Flag of Sheldon

guimaboy

Yes I noticed. I am actually very much into European Royalty and have been reading and studying about them for over 30 years.

Are you a historian ? Cool ... I am doing journalism but recently I decided to change to history,which I probably will begin to attend next year

Yes I noticed. I am actually very much into European Royalty and have been reading and studying about them for over 30 years.

Are you a historian ? Cool ... I am doing journalism but recently I decided to change to history,which I probably will begin to attend next year

I am actually a mental health therapist but I also have a degree in European History which has become just a hobby for me now. What ty[pe of history do you want to study?

I am actually a mental health therapist but I also have a degree in European History which has become just a hobby for me now. What ty[pe of history do you want to study?

What i would love to study is something that linked history to the society, how art was used in politics, or how the common sense of what is art changed, something like this

You might find some classes on the philosophy of politics and art interesting. I learned a lot about the symbolism and the theoretical aspects of how these have influenced one another.

• 3 months later...

it's a flag of Lviv District, Western Ukraine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lvivska_Oblast

it's actually the flag of Zottegem , Flanders

all Flemish flag incorporate the lion (even the national anthem : the Flemish Lion

i just say zottegem cos it's the only one with gold lion (frequent) on azure background (rare)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zottegem

forgot the link

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Did someone besides me noticed that Sheldon's flag has the symbol of the royal standard of the scotish flag ? LOL

Never thought that Sheldon would like Scotland :icon_lol:

Hardly. The Scottish Royal Standard has a red lion on a yellow background - Sheldon's flag has a yellow lion on a plain blue background!

Doesn't look too similar to me...! Perhaps Sheldon needs to do some more "Fun with Flag" podcasts...!! :icon_lol:

Did someone besides me noticed that Sheldon's flag has the symbol of the royal standard of the scotish flag ? LOL

Never thought that Sheldon would like Scotland :icon_lol:

Hardly. The Scottish Royal Standard has a red lion on a yellow background - Sheldon's flag has a yellow lion on a plain blue background!

Doesn't look too similar to me...! Perhaps Sheldon needs to do some more "Fun with Flag" podcasts...!! :icon_lol:

Not a podcast but worth a shot.....

The first Scottish Flag is the Saltire (blue and white cross of St Andrew).

The second is the Lion Rampart or as it is correctly known Rampant. This is the Lion of Scotland which has a gold background with a lion standing on its hind legs.

So what is the meaning of the Scottish Flags?

The first and REAL Scottish flag is a silver cross on a blue background, with the cross going from corner to corner, and it is known as the saltire. It is also known as St Andrews Cross. St Andrew was one of the twelve disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, and it is believed that he too was crucified. The story goes that the Romans were threatened by Andrew, as they said he was spreading wrong ideas among the people, so they decided to crucify him. Andrew apparently did not feel he was good enough for that so asked for a different cross than Jesus. The cross was in the shape of an X which became the shape on the flag.

You may be wondering what the connection is with Scotland and St Andrew? His fame had grown and grown, even after his death. It is believed that Andrew was buried in Patrae in Greece and the story is told that 400 years after his death the Emperor Constantine decided that this little part of Greece was not a suitable place for the ’bones’ of such a great saint. So St Andrew’s remains were to be taken to the capital Constantinople, the greatest city in the world at that time.

The keeper of St Andrew's remains apparently had a dream and followed the instructions in the dream travelled eventually to Caledonia (or Scotland) where they are said to have buried St Andrew beneath the alter in the newly established church. The simple church building was eventually replaced with an awesome cathedral, the St Rule’s Tower which is now beside the ruined cathedral in St Andrews.

Of course, the fact that the great apostle laid buried in Fife, was a great source of pride for ancient Scots.

The legend goes on to say how when the Picts were fighting the Anglo-Saxons, King Angus had a dream on the eve of a battle that St Andrew appeared to him carrying his cross. Others say that a 'saltire cross' appeared in the sky. The king vowed that if, with the saint's help, he gained the victory, then Andrew would thereafter be the patron saint of Scotland and his cross the flag of Scotland. Angus did win and the Saltire duly became the national flag, and St Andrew at that point became the patron saint, protecting the Scots.

Thus began the meaning of the Scottish Flags.

The Lion Rampant (or as many call it Rampart) is also seen throughout Scotland, but the Saltire has certainly been adopted as THE Flag! You only have to remember the Mel Gibson Film Braveheart to see how it was used as a symbol then. Now Scottish Football fans ("The Tartan Army") do the same, and at international games you will see dozens of fans with the saltire painted on their faces.

As we look the meaning of the Scottish flags,we must also include The Lion Rampant or the Royal Standard of Scotland (or Coat of Arms). This was a flag that was used when the monarch was around. At one time it was an offence for this flag to be flown anywhere, other than for royalty.

The "Lion" represents strength and nobility and therefore this is seen a suitable symbol for our royalty.