Leonard Hofstadter's glasses

• 2 months later...

Did you notice that they have no lenses in them in some of the later episodes of Season 3... I am not sure when it changed to no lenses from lenses, but it was a bit weird to see without lenses. Its probably something to do with filming and lighting...

I'm not familiar with the brands, but to me it looks like they are real glasses. I mean Leonard has the kind of squint of a person used to wearing glasses.

of the glasses, I thought it was quite silly to say Leonard could not see without them in the sick sheldon episode. I mean I have thick glasses, but I can navigate without them no sweat. it just makes world blurry, not black, when you are without your glasses. Something which people with good eyesignt never seem to understand...

I'm not familiar with the brands, but to me it looks like they are real glasses. I mean Leonard has the kind of squint of a person used to wearing glasses.

of the glasses, I thought it was quite silly to say Leonard could not see without them in the sick sheldon episode. I mean I have thick glasses, but I can navigate without them no sweat. it just makes world blurry, not black, when you are without your glasses. Something which people with good eyesignt never seem to understand...

I think he wore them back in the day on Roseanne too. When he was married to Leslie Winkle's Character (Sara Gilbert's) Darlene. I too wear glasses, and thick at that, but I can see pretty well without them.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't think Leonard's glasses ever actually have lenses in them. There never appears to be any reflection to indicate a lens. Especially noticeable when you see Leonard side on.

As for the brands... he seems to alternate between two pairs of frames as the seasons progress. The thicker framed pair looks to have a logo on the left arm of his glasses. Maybe zoom in using Photoshop and see if you can make it out?

His thinner framed pair appears to have no visible branding. I just got myself a similar pair from the local glasses shop. I'm in Australia and shopped at Specsavers.

Given the wide range of designer specs out there, I don't think it would be difficult to get a similar matched pair if you really wanted them.

:icon_eek:

nick

• 1 month later...

On a bit of a sub-topic, for those of us who wear them, how do you clean your glasses?

I usually use warm water and a tissue. I won't talk to you if I see you clean them using your shirt.

I am trying a new method of running very warm to hot water over the lenses and then letting them dry naturally.

Seems to get rid of the grime, yet to see the full extent of whether or not I will get water droplet marks from letting them air dry.

Watch this space, I guess.

On a bit of a sub-topic, for those of us who wear them, how do you clean your glasses?

I usually use warm water and a tissue. I won't talk to you if I see you clean them using your shirt.

I am trying a new method of running very warm to hot water over the lenses and then letting them dry naturally.

Seems to get rid of the grime, yet to see the full extent of whether or not I will get water droplet marks from letting them air dry.

Watch this space, I guess.

I mostly just blow on them and use the soft cloth provided with the glasses. Once in a while, water, with soap if there's a stubborn mark.

Regarding navigating without glasses, Leonard got into the apartment when it was semi-dark. I think I might have a bit of a problem too, in such a situation, and I'm at just -4. I know people who are worse.

Every morning, I run them under tepid water with just a little liquid handsoap to wash off the grime from the day before. My glasses are 100% plastic so it's a very easy way to keep them sparkling - then I just dry them off on a soft, dry fluffy towel. :)

• 3 weeks later...

In Australia atm we have an ad on tv for one of our big private health care providers.

In the ad, a man is wearing the exact pair of glasses that Leonard wears at the start of season one. (the thicker black pair with the silver rectangular brand stamp on the side of the left arm)

Do you think YouTube have it posted so I can link you all to it?????? grrrrrrrr.

For any Aussie posters, it's the Medibank Private "Smile" ad with the girl and the guy in the elevator.

I clean with my glasses with whatever clothes i have on lol, but most of the time i wear contact lenses. Oh and i dont think Johnny wears glasses in real life, does he?

@Peter: DON'T WIPE YOUR GLASSES ON YOUR SHIRT !!!! grrrrrr lolz

If you look at Leonard side-on, you'll notice that there are no lenses in his on screen glasses.

As for irl, I'm unsure if Johnny wears them. No lenses on screen hints that he doesn't wear them off screen irl.

• 4 weeks later...

I searched and searched for a similar pair. I found a decent pair of black plastic frames that I'm happy with.

And yeah, Alien, I go hardcore OCD about little details.. it's a hobby of mine :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was watching the original unaired pilot episode last night.

In it, Leonard's glasses have lenses in them and I must say, I can understand why the producers used lensless frames once the series proper started.

The reflection of the lights on his glasses is very noticeable, and kinda annoying after a while.

Curious now to see if Amy's glasses are lensless... hmmmmm.

• 3 years later...