Tripper

1015 'The Locomotion Reverberation' (February 9)

1 hour ago, Itwasdestined said:

Howard and Bernie were given the best lines again. I'm finding them consistently the best comedically this season and since it's supposed to be a comedy that's important to me. They gave me the laugh out loud moments for the night, although I did get a big laugh out of Sheldon drawing Charlie Brown from the fake equation.

Amy and Sheldon dragged on a bit too much in both the early scene and the tag. I actually generally like their interaction when it's more intellectual or even deep and meaningful. I don't like the whiny Amy and the relentlessly annoying Sheldon we got tonight.

The panic over Penny's complaints after the TR proved an over reaction. I found it reflective from Penny that she wants more than she's got rather not being happy. In an ideal writers world this would lead to a great arc with Lenny moving forward. In the REAL world of these writers it will disappear behind the kitchen island never to be seen again.

I love Sheldon ( unusual for a Lenny). A lot of his traits from his original characterisation are inherent in me in a non exaggerated way. My friends call me Sheldon. But there's just something not right about him these days which just irks me sometimes. I just find his intelligent ramblings of the early seasons have been increasingly replaced by a more juvenile demeanour. One of my favourites was his comment comparing Leonard's chances of sex with Penny being as likely as a man in a black hole looking for a circuit with a flash light. Now we get poodle referencesemoji1304.pngin turning him more "human"my Sheldon has lost his acid wit. I just find a lot of his jokes laboured these days which is a shame when I recall his halcyon days.

Raj and Stuart? Just no.

Despite all these reservations, I still enjoyed the episode but mainly because of Howard and Bernie's zingers. Another filed under watched but probably not repeated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hear, hear about Sheldon. I am too a Lenny with a love for the old school Sheldon. I really miss him, r.i.p. !

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Itwasdestined said:

Howard and Bernie were given the best lines again. I'm finding them consistently the best comedically this season and since it's supposed to be a comedy that's important to me. They gave me the laugh out loud moments for the night, although I did get a big laugh out of Sheldon drawing Charlie Brown from the fake equation.

Amy and Sheldon dragged on a bit too much in both the early scene and the tag. I actually generally like their interaction when it's more intellectual or even deep and meaningful. I don't like the whiny Amy and the relentlessly annoying Sheldon we got tonight.

The panic over Penny's complaints after the TR proved an over reaction. I found it reflective from Penny that she wants more than she's got rather not being happy. In an ideal writers world this would lead to a great arc with Lenny moving forward. In the REAL world of these writers it will disappear behind the kitchen island never to be seen again.

I love Sheldon ( unusual for a Lenny). A lot of his traits from his original characterisation are inherent in me in a non exaggerated way. My friends call me Sheldon. But there's just something not right about him these days which just irks me sometimes. I just find his intelligent ramblings of the early seasons have been increasingly replaced by a more juvenile demeanour. One of my favourites was his comment comparing Leonard's chances of sex with Penny being as likely as a man in a black hole looking for a circuit with a flash light. Now we get poodle referencesemoji1304.pngin turning him more "human"my Sheldon has lost his acid wit. I just find a lot of his jokes laboured these days which is a shame when I recall his halcyon days.

Raj and Stuart? Just no.

Despite all these reservations, I still enjoyed the episode but mainly because of Howard and Bernie's zingers. Another filed under watched but probably not repeated.

Yes about Sheldon. The original carnation of Sheldon was an insufferable, arrogant genius. Who could not relate to any human being on any lvl. Since Season 4 the beggining of "Evolved" Sheldon. A lot of his inherent characteristics and early Cannon. Like you said his intelligent ramblings. Have been replaced by an over Grown, juvenile demeanour. I remember s4 Priya was like "Oh Sheldon I see you haven't changed!" Sheldon: "Why would I change?". He was so deadpan. I'm fine with Sheldon changing. If they are consistent with it. Reliability is my major gripe. It's almost like he's a hit a growth spurt and is going through puberty lol. I agree though decent episode. But not the best. 

Edited by 3ku11

*reads through post after post about Sheldon being OOC in an episode where he's excited about trains*

LoKMakoWTFfacepalm.gif.bc8838e597b5cd16fdbcc663fb4edfc6.gif

Anyway...

I thought it was a fun episode overall. Had some laugh out loud moments for me.

I liked that we got an update to the guy's work. It's been a while since we heard about it and it's good to see Sheldon finally had a breakthrough with the maths - even better than they initially planned. I find the colonel really funny for some reason. lol

Sheldon really getting into his train mania felt very reminiscent of old school episodes where he would do pretty much the same and go overboard with whatever excited him then. I'm finding the character changes while still retaining certain core elements very consistent and it's nice to see at least one of the guys still wholeheartedly indulging his nerdy hobbies.

The girl's plot had certainly a bit more meat to it though. I did find Penny's worries very relatable in there is indeed some pressure to conform to certain expectations. A few episodes ago she was upset that her relationship wasn't lovey-dovey enough, now she's upset she hasn't made enough progress after her marriage - sounds like exactly the complaints many Lenny fans have voiced in the past. The show acknowledging these things is always a good sign for me so fingers crossed they'll work on that!

• Like 6

*reads through post after post about Sheldon being OOC in an episode where he's excited about trains*LoKMakoWTFfacepalm.gif.bc8838e597b5cd16fdbcc663fb4edfc6.gif

Anyway...

I thought it was a fun episode overall. Had some laugh out loud moments for me.

I liked that we got an update to the guy's work. It's been a while since we heard about it and it's good to see Sheldon finally had a breakthrough with the maths - even better than they initially planned. I find the colonel really funny for some reason. lol

Sheldon really getting into his train mania felt very reminiscent of old school episodes where he would do pretty much the same and go overboard with whatever excited him then. I'm finding the character changes while still retaining certain core elements very consistent and it's nice to see at least one of the guys still wholeheartedly indulging his nerdy hobbies. 

I have no problem with the Sheldon plot and don't think it was OOC. There are plenty of stories over the years where he's been more than just the theoretical physicist with some social issue. I just personally think the quality of the dialogue he spouts out has declined over the years and the tone isn't quite as high brow, intellectual and cleverly humorous. He still makes me laugh but not as easily, frequently or loudly. I guess I prefer Schrodinger cats to pet poodles.

• Like 3

this show makes me understand what it must be like to be a billionaire. Hear me out. What must it be like to know that you can call on character actors this well-loved and this good, and then throw them away on three hastily crapped-out lines? The colonel. Christopher Lloyd. The academy-award-winning actor they got to play meemaw in that wretched episode? But I get it. Other shows would give their left nut/tit (delete as appropriate) for actors of that calibre to star in their shows. But tbbt can afford to have f Murray Abraham play, like, a doorman with no lines. This is privilege, pure and simple.

otherwise this episode was a big old shrug. Howard and Bernie were funny. Kunal nayyar cracked me up with his hissed 'She was blowing a spit bubble. It was ADORABLE!'. Something about that line reading slew me. Poor nayyar. He deserves better.

Amy started off promisingly with her renaissance dance and her red bra strap and her overpronounced Spanish. But the whining about marriage and not getting any younger made me roll my eyes. Whatever, I'll chalk it up to her well-documented desire to join in with whatever girl talk penny and Bernie have going on, rather than any sincere feeling.

Sheldon was - you know - also there? I do like his enjoyment of trains, but I am slightly worried that they went the 'infantilisation' route with him this episode? With people buying him expensive gifts (#romantic!Shelnard#the truth is in there) to get him out of the house and so on? Which, combined with his Wet Overalls scene, just feels like they're sexualising the little boy? It's creepy.

I don't know. It's not the worst but I'd grade it somewhere in the low 'C's.

• Like 8

Fun episode, actually thought it was better than some of the more recent ones.

Raj and Stuart sucked into babysitter mode can be seen as a bit repetitive now but I thought it actually played out quite well in this one. Bernie trying go on a girls night out like the old days can be quite a real life issue with new mothers trying to get back to work for example or back to some of the things they used to do previously with their friends. Bernie had some really great lines in this one and so did her other half, Melissa and Simon have been real stars this season.

The guys plot was funny, some of it reminded of the chemistry they had in earlier seasons that has been lost a little especially this season. Loved Sheldon's reaction to the gift and hug he gave Leonard, nothing wrong with a bit of Shelnard bromance on display it's one of the key cornerstones of this show. Sheldon getting so into trains is a given lol and with predictable results with him going on and on about it to Amy and then going over the top with the engine lol.

I thought the scene when they tried to trick him and he saw right through it was an absolute classic Big Bang and hope it gets the praise it deserves. I thought Sheldon would see right through them but the Charlie Brown thing was just brilliant. Well he did complete what you drew Leonard lmao!

Went into great detail about the Shamy interactions on the respective thread but I enjoyed seeing some more of the domestic side of them. Liked seeing more objects around their place now for example the shower curtain.

The Penny car scene for me still didn't really address the root cause to her recent angst. We get a little bit more detail about what is going on in her head but she just seems unhappy with a lot of things and for some bizarre reasons feels pressured which I don't quite get. I would't say Leonard is putting pressure on her at all from what we have seen on the show. She is still young, there is no rush. I do wonder where the writers are going with this, maybe we get a reveal that her career is the problem here and the writers go back to a previous idea about changing her career? I don't think they are ready for kids, I think Penny would admit that as well.

Nothing wrong with Amy wondering about the ring or if there is indeed any sadness abut it not happening yet. Like I said on the Shamy thread most engagements are usually a sudden surprise, Amy has known about the ring for some time. I think it's 'natural' she wonders and it would be more 'unnatural' if she didn't.

Zero problem with the train tag scene, Sheldon is her soul mate who she loves and desires so there is no issue from me about her dreaming that. Reminded me of the kiss scene 'Can't talk in the zone' from years ago. I am happy that the female shippers in our community really enjoyed it, I found it absolutely hilarious especially Amy's facial expressions and body language. I would love for the writers to have a scene like that with Sheldon dreaming of Amy, and like with this one I would have no problem with that if they did. Seems pretty natural stuff to me for them to have thoughts like that.

Much better episode IMO.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 5

41 minutes ago, Itwasdestined said:

I have no problem with the Sheldon plot and don't think it was OOC. There are plenty of stories over the years where he's been more than just the theoretical physicist with some social issue. I just personally think the quality of the dialogue he spouts out has declined over the years and the tone isn't quite as high brow, intellectual and cleverly humorous. He still makes me laugh but not as easily, frequently or loudly. I guess I prefer Schrodinger cats to pet poodles.

They did that with all the guys though. When they started out the show they threw in every science joke they could think of and it wasn't just a trademark of Sheldon - the guys' dialogue was almost interchangeable in that regard which always makes it so weird to me during rewatches when Penny is singling out Sheldon as the weird one when Leonard is barely able to say a sentence to her without any science references she doesn't understand. Anyway, I guess there's just so many times you can joke about Schrodinger's cat.

17 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

Sheldon was - you know - also there? I do like his enjoyment of trains, but I am slightly worried that they went the 'infantilisation' route with him this episode? With people buying him expensive gifts (#romantic!Shelnard#the truth is in there) to get him out of the house and so on? Which, combined with his Wet Overalls scene, just feels like they're sexualising the little boy? It's creepy.

I honestly don't get where that idea of "infantilisation" comes from. Is it because the gift has something to do with trains? Would you feel the same if Leonard gave him a voucher for a trip in San Francisco so he can have a romantic weekend with Amy? Would that be "grown up" enough??

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, April said:

They did that with all the guys though. When they started out the show they threw in every science joke they could think of and it wasn't just a trademark of Sheldon - the guys' dialogue was almost interchangeable in that regard which always makes it so weird to me during rewatches when Penny is singling out Sheldon as the weird one when Leonard is barely able to say a sentence to her without any science references she doesn't understand. Anyway, I guess there's just so many times you can joke about Schrodinger's cat.

I honestly don't get where that idea of "infantilisation" comes from. Is it because the gift has something to do with trains? Would you feel the same if Leonard gave him a voucher for a trip in San Francisco so he can have a romantic weekend with Amy? Would that be "grown up" enough??

the infantilisation isn't about the trains. I meant specifically this whole 'let's ship him off to get him out of the way' and to a degree even his burbling excitedly to a bored amy who doesn't want to drive him places. Which gave me a definite 'bored mommy' vibe. Now, to be clear: Nobody is saying amy has to be killed with excitement about trains, or that Sheldon should have outgrown trains. At least I am not. But I feel like THE SHOW is presenting it as some sort of pursuit that can be used as something shiny to get him out of the grownups' hair (of course the grownups come crawling back!). I don't know, it seemed off to me.

• Like 2

I think it was clear what the motivation was behind giving him the gift and that was obviously to get him out of the way so they could work on their project. I can actually understand their viewpoint. Sheldon's role for now was pretty much done, the math was complete and the prototype looked almost finished judging by the smaller one in their lab. Sheldon just had an idea to make it even smaller, which meant more work for all of them, so I get their motivation. Of course if this was real life they would have just talked it out.

Was there some kind of infantilization going on? I don't think so not in this case. What I find way more egregious are the lame ass jokes of Sheldon is a child often coming out of Leonard's mouth on a regular basis (not just Leonard they all do it, but it's part of his banter repertoire a lot more). Even if hypothetically the show went on for many more years with Shamy married and had kids they would still have those cheap gags in there that Sheldon is a child. But despite it bugging me I get why they are in there and all the characters have jokes I would just kill off now they are older and their lives have changed but I am not a writer.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

the infantilisation isn't about the trains. I meant specifically this whole 'let's ship him off to get him out of the way' and to a degree even his burbling excitedly to a bored amy who doesn't want to drive him places. Which gave me a definite 'bored mommy' vibe. Now, to be clear: Nobody is saying amy has to be killed with excitement about trains, or that Sheldon should have outgrown trains. At least I am not. But I feel like THE SHOW is presenting it as some sort of pursuit that can be used as something shiny to get him out of the grownups' hair (of course the grownups come crawling back!). I don't know, it seemed off to me.

I see what you mean but I personally don't see that kind of thing automatically as a "grown up vs infant" dynamic. I would go as far and maybe say that Leonard treats Sheldon like a kid because that has been a running gag since what? S1? But even that wasn't part of the joke here as it often was in the past. And even more so I don't see it from Sheldon himself or the show saying that he is a kid or whatever. For Sheldon that trip is a genuinely great gift and he should be allowed to be happy about that - and obviously the show will exaggerate that for comedic effect.

I mean, the show isn't exactly subtle when it comes to these things. The writers have always been happy to throw in some joke about Sheldon being an overgrown kid but to their defence they haven't done that here. If that were the point they would have hit us over the head with it, let's be real.

• Like 1

Quick question:

Did Sheldon break his contract by dissing engineers or Howard's engineering prowess? They signed the contract in Season 9 when agreeing to work on the project. I guess maybe it was solely when working on the project he wasn't allowed to do that. But I thought perhaps it might have been more general as this is the first time I can recall he said something like that for a while, though granted I haven't been looking for it in dialogue and Howard has been away from Sheldon and others a lot this season for obvious reasons.

Continuity error?

• Like 2

I liked the episode, wasn't a great one, but good. Laughed most of the time, not a lot of LOL's, my biggest laugh was definitely Bernadette's SpongeBob and Patrick. She has some gems every now and then (I think "You don't know his life" is one of the shows best lines ever, to a great extent due to Melissa's hilarious delivery). 

Sheldon did seem a little OOC to me. I don't hate him! :) I think the "Lenny's hate Sheldon" proposition is an inaccurate generalization. I liked his rambling and excitement about the trains (which is also part of his autistic spectrum disorder, clearly an instance of the "Restricted Interests" symptom category). What bothered me was his reaction to Leonard and Howard's attempt to trick him. I would expect him to solve it even if he got that they were tricking him, unable to resist the urge to do so. I think it would have been funnier if he said that he is on to them (which by itself is a progress for him) and refuse to help initially but eventually become to bothered by it and fix it, including the Charlie Brown drawing :). but that's JMO.

I liked that for most of it we had fun good friend Penny, it's been a while since she appeared... I also like awkwardly enthusiastic Amy :)

I think Penny is unclear on what she wants. On the one hand, she mourns the lose of her youth, on other hand, it may be that she feels a little stagnant. I think she doesn't know, at the moment, what kind of step she wants to take and when. If she had an idea she could start advancing it simply by talking to Leonard. I'm quite sure he would get quickly on board if she wants to save for a house of try for a baby. She needs to do some thinking. Maybe I am a minority here but I don't think they are not ready for a baby. They have Sheldon's surrogate parents for years now and he is a very difficult baby! :scratchhead:Sure Penny should mature somewhat but many parents can be immature in some respects, it doesn't necessarily make them bad parents, we can always grow and mature not matter how old we are and what roles we occupy... Leonard IMO would be a great father, probably trying to give his child(/ren) the love that his mother denied him. I don't see how Howardette were (and are) more ready to be parents than Lenny are.

I felt for Amy. She knows about the ring for what? about a year now? and they have been living together for a while now. If I were her I would wonder and be upset about that too. I think someone should talk to Sheldon to figure that out, maybe he is afraid to scare her off or something like that...

I didn't mind the tag. I'm a girl but I don't find Jim very attractive (I prefer a bearded Johnny :icon_biggrin:). I found it moderately funny, especially the part with the water.

Edited by bfm
adding the part about Amy
  • Like 2

Found the episode pretty boring. It certainly wasn't the worst, but that's the best thing I can say about it.

I found Penny's issue realistic, I just don't understand why she doesn't discuss these things with her husband. 

• Like 7

For me this episode was better than the other one of the last week!The locomotion Reverberation is very hilarious the story with Sheldon,howard and Leonard was very funny and I laugh many times!the tag scene was AMAZING!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

I didn't like the episode. It wasn't offensive or actively bad such as for example Itchy Brain or Speckerman, but it was, IMO, unfunny, uninteresting, and all around an I couldn't care less about it episode. A lot of the jokes felt repetitive for me, and the situations from which they arose labored to say the least. I experienced no laugh out loud moments, and could hold no interest in the adventures of characters I used to love. It is worrying to me that I don't seem to be fulfilled by an episode with no Lenny slight. What that is saying to me is that my dislike of the show in its current state runs even deeper. Seems it's almost time for me to pack it up in regards to TBBT. I do believe I close to being at the point of no return.

• Like 6

So sad to watch Lenny on Tbbt these days, as the writers clearly don't have a clue what they want to do with Lenny.

We could have all kinds of stories who fits for a newlywed couple, but the writers seems to be completely stuck. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Lagernisse said:

So sad to watch Lenny on Tbbt these days, as the writers clearly don't have a clue what they want to do with Lenny.

We could have all kinds of stories who fits for a newlywed couple, but the writers seems to be completely stuck. 

Almost 12 hours went over. And now it strucks and bothers me. What on earth is Leonard doing with his 4.000 dollars? In stead of spending it on a nice time with Penny, he buys something nice for Sheldon. Yeah I get it, its for the comedy. But for a shipper it´s a stab in the heart after burping Leonard and complaining Penny. Where is the time that Leonard would have bought something incredibly romantic stuff for his love of his life.... 

Edited by john2p
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, john2p said:

Almost 12 hours went over. And now it strucks and bothers me. What on earth is Leonard doing with his 4.000 dollars? In stead of spending it on a nice time with Penny, he buys something nice for Sheldon. Yeah I get it, its for the comedy. But for a shipper it´s a stab in the heart after burping Leonard and complaining Penny. Where is the time that Leonard would have bought something incredibly romantic stuff for his love of his life.... 

For 4000 dollar Leonard could buy all kinds of stuff from the "dirty store" to his wife. :icon_biggrin:

Edited by Lagernisse
  • Like 2

I gave it an ok.

I literally walked away about half way through to do house work and kind of sorta watched.  That's how interesting it was to me but they still get the ratings.  It's a win all around and trust me I know one viewer isn't going to make a difference if I did switch the channel to something else.  But yes chores sounded more fun than what I was watching.

Maybe next episode will capture my interest!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bfm said:

I liked the episode, wasn't a great one, but good. Laughed most of the time, not a lot of LOL's, my biggest laugh was definitely Bernadette's SpongeBob and Patrick. She has some gems every now and then (I think "You don't know his life" is one of the shows best lines ever, to a great extent due to Melissa's hilarious delivery). 

"You don't know his life!" is probably my favorite Bernadette line ever!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john2p said:

I thought he said he had it for six years.

Not sure what everyone means when they say Lenny aren't ready to be parents, especially looking at the sole parents of the group. Both are significantly more mature than Howard and much more patient and nurturing than Bernadette. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, DaisyJane said:

Not sure what everyone means when they say Lenny aren't ready to be parents, especially looking at the sole parents of the group. Both are significantly more mature than Howard and much more patient and nurturing than Bernadette. 

Howardette have always done the firsts, first to get engaged, live together, get married and have a child. They are surprisingly mature at times as a couple, individually of course they have their moments. We also know they talked about the prospect of having children one day more than once.

Maybe if children was the definite thing missing in Lenny's relationship right now and they discussed it then I might in my opinion think they are ready. But right now Penny seems all over the place, she doesn't seem to know what she wants. A child might not be the actual answer.

19 hours ago, Jonny said:

Howardette have always done the firsts, first to get engaged, live together, get married and have a child. They are surprisingly mature at times as a couple, individually of course they have their moments. We also know they talked about the prospect of having children one day more than once.

Maybe if children was the definite thing missing in Lenny's relationship right now and they discussed it then I might in my opinion think they are ready. But right now Penny seems all over the place, she doesn't seem to know what she wants. A child might not be the actual answer.

According to this episode Howard is not the greatest father on earth. I don't think he is bad, I think the "don't call Howard" comment was mainky for humor, but I don't think he has become much more mature. 

I'm not saying a kid is THE CURE for Penny, frankly because I have no idea, IMO Penny has no idea and needs to figure this out. But generally speaking, independent of this unclear thing that is going in with Penny that the writers  might drop as they do so frequently, I think they would be great parents. I believe they will step up and do their best and I certianly don't think they will be clueless and all over the place, they havr developed many strategies taking care of Sheldon...

Edited by bfm
typo

I don't know. It's not the worst but I'd grade it somewhere in the low 'C's.

Agree 1000%

Enviado desde mTalk
  • Like 3