Tripper

episodes
1022 'The Cognition Regeneration' (April 27)

57 posts in this topic

Posted

Be better if Penny dated a smart/handsome guy? Really that would ruin the show. The point was Leonard was always her exception. And they always protected that. 

joyceraye and legacy99 like this

Posted

I'll admit I wasn't that keen on the ventriloquist routine, or the doll - but I regale at any opportunity to enjoy the women being quirky/nerdy and less parental figures for the guys.  

The women always being the adults in the room is tiring.  

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, wowbagger said:

But I will acknowledge that I liked Leonard so much more when he stopped thinking of his wife as a possession that could be stolen, and more as a fellow human being in a difficult position. 

Oh, and I love me some Zach. Sweet Zach with his open-hearted affection for the gang. D'awwww, cutie.

Yes, I absolutely loved Zach . I loved his affection for everyone Leonard, Penny and even Sheldon, when he said, he missed Sheldon and thought Sheldon was funny.

5 hours ago, wowbagger said:

So there's that. And also - ugh, look, insecurity is not a good look on Leonard. I understand that it is in character. I appreciate that the show acknowledged it, and that Leonard talked through his issues. But I hated, hated, hated that the show in some measure validated his insecurity by having Zach's partner throw a hissy and for Penny to say 'you were right, I was wrong'. Leonard was not right, show. When he admitted his issues and was supportive, then he was being right. And in the meantime, Penny is still unhappy, and that issue remains unaddressed. Leonard effortfully and begrudgingly came to the correct decision....and was promptly spared having to follow through on it. And that issue remains unaddressed.

19 hours ago, Jonny said:

They seemed to get on better in this one, actually communicate a bit more but I didn't like Leonard at all in this one, not in his dialogue with the guys and not some of his dialogue with Penny. Jealous Leonard or smug Leonard is never a good look for him.

i have to agree with the above bold statements . the more i think about it,  the more, i dislike how they validated Leonard's insecurity and his opinion over Penny's career happiness.  looks like Penny's " i hate my job" plots are not going to be resolved anytime soon. like i said,  it  felt pointless.

Edited by serena_1995
*his, not is
joyceraye, wowbagger, Jonny and 1 other like this

Posted

-The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Button :icon_cheesygrin:

-Sheldon's feeling old and unable to play online multiplayer games up to par. But his style's still solid.

-Check the myth anyways, Amy.

-"It's a bar, so pretty good". Maybe Penny's S11 plot should be addiction counseling.

-So the girl Zack's engaged to isn't actually named Sarah.

-What girl teenagers are humiliating Leonard?

-Sheldon mastered Hindi at 8. Poor Raj.

-Gyroscope isn't a long word.

-Zack didn't ask about the emergency. Doof.

-"Physicist. Baker. Lover. What can't I do?". 

-Now we need to see a Shamy tickle fight.

-"I can't do this without Me n u".

-Leonard and Sheldon used to date.

-I really wish Penny would quit that job, but then she'd just spend 2 seasons talking about how she hates her next job.

-Unicycle Sheldon! Scratch his nose lol.

-It's weird that all the characters except Sheldon and Amy are weighing in on this conversation of being around another person of the same gender considering the finale plot.

-"All cycles are dumb". Yeah, especially menstrual.

-Sheldon only quits talks about quitting.

-I give that Lenny scene TWO THUMBS UP.

-He quit being upset.

-The endgame for Sheldon will definitely be him making a big discovery.

-Amy shush, videogames and comic books are gr8. You're starting to sound like Ramona, when she took away his things so he'd work non-stop.

-Turned on by how selfless he's being.

-Zack's fiance is an enigma, but apparently the insecurity fight isn't exclusive to Lenny.

-Closeted ventriloquist. Finally, the guys throw it back on their wives. Hopefully no more "throw away Howard's things" scenes.

-Sheldon on stilts. Not the best closing tag but for once the rest of the episode semi-makes up for it. Good job, still more keen on the plot progressive final two episodes though.

joyceraye and jenafan like this

Posted

The Ventriloquist scene seems to have gone down so well judging from Social media and reviews of the episode! One US paper wants to see the dummy back again in the future and said they could call the episode 'The Ventriloquism Exorcism' LOL!

I think the writers could really have stumbled upon something creative with this though I guess we may never see it again.

JohnPhD, jenafan, April and 4 others like this

Posted

8 hours ago, serena_1995 said:

i have to agree with the above bold statements . the more i think about it,  the more, i dislike how they validated Leonard's insecurity and his opinion over Penny's career happiness.  looks like Penny's " i hate my job" plots are not going to be resolved anytime soon. like i said,  it  felt pointless.

I think one of the biggest problems in this episode was that they didn't have her (them) decide to start looking for a new job. Leonard was willing to cope with his feelings because she is so unhappy but it wasn't relevant anymore. A reasonable continuation would have been for them to then decide to make efforts to find a new job for them because she hates hers so much. But nope...the writers didn't go there. They don't seem to really want to go with a career change for her, at least not now. So the focus was on how Leonard feels about it. I don't see why this is Leonard's fault. He is a character, not the writer. He doesn't decide where the focus is and he didn't prevent her from taking the job. He was of the opinion you guys presented, that she should take that job and quit the one she hates and that his feelings should not prevent her from doing so and he should cope with them. It was somewhat like in "The 43 Peculiarity": he got that it was his problem, not hers, and that's in spite of having the others' support. He actually showed that he is more mature and considerate than their friends (in spite of his unfortunate "not smart" comment, which again, he regretted immediately). I guess I come across to some of you as too much of a Leonard apologist but I don't get why he is being accused (and as you see I do recognize his "not smart" comment was really bad). 

joyceraye, jenafan, JohnPhD and 2 others like this

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, bfm said:

I think one of the biggest problems in this episode was that they didn't have her (them) decide to start looking for a new job. Leonard was willing to cope with his feelings because she is so unhappy but it wasn't relevant anymore. A reasonable continuation would have been for them to then decide to make efforts to find a new job for them because she hates hers so much. But nope...the writers didn't go there. They don't seem to really want to go with a career change for her, at least not now. So the focus was on how Leonard feels about it. I don't see why this is Leonard's fault. He is a character, not the writer. He doesn't decide where the focus is and he didn't prevent her from taking the job. He was of the opinion you guys presented, that she should take that job and quit the one she hates and that his feelings should not prevent her from doing so and he should cope with them. It was somewhat like in "The 43 Peculiarity": he got that it was his problem, not hers, and that's in spite of having the others' support. He actually showed that he is more mature and considerate than their friends (in spite of his unfortunate "not smart" comment, which again, he regretted immediately). I guess I come across to some of you as too much of a Leonard apologist but I don't get why he is being accused (and as you see I do recognize his "not smart" comment was really bad). 

I agree so much on the bold part! The thing that I felt was missing in the Lenny plot was the writers doing something about Penny's dissatisfaction with her job. It would have been enough to add a few lines, where Leonard and Penny started watching together at job ads on the internet, or working on Penny's resume, something like that.

As for what Leonard (or, better, the writers about Leonard) did "wrong" in the episode, for me the problem was he already knows his wife is unhappy at her job, so I didn't like the writers made him so proud of the very things she hates about it.

Edited by mirs1
wowbagger, Jonny, April and 4 others like this

Posted

1 minute ago, mirs1 said:

I agree so much on that! The thing that I felt was missing in the Lenny plot was the writers doing something about Penny's dissatisfaction for her job. It would have been enough to add a few lines, where Leonard and Penny started watching together at job ads on the internet, or working on Penny's resume, something like that.

As for what Leonard (or, better, the writers about Leonard) did "wrong" in the episode, for me the problem was he already knows his wife is unhappy at her job, so I didn't like the writers made him so proud of the very things she hates about it.

I think he was trying to talk her up and to show the bright side while she was OK with saying the bad stuff. We didn't see him surprised at what she said although I would have liked seeing him rubbing her back in support when she said it, it whould have shown he knows that and supports her.

joyceraye, mirs1 and jenafan like this

Posted

Since Penny now has a proven track record there are likely endless sales jobs she could tackle. She does not need Zack.

bfm, joyceraye and jenafan like this

Posted

I remember a very early interview with Jim Parsons where he said that the writers had asked if he knew how to ride the unicycle.  He didn't, so they abandoned that story line, although when he told them he was allergic to cats, they said tough, take some Zirtec.

I was delighted to see the unicycle, and glad they let Jim hang on to a rope so he didn't get hurt.

jenafan, April, spidergirl and 2 others like this

Posted

5 minutes ago, Lady in Red said:

I remember a very early interview with Jim Parsons where he said that the writers had asked if he knew how to ride the unicycle.  He didn't, so they abandoned that story line, although when he told them he was allergic to cats, they said tough, take some Zirtec.

I was delighted to see the unicycle, and glad they let Jim hang on to a rope so he didn't get hurt.

That was the first thing that popped into my mind after reading about it in the TR - they finally found a way to get him on that unicycle! LOL

joyceraye and Lady in Red like this

Posted (edited)

50 minutes ago, Lady in Red said:

The cast really works hard at being as authentic as possible.  Melissa posted a picture that her husband took of her with the practice ventriloquist doll they sent her home with to rehearse.

Edited by vonmar
spidergirl, joyceraye, bfm and 6 others like this

Posted

On 28/04/2017 at 9:52 AM, bfm said:

In this episode they talked it through. It showed that they CAN communicate. We even saw Penny initiating a calm talk where she manages to remain calm and doesn't get mad and blows it up, some maturation there! But are we suppose to believe that every time they fought in previous episodes they resolved it this way and everything is okey dokey? I don't buy it, for them to have so many recurrent fights there must be an underlying source of stress, not necessarily from their relationship.  Unfortunately, the writers refuse to go there and just keep the continous fighting unjustified. Also,

I agree wholeheartedly with this,that they must have some underlying issue, however i believe the tptb have decided that what Sheldon and Beverly said in ep18 is what they are going with for them fighting.Because since that was said they haven't had any arguments with Raj staying and being there supposedly needed buffer,i wish we would get a better explanation but i doubt we will.

I've only just gotten round to watching the episode i'll actually liked the Lenny story and am probably alone in thinking that  i didn't see anything wrong with Leonard being uncomfortable with Penny working with a ex.I mean in real life i think a lot of people wouldn't be happy with there partners working with a ex,Bernadette agreed with Leonard and pointed out to Penny that basicically she should of known he'd be insecure it's part of hid character.I didn't like the body shaming done by Howard and Raj,i  was also confused as to why Howard suddenly was on Leonard side, and i hated Raj';s line about Penny was going to leave him eventually .Also when Leonard said he felt like he was being selfish and holding her back, and all Penny did was smile and give a thumbs up,i got the opinion they where imply that he was.Which is ridiculous he wasn't stopping her from taking the job, he was just uncomfortable with it,the last part where Penny smiles at Leonard i thought she was happy he didn't rub it in that she was wrong.

Posted

17 minutes ago, Zephon75 said:

I agree wholeheartedly with this,that they must have some underlying issue, however i believe the tptb have decided that what Sheldon and Beverly said in ep18 is what they are going with for them fighting.Because since that was said they haven't had any arguments with Raj staying and being there supposedly needed buffer,i wish we would get a better explanation but i doubt we will.

I've only just gotten round to watching the episode i'll actually liked the Lenny story and am probably alone in thinking that  i didn't see anything wrong with Leonard being uncomfortable with Penny working with a ex.I mean in real life i think a lot of people wouldn't be happy with there partners working with a ex,Bernadette agreed with Leonard and pointed out to Penny that basicically she should of known he'd be insecure it's part of hid character.I didn't like the body shaming done by Howard and Raj,i  was also confused as to why Howard suddenly was on Leonard side, and i hated Raj';s line about Penny was going to leave him eventually .Also when Leonard said he felt like he was being selfish and holding her back, and all Penny did was smile and give a thumbs up,i got the opinion they where imply that he was.Which is ridiculous he wasn't stopping her from taking the job, he was just uncomfortable with it,the last part where Penny smiles at Leonard i thought she was happy he didn't rub it in that she was wrong.

Actually after Raj moved in we had Penny ignoring Leonard and not really understanding what she did wrong. Not the shouting kind of fight but still obnoxious behavior. Also, if they need a buffer then why do they need a buffer? It doesn't solve it.

I think Leoanrd meant he will be holding her back if he forbids her from taking the job and Penny felt that way hence the thumbs up. At the end I think she was laughing at his joke, that he made to cheer her up because she didn't get to change her job.

Posted (edited)

I think they almost borderline made the story more about Leonard and Penny again with this one, more about what Leonard thinks or perhaps wants than Penny (they pulled it back in the end by getting Leonard to in the end support her). Maybe why I am so negative about it or thinking the storyline balance is off is I am also thinking back to the convention storyline earlier this season. When I first heard about that storyline I thought it might have been a nice way to conclude that part of Penny's past, maybe give her a nice ego boost from all those years of trying to achieve something, some praise. But it was an ego trip for Leonard in a vastly disappointing episode.

Penny's career situation at this point does interest me as a fan of Penny the character perhaps that's why I see it differently than fans of the couple? Most likely.

But I think the writers are going to need to finish that storyline off at some point. Can't keep floating the idea then kicking it into the long grass, viewers will get to the point where they don't care about Penny's job or what happens with it.

Edited by Jonny
spidergirl likes this

Posted

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

I think they almost borderline made the story more about Leonard and Penny again with this one, more about what Leonard thinks or perhaps wants than Penny (they pulled it back in the end by getting Leonard to in the end support her). Maybe why I am so negative about it or thinking the storyline balance is off is I am also thinking back to the convention storyline earlier this season. When I first heard about that storyline I thought it might have been a nice way to conclude that part of Penny's past, maybe give her a nice ego boost from all those years of trying to achieve something, some praise. But it was an ego trip for Leonard in a vastly disappointing episode.

Penny's career situation at this point does interest me as a fan of Penny the character perhaps that's why I see it differently than fans of the couple? Most likely.

But I think the writers are going to need to finish that storyline off at some point. Can't keep floating the idea then kicking it into the long grass, viewers will get to the point where they don't care about Penny's job or what happens with it.

Look, I want Penny to find a job she is happy with. I am sick of the writers dragging it. I think they don't know what to do so they don't get her to the point it might actually happen and focus on other aspects instead. The thing is, I don't blame it on Leonard. So he was uncomfortable with it. He never forbade her, he didn't know how to deal with it so he talked to his friends and to her and decided to support her. I don't see why he is to blame here. The whole thing apparently lasted less than a day. If the writers did intend to have her change her job this whole saga could have been summed up in 1-2 scenes leaving the rest to actually having her think about the job offer or about what she really wants to do after finding out the offer is irrelevant. IMO, the blame should be directed at the writers. I think it's not only that they don't care about the couple but they also don't care about the characters. That's why, sadly, I don't think it's beyond them to sweep it under the rug again. 

legacy99 and Zephon75 like this

Posted

2 hours ago, Jonny said:

In retrospect do people really believe she was go to work for Zack? I think the point was there are going to people like Leonard who are insecure. Zacks fiancée and Bernadette backed that up. Penny did nothing wrong and I was totally on her side in the episode. Saying that I was still happy with the conclusion

Zephon75 likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Chrismo said:

In retrospect do people really believe she was go to work for Zack? I think the point was there are going to people like Leonard who are insecure. Zacks fiancée and Bernadette backed that up. Penny did nothing wrong and I was totally on her side in the episode. Saying that I was still happy with the conclusion

I get your point, it likely wouldn't have been an ideal job for her. My criticism is more down to the premise of the episode in the first place and who at times it felt like it was more centered on, that and again no resolution. Penny is still stuck up a job she doesn't like after bringing that up for 2 years.

I probably would have got more enjoyment out of a storyline without Zack and her actually starting the process of looking for a new job.

Edited by Jonny
wowbagger likes this

Posted

6 hours ago, bfm said:

Look, I want Penny to find a job she is happy with. I am sick of the writers dragging it. I think they don't know what to do so they don't get her to the point it might actually happen and focus on other aspects instead. The thing is, I don't blame it on Leonard. So he was uncomfortable with it. He never forbade her, he didn't know how to deal with it so he talked to his friends and to her and decided to support her. I don't see why he is to blame here. The whole thing apparently lasted less than a day. If the writers did intend to have her change her job this whole saga could have been summed up in 1-2 scenes leaving the rest to actually having her think about the job offer or about what she really wants to do after finding out the offer is irrelevant. IMO, the blame should be directed at the writers. I think it's not only that they don't care about the couple but they also don't care about the characters. That's why, sadly, I don't think it's beyond them to sweep it under the rug again. 

Well said , i know people have different opinions on how the Lenny story went i just don't understand why most seem to put  most of blame on Leonard. Because even if Leonard was 110% behind her in getting the job she STILL wouldn't of got it as Zack's fiance didn't want him giving a job to Penny so the outcome would be the same.

bfm likes this

Posted

On 4/30/2017 at 2:35 AM, Lady in Red said:

Yes, this was mentioned when the entire cast appeared on Conan last February to celebrate the 200th episode.

Lady in Red likes this

Posted

By the low stadards we've become used to, this was an excellent episode. ie it wasn't entirel;y the Shamy Show, and the writers seemed to be giving everyone good jokes. I'm glad Penny and Leonard had a story for once, I don't mind if they fight a bit so long as we see it properly.  My impression was that in the majority of scenes either Penny or Howard was onscreen and talking, and a scene where either of those two is active is rarely dull.

Excellent writing and acting for Bernadette this ep; I hope Tammy-Jo St Cloud becomes a regular.

Of course the last scene with Sheldon stiltwalking then waking up in bed with Amy was a waste of screen, should have had Penny and Leonard beginning or finishing make-up sex instead, but I expect so little these days.

Leonard should worry less about Penny's exs and more about that flabby gut he was showing this week. Is that leading to so9mething depressing?

Posted

55 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

Of course the last scene with Sheldon stiltwalking then waking up in bed with Amy was a waste of screen, should have had Penny and Leonard beginning or finishing make-up sex instead, but I expect so little these days.

Been there done that. Next.

Posted

2 hours ago, JohnPhD said:

Couldn't agree with you more John.  But, like you said, there is so little to expect.   The writers have such a low bar for Lenny these days, and they can't even reach that.

Posted

Howard and Bernadette (and especially Howard) should be sympathetic, to Leonard not being comfortable with Penny working for Zack.

On 28/04/2017 at 3:06 AM, joyceraye said:

I'm glad Amy pronounced it normally so we'd know what it was.

She probably learned the correct pronunciation from Dave Gibbs. :) 

joyceraye likes this

Posted

33 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Howard and Bernadette (and especially Howard) should be sympathetic, to Leonard not being comfortable with Penny working for Zack.

She probably learned the correct pronunciation from Dave Gibbs. :) 

Oh of course !  His wife was smelling of croissants. What Sheldon was baking looked so little like croissants I'd never have guessed what they were supposed to be had not Clayton played by Howard Keel mispronounced them in an episode of Dallas in the eighties. We know Amy spent time in Norway so she might have had what we call a 'continental breakfast' there or somewhere else in Europe.