Tripper

1018 'The Escape Hatch Identification' (March 9)

I laughed a lot watching this episode, much better than the last new one, at least for me.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SRAM said:

I laughed a lot watching this episode, much better than the last new one, at least for me.

Agreed. The supposedly awful Lenny episode was nothing. Leonard just made the mistake of calling his mother. Any argument they had Penny was right. The batman thing in the tag was a bit weird.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Very good episode. In terms of laugh out loud one of the best episodes they have done in some time. Stuart stole the episode for me LOL. He's so pathetic. But he is endering in a way. I thought a lot of it was very refreshing. The way they acknowledged the Third Party Issues in all relationships. TPTB are aware of Lenny unconsiousley using roomates as buffers to avoid their own marital problems. I agree in this case their was no marital argument. Leonard prob just made the mistake of calling his Mother. I thought Lenny were really sweet most of the episode. Penny feels a bit more softer then previous episodes. She is not as snarky. And was really sweet to Leonard most of the episode.

Shamy's Third Party. Is Sheldon relying on his old room as some kinda escape clause. In case he doesen't want to be trapped in a relationship with Amy. Amy's defensive tone, suggests her own insecurities too. Thought a lot of character development went on here. Kinda puts the next episode Penny/Raj into perspective. The batman thing in the tag I didn't get either. I guess Sheldon using Batman to avoid his issues with Amy? I don't know. Overall Very Good I Well vote.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Stuart stole the episode for me LOL

Agree.. Stuart and Leonard´s mom were fun...  great episode.. light, fun and no drama in the end.....

• Like 4

Was the Batman figure a sign of Amy being nice to Sheldon because he's upset ? A concession because at least they don't need another living person ?

• Like 4

I'm not getting it. Can someone please tell me where I was supposed to laugh and I can go back and watch it again to see what I missed. Being thankful for small mercies, at least they didn't blow Lenny up or even break them up. They live to fight another day. Enough with the cliches.

• Like 2

just like I thought from the TR, a really cool funny ep, I see no problems with Shamy or Lenny. If anything , I think Howardette have a problem cause Stuart will definitely try everything to stay with them permanently.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, ajond said:

I'm not getting it. Can someone please tell me where I was supposed to laugh and I can go back and watch it again to see what I missed. Being thankful for small mercies, at least they didn't blow Lenny up or even break them up. They live to fight another day. Enough with the cliches.

They haven't broken up since Season 3. I don't think that was going to happen in this episode. I thought it was funny. I'm not hard to please.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Stewart really cracks me up. I am glad to hear that some others here are also giving him appreciation and acceptance to the gang. Anyone who says that he is a weak link on the show, well... sorry for all. You gotta love his new girlfriend. Isn't Lucille beautiful?

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 2

I thought the episode was very good. I laughed a lot. 

Good use of Beverly. She essentially gave the writers rationalization for having first \Sheldon and then Raj live with Lenny. I speculated along the lines of Lenny needing a common irritant to make up for them otherwise having little in common before so I was glad to hear the message.

• Like 3

Didn't enjoy it that much, not really a big fan of silly drama episodes and this was one of the worst for me since Viewing Party Combustion. A pretty mean at times episode, I think they got their humor wrong this week. Being nasty isn't always funny.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Didn't enjoy it that much, not really a big fan of silly drama episodes and this was one of the worst for me since Viewing Party Combustion. A pretty mean at times episode, I think they got their humor wrong this week. Being nasty isn't always funny.

Really? Mean and Nasty? Interesting varying point of views. I thought it was complete opposite. I thought it was fun and light hearted. But that's just my pov.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Really? Mean and Nasty? Interesting varying point of views. I thought it was complete opposite. I thought it was fun and light hearted. But that's just my pov.

Just one of those episodes that many might enjoy, I frankly didn't. I am sure I have some episodes I really love and others are less of a fan of.

• Like 5

What I got from this episode is that every character gets to talk about their problems on screen except for Leonard and Penny, who don't get to talk at all. It's just avoidance until it'll most likely all blow up in the finale. That's one way to write a couple, I guess.

The one good thing about this episode was Christine Baranski's acting. And I actually felt sorry for Raj. 

• Like 5

Was this supposed to be one 0f those Lenny is ruined episodes cos I didn't see it, I thought it was generally a very positive episode for them but then I;m always too positive in Lenny outlook so who knows? We got a compliment and a kiss in the cold open, they were a team in teasing Sheldon, a beautifully generous couple who shared concern for a down on his luck friend and we even goto to see them talk  talk about this week's Lenny 'fight". I wish the writers and fans would find an alternative word for 'fight'. Most of the stuff going on this season with them really hasn't elevated beyond a bit of to and fro about minor problems. 

There is truth to what Beverly says but she's also a mischievous little imp who loves toying with everyone's minds. Sure we are regularly reminded of the ' what do we have in common' trope but to be honest they have spent an awful lot of time over 10 years talking about Sheldon on screen. Its mostly not the most memorable Lenny moments that the most ardent shippers want to reflect upon and treasure but like it or not, the topic of Sheldon in their conversations has loomed large for much longer than since the dreaded Season Hate and beyond. I don't agree with the characterisation of their marriage not being the vibrant version that should be seen in a two year old marriage. The writers do seem to be too keen on showing them more in the crusty old Al and Peg Bundy/Roseanne and Dan long suffering parent/husband and wife comedy trope with Sheldon their child whose departure has created an unjustified Empty Nest vibe with Lenny that needs filling with Raj because you know parents run out of things totally about when their kids leave home. But it just doesn't worry me and it certainly doesn't signify the unavoidable demise of Lenny being portrayed by some with good reason in their mind. I still bond with their story even though its as the 25 year married 50 year old, not as the newly weds from the 90s that I should be seeing in the Lenny story. i felt it was good Lenny tonight. Not great but good. Shamy and Howardette got bed time talk tonight while Lenny got stuck in their permanent kitchen island space. Wouldn't have hurt for them to have done some of their talks in bed for old time sake!

I liked Raj tonight for the majority of the episode. They did seem to drag out the Raj is the new Sheldon playbook a bit too much with the famous Sheldon sneaking into the bedroom and waking up Lenny being replace with Raj in Howardette's bedroom. Overall, he was reasonable Raj, not douche Raj, although still don't get the sudden Raj is destitute storyline.

Continuing to love Bernadette's cameos. Just about every line she gets is a zinger this season. Stuart was consistently funny without being depressing tonight.

I found Shamy quite cute tonight as they dealt with their issue. Like Lenny, they can fluctuate between good and bad characterisation of their relationship even though some think they are sunshine and lollypops in comparison to Lenny. But I liked that Beverly pointed out they do have issues.

A good solid episode for me

• Like 3

Penny and Leonard are not like newlyweds in the classic sense. We'd be unfair to hope for traditional  newlywed behaviour from them and to be disappointed when we don't see it. Traditionally, the view is  honeymoon couples have never had coitus with anyone else and probably not even with each other, so they are happy with the novelty  of the'socially- approved copulation'  as Amy put it. Classic pairs have had something to look forward to that marriage would give them, which they are expected to like.  Being in each other's company round the clock for the first time has its ups and downs, certainly, but at first it's mostly ups as they settle into life in their first home.  It's supposed to take a long time before the glow wears off the effort of adjusting to the changes.

Lenny are not in that situation. They'd both been sexually active with other people before they were engaged and eventually they'd slept in the same bed pre-maritally many times. It doesn't mean they're never glad to be alone, it doesn't make them unfaithful, and it doesn't mean they're not in love, more that any sweetness and light was strung out over a long time before they were married. It suited them and so far as we know their parents weren't unhappy  about it. Their social circle didn't disapprove.  What it does mean is we can't expect them to behave like an old-fashioned  bride and groom even though they're only in their second year. If they seem like a couple who've been married ten years, that's fair enough. It doesn't worry me that  expressions such as 'You're a good friend and an even better husband' aren't floating around all the time.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I thought it was okay, I had some laughs and maybe I'll find it funnier in my second watch (that happens sometimes). I liked the last one better and was a little bored at certain points but overall it was okay.

I got to say Stuart actually made me laugh this time! Kevin was great in the bedroom scene and I prefer smootching Stuart than sad-sack-complete-failure Stuart.

I think Lenny were very cute and united for almost all of the episode. You can read my full opinion on the Lenny thread, I will only mention parts of it here.

I especially liked the cold open, not just for Lenny. I think it was a good tool to define the characters and couples. Each had their own reaction to Raj's post (well Shamy didn't talk about his post but not even thinking about it is also a reaction). You could see the differences between each couple and each character. And my Lenny were especially cute in this one! so united and not even having to discuss it to much before getting to a satisfactory decision for both of them.

Also liked the staircase scene, and Amy's jokes about Sheldon and his brain's bromance gave me some nice laughs. Shamy were generally supportive and they seem to be getting to know each other so well, not that they didn't before but now I feel it more than ever. I think they are truly ready to get engaged now.

Again I liked Lenny and Howardeete's couple-friendship. I know Sheldon is close and important to Lenny and would like to see them staying neighbors, even after leaving the building, but if I have to choose one couple to remain their couple-friends forever I choose Howardette (who knows? maybe their children will tie the knot one day and make them family :icon_cheesygrin:). 

And Beverely oh Beverely...The psychiatrist who decides which theories and research lines to follow according to what fits her the most and couldn't care less about her completely unethical behavior (i.e., treating your own children, which is a H-U-G-E no-no, I can't stress that enough). She's an emotionally abusive parent, and I wonder if she has a personality disoder (narcissistic? anti-social? the diagnostic categories in this realm aren't very good actually). I hope she doesn't do psychotherapy for anyone. This time you could really see how she enjoys messing with everyone (the great Chrisitne Bransky strikes again! :)). I hope people don't believe therapists are actually like that LOL. I believe most understand she is just a sitcom character but who knows?  I think Leonard shouldn't have raised his doubts in front of her, if what she said bothered him he should have talked to Penny after finishing the conversation. I don't blame him though. Becoming slightly anxious about what that mother, who made him feel like he is unworthy and much beneath her for his whole life, is much better than what could have been. Someone with such an awful childhood  would be at high risk of developing infantile/childhood depression with is a strong predictor for a wide range of mental illness and major physical health issues. Also, I didn't feel like he was blaming Penny, he was wondering about them, not her exclusively. I'm not even sure it was that serious, Raj said they were fighting and that Sheldon was upset in the same sentence. To me it was more about Raj feeling guilty about the possibility that he was causing problems. Lenny were surprised that he left, they didn't seem to think they had a rough fight. However I do believe the message is that Lenny have marital problems. Where are they going with it? I have no idea. What I want to see is Lenny having a good intimate discussion, like they used to have, in which we find out that there is something that is bothering them/Penny, maybe it is even something they have already been talking about this whole time but we don't know about it because all of their after-fight-talks were off-screen lately. I sure hope that is the case and not "they don't work as a couple", "they don't have anything in common" or "they're too different" because they have been together for years during which (due to being neighbors) they have spent an enormous amount of time together, more than an average couple, and that's even without counting their time as just friends, I can't believe all they ever did was watching Sheldon, having sex, making out and watching TV shows only one of them likes; and they are not that different! (see my comment on the Lenny thread on that). Regarding Shamy I think she actually made them take another step forward, even if she didn't mean to. Sheldon is recognizing his fears which may be stopping him from proposing. Being aware of that he may think about it more thoroughly and decide to finally take the big step. I really feel the proposal coming in the season finale. 

Edited by bfm
small correction in citing Raj
  • Like 4

I wonder if Leonard's line about Beverly not being his mom was him renouncing her or just a dig at her.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised with how mature Raj was in his talk with Stuart at Howardette's. Maybe there's hope for him after all.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Judith said:

I wonder if Leonard's line about Beverly not being his mom was him renouncing her or just a dig at her.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised with how mature Raj was in his talk with Stuart at Howardette's. Maybe there's hope for him after all.

He was joking that his mother cannot make people feel better

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bfm said:

He was joking that his mother cannot make people feel better

Oh ok. He said it seriously so I thought he might mean something more but I guess it was just a dig.

• Like 2

Ham in the house Howard? I'm shocked. 

Even my less observant friends, draw the line at ham/bacon/pork in the house.

They'll eat it outside, but refuse to have it in the house.

Posted (edited)

I had kind of thought they made up at the wedding and perhaps started afresh (Leonard and Beverly) I guess not lol. Though they have had times before when they seem to come to an understanding and in their next meeting they revert back again so maybe that was always to be expected.

I can believe that when she is in psychiatrist mode that's all she sees and from a comedy writing perspective being at odds with each other is seen to have more value.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 1