Tripper

1023 'The Gyroscopic Collapse' (May 4)

'The Gyroscopic Collapse' - Season 10, Episode 23 
Airs Thursday, May 4 at 8/7c on CBS.

After Leonard, Sheldon and Wolowitz celebrate the completion of the top secret air force project, they are met with an unpleasant surprise. Also, Amy is offered a summer position as a visiting researcher.

Rate this Episode

I enjoyed the episode even if they skipped star wars day. Gave it a very good. Sheldon has come a long way.

110321_1311b.thumb.jpg.6a6548424087a329e676322b98300988.jpg

• Like 3

As a Lenny fan I thought that episode was a bunch of crap.  The guys lose their project and we get to see how if affects Howard and Sheldon, but nothing about Leonard, it was like the writers didn't give a crap about his character, his feelings about losing the project don't mean a thing.  Howard gets all kissy face with Bernadette, Sheldon and Amy have heartfelt scenes and sex at the end, but Leonard has nothing, again who gives a rats ass what Leonard is going through and Penny is more concerned about getting rid of Raj or what will happen with Sheldon if Amy leaves than if maybe her husband is upset about losing his project.  It would have been different if Sheldon and Amy just had a plot about her leaving and Howard and Bernadette had their own plot, but the lab plot involved all three guys, but how it affected them was only explored for two of them.  It was a real slap in the face for Leonard and Lenny fans, from the writers.

• Like 9

I don't know why I'm disappointed i should know better by how that tptb don't really care about lenny. I'm still surprised they paid johnny and kaley so much money for what they do

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Leonard gave Sheldon support. That is what Leonard does.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

If it was just for Amy leaving I'd be fine with it, but Leonard was one of the three hurt people by the project being taken away, Howard had Bernadette for support, Sheldon had Amy and Leonard, but who was supporting Leonard, certainly not Penny or anyone else because the writers obviously think the character doesn't matter anymore.  It was so blatant that he was left out of the plot and was regulated to just a supporting role, his part of the plot not even considered by the writers.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

To be quite honest they can make Leonard give Sheldon support. And still do something with Lenny. It can't be asking for too much surley. We know in 10.24. Their well be nothing for them either. Leonard used to be the main character, the show used to be seen from his point of view. But TPTB have made it blatenly clear, transparently clear. Leonard is a supporting player now, so is Penny. At Least Penny wants Raj out, I guess. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SRAM said:

As a Lenny fan I thought that episode was a bunch of crap.  The guys lose their project and we get to see how if affects Howard and Sheldon, but nothing about Leonard, it was like the writers didn't give a crap about his character, his feelings about losing the project don't mean a thing.  Howard gets all kissy face with Bernadette, Sheldon and Amy have heartfelt scenes and sex at the end, but Leonard has nothing, again who gives a rats ass what Leonard is going through and Penny is more concerned about getting rid of Raj or what will happen with Sheldon if Amy leaves than if maybe her husband is upset about losing his project.  It would have been different if Sheldon and Amy just had a plot about her leaving and Howard and Bernadette had their own plot, but the lab plot involved all three guys, but how it affected them was only explored for two of them.  It was a real slap in the face for Leonard and Lenny fans, from the writers.

Wow. That's disgusting. I've felt for a long time that Leonard isn't a main character anymore but it was still sad to read your post. But hey, maybe season 11, right?

• Like 2

-Previously....on a plot I guess the writers are scrapping. Not that I'm complaining. Actually, I am, because talk about no payoff.

-Shut it Penny, I'd rather glug apple juice. A beverage non-age specific and full of vitamin C.

-"To success without Raj!" That's this show's motto.

-The US military is full of ingrates. Save the sarcasm for our enemies indeed.

-Apartment listings, guess we're just going to ignore that Penny liked Raj's company.....

-Over Bert's garage, so next season we can expect a new set and exciting plots about Raj getting girl advice from Bert.

-It's a deja vu joke. Why was that door unlocked?

-Howard had 3 minutes of accomplishment.

-Now time for the must have summer send-off. The wheel has been spun and it landed on Amy!

-"Mmm. Tasteless".

-3 dollars sounds like too much for a bread loaf.

-Brown sugar sounds better than raisins and banana slices.

-Sheldon literally left on a train in Season 7, Penny.

-Something something radon markers.

-Leonard's happiness feels unearned. It's not like Raj Stuart-ed up on them. It was 4 or 5 episodes.

-"My baby done left me". 

-Raj, don't even put that suggestion into the air. I swear to gosh...bless that door shutting. And the room does have a lock.

-"So trick her". >:D

-Leonard fans should be happy, this Howard clinger crap feels like episode padding.

-Because losing air in that luggage is better than a plane crash.

-Amy stop being a naughty vixen and fold your clothes.

-Raj's speeches are more common than Shamy's 3rd round of sex. Of course he couldn't compete.

-Penny is ridiculously nosy. "WHOOPIE". 

-Living on his own would only do Sheldon some benefit.

-So Amy wakes up around noon?

-Next week, will Sheldon step away and call Amy immediately? Silly of the promo to not even hype up Ramona though, cause that'd be a good selling point.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

To be quite honest they can make Leonard give Sheldon support. And still do something with Lenny. It can't be asking for too much surley. We know in 10.24. Their well be nothing for them either. Leonard used to be the main character, the show used to be seen from his point of view. But TPTB have made it blatenly clear, transparently clear. Leonard is a supporting player now, so is Penny. At Least Penny wants Raj out, I guess. 

Okay but Penny is not a big supporter most of the time. More so than Beverly but in Lenny Leonard is more the supporter (except when he has his foot in his mouth).

5 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Okay but Penny is not a big supporter most of the time. More so than Beverly but in Lenny Leonard is more the supporter (except when he has his foot in his mouth).

Penny used to be incredibly emotionally supportive of Leonard until TPTB decided she should be more cold and distant. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

Penny used to be incredibly emotionally supportive of Leonard until TPTB decided she should be more cold and distant. 

Odd. I mostly recall her avoiding talking about substantive stuff.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Odd. I mostly recall her avoiding talking about substantive stuff.

When it comes to her feelings for Leonard, yes. I remember lots of moments where she was there for him. In Middle Earth Paradigm she went over to Leonard after he had a confrontation with Kurt and said she wanted to make sure he was okay. 

In Peanut Reaction she cheered him up after he missed his birthday surprise party that she organized for him. That is after finding out he never had a birthday party and feeling incredibly sorry for him about it. In the same episode Howard tells her he and Leonard are at a hospital and Penny freaks out and asks if Leonard is okay, not Howard. Just Leonard. 

Those are just two examples of the (Leonard and) Penny I deeply, deeply miss.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

When it comes to her feelings for Leonard, yes. I remember lots of moments where she was there for him. In Middle Earth Paradigm she went over to Leonard after he had a confrontation with Kurt and said she wanted to make sure he was okay. 

In Peanut Reaction she cheered him up after he missed his birthday surprise party that she organized for him. That is after finding out he never had a birthday party and feeling incredibly sorry for him about it. In the same episode Howard tells her he and Leonard are at a hospital and Penny freaks out and asks if Leonard is okay, not Howard. Just Leonard. 

Those are just two examples of the (Leonard and) Penny I deeply, deeply miss.

Before they were actually a couple?

Just now, djsurrey said:

Before they were actually a couple?

Yes, that was long before they got together. And it's sad that they were more loving and sweet then, as friends, than they are now as husband and wife.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SRAM said:

you know, I never thought about it that way but you are right- they didn't focus on how it affects Leonard. It would have been a good opportunity to show how Leonard's own career affects his growth and maybe Lenny have a conversation. But , nope. I feel like the writers have over saturated/overused all their "growth" stories on Sheldon. I feel like they just don't wanna explore Leonard and Lenny, in particular.

I thought Amy's part was also all about how it would affect Sheldon. It wasn't about whether Amy would miss Sheldon. It was more about how Sheldon will miss her and need her because he is her responsibility  and that was a major source of worry for her. It wasn't about how Amy would feel about her own new unfamiliar experience living in NJ without Sheldon and her friends.  but anyway .....whatever. I didn't expect anything different. It was still one of the better plots this season.

Howardette were okay. although Howard was being clingy, he pointed out how Bernie behaves, when she is between projects herself , and it was a nice balance in their relationship. Raj...I don't really know what is happening with him . Moving in with Bert now ?  . So I would have to see more of Bert next season ? great./sarcasm

I laughed at a few lines:

Amy saying Sheldon's method of forward stimulation is highly efficient was funny. Sheldon wanting to fold clothes was funny as well. And they can't make the once-a-year joke, so that's great. That entire scene was great .

Edited by serena_1995
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

Yes, that was long before they got together. And it's sad that they were more loving and sweet then, as friends, than they are now as husband and wife.

TBH I Think the show is saying once your a married couple the honey moon phase is over so to speak. When your friends, things are less complicated. I agree with you. I am just saying things are obviousley more complicated now. Then they were first two seasons. 

53 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

Huh really? I Think the complete opposite. Penny is very supportive. It is Leonard, who could be more supportive just saying. 

4 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

TBH I Think the show is saying once your a married couple the honey moon phase is over so to speak. When your friends, things are less complicated. I agree with you. I am just saying things are obviousley more complicated now. Then they were first two seasons. 

Huh really? I Think the complete opposite. Penny is very supportive. It is Leonard, who could be more supportive just saying. 

I agree that Leonard has also put less effort into the relationship, but @djsurrey and I were specifically talking about Penny. And IMO she used to be way more loving back then, but agree to disagree. 

And I just don't buy that "Once you're married the honeymoon is over" BS. I've seen way too many sweet marriages on TV (drama or comedy) in order to accept that excuse from TPTB.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, serena_1995 said:

you know, I never thought about it that way but you are right- they didn't focus on how it affects Leonard. It would have been a good opportunity to show how Leonard's own career affects his growth and maybe Lenny have a conversation. But , nope. I feel like the writers have over saturated/overused all their "growth" stories on Sheldon. I feel like they just don't wanna explore Leonard and Lenny, in particular.

I thought Amy's part was also all about how it would affect Sheldon. It wasn't about whether Amy would miss Sheldon. It was more about how Sheldon will miss her and need her because he is her responsibility  and that was a major source of worry for her. It wasn't about how Amy would feel about her own new unfamiliar experience living in NJ without Sheldon and her friends.  but anyway .....whatever. I didn't expect anything different. It was still one of the better plots this season.

Howardette were okay. although Howard was being clingy, he pointed out how Bernie behaves, when she is between projects herself , and it was a nice balance in their relationship. Raj...I don't really know what is happening with him . Moving in with Bert now ?  . So I would have to see more of Bert next season ? great./sarcasm

I laughed at a few lines:

Amy saying Sheldon's method of forward stimulation is highly efficient was funny. Sheldon wanting to fold clothes was funny as well. And they can't make the once-a-year joke, so that's great. That entire scene was great .

That’s it!
Sorry, but it will not need five more episodes to watch and listen to Sheldon…Sheldon…Sheldon. I'm pretty sure now, I don't want to devote another two years to The Sheldon Show.

Edited by veejay
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Is it something that will be explored later but who is Amy going to work with/for at Princeton?  Perhaps the most eminent brain scientist there? Someone who likes her and her boyfriend.

Edited by BangerMain
grammer
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

The point is that Amy wanted to go to Princeton, she was excited (and rightfully so) for the opportunity she was given as a scientist. The possible downsides of the experience, like a new work and living environment, missing Sheldon and her friends, at the moment have little power on her because she has already made up her mind. This is a huge step in her career and, as Penny put it, if the roles were reversed Sheldon would have done the same. The only thing that could have stopped her (and thanks goodness it didn't) was how Sheldon would have coped with her being away, they are a couple and this was in a way a couple decision. But obviously even Sheldon knew she couldn't miss such an opportunity.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, BangerMain said:

Is it something that will be explored later but who is Amy going to work with/for at Princeton?  Perhaps the most eminent brain scientist there? Someone who likes her and her boyfriend.

It would be great for Beverly to return in the premiere. Maybe we'll be able to see Sheldon with Amy in NJ for a little while and they'll meet up with Beverly at some point. Pretty please writers? Or someone write it in a fanfic, that seems to work.

• Like 4

I think it was a good episode. Had a fair amount of laughs, not too many, but enjoyed seeing the all gang or 3-4 of them togethet a lot. I liked their dynamics very much, mostly the opening and the girls in the park.

I wish Leonar and Sheldon's scene was longer. I liked Leonard being supportive and helpful to his friend. I had the feeling it was becoming a touching scene and then it was cut. I know, I know, time limits... Still I wanted so much to see more of that. Even though we barely saw it I really liked seeing that Leonard apparently had a very good effect on Sheldon. IMO, it shows 3 important things: 1. Leonard knows how to handle such a situation well. This ia not surprising, but we haven't seen supportive Leonard a lot lately (we have barely seen him at all) so it's a nice reminder (IMO the previous one was another but I know some see it differently). 2. Sheldon is willing to listen and take advice from his friends, apparently mostly as is without too many alterations (we don't know but his actions seemed to me like he mostly just followed the advice, he really seemed to except this POV). 3. Leonard and Sheldon are still good friends and are able to have a nice conversation. We didn't see that a lot this season.

Leonard and Penny: Hardly anything about them as a couple (I'll gush over some little tidbits, like Leonard looking at her when thanking the women, in the Lenny thread :)), but I generally enjoyed them as characters. Penny had nice lines. I liked how they both wanted Raj out haha. Leonard... On the one hand I think that he came out as the better adjusted of the guys in this episode. He didn't have a harsh reaction to the project being taken away from them, he was sad but not weirdly clingy or lost. He also really helped his friend (and his other friend, Amy, by extension). On the other hand I do get what @SRAM says. It would have been nice to have at least 2-3 sentences about his feelings about the project. If they didn't have time to get Penny asking him about it they could have have her talking about it to the girls on the park when they talked about their SO's reactions. She could have said that Leonard is a little down but is trying to think ahead and not let it get to him too much, and then they could have her joke about Raj's departure cheering them up. I do think that if they gave it too much attention some would have said that he is being inconsiderate whining about career stuff when Penny is much worse off (I wouldn't but it seems like there are people with which Leonard can never win). 

Shamy... I liked Sheldon admitting he needs her and is comforted by having her. I didn't mind his comment about her saying that she wants to spend more time with him too much. It may have stopped it from being too mushy and also reminded that he is still Sheldon. He did well when he decided to support her and I didn't think the comment about meeting another guy was too weird, I took it as just humourostic. I do think we could have heard more about Amy's feelings about the fellowship besides how it will affect Sheldon. But this is The Sheldon Show...

Howardette...Kind of bored me. Maybe if they exaggerated it a little more I would have found it funny.

Raj's character is a bummer. Yep.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Might go into more detail later on especially about the non Shamy parts (as I have gone through the Shamy stuff on the Shamy thread). But I would say that this might be my favorite episode of this season.

Veracity Elasticity was my favorite so far but this may have topped it, will have to re-watch a couple of more times.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 2