Stephen Hawking

Would you vote for America to join the EU?

Would you vote for America to join the EU?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. In a referendum, would you vote for America to join the EU?

• I'd vote YES, We should join.
    • I'd vote NO, We should not join.

This thread is primarily addressed to American FMs.

With Royal assent having been given, to the Bill allowing the United Kingdom to leave the European Union, I got to wondering.

I realize that America isn't eligible to join the EU but, for the sake of this thread, let's assume the rules were changed, to allow America to join.

My question is, if there were a Referendum on America joining the EU, how would you vote?

• Like 1

That doesn't really answer the question ShelledInCoopedUp.

Would you vote for America to join the EU, if there were a referendum?

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

That doesn't really answer the question ShelledInCoopedUp.

Would you vote for America to join the EU, if there were a referendum?

I'd sooner vote for the EU to be disbanded, but in any event, I add the virtues of the United States and Great Britain enabling for freedom and democracy and can only hope that the EU benefits from the same virtues in the event of a political and power shake up;

I'd hope that the EU continues to trade with the United States or Great Britain; not to consume the United States or Great Britain so I would, given the vote, vote NO, citing EU parliament and EU presidents who control everyone and everything who aren't voted for by anyone, anywhere.

The EU is where politicians go when their own country's had enough of them - The EU is simply unelected bureaucrats and what's worse - a couple of countries had the ingenious idea of banding together like a herd of cattle or a school of fish or those people who answer questions on Yahoo! Answers; they wanted to be safe from the Reich so they became a stupid Reich... I'm just paraphrasing Rick and Morty now, but you understand?

Edited by ShelledInCoopedUp

On 3/16/2017 at 5:36 PM, ShelledInCoopedUp said:

I'd sooner vote for the EU to be disbanded, but in any event, I add the virtues of the United States and Great Britain enabling for freedom and democracy and can only hope that the EU benefits from the same virtues in the event of a political and power shake up;

I'd hope that the EU continues to trade with the United States or Great Britain; not to consume the United States or Great Britain so I would, given the vote, vote NO, citing EU parliament and EU presidents who control everyone and everything who aren't voted for by anyone, anywhere.

The EU is where politicians go when their own country's had enough of them - The EU is simply unelected bureaucrats and what's worse - a couple of countries had the ingenious idea of banding together like a herd of cattle or a school of fish or those people who answer questions on Yahoo! Answers; they wanted to be safe from the Reich so they became a stupid Reich... I'm just paraphrasing Rick and Morty now, but you understand?

The EU is like the United States under the Articles of Confederation. The Countries of the EU are like the States, except that they have embassies and Ambassadors around the world, and EACH is in the United Nations.

Germany has a French embassy, and France has a German embassy, and neither has a Texas embassy, or embassy in Texas.

To become more like the EU, each state would have to build embassies in every other state (for starters), which would help to Create Jobs.

NO, for one reason we can't even keep our states to agree with each other much less getting the EU getting involved.

Besides I seem to remember something about Pilgrims or something like that, that happened a long time ago.

• Like 1

It's an insult for anyone to say that the EU is like the US, France is not Ohio.

US States can not by law leave the USA, countries can leave the EU; the EU is deluded.

On 21/03/2017 at 8:49 PM, Retired CreativeGenius said:

The EU is like the United States under the Articles of Confederation. The Countries of the EU are like the States, except that they have embassies and Ambassadors around the world, and EACH is in the United Nations.

Germany has a French embassy, and France has a German embassy, and neither has a Texas embassy, or embassy in Texas.

To become more like the EU, each state would have to build embassies in every other state (for starters), which would help to Create Jobs.

The EU is nothing but a fourth reich or a USSR; it's time it was disbanded for confusing itself with countries like the US.

• Like 1

I voted, 'no'. The citizenry of the United States takes the idea of national sovereignty quite seriously. The idea that we would join the EU and sign onto the premise of a body of un-elected (by U.S. voters) law makers to have some sort of legal authority over us is something that would never gain a lot of traction. Many Americans would prefer we were not even involved with the United Nations, and see that agency as an ineffective, money wasting, bureaucracy.  

Posted (edited)

Since I am Canadian I'll not vote. Just thought I'd point out that such a thing could not happen and it does not make much sense from my point of view. It seems that Canada would like free trade with the EU but no one here talks about being part of it. We cover six time zones already.

Edited by djsurrey

No, the United States should not join the EU.  They and their two neighbors should consider inviting Britain [or its successor states] to join NAFTA, should NAFTA continue.  The members of NAFTA [especially the US and Canada] have similar economies, it would be good to have a very different economy [England, Britain, or whatever] in for some diversity.

13 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Just thought I'd point out that such a thing could not happen

I'm aware it couldn't happen, hence why I said:-

for the sake of this thread, let's assume the rules were changed, to allow America to join.

The more pertinent question would be would the EU want the US, in it's current messed up situation?  

54 minutes ago, Tensor said:

The more pertinent question would be would the EU want the US, in it's current messed up situation?  

We've taken worse. Which, now I come to think of it, is one of the reasons so many in UK voted to leave.

6 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I'm aware it couldn't happen, hence why I said:-

for the sake of this thread, let's assume the rules were changed, to allow America to join.

I saw that.

I doubt there is a possibility that Americans are going to give up control of who can enter the US.

Most of my life Canadian citizens were able to travel in the US without a passport.

9-11 changed that.