texas.

-Unsocialized eccentric. I think he could have went more all out with his point than that.

-Sheldon was just going chronologically, you impatient dork.

-"Have you?". Valid question. Sheldon's understanding of feelings is switched on/off depending on when it's needed in a plot.

-Delighted that he showed any interest in her family at all. Amy's mother hasn't appeared since Season 4 if that's more lampshading. If the Shamy wedding happens they might want to contact that actress pronto.

-Why didn't Sheldon go for a nose ring?

-"There's something on the windshield". 

-Alright, for once Lenny have something goofy enough to thoroughly enjoy. To think, it lasted 2 minutes.

-That baby is still making noises that are not human.

-The servants would take him far away.

-Playing possum until he goes away.

-Howard a vasectomy. Well I guess we don't need two invisible children.

-Thinking inside the box! Really sweet Howardette moment that saves how they resorted to the baby crying gimmick so quickly.

-Stuart's holiday adventure should be a movie.

-With pay, suckah. 

-Well rounded episode....except for *gasp* the Sheldon/mother/Amy trio. I know there was a 5 minute commercial break in there, but the Sheldon holiday recap lasted the first 18 minutes of the show. Ouch.

-In summary, I think the format was just what everyone desperate for all the gang to sit together again needed. While not all flashbacks were created equal, this puts 2017 off to a cozy enough start. 

joyceraye and JE7 like this

Posted (edited)

LOVED Lenny plot, probably one of the few  christmas plots I really liked, right up there with the S/P Nimoy napkin hug in Bath Item. I really did laugh out loud over Leonard and Penny's physical comedy. I could have done without Hallie's crying sound, but overall Howard and Bernie were pretty sweet too and I guess it was a good way to address Bernadette's blues. Loved how Sheldon patted Bernie's head. That was sweet.

I hated Amy, Mary and Sheldon in this episode.The Shamy plot was vomit inducing .  So  is it officially canon now, that Amy drugs  Sheldon with weird tasting juice ? It seemed that Sheldon was unaware that she was drugging him. ALthough even if he is aware, it is still repulsive and creepy because it was too vague and Sheldon didn't know the ingredients of the juice. YUCK.  

Mary was also  straight up shitty to Sheldon. Sheldon , with his underwear on his head, was equally unfunny and disgusting, and did nothing to prove her wrong. YUCK again.  Am I supposed to find all this charming and funny ? The entire Shamy plot could have been removed. I guess the Shamy dynamic is officially " Teacher, Amy educating and guiding immature manchild Sheldon on BEING NORMAL" . I didn't think it was adorable that Sheldon called Amy his mate. It was inappropriate. A more appropriate term for Sheldon to address Amy would be "mommy". 

Edited by serena_1995
JE7, veejay, joyceraye and 1 other like this

Posted

Just now, serena_1995 said:

LOVED Lenny plot, probably one of the few  christmas plots I really liked, right up there with the S/P Nimoy napkin hug in Bath Item. I really did laugh out loud over Leonard and Penny's physical comedy. I could have done without Hallie's crying sound, but overall Howard and Bernie were pretty sweet too and I guess it was a good way to address Bernadette's blues. Loved how Sheldon patted Bernie's head. That was sweet.

I hated Amy, Mary and Sheldon in this episode.The Shamy plot was vomit inducing .  So  is it officially canon now, that Amy drugged  Sheldon with weird tasting juice ? It seemed that Sheldon was unaware that she was drugging him. ALthough even if he is aware, it is still repulsive and creepy. YUCK.  

Mary was also  straight up shitty to Sheldon with no sign of affection. Sheldon , with his underwear on his head, was equally unfunny and disgusting, and did nothing to prove her wrong. YUCK again.  Am I supposed to find all this charming and funny ? The entire Shamy plot could have been removed. I guess the Shamy dynamic is officially " Teacher, Amy educating and guiding immature manchild Sheldon on BEING NORMAL" . I didn't think it was adorable that Sheldon called Amy his mate. It was inappropriate. A more appropriate term for Sheldon to address Amy would be "mommy". 

Just a comment. But hasent that always been the Shamy dynamic? Well from my pov it has. I accept my point of view could be wrong.

joyceraye and legacy99 like this

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Just a comment. But hasent that always been the Shamy dynamic? Well from my pov it has. I accept my point of view could be wrong.

You are not wrong. But Shamy were pretty great in whatever screen time they had in season 4  and 5 and , in season 10 the I thought the writers were moving away from that dynamic with great scenes like the one in the 4A-4B hallway in Veracity Elasticity.  I guess I was wrong,  they are still stuck in that dynamic. 

PS: I didn't think Amy was necessarily educating or lecturing Sheldon in this episode, except for admitting that she was correct to control the decision making because she believes she knows what is good for Sheldon, more than Sheldon himself and they really heightened Sheldon's immaturity for no reason. 

Edited by serena_1995
joyceraye likes this

Posted

2 hours ago, Chrismo said:

The three storyline I rated good, okay, and bad.

The good- Lenny: would been been great if it had been more than 3 minutes. Theie outfits were cute. The banter was cute. The tree on the car and the critter were real funny.

the okay-Howdette: liked the Bernie and Howard parts. Raj and Stuart were a little too much involved for my taste. Don't need Raj, and Stuart , with them for awhile.

I agree. But the view minutes of Lenny included more point-accurate comedy than the complete Shamy part.

legacy99, JE7, joyceraye and 3 others like this

Posted

I mentioned earlier that the Shamy plot was unnecessary. Saying that though Mary really wasn't the problem. Was she mean to Sheldon? Has Sheldon been mean to her? Sheldon by all accounts was a pain to raise certainly more difficult than her other two kids. We met Missy in season 1 and obviously not as bright as Sheldon had enough social skills for a normal life and relationships. I'm guessing the brother was similar. Since Mary already knew they were leaving together she had a response when it was brought up. I think she was being honest when she said she was afraid he'd find nobody. His problems were temporarily solved when he met Leonard but Leonard was never going to be a permanent solution. Amy came along and when they almost broke up in season 4 Mary got them back together. Mary, like most people on here, knew the only person who could permanently handle Sheldon was Amy. in the end if Mary was mean to Sheldon she was mean to Amy.

if anyone was the  problem in the plot line, besides Sheldon, it was Amy. I didn't understand the juice bit. Amy also should known to begin with them living together wasn't going to be a  problem, especially  after the Mary having sex on the couch.

JohnPhD, joyceraye and DaisyJane like this

Posted

2 hours ago, Tensor said:

Sheldon flew to and from Texas with Howard, a person he insults regularly,  without a problem evidently.  But now, Amy, the person he lives with and loves and who loves him, can't handle him on a flight to Texas?   And not only that, she had to clandestinely drug him?   Although, I guess that is a running gag with Sheldon, so I guess it for the joke?  

Without a problem?

JE7, sdffcx and veejay like this

Posted

Did they ever mention what Raj did over the holiday??  Did I miss something?

Posted

Apart from the Shamy stuff it was a solid episode.

My favorite scene was Howard telling Bernadette he's proud of her. Such a genuine, lovely moment.

Leonard and Penny were hysterical. Johnny and Kaley do physical comedy so well. I wish it would've lasted longer. The part where they're sitting on the couch, exhausted, and Leonard's like "I hope it kills us both" made me laugh out loud. They were just so done with everything. Just brilliant.

I didn't really have issues with what Mary said, because quite frankly, she wasn't wrong. Sheldon isn't the type of guy you would expect to find a partner, especially since most of his life he never showed any interest in finding a partner. Of course TPTB had to mess it all up and just prove Mary (and Amy) right instead of letting Sheldon prove that he has grown up. That storyline was unbelievably pointless but since it involved Sheldon, it had to take up about half the episode nonetheless. And above all else, this episode did a huge disservice to Shamy. Flat out comparing Amy giving Sheldon "special juice" to Bernadette giving her baby "special juice" just underlined the overall tone of the episode that made Amy look like Sheldon's mommy more than anything else. It was a confusing decision by the writers since lately they've been highlighting the sexual aspects of their relationship a bit more. Having Sheldon act like a toddler and Amy act like a mother doesn't really help, it just makes their relationship look icky.

JohnPhD, legacy99, JE7 and 4 others like this

Posted

4 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

The part where they're sitting on the couch, exhausted, and Leonard's like "I hope it kills us both" made me laugh out loud. They were just so done with everything. Just brilliant.

That made me laugh out loud too. :icon_lol:

lennyhopekillsusboth1012.gif

john2p, JE7 and JohnPhD like this