1023 'The Gyroscopic Collapse' (May 4)

Hopefully I will write a more detailed review later about this episode but I would like to say this one was one of my favourites from the second half of the season. Really enjoyed it as the dialogues were very well written and it did not have bad jokes or too snarky comments. The friendship of these people were really welll portrayed. I wish the episode could be a bit longer though.

The shamy part I wrote in its thread.

About Howardette it was not one of my favourite interactions of them as I think Howard's behavior was a bit off.

Sheldnard moment was one of my favourite but I wish it could be longer too.

I  would  love to see Leonard being conforted by Penny, as it was visible he was very upset as Howard and Sheldon. It would have been nice to see that, as I think Penny would be a supportive wife. Leonard was great to Sheldon but it missed he being confort on screen as the other guys were. Maybe we could see that in season première as the gyroscope storyline imo was a bit abruptly ended. Some more details given would be great.

Raj...welll it was harmless, lol. Lenny were so sync about he moved out. LOve it!

And that Raj bit "I cant beat it" was priceless!

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 3

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a Lenny fan I thought that episode was a bunch of crap.  The guys lose their project and we get to see how if affects Howard and Sheldon, but nothing about Leonard, it was like the writers didn't g

The point is that Amy wanted to go to Princeton, she was excited (and rightfully so) for the opportunity she was given as a scientist. The possible downsides of the experience, like a new work and liv

You mean, actually have the writers write a positive plot about Lenny?  Hmmmmmmm, what an interesting idea, I wonder what that would be like. 

Posted Images

Eh. I thought it was OKAY. I Thought some of the laziest writing I have ever seen from this show. When Amy and Penny were communicating via their cellphones. They coulden't of had that conversation in 4A. They are talking basiclaly through a letterbox tbh. And they live across the hall from each other. I can't be the only one who found that scene, absurd to say the least. 

Seems they finalized the Guidance Plot Plot. Which I liked, made the guys forefront of the show again. IT seemed though the writers gave attention and focus to Two Couples Howardette and Shamy. IT seems completely neglected Lenny. It wasen't that Penny neglected Leonard. IT was more the writers transparently neglected them. Therefore Not giving Lenny a chance to be in that supporting role. Or Penny for that matter. I liked she wanted Raj gone, Lenny were a solid front their. But once again. Sheldon makes a transparent dig at Leonard's education and intelligence. It is Season Ten. I don't remember Hawking asking Sheldon to go an expedition. It seems he is jealous of Leonard. Which makes no sense, but make of that what you well. 

I kept asking the question, is that Sheldon? It was funny hearing Shamy go at it. I mean that is exactly what you would imagine from such a quirky couple. But I just cannot suspend my disbelif with Sheldon anymore, or the show for that matter.

I did like Shelnard's talk. But it was too breif. And it seemed the entire focus of the episode was seen from Sheldon's point of view. IT would of been nice to see Leonard's point of view on the consfication of the GS. 

Overall a Bad episode imo. TBH the end of this season, it is feeling like S7 all over again. ONly this time Amy is the only leaving. I well give it okay. Hopefully they resalvage the writing particularly of Lenny in Season 11. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 3

It was okay. The best part it seems was Lenny realizing that Raj needs to go. Not sure what his point being there was except for the one episode. They continued the theme that Howard and Sheldon were 5 years old. Boo hoo you lost the job move on. Of course Amy internship was about Sheldon. Penny response to Amy about Sheldon not caring if the shoe was on the other foot was spot on. They need to give up on the coitus bit. It's painful to watch them kiss and even more to hear them in 4b.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Shelldon said:

-So Amy wakes up around noon?

I doubt it. She'll most likely have done a morning's work by then. Sheldon will get up,go the bathroom to shower, brush his teeth and so on, dress, go into the main room, have his breakfast, go to work and Skype Amy at 9 am just before she goes to lunch at noon. The agreement was they wouldn't say 'Good morning' or 'Good afternoon' because neither greeting would be appropriate for both of them as they'd be in different parts of the day. That's why Sheldon reminds Amy they're just going to say 'Hello' to each other in their first Skype call of the day.

• Like 2

Also, I liked the Penny will not clean joke! I missed those! Why can't we have more of these instead of the tired and annoying "he wore her down" and "Penny was a slut"? 

• Like 4

Overall, I found this episode enjoyable. There are times when I find myself liking an episode while not liking the actual plot. Despite the apparent contradiction, I have come to understand this in light of liking the actors and their performances, while not necessarily caring for the story. These are all phenomenally talented people and I genuinely enjoy watching them work. This, plus the fact that I care for the characters is what keeps me watching during those times when the show is not necessarily stellar.

This episode was pretty good. While the Lenny parts were a bit sparse, there was no artificially contrived drama with them. This is enough to keep me happy these days. I have seen some comments about Penny not supporting Leonard over the loss of the gyro project. This didn’t really strike me as a big deal. He didn’t seem to take it as hard as Sheldon and Howard and there did not seem to be a great need to prop him up emotionally.

The Howardette part was all right, though it struck me as a bit off. All of Howard’s angst seemed to be geared toward the loss of the project, thus leaving him without a work related focus. What happened to the idea that this had to be a money producer? That he needed a financial windfall now that they have a child. I don’t recall there being any mention of that.

The Shamy part was fun and it was nice to see Sheldon not act like the world’s largest toddler. Hopefully, the "Sheldon learns to live alone" routine will only last for one episode. Otherwise, it will no doubt involve a lot of late night invasions of 4A by a neurotic, “I heard a noise”, Sheldon.

What I found somewhat far-fetched was the premise that the Air Force had swooped in during the dark of night and cleared out the lab. There are all sorts of technicalities involved with this and it’s really not that cut and dried. Cal-Tech most likely owns the intellectual rights to the idea as it was work product conceived of, and developed by, its employees. Either the university or the guys would have applied for a patent on the idea and probably the prototype. Lastly, there would be nothing to prevent the guys from going back to work on the gyroscope. They were working in the university’s lab prior to the Air Force showing up and they could easily go right back at it. YES; I know it’s a sitcom and things are exaggerated and simplified at times. This plot line just isn’t believable for me.

In a season that has contained more than a few flops this episode was actually better than many. Hopefully, ‘The Sheldon Show’ will bring us more like this and less of last week’s drivel.

Edited by HeWolf
  • Like 2

On the issue of Leonard not being so broken up about the collapse of their project, I thought he acted IC.  After facing so many disappointments in life and dealing with Sheldon for so many years, he just lets it all roll off his back and moves on.   Finding out Raj was moving out likely distracted him.  The project was temporary, life alone now with Penny is hopefully a permanent situation now.  I was glad to see both Leonard and Penny on board with that.

Howard had every reason to be upset the most, since he was the main brains behind it, and the military reached out to him first.

With Sheldon, as soon as Amy revealed her news, his disappointment over it faded into the background.

Penny and Leonard standing at the door when Raj departed reminded me when they did the same the day Sheldon left. 

I loved how Leonard said that if Penny left, she wouldn't take anything with her.  Outside of the pink bedroom, which we have never seen again, I really do wish they would put some feminine touches in Lenny's apartment.  Penny still looks like a guest rather than a permanent resident.  The place needs some of her love of color added to the mix. 

Raj's pity party is so old.

Howardette are as cute as ever!

Loved the girls walking in the park.  I would have liked to have heard more about Amy's project.  Oh, well.  Thanks Penny!

Loved PAmy cell phone time over coffee and making breakfast.

I'll save my Shamy fangirl fare for the shipper thread, but wow!

• Like 6

On 5.5.2017 at 7:02 PM, jenafan said:

Loved the girls walking in the park.  I would have liked to have heard more about Amy's project.  Oh, well.  Thanks Penny!

You're welcome!

She's a real pragmatist. :shy:

Edited by veejay
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, jenafan said:

On the issue of Leonard not being so broken up about the collapse of their project, I thought he acted IC.  After facing so many disappointments in life and dealing with Sheldon for so many years, he just lets it all roll off his back and moves on.   Finding out Raj was moving out likely distracted him.  The project was temporary, life alone now with Penny is hopefully a permanent situation now.  I was glad to see both Leonard and Penny on board with that.

Howard had every reason to be upset the most, since he was the main brains behind it, and the military reached out to him first.

With Sheldon, as soon as Amy revealed her news, his disappointment over it faded into the background.

Penny and Leonard standing at the door when Raj departed reminded me when they did the same the day Sheldon left. 

I loved how Leonard said that if Penny left, she wouldn't take anything with her.  Outside of the pink bedroom, which we have never seen again, I really do wish they would put some feminine touches in Lenny's apartment.  Penny still looks like a guest rather than a permanent resident.  The place needs some of her love of color added to the mix. 

Raj's pity party is so old.

Howardette are as cute as ever!

Loved PAmy cell phone time over coffee and making breakfast.

I'll save my Shamy fangirl fare for the shipper thread, but wow!

I would really love to see 4A being redecorated, but I highly doubt that this will actually happen. The writers has had almost a whole season to change 4A, but all we got was Lenny's bedroom which we have seen just once. I find it to be honest a little bit ridiculous that Penny would live in 4A and doesn't want to change anything. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Lagernisse said:

I would really love to see 4A being redecorated, but I highly doubt that this will actually happen. The writers has had almost a whole season to change 4A, but all we got was Lenny's bedroom which we have seen just once. I find it to be honest a little bit ridiculous that Penny would live in 4A and doesn't want to change anything. 

Plenty of her decorations and such have been scattered over the living room and kitchen in 4A. So some things were changed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, April said:

Plenty of her decorations and such have been scattered over the living room and kitchen in 4A. So some things were changed.

You don't think Penny would like some new paint on the walls and some new furniture. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lagernisse said:

You don't think Penny would like some new paint on the walls and some new furniture. 

New paint? New furniture? No, I really can't see Penny going all DIY home renovation on this. Decorations and generally spreading her stuff everywhere though? Yes and that's what she did, to the extreme in the bedroom for the joke and a bit less in the living area. I mean, they could maybe push it a little further giving 4A a bit more of a female touch but not with a paint job and I also don't think they'll ever get rid of the couch. Maybe a new cover for the IKEA armchair or something?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lagernisse said:

This could also trigger a revolution....but.. :shy:

n_00261.gif.0f03e4c681957f852991965c28ddc3f6.gif 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, April said:

New paint? New furniture? No, I really can't see Penny going all DIY home renovation on this. Decorations and generally spreading her stuff everywhere though? Yes and that's what she did, to the extreme in the bedroom for the joke and a bit less in the living area. I mean, they could maybe push it a little further giving 4A a bit more of a female touch but not with a paint job and I also don't think they'll ever get rid of the couch. Maybe a new cover for the IKEA armchair or something?

In my mind if you look at 4A today, you can't really tell that there is a married couple living there. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, veejay said:

This could also trigger a revolution....but.. :shy:

n_00261.gif.0f03e4c681957f852991965c28ddc3f6.gif 

Exactly what I was thinking. We would have something else to bicker about all summer. .....Penny didn't consult with Leonard. Leonard wasn't supportive enough. It's too girly. Penny  disrespected Sheldon's pillow. Sheldon staging a sit-in was (fill in the blank) . Raj had too much to say about the colors. Because he's a douch. I liked it better before. It's no longer iconic.............Next thing you know, it's September.

• Like 6

I don't think they will ever get rid of the couch, but a throw blanket on the back and some decorative pillows ( more of them) would seem to be something Penny would do.  I would have also expected a dining table near the window or maybe another decoration there, like a sitting area because normal people like to look out windows.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, SRAM said:

I don't think they will ever get rid of the couch, but a throw blanket on the back and some decorative pillows ( more of them) would seem to be something Penny would do.  I would have also expected a dining table near the window or maybe another decoration there, like a sitting area because normal people like to look out windows.

They won't do that with the couch, it's probably more iconic and revered than the actual apartment. But the table makes sense to me for when they are dining alone or say Penny had some work colleagues over.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 1

Well that was another one to the list of disappointing episodes this season, there wasn't much about for me that i liked, apart from the fact that Raj is no longer living with Lenny .I did feel sorry for the guys having the guidance system taken away from them, didn't know that could be done, and don't they own the patent to it aswell?. Like others have said the lack of Leonard getting sympathy from Penny compared to the others was about having his project taken away was ridiculous .I mean Penny was more worried about whether Amy had told Sheldon she was going away i mean come on .The lack of Lenny was disappointing In fact if you blinked you would of missed the Lenny interactions they where that short, i did like when both Penny and Leonard found out Raj was moving out they both said the same thing "When".Oh also didn't need to hear what Sheldon and Amy where upto ,but at least they' might end up doing it more than once a year i suppose.

Edited by Zephon75
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

They won't do that with the couch, it's probably more iconic and revered than the actual apartment. But the table makes sense to me for when they are dining alone or say Penny had some work colleagues over.

That seems plausible for me. But TPTB have to give Lenny some proper outstanding and funny story(s) first. How likely would that be in either way? :icon_rolleyes:

• Like 1

I loved the Neil Diamond reference Bernie made. It means the Amy/Howard team-up passed through the writers' minds, even if momentarily. I just wish the memory would sit firmly right in there and manifest into a revival of their friendship. Maybe in s11...

Also loved Howard's movie comments, especially the second one when he was in bed with Bernie. I'm forever charmed by him.

• Like 5

Okay, I thought this one was delightful. I've put my Shamy thoughts in the Shamy thread, so for the rest, in no particular order:

- I am a little sad that this was another episode in which a story about a woman's career (Amy's in this case) was essentially taken over by her male partner's feelings. I liked the execution much better this time around, but come on show - you don't have a quota of girls' stories that has been basically exhausted by Bernie, do you?

- Speaking of Bernie: man, Melissa Rauch is on fire this season. They have just hit the sweet spot with Howardette, haven't they? After dickering about in the Oedipal wilderness for so long, they've finally discovered the formula: Howard is pervy on the outside but a sappy romantic on the inside, Bernie looks like a little cookie-baking elf on the outside, but inside is a maelstrom of, okay, rage, but also some really rather....twisted.......thoughts, directed squarely at her sexy greyhound. The movie just got rated 'R', indeed.

- The visual gag of the empty 3A slew me!

- But yikes, what an unceremonious end to the gyroscope plot. I mean, it's no secret that I thought it was dull and executed poorly, but poor guys. And what a waste of Dean Norris.

- both Shamy and Howardette had plots about how they were dealing with loss or disappointment. How about Lenny? Shamy had Sheldon stepping up when dealing with two losses, Howardette had the couple reminding each other of their dysfunctional coping mechanisms, and I would have liked Lenny to triangulate by following up on Penny's career from last episode. Maybe have Leonard throw himself into helping Penny look for other jobs? 

- so......what was the point of having Raj drift from place to place, again?

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

- both Shamy and Howardette had plots about how they were dealing with loss or disappointment. How about Lenny? Shamy had Sheldon stepping up when dealing with two losses, Howardette had the couple reminding each other of their dysfunctional coping mechanisms, and I would have liked Lenny to triangulate by following up on Penny's career from last episode. Maybe have Leonard throw himself into helping Penny look for other jobs?

You mean, actually have the writers write a positive plot about Lenny?  Hmmmmmmm, what an interesting idea, I wonder what that would be like. 

• Like 8

On 6.5.2017 at 4:00 PM, Tensor said:

Well, at least their professional observation activities have moved from the kitchen island to the entrance door. This could be sold as a significant advance. Whoopee! Okay, I'm good now.  :shy:

Edited by veejay
  • Like 7

What an absolute (pardon my french) fucking humongous waste of time (can it be called a waste of time considering they spent virtually nothing really on it? It was in the background almost the entire time) the Raj in 4A experiment was.

Once again got tricked by the writers (never again with Raj btw) that this was going to be the start of something actually interesting with his character. Now he's off living near Bert, I mean is Raj actually fixed now and ready to be unleashed into the world of dating again in his aim to find someone to settle down with? There is no story there, they went with the Raj comes from a rich background, he is spoiled and that's why he can't find a woman? And that's it? The key to fixing why he treats women like shit? lol Here was me thinking it might be a multi-stage process LOL!

Fantastic episode but it highlighted to me just what a waste the Raj arc was this season.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 7

What an absolute (pardon my french) fucking humongous waste of time (can it be called a waste of time considering they spent virtually nothing really on it? It was in the background almost the entire time) the Raj in 4A experiment was.

Once again got tricked by the writers (never again with Raj btw) that this was going to be the start of something actually interesting with his character. Now he's off living near Bert, I mean is Raj actually fixed now and ready to be unleashed into the world of dating again in his aim to find someone to settle down with? There is no story there, they went with the Raj comes from a rich background, he is spoiled and that's why he can't find a woman? And that's it? The key to fixing why he treats women like shit? lol Here was me thinking it might be a multi-stage process LOL!

Fantastic episode but it highlighted to me just what a waste the Raj arc was this season.

True. After a whole season Raj had nothing good to the viewer note as unforgetable  imo and that is a pure waste. 

And what is more interisting imo is how Raj is like a lost character in show timeline.  I mean, the other characters, even some more than others, have grown as their lives have lots of new things but the viewer can  relate these things or part of them  to these characters's background. Raj is becoming a character without bonds to past or with potencial bonds to future.Some of his friends dont hide how he could be annoying be around or how they might live well without him much around. However is Raj's fault as he is a great company about 25% of the time, a pain in ar** for the remain  75% to everyone.  Raj is an unlucky character in writers's room, he is moved to a different scenario from another scenario  because the earlier moving was not good neither to him or to others characters.  From a character who is part of the show since the pilot is really a pity what is going on with him, as he could be so many things, he could make another some. 

• Like 4