The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  

I'm away from the UK right now, so can't legally (hate?) watch the most recent episode of Sherlock. So I'm doing a retrospective and (shameless plug) recapped A Study in Pink here: https://staircasewitsite.com/category/tv-reviews/

I seem to recall there are fans of the show here, so come by if you fancy chatting. Man, I'd forgotten just how much I liked the show - and how much of the stuff that would come to irritate me was already present right at the beginning!

• Like 2

I absolutely loved  A Study in Pink. Liked Scandal in Belgravia and Hounds of Baskerville in series 2 also, but the show has gone down hill now.too convoluted and messy with the timelines. ugh. I checked out your review. it is great, agree about the treatment of women there lol. Moriarty is overrated. 

Edited by serena_1995
  • Like 1

I like the show very much, I haven't had the chance of watching the last episode, but I've read some reviews on-line and it looks such a mess, there are all sort of theories about it; I'm looking forward to watch it. I like the main character, I agree that it has a very distorted vision of women and that the show is lacking in the depiction of women in general. I remember, though, (I've read some SH books years ago, so if my recollections are not correct, I apologize) that Conan Doyle's original Holmes had the same attitude towards the opposite gender, so it doesn't bother me as it does in other shows. Mary might be an exception to that. True, she is\was a spy and a killer, and has done awful things, but I like how she keeps Sherlock in line and how he enjoys working with her. Sometimes it looks like she would be his ideal partner, even if probably he prefers working with John because with him by his side his genius can shine better. TBH, I think that the SH depicted in Sherlock is the most faithful to the original version in the novel I've ever seen. What dragged me into the show was actually the photography, the way it captures London is intriguing to me, it's like it is really the main character in the show. Probably everything is exaggerated too much in the show, I agree that the villains are too villains and more often than not was you see it's not the truth. TBH, that last thing is something that has dragged me away from more than a show, I hate when there are too many twists in the story and you can't follow the course of the events without wondering if there will be a trick at some point. This hasn't happened yet with Sherlock, I suspect because each Season counts a very limited number of episodes. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2017 at 7:08 PM, serena_1995 said:

I absolutely loved  A Study in Pink. Liked Scandal in Belgravia and Hounds of Baskerville in series 2 also, but the show has gone down hill now.too convoluted and messy with the timelines. ugh. I checked out your review. it is great, agree about the treatment of women there lol. Moriarty is overrated. 

I confess I kinda hated the show's take on Irene Adler. How the show managed to be less feminist than the nineteenth-century original remains a mystery to me... And the current discussion on the ethics of drugging reminds me of The Hounds of Baskerville. Right, that's next to watch and rant about.

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:27 AM, mirs1 said:

I like the show very much, I haven't had the chance of watching the last episode, but I've read some reviews on-line and it looks such a mess, there are all sort of theories about it; I'm looking forward to watch it. I like the main character, I agree that it has a very distorted vision of women and that the show is lacking in the depiction of women in general. I remember, though, (I've read some SH books years ago, so if my recollections are not correct, I apologize) that Conan Doyle's original Holmes had the same attitude towards the opposite gender, so it doesn't bother me as it does in other shows. Mary might be an exception to that. True, she is\was a spy and a killer, and has done awful things, but I like how she keeps Sherlock in line and how he enjoys working with her. Sometimes it looks like she would be his ideal partner, even if probably he prefers working with John because with him by his side his genius can shine better. TBH, I think that the SH depicted in Sherlock is the most faithful to the original version in the novel I've ever seen. What dragged me into the show was actually the photography, the way it captures London is intriguing to me, it's like it is really the main character in the show. Probably everything is exaggerated too much in the show, I agree that the villains are too villains and more often than not was you see it's not the truth. TBH, that last thing is something that has dragged me away from more than a show, I hate when there are too many twists in the story and you can't follow the course of the events without wondering if there will be a trick at some point. This hasn't happened yet with Sherlock, I suspect because each Season counts a very limited number of episodes. 

Did you watch the season yet? I HAVE SO MANY FEELINGS. HOLY SHIT WHAT A HOT MESS. (BREATHES INTO BROWN PAPER BAG). VENTED AT LENGTH. RECAPPED AT LENGTH. CAME THISCLOSE TO HANDING IN A RECAP MADE EXCLUSIVELY OF EMOJIS. NEED SOMEONE TO DISCUSS WITH AND CONFIRM THAT MY EYES SAW WHAT THEY SAW.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowbagger said:

Did you watch the season yet? I HAVE SO MANY FEELINGS. HOLY SHIT WHAT A HOT MESS. (BREATHES INTO BROWN PAPER BAG). VENTED AT LENGTH. RECAPPED AT LENGTH. CAME THISCLOSE TO HANDING IN A RECAP MADE EXCLUSIVELY OF EMOJIS. NEED SOMEONE TO DISCUSS WITH AND CONFIRM THAT MY EYES SAW WHAT THEY SAW.

Yes, sadly I've watched it, and I'm trying so hard to forget what I've watched, but so far it hasn't been possible! Where do I begin? There was no investigative tension whatsoever, I (as I assume every viewer in the world) realized what had happened to the guy in the car in E. 1 as soon as his case was introduced and in the other episodes there was no need to investigate since the villains were already known. That made the relationship between Sherlock and John much less interesting than it usually is. I'm not a "Johnlock" fan and I couldn't care less if they secretly feel the love that dare not speak its name or are just buddies that solve crimes together, but it's a fact that the show is built up on them and on how they interact with each other while solving crimes. There was almost none of it in this season. 

Why did they have to kill Mary off? I liked her character, even if she was a villain in some sense. It was interesting to see her interact with Sherlock and John; plus, if you have to kill her, why those annoying tapes? Which leads me to the final scene; that didn't look like a season finale, it was more appropriate as a series finale, but as far as I know S. 5 is on the way. There is no tension, no cliffhanger, leading to it.

Finally, what was up with Eurus? That was the most ridiculous thing ever to me! Villains in Sherlock are often just caricatures of villains, they are really over the top and clearly defeat every logic, but Eurus was beyond all of that. The plot had no substance, there were a lot of inconsistencies, nothing made sense in that final episode. I appreciated the intention to give Sherlock back his heart (for lack of better words) but that was not the way!

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 2

oh whom do I think I am kidding. I always have words.

I just...see, the thing is that I actually thought season four had more interesting ideas than season three did. Sherlock was less of a dick for no good goddamn reason. It did interesting things stylistically. For example the Christmas special started out with some of the dry wit that I remember from the Holmes novels. And the zig-zagging between Then and Now was conceptually interesting. But they just couldn't follow through and go anywhere meaty with it.

and I really think that that was the biggest problem with this last season over and above the usual. They just couldn't stick to properly exploring ONE idea. No, they'd throw 20000000000 ideas and images at the wall and then get bored and say 'SHERLOCK IS PRJNCESS MAGIC SPARKLES AND HIS HUGS CURE AIDS THE END'.

and yes, amen on the sidelining of john. I'm not really a johnlocker, but I loved their friendship in season one, and I always thought that the show suffered when it crawled too far up sherlock's (very shapely) bum and forgot that this is supposed to be a story about two friends having adventures.

and Mary. Oy. I liked her so much in the beginning. And then they turned her into this smirking irritant with superhuman skills that she is never allowed to concretely use except to do Magic Unspecified Hacking Or Superspy Stuff that John and Sherlock outsmart anyway. GodDAMN it, Moffat and gatiss. Poor Amanda abbington.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

oh whom do I think I am kidding. I always have words.

I just...see, the thing is that I actually thought season four had more interesting ideas than season three did. Sherlock was less of a dick for no good goddamn reason. It did interesting things stylistically. For example the Christmas special started out with some of the dry wit that I remember from the Holmes novels. And the zig-zagging between Then and Now was conceptually interesting. But they just couldn't follow through and go anywhere meaty with it.

and I really think that that was the biggest problem with this last season over and above the usual. They just couldn't stick to properly exploring ONE idea. No, they'd throw 20000000000 ideas and images at the wall and then get bored and say 'SHERLOCK IS PRJNCESS MAGIC SPARKLES AND HIS HUGS CURE AIDS THE END'.

Yes, I agree that, in some sense, this season, and in particular the finale, was way too much. I liked the Christmas Special, as you I found its concept very interesting and I'm not in principle against the idea that there was not an actual follow through when the regular season started. Sherlock continued to repeat that Moriarty was dead, after all, and he is always right...But then they replaced Moriarty with the far more over the top Eurus and with her cruel psychological tests which made no sense....until we  discovered that, all she needed to be a good girl was that her brother noticed and loved her. Sure, why not?

and yes, amen on the sidelining of john. I'm not really a johnlocker, but I loved their friendship in season one, and I always thought that the show suffered when it crawled too far up sherlock's (very shapely) bum and forgot that this is supposed to be a story about two friends having adventures.

I missed that part this season. As I said, I think one of the main reasons was that there was no serious crime to investigate on and no real brain teaser. Sure, in the second episode they replaced those things with the very gloomy plot about  the serial killer, but the suspense was simply not there. There were scary moments, maybe, but not actual tension, IMO. I liked the idea of John and Sherlock mourning Mary in their own way and then their hug in the final scenes, but those annoying tapes with Mary asking Sherlock to put himself in danger on purpose ruined the whole idea underneath. 

and Mary. Oy. I liked her so much in the beginning. And then they turned her into this smirking irritant with superhuman skills that she is never allowed to concretely use except to do Magic Unspecified Hacking Or Superspy Stuff that John and Sherlock outsmart anyway. GodDAMN it, Moffat and gatiss. Poor Amanda abbington.

Oh...I love that girl!  She might be a killer, a spy, a stuntwoman, a villain, but she is the only persons who put Sherlock in line somehow! I'm not sure why she was killed off (I would bet money on the fact she will come back to life in S. 5, if there is one) and the way that happened was highly exaggerated and defeated all the physics laws of my knowledge. Well, TBH, almost anything happened this season did...

Hum... It seems I am the only one who like this season, in particular the last episode. I was skeptical with the sister at the end of the second episode, but I find the third brilliant : funny, frightening, good ideas, artistic.