No Regrets

Help, I need some advice

15 posts in this topic

Posted

So this is kinda personal, but maybe someone's had similar experiences and has some advice:

I'm currently trying to finish my bachelor degree in nutritional science and I have my last ever (oral) exam in 2 weeks. I've failed it once already and I can take it 3 times in total. If I fail 3 times, I'm out, as in: I'm gonna get kicked out of university and all the hard work over the past few years will have been for nothing and I'll just be left with debts and no degree. 

Here's my problem: I'm suffering from extreme test anxiety. It's so bad that it takes a LOT of willpower on my part to even sit down and open my books, because just seeing the amount I have to learn scares the hell out of me. I should probably add that ever since I've suffered a stroke when I was 17, my ability to cope with stress has been awful and I have yet to figure out how to deal with it.

I'm just so scared that I'll mess up my entire career because of this. If I pass this damn exam, I'm done and everything's basically perfect. There's just a lot riding on this and I just wish I wouldn't have these horror scenarios in my head. 

Anyone have some advice? I'm willing to try anything at this point. :icon_neutral:

Posted

Are you currently on any anxiety medications or have you been on any in the past.  If you have had seizures or symptoms of seizures in the past you would have likely been prescribed clonazepam or Xanax. They ought to immediately relieve your anxiety, although there is a threat of addiction with Xanax.  If you haven't taken much or any of the medication before a 0.5 mg dosage will do the trick. DO NOT take with alcohol. although it may increase the intoxication effect, the sugar in the alcohol can eventually create more anxiety and hamper your efforts to study.

I wish I knew more to tell you. I hope all goes well. Keep a positive mind. Let yourself KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!

No Regrets likes this

Posted

Really sorry you are so stressed. Having a stroke at 17 must have been very traumatic and its left you feeling anxious which is compiling the situation… but I guess you know this. 

That’s a lot of pressure you are placing on yourself as well. Even if you don’t pass this time, its not the end of the world, surely. Perhaps you could think a little about what you might do should that happen. To remove the anxiety that everything is over if you do because it might not be that bad. Can you start over with your studies? Are there any other options for you? Maybe you can pick yourself up and try again…

If you feel fully prepared for the exam then perhaps your doctor can help with the nerves by prescribing a mild beta blocker or something. Just to take the edge of your anxiety. You could try homeopathy. I used Argent Nit for stage fright and it was so good. Completely took away the nerves yet I didn’t feel any side effects. I love the stuff. But again you’d need to ask your doctor, to make sure its okay to take with your other medication. Doctors don’t generally believe in homeopathy as its a bit hippy dippy for them but its worth a shot if he/she says its safe. Good luck. 

No Regrets likes this

Posted (edited)

@No Regrets, I am really sorry you are so stressed. Having a stroke at 17 must have been very traumatic and it is natural you are more afraid than usual for the same situation may repeat. I am an anxious person too and I  got more balance in my health as I started to make Mediation and Reiki. It is very helpfull  for person learning relax techiques and dont need to take medication, most of meds have too many side efects. Practice sports is helpful too if your heart condition allows that. Water sports are good for the less impact on muscles, bones, joints. I hope I had given you helpful tips. And remember, every problem has a solution, even it seems it had not. Crossing fingers for you to anchieve your goals and get well from your anxiety. Sending good vibes and lots of good Energy for you :)

Edited by spidergirl
No Regrets likes this

Posted

15 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Are you currently on any anxiety medications or have you been on any in the past.  If you have had seizures or symptoms of seizures in the past you would have likely been prescribed clonazepam or Xanax. They ought to immediately relieve your anxiety, although there is a threat of addiction with Xanax.  If you haven't taken much or any of the medication before a 0.5 mg dosage will do the trick. DO NOT take with alcohol. although it may increase the intoxication effect, the sugar in the alcohol can eventually create more anxiety and hamper your efforts to study.

I wish I knew more to tell you. I hope all goes well. Keep a positive mind. Let yourself KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!

Thanks so much for this. I've taken Diazepam back then and that helped, but it makes you really tired. I'm not sure if Xanax is available in Germany, but I'll find out.

14 minutes ago, Spaced_up said:

That’s a lot of pressure you are placing on yourself as well. Even if you don’t pass this time, its not the end of the world, surely. Perhaps you could think a little about what you might do should that happen. To remove the anxiety that everything is over if you do because it might not be that bad. 

I know. It all comes down to my own negative way of thinking. It's something I really need to work on. It's weird since when it comes to others I'm always so positive and thinking of solutions. It's unfortunate I can't do the same for myself.

19 minutes ago, Spaced_up said:

If you feel fully prepared for the exam then perhaps your doctor can help with the nerves by prescribing a mild beta blocker or something. Just to take the edge of your anxiety. You could try homeopathy. I used Argent Nit for stage fright and it was so good. Completely took away the nerves yet I didn’t feel any side effects. I love the stuff. But again you’d need to ask your doctor, to make sure its okay to take with your other medication. Doctors don’t generally believe in homeopathy as its a bit hippy dippy for them but its worth a shot if he/she says its safe. Good luck. 

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely try that. 

5 minutes ago, spidergirl said:

@No Regrets, I am really sorry you are so stressed. Having a stroke at 17 must have been very traumatic and it is natural you are more afraid than usual for the same situation may repeat. I am an anxious person too and I  got more balance in my health as I started to make Mediation and Reiki. It is very helpfull  for person learning relax techiques and dont need to take medication, most of meds have too many side efects. Practice sports is helpful too if your heart condition allows that. Water sports are good for the less impact on muscles, bones, joints. I hope I had given you helpful tips. And remember, every problem has a solution, even it seems it had not. Crossing fingers for you to anchieve your goals and get well from your anxiety. Sending good vibes and lots of good Energy for you :)

Thank you so much. Meditation sounds good, too. Did you take classes or did you learn it by yourself?

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

Thanks so much for this. I've taken Diazepam back then and that helped, but it makes you really tired. I'm not sure if Xanax is available in Germany, but I'll find out.

I know. It all comes down to my own negative way of thinking. It's something I really need to work on. It's weird since when it comes to others I'm always so positive and thinking of solutions. It's unfortunate I can't do the same for myself.

Thank you so much. Meditation sounds good, too. Did you take classes or did you learn it by yourself?

I took classes with a good friend of mine who is master in Reiki and lately I take a weekly session with a small group which is leader by my friend. It is so good as every Monday evening most of my stress is absorbed by universe, lol. What also helped me with my anxiety was starting doing walking and hidrobike, which is practicing many exercices in a bike having water by my waiste in a swimming pool three times by week. I have started doing Meditation one year and half ago and my life really changed for better. :)

Edited by spidergirl
Radar and No Regrets like this

Posted

3 hours ago, spidergirl said:

I took classes with a good friend of mine who is master in Reiki and lately I take a weekly session with a small group which is leader by my friend. It is so good as every Monday evening most of my stress is absorbed by universe, lol. What also helped me with my anxiety was starting doing walking and hidrobike, which is practicing many exercices in a bike having water by my waiste in a swimming pool three times by week. I have started doing Meditation one year and half ago and my life really changed for better. :)

Completely agree and confirm! Started doing Meditation 10 months ago and my life changed completely.

spidergirl likes this

Posted

Have you looked into Energy Tapping, or Brain Gym? Both are quick, in the moment, physical movements or touches you can do on yourself to relieve anxiety, focus better, or self calm. 

Posted

18 hours ago, spidergirl said:

14 hours ago, Radar said:

Completely agree and confirm! Started doing Meditation 10 months ago and my life changed completely.

This sounds promising. Thank you!

22 minutes ago, Irene said:

Have you looked into Energy Tapping, or Brain Gym? Both are quick, in the moment, physical movements or touches you can do on yourself to relieve anxiety, focus better, or self calm. 

Thank you! I'll check it out.

spidergirl likes this

Posted

On 16/01/2017 at 11:50 AM, No Regrets said:

Let us know how you get on No regrets. We will root for you. :danced::kiss:

Posted

Have you talked to your professor about this? Maybe s/he will be willing to make some adjustments to the exam process for you or find some kind of other solution. The extreme test anxiety coupled with the stroke making it even more difficult for you to deal with stress should give you a lot of leverage to force the professor to help you. If you can get a paper from a doctor, even better.

No Regrets likes this

Posted (edited)

On 19/01/2017 at 2:44 AM, Judith said:

Have you talked to your professor about this? Maybe s/he will be willing to make some adjustments to the exam process for you or find some kind of other solution. The extreme test anxiety coupled with the stroke making it even more difficult for you to deal with stress should give you a lot of leverage to force the professor to help you. If you can get a paper from a doctor, even better.

Judith, I cannot thank you enough for this piece of advice. My exam consisted of two oral exams with two different professors and I did talk to both of them a few hours before. They both told me not to worry, that they would go easy on me and give me all the time that I need to properly think about my answers. They couldn't have been nicer about it. And it worked. I got a "B" in both parts of the exam and I'm officially DONE! Again, THANK YOU.

Thanks to ALL of you.

Edited by No Regrets

Posted

4 hours ago, No Regrets said:

Judith, I cannot thank you enough for this piece of advice. My exam consisted of two oral exams with two different professors and I did talk to both of them a few hours before. They both told me not to worry, that they would go easy on me and give me all the time that I need to properly think about my answers. They couldn't have been nicer about it. And it worked. I got a "B" in both parts of the exam and I'm officially DONE! Again, THANK YOU.

Thanks to ALL of you.

Yay, congratulations!! :D

No Regrets likes this

Posted

4 hours ago, No Regrets said:

Thanks to ALL of you.

So glad for you! Congrats! :)

No Regrets likes this

Posted

13 hours ago, No Regrets said:

Thanks to ALL of you.

YAY! Very glad that it worked and the professors were understanding. Congratulations on graduating!

Tensor and No Regrets like this