Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Katya Ashley

HELLO ONE AND ALL, I'M DOING A STUDY

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Heya, my name is Katya and I'm from England and currently studying at the University of Portsmouth, Entertainment technology and Media. I am doing a ethnography on fan cultures online and i picked my favorite show of course to focus on- that i already am a huge fan of! BIG BANG THEORY!!

Now my report is on the fan communities, and the fans themselves, its quite broad i guess. My aim if anyone is interested,is chatting and sharing about why they are a fan, and how (how much of a fan are you? what do you feel defines you as a fan) is it just the show your interested in or do you also collect merchandise ( like myself :) ) - if so what ? what kind of merchandise and why. Literally any feedback will help :)- so if your a avid fan of the show and you immerse yourself with it on all platforms (tv, online, fan fiction, merch, visiting locations, met the cast etc)- to even just loving the shows and being part of these great communities online just to chat about the resent episode . 

Please feel free to reply whatever you like :)

Posted (edited)

On 2/2/2017 at 8:05 PM, Katya Ashley said:

is it just the show your interested in or do you also collect merchandise ( like myself :) ) - if so what ? what kind of merchandise and why.

In addition to the DVDs/Blurays, I've collected a few bits of merchandise.

I've got the Monopoly game and a Periodic Table Shower Curtain, but the rest of my purchases have been Amy related, rather than the whole show related.

I've got a full size, cardboard stand-up of Amy, an "I heart Amy Farrah Fowler" mug, and a Pop Vinyl AFF Figure.

589768c9e7f89_Amy1.jpg.846d8056aada28a318630cd886ad4dc4.jpg a52be77e9f062a1aeb03e472253fe000.jpg.d39f85544e807245e3531cd9f1cd4635.jpg 589768c796d9e_41KbMto8iL._SX425_.jpg.cd0d908dbf532ee6356bb3cb8c642d7b.jpg

Nearly forgot. I've also got an "I'm not insane. My mother had me tested" T-Shirt.

As to why I'm a fan, it's a three word answer.

Amy Farrah Fowler. :maninlove: 

ETA: I read and write fanfiction.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
Desdemona likes this

Posted

As for me,  I think  a fan will have a strong desire to express his or her feelings in public (online or offline)  for the things or people they love, pursue or support, not having to do this always but definitely in a way .  sorry I 'm not a native english speaker if my words get you confused. 

Katya Ashley likes this

Posted

On 05/02/2017 at 6:06 PM, Stephen Hawking said:

In addition to the DVDs/Blurays, I've collected a few bits of merchandise

[...]

As to why I'm a fan, it's a three word answer.

Amy Farrah Fowler. :maninlove: 

ETA: I read and write fanfiction.

Thankyou so much for your help and response :shy:!! (i just quoted a short bit of your response just to say thanks!).

Everything you said was really useful info! 

6 hours ago, sdffcx said:

As for me,  I think  a fan will have a strong desire to express his or her feelings in public (online or offline)  for the things or people they love, pursue or support, not having to do this always but definitely in a way .  sorry I 'm not a native english speaker if my words get you confused. 

I agree! don't worry i totally understand what your saying :shy:, thanks for the help and response!!

Posted

20160921_215121.png