Tripper

episodes
1023 'The Gyroscopic Collapse' (May 4)

74 posts in this topic

Posted

HeWolf said, "What I found somewhat far-fetched was the premise that the Air Force had swooped in during the dark of night and cleared out the lab. There are all sorts of technicalities involved with this and it’s really not that cut and dried. Cal-Tech most likely owns the intellectual rights to the idea as it was work product conceived of, and developed by, its employees. Either the university or the guys would have applied for a patent on the idea and probably the prototype. Lastly, there would be nothing to prevent the guys from going back to work on the gyroscope. They were working in the university’s lab prior to the Air Force showing up and they could easily go right back at it. YES; I know it’s a sitcom and things are exaggerated and simplified at times. This plot line just isn’t believable for me. "

I can imagine this sort of thing can spoil your enjoyment. I find major unnecessary inaccuracies even in sitcoms terribly annoying. In detective and spy thrillers they are even more distracting as one can't tell a clue from a mistake in production and in historical dramas they drive me up the wall.

We know from last season that Howshelnard don't own the patent. Sheldon and Leonard were awarded 25% between them by the university and Howard as a NASA employee got nothing. Sheldon drew up contracts so the 25% was split between the three of them and Halley. If NASA and Caltech sold the rights to the airforce perhaps the airforce owns the project now and can do what they like ? I don't know how that would work in practical terms but it shouldn't be beyond the TBBT team to find out. If they have sold it, where are the scenes where the boys' cheques arrive ? To me the fact that a TV programme makes enough money to get something right and can't be bothered to write it in is very irritating.

HeWolf likes this

Posted

What an absolute (pardon my french) fucking humongous waste of time (can it be called a waste of time considering they spent virtually nothing really on it? It was in the background almost the entire time) the Raj in 4A experiment was.

Once again got tricked by the writers (never again with Raj btw) that this was going to be the start of something actually interesting with his character. Now he's off living near Bert, I mean is Raj actually fixed now and ready to be unleashed into the world of dating again in his aim to find someone to settle down with? There is no story there, they went with the Raj comes from a rich background, he is spoiled and that's why he can't find a woman? And that's it? The key to fixing why he treats women like shit? lol Here was me thinking it might be a multi-stage process LOL!

Fantastic episode but it highlighted to me just what a waste the Raj arc was this season.

I honestly think the writers did the whole thing of having Raj move in so that they could do that episode of him and Penny bonding and leaving Leonard out.  They missed so many comic opportunities with that set up, like can you imagine a just woke up Lenny heading to the kitchen for some needed coffee only to find a girl, maybe a stripper, in her underwear there (like season 2 Penny dressed) because Raj brought her back the night before.  They might write a roommate agreement right then and there, anyway there are funny things they could have done with him for an episode or two at least.

Also I just wish he would just hook up with one of his past ladies, I still like Emily but if they are truly done with past girlfriends, why don't they bring back the vet or even Dr. Alex Jensen, now that he can talk Alex might like him.  I getting tired of 'no one loves me' Raj., please let him have someone.

Enrico Fermi, bfm, legacy99 and 4 others like this

Posted (edited)

HeWolf said, ... were working in the university’s lab prior to the Air Force showing up and they could easily go right back at it. YES; I know it’s a sitcom and things are exaggerated and simplified at times. This plot line just isn’t believable for me. "

I see it as paying homage to a multitude of hollywood projects where the government wants steal something new for the military.

Examples: 

• E.T. (1982)
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
  • Escape to Witch Mountain (1975)
  • Stargate (1994)
  • The Last Mimzy (2007)
Edited by djsurrey

Posted

I see it as paying homage to a multitude of hollywood projects where the government wants steel something new for the military.

Examples: 

• E.T. (1982)
  • Stargate (1994)
  • The Last Mimzy (2007)

Clever you ! Well done. I didn't see that. It's meant to  go with Howard's 'movie' references. Aha ! I saw ET and Close Encounters but all I remember is the Welsh greeting in one of them. I've not heard of the others.

bfm and Gbb like this

Posted

I see it as paying homage to a multitude of hollywood projects where the government wants steal something new for the military.

Examples: 

• E.T. (1982)
  • Stargate (1994)
  • The Last Mimzy (2007)

I have heard of the military taking a project away from one company/source and giving it to another but it is usually because of that company had problems or was failing to perform.  However the Government does honor contacts and does honor patents, since the guys did nothing wrong, so the guys should still get paid, at least in the real world they would be.

HeWolf, joyceraye and serena_1995 like this

Posted

I have heard of the military taking a project away from one company/source and giving it to another but it is usually because of that company had problems or was failing to perform.  However the Government does honor contacts and does honor patents, since the guys did nothing wrong, so the guys should still get paid, at least in the real world they would be.

I agree that they need to be paid. That was what Howard wanted in the beginning.

Posted

I enjoyed the episode very much. There was a good balance between meaningful and hilarious moments.

We know they didn't give to Lenny any kind of closure for the end of the season, but I think they moved forward, not only physically from the kitchen to the doorstep. :) Maybe because today there is the sun and I'm seeing the bright side of nothing, but finally they stated they don't want a third wheel in their relationship. They pointed out it a lot. The "Oh nooo..., when"? line cracked me up! I hope Lennyfree is a premise for giving them more plots as a couple about adjusting and enjoying their marriage in the next season; individually about what can make Penny happy (a new job, giving birth?), what can make Leonard feel more self confident and less insecure especially in his relationships.

Howardette were amazing in the episode, as well in all the season. In some way they have been the most balanced couple for years. I agree with everything @wowbagger has written about them! And I miss creepy Howard!

The Shamy scene were funnily sweet and well played. I liked Sheldon's little clumsy touching of Amy's arms before the frenzied lovemaking. His genuine naivety, I used to love in the character, came out again, instead of the childish selfishness. I didn't really get the joke about folding clothes. Maybe there is some metaphorical meaning I can't understand, translating literally from English to Italian.

The part I was disappointed with was the one about the project. Seeing how the writers concluded it, everything seems even more far-fetched. And pointless. Like the story of poor itinerant Raj. What was the point of Raj living with Lenny?! Quizas quizas quizas!!!

HeWolf, Jonny and joyceraye like this

Posted

21 minutes ago, Nevermind said:

I enjoyed the episode very much. There was a good balance between meaningful and hilarious moments.

We know they didn't give to Lenny any kind of closure for the end of the season, but I think they moved forward, not only physically from the kitchen to the doorstep. :) Maybe because today there is the sun and I'm seeing the bright side of nothing, but finally they stated they don't want a third wheel in their relationship. They pointed out it a lot. The "Oh nooo..., when"? line cracked me up! I hope Lennyfree is a premise for giving them more plots as a couple about adjusting and enjoying their marriage in the next season; individually about what can make Penny happy (a new job, giving birth?), what can make Leonard feel more self confident and less insecure especially in his relationships.

Howardette were amazing in the episode, as well in all the season. In some way they have been the most balanced couple for years. I agree with everything @wowbagger has written about them! And I miss creepy Howard!

The Shamy scene were funnily sweet and well played. I liked Sheldon's little clumsy touching of Amy's arms before the frenzied lovemaking. His genuine naivety, I used to love in the character, came out again, instead of the childish selfishness. I didn't really get the joke about folding clothes. Maybe there is some metaphorical meaning I can't understand, translating literally from English to Italian.

The part I was disappointed with was the one about the project. Seeing how the writers concluded it, everything seems even more far-fetched. And pointless. Like the story of poor itinerant Raj. What was the point of Raj living with Lenny?! Quizas quizas quizas!!!

I honestly think what we saw of Leonard and Penny this episode is what we will see of them in season 11 & 12.  Unlike 'Friends' TBBT has moved away from an ensemble show to a show centering around Sheldon.

Posted

36 minutes ago, Nevermind said:

I didn't really get the joke about folding clothes.

Who stops to fold clothes? Only Sheldon or someone with some OCD. I thought Amy's line was hilarious. Like let's not fold the clothes as if that would be particularly naughty.

Nevermind, Jonny, joyceraye and 1 other like this

Posted

11 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I know Amy's outfit is a bit odd, but it still kinda works.

If you watch that scene closely, Penny looks like she is cold, but Bernadette and Amy, who are wearing more layers and jackets look comfortable.   Kaley seems to get cold easily and she seems to be freezing in that scene.

joyceraye likes this

Posted

1 hour ago, Nevermind said:

There's no meaning,  metaphorical, metaphysical  or otherwise, behind folding clothes. Sheldon means it literally. He's probably seen films where couples who spontaneously go to bed in the daytime are seen tearing the clothes off each other or there's a trail of crumpled garments on the floor. I think Amy's suggesting they leave their clothes in a mess for fun, knowing Sheldon won't want to do that. He might find neatness stimulating even at a time like this.

djsurrey and Nevermind like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, SRAM said:

The part I was disappointed with was the one about the project. Seeing how the writers concluded it, everything seems even more far-fetched. And pointless.

...and like I mentioned above kind of like a reference to science fiction movies where the drama comes from the government agency who want to capture the person with special abilities or confiscate the alien device. More examples:

• Starman 1984
  • D.A.R.Y.L. (1985)
Edited by djsurrey
spidergirl, April and joyceraye like this

Posted

23 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Actually djsurrey, I think the plot is closer to the movie Real Genius.

Perhaps. I never saw it. I was not thinking it was necessarily close the movies bit gust the general concept of the government chase and appropriation.

joyceraye likes this

Posted

51 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

...and like I mentioned above kind of like a reference to science fiction movies where the drama comes from the government agency who want to capture the person with special abilities or confiscate the alien device. More examples:

• Starman 1984
  • D.A.R.Y.L. (1985)

What are you quoting, I never said that?

Posted

On 5/5/2017 at 3:36 AM, Judith said:

It would be great for Beverly to return in the premiere. Maybe we'll be able to see Sheldon with Amy in NJ for a little while and they'll meet up with Beverly at some point. Pretty please writers? Or someone write it in a fanfic, that seems to work.

And Leonard.

On 5/5/2017 at 4:26 AM, bfm said:

I wish Leonar and Sheldon's scene was longer. I liked Leonard being supportive and helpful to his friend. I had the feeling it was becoming a touching scene and then it was cut.

Yeah, what you said.

I was really disappointed by how SHORT this scene was.

bfm and joyceraye like this

Posted

35 minutes ago, SRAM said:

What are you quoting, I never said that?

The quote was from here which was not you. Guess the quote system slipped up.

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Who stops to fold clothes? Only Sheldon or someone with some OCD. I thought Amy's line was hilarious. Like let's not fold the clothes as if that would be particularly naughty.

16 hours ago, joyceraye said:

There's no meaning,  metaphorical, metaphysical  or otherwise, behind folding clothes. Sheldon means it literally. He's probably seen films where couples who spontaneously go to bed in the daytime are seen tearing the clothes off each other or there's a trail of crumpled garments on the floor. I think Amy's suggesting they leave their clothes in a mess for fun, knowing Sheldon won't want to do that. He might find neatness stimulating even at a time like this.

Thank you guys for the clarifications. When Sheldon said What if we fold them again in a flirty way, I really thought there was some subtitle in the line.

Edited by Nevermind

Posted

21 hours ago, Nevermind said:

what can make Leonard feel more self confident and less insecure especially in his relationships.

IMO, that might be really hard. The guy has some deep scars, being insecure and feeling inferior is at his very core. However, he is a sitcom character so who knows... in this specific show he was also written in ways inconsistent with his character several times, though these were very negative. I do think he improved A LOT throughout the series, if you watch seasons 1 or 2 you can see the difference is remarkable, we tend to forget that. 

Posted

23 hours ago, joyceraye said:

It could also have been to ramp up excitement by delayed gratification, like a very slow striptease. Yes, the primary reason is his OCD, but the building tension of a slow burn could have been a bonus :)

joyceraye and Jedichic98 like this

Posted

3 hours ago, Gbb said:

It could also have been to ramp up excitement by delayed gratification, like a very slow striptease. Yes, the primary reason is his OCD, but the building tension of a slow burn could have been a bonus :)

Gbb likes this

Posted

On 05/05/2017 at 0:41 PM, Chrismo said:

They need to give up on the coitus bit. It's painful to watch them kiss and even more to hear them in 4b.

Yes, and thanks for saying it. Sheldon and Amy's lack of chemistry, and how unpleasant their grapplings are to watch, is rather the elephant in the room that doesn't get mentioned.

I don't know if I'm more angry or sad about this episode. Tiny flashes of Penny lighting up the screen, endless Shamy dullness. I particularly disliked the scene of Sheldon leading Amy into the 4B bedroom, because it was like a sexless parody of all the sexy scenes of  Leonard and Penny going there. The last I think was in 902 when Penny skipped after Leonard to the bedroom to "make this marriage official". Taken together with the recent back view of Amy trudging up the stairs, where we've so often seen Penny's small and perfect butt swaying gracefully, it suggests the makers are systematically smearing Shamy ugliness over all our charming Penny memories.

legacy99 and veejay like this

Posted

2 hours ago, JohnPhD said:

Yes, and thanks for saying it. Sheldon and Amy's lack of chemistry, and how unpleasant their grapplings are to watch, is rather the elephant in the room that doesn't get mentioned.

I don't know if I'm more angry or sad about this episode. Tiny flashes of Penny lighting up the screen, endless Shamy dullness. I particularly disliked the scene of Sheldon leading Amy into the 4B bedroom, because it was like a sexless parody of all the sexy scenes of  Leonard and Penny going there. The last I think was in 902 when Penny skipped after Leonard to the bedroom to "make this marriage official". Taken together with the recent back view of Amy trudging up the stairs, where we've so often seen Penny's small and perfect butt swaying gracefully, it suggests the makers are systematically smearing Shamy ugliness over all our charming Penny memories.

Yeah, a very specific visual comparison came to my mind.

05.gif.d4cac3bc8848ee68814af800e2b4f1d1.gif

JohnPhD and legacy99 like this