The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
veejay

In Memory of The Leonard and Penny Saga.

1 hour ago, veejay said:

Ah, I hadn’t even thought of that. It was originally a Sheldon thing, but you're absolutely right.

Despite the name it's always been a Shamy project - Amy only hasn't been there filming in 6x17 (I think she was busy with her monkeys then) and 9x02 (and in that one Sheldon called it "their baby").

/OT end

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bfm said:

I had suggested something like that in another thread some time ago. Maybe they could Cosplay? They both like wearing costumes (S9 Valentine's day, S10 Christmas). That could be funny. Maybe they take Chineese food cooking classes, in which Leonard has to stop Penny from (unpurposely of course) setting everything on fire. Maybe they have another group of couple friends who also see them differently because they met them in different time and circumstances. Again many possibilities but it seems like TPTB won't go there.

Some great ideas @bfm what Lenny could be doing instead of just standing behind the kitchen island. I have stated myself that there are all kinds of things Lenny could be doing, but sadly the writers are stuck with Lenny behind the kitchen island. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Zephon75 said:

In my opinion Leonard and Penny have been undermined since season 8 and got progresively worse each season since, their only purpose now seems to be to make the Shamy look better (1) . A good example of this is 10x13, we had Lenny not getting along and the Shamy all lovey dovey and in my opinion they came across ooc in it. (2)

As for them having nothing in common it's annoying that they keep pointing it out now even though i think they do we just don't get to see them . What's annoying is Howardette don't have anything in common but that's never brought up,the Shamy themselves also don't really have much in common either.

Out of curiosity what hobbies do the Shamy share? besides playing counterfactuals which they don't any more (3)

1) Indeed it does.

2) Totally OOC. Shamy have never ever before or since been so lovey-dovey. That's not the kind of couple they are.

3) Fun with flags (And yes I'm saying that being totally sarcastic). The only hobby Shamy ever really shared is: Pleasing Sheldon.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

I think Penny has  potential to fit in better with the guys than the other girls , even though she doesn't have a phd and most of it are presented as "wow i can't believe i know that" geek moments lol.  maybe they should explore Lenny getting into science fiction together ? 

I like that idea. :shy:

pennystartrekshields0219.gif.b92f31ae9a2376fe59221e2b0edcf421.gif

• Like 8

1 hour ago, serena_1995 said:

That is a good point. Penny  bought Leonard and Sheldon the expensive transporters in season 5. Penny got Sheldon the napkin signed by Leonard Nimoy, which is arguably, one of  the greatest gifts  Sheldon has received.

There was also an old scene at the bar between Sheldon and Penny  where Penny  kinda referred to  Starfleet Academy’s unwinnable command scenario, the Kobayashi Maru- when Sheldon asked her advice about Howard, as in "Kirk cheated".  Sheldon was impressed and that was actually a very funny scene !  sometimes, I think Penny has  potential to fit in better with the guys, even though she doesn't have a phd and most of it are presented as "wow i can't believe i know that" geek moments lol.  maybe they should explore Lenny getting into science fiction together ? 

You are so right! Penny is much more open to "geek culture" than Bernadette and/or Amy.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, serena_1995 said:

That is a good point. Penny  bought Leonard and Sheldon the expensive transporters in season 5. Penny got Sheldon the napkin signed by Leonard Nimoy, which is arguably, one of  the greatest gifts  Sheldon has received.

There was also an old scene at the bar between Sheldon and Penny  where Penny  kinda referred to  Starfleet Academy’s unwinnable command scenario, the Kobayashi Maru- when Sheldon asked her advice about Howard, as in "Kirk cheated".  Sheldon was impressed and that was actually a very funny scene !  sometimes, I think Penny has  potential to fit in better with the guys, even though she doesn't have a phd and most of it are presented as "wow i can't believe i know that" geek moments lol.  maybe they should explore Lenny getting into science fiction together ? 

It would be a nice idea. Maybe someone bring a question about it to  SDCC tbbt panel and writers might give a positive feedback. There are so many sci fi stuff going on for they could be into!

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, serena_1995 said:

I've thought for a long time that it would be rather neat if Penny were to get into SF and move on to some rather more grown-up stuff than the space opera that appears to be all Leonard likes, and try to raise Leonard's taste a bit. I mean stuff like Brave New World, A Clockwork Orange and the astonishingly prophetic The Space Merchants by Pohl and Kornbluth. And of course there's that dystopian story by that Canadian woman that's been dramatised as a serial and is showing in the UK on the main channel of the company that shows TBBT on one of its secondary channels. I'd like to see Penny trying to explain to Leonard why there's more to SF than Star Trek/Wars But then I'd like to see Penny doing almost anything beyond what she gets these days.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bfm said:

The other couples have mostly science and being studious in common. None of the girls like science fiction and in fact Penny is the one who took the most interest and knows the most about these things. She was the only one willing to go to Comic Con and the only one watching Star Wars with they guys after Professor Proton's funeral. Also, in the scene when every couple react to Raj's post about leaving his apartment Lenny were the most alike and on the same page.

But if you think about it, Shamy doesn't have that in common because the complete disregard Sheldon has for Amy's field of study, right?

41 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

I've thought for a long time that it would be rather neat if Penny were to get into SF and move on to some rather more grown-up stuff than the space opera that appears to be all Leonard likes, and try to raise Leonard's taste a bit. I mean stuff like Brave New World, A Clockwork Orange and the astonishingly prophetic The Space Merchants by Pohl and Kornbluth. And of course there's that dystopian story by that Canadian woman that's been dramatised as a serial and is showing in the UK on the main channel of the company that shows TBBT on one of its secondary channels. I'd like to see Penny trying to explain to Leonard why there's more to SF than Star Trek/Wars But then I'd like to see Penny doing almost anything beyond what she gets these days.

I don't totally disagree with you, but that would just be imposing your personal tastes on Penny. I have no problem with Leonard or Sheldon or Raj or Howard for that matter liking Star trek or Star Wars or reading comic books with Thor, Superman, Green Lantern, etc, etc. I personally don't, (read comic books) but love Star Trek (TNG mainly) and Star Wars as well, but not so much. In reality taking an interest in SF shows a person getting interested in the interests of her partner and that's the extent to which I think we will ever see it explored. IMHO TBBT doesn't necessarily need to be a referendum on what good SF is.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Carlos said:

But if you think about it, Shamy doesn't have that in common because the complete disregard Sheldon has for Amy's field of study, right?

I don't totally disagree with you, but that would just be imposing your personal tastes on Penny. I have no problem with Leonard or Sheldon or Raj or Howard for that matter liking Star trek or Star Wars or reading comic books with Thor, Superman, Green Lantern, etc, etc. I personally don't, (read comic books) but love Star Trek (TNG mainly) and Star Wars as well, but not so much. In reality taking an interest in SF shows a person getting interested in the interests of her partner and that's the extent to which I think we will ever see it explored. IMHO TBBT doesn't necessarily need to be a referendum on what good SF is.

The point wasn't so much to be about "what good SF is" as to have Penny culturally one-up on Leonard for once. But SF seems  convenient because it's already frequently mentioned and L has so far always been the one to tell P. It should gradually dawn on L that P now knows more than he does about something he introduced her to.

Thinking about it a bit more, Penny getting deeply into SF would go nicely in a story with Leonard  practising some sport or outdoor activity and surprising Penny with how good he is.

Which sadly reminds me what a long time it is since we've seen Leonard striving to improve his performance at a (usually) indoor physical activity.

• Like 5

On 24/06/2017 at 4:35 PM, April said:

But ever since S3 it's the Sheldon show. Heck, go back read the early season posts in this forum and you'll see the complaints about too much Sheldon have been there even back in the day. People come and go but the complaints stay the same. So no, I don't expect the writers to change their modus operandi after all those years, Lenny baby or not. Hence why I'm arguing they should start with figurative baby steps rather than literal ones.

It's not Sheldon that's displaced Lenny, it's Shamy. As you say, Sheldon was always there, and Penny and Leonard have built their relationship more or less in front of him. He was present at their first meeting and many other key moments, and he's always been a part of their situation that they've had to deal with. That's often brought them closer. In fact, when posters ask what activities apart from sex have Lenny had in common, the answer is staring us in the face: dealing with Sheldon.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Carlos said:

Sheldon has told Amy he is proud of her and supports her in everything she does, as of 10x23. Sheldon called Amy brilliant in 10.24 and Amy called Sheldon brilliant in 10.22. I think they do have a mutual respect towards each other now.   When they started  their project, Sheldon called physics and neuroscience coming together as the "Peanut-Buttercup of the mind" lol. other than that, I don't mind Sheldon(or Amy for that matter) disliking or deriding other fields, which they don't find interesting. We all have a right to our own likes/dislikes.  I actually enjoy their trash talk and don't mind a bit of misguided intellectual elitism in a comedy about scientists, even if others do.. 

18 hours ago, Zephon75 said:

Out of curiosity what hobbies do the Shamy share? besides playing counterfactuals which they don't any more

17 hours ago, veejay said:

Their hobbies are highly imaginary as the smart and beautiful babies from Lenny. :shy:

^^ I don't think Shamy's common interests are imaginary at all. i didn't wanna go off topic but since you brought it up - maybe not specific hobbies, but they  connect - with their Quantum Cognition project and they are kinda into HP Cosplay as per 10.11.They have an interest in  Vexillology (the study of flags) too. They enjoy going to the aquarium and attend lectures together( i recall the one with dr. Brian Greene).  They both also enjoy doing experiments like herb garden meme theory, them experimenting on  their friends in s8 or their brain bowl last season.  

They have common interest in Philosophy: they connected over ancient philosophers in a casual hallway conversation .

Shamy  also appear to have an interest in the field of Linguistics- grammar correction/syntax/semantics- that sort of thing . Sheldon knows Sanskrit, Klingon , hindi and maybe Latin. Amy has her made up language in addition to Mandarin and German. 

They are both scientists so they both have a  bit of cerebral outlook to things..like their null sets argument in 10.4 when they decide to live together. 

Their drinking game in Big Bear Precipitation reveals another similarity: they are both inexperienced, risk averse,  indoor cats ! They both also appear to be attracted to each other irrespective of each others' physical appearance/dressing sense. 

And there you have it:  the sum total of what all i think Shamy have in common. Lenny also have things in common, but for some reason, the writers don't want to highlight those as much,. 

Edited by serena_1995
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, serena_1995 said:

^^ I don't think Shamy's common interests are imaginary at all. i didn't wanna go off topic but since you brought it up - maybe not specific hobbies, but they have ways in which they connect - their Quantum Cognition project and they are kinda into cosplay as per 10.11.They have an interest in  Vexillology (the study of flags) too. They enjoy going to the aquarium and attend lectures together( the one with dr. Brian Greene).  They both also enjoy doing experiments like herb garden meme theory, experimenting on  their friends in s8 or their brain bowl last season.  

They have common interest in Philosophy: they connected over ancient philosophers in a casual hallway conversation .

Shamy  also have an interest in the field of Linguistics- grammar correction/syntax/semantics- that sort of thing . Sheldon knows Sanskrit, Klingon , hindi and maybe Latin. Amy has her made up language in addition to Mandarin and German. 

They are both scientists so they both have a cerebral outlook to things..like their null sets argument in 10.4 when they decide to live together. 

Their drinking game in Big Bear Precipitation highlights another similarity: they are both inexperienced, risk averse,  indoor cats ! They both also appear to be attracted to each other and physical appearance/dressing sense is not that high of a priority for both. 

And there you have it:  the sum total of what all i think Shamy have in common. Lenny also have things in common, but for some reason, the writers don't highlight those as much. 

All those in common things you mentioned are what mostly sheldon likes or is trying to make up to please her and Amy is made to like them.

The point is personal hobbies. You just mentioned stuff they do as scientists. Amy hates Sheldon's childish vices and sheldon doesn't care for her hobbies. Fwf, Sheldon's thing that Amy likes now and started b4 amy. When have we seen sheldon liking any of Amy's hobbies or shown an interest because he enjoys doing them sincerely, without an hidden agenda.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

all those in common things you mentioned are what mostly sheldon likes or is trying to make up to please her and Amy is made to like them. 

The point is personal hobbies. You just mentioned stuff they do as scientists. Amy hates Sheldon's childish vices and sheldon doesn't care for her hobbies. Fwf, Sheldon's thing that Amy likes now and started b4 amy. When have we seen sheldon liking any of Amy's hobbies or shown an interest because he enjoys doing them sincerely, without an hidden agenda.

Um..no. FWF was started by  both Sheldon and Amy in its' very first episode(the pilot was in s5 i think) . Tell me which episode before  Amy was FWF mentioned ? And Amy genuinely enjoys Sheldon's grammar talk and how he can explain the latin origin of a word. Just like how Sheldon liked Amy's verbal mobius strip of the word "surprise" or her multilingual skills. Their conversation about philosophers again, was something they both had in common - there was no reluctance, nor was there any over eagerness/pressure from either party- it was literally a passing conversation based on their common knowledge of ancient philosophers. They also both totally love experimentation(despite Sheldon being a theorist). So what if that is stuff they do as scientists ? They are lucky that they love their job so that their job can also be their hobby ! They have different interests too of course . Sometimes they make an effort to like those things, sometimes they don't. Like Amy enjoyed Star Wars in 9.11 and how Sheldon liked Amy's harp playing. But why on earth would i mention things  that Amy hates about Sheldon or things that Sheldon hates about Amy ?The whole point of my post was what they have in common .

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

all those in common things you mentioned are what mostly sheldon likes or is trying to make up to please her and Amy is made to like them. 

Exactly! Agree with this post 1000 %!  As I mentioned earlier in the thread the only mutual hobby they share is : Pleasing Sheldon.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, serena_1995 said:

Um..no. FWF was started by  both Sheldon and Amy in its' very first episode(the pilot was in s5 i think) . Tell me which episode before  Amy was FWF mentioned ? And Amy genuinely enjoys Sheldon's grammar talk and how he can explain the latin origin of a word. Just like how Sheldon liked Amy's verbal mobius strip of the word "surprise" or her multilingual skills. Their conversation about philosophers again, was something they both had in common - there was no reluctance, nor was there any over eagerness/pressure from either party- it was literally a passing conversation based on their common knowledge of ancient philosophers. They also both totally love experimentation(despite Sheldon being a theorist). So what if that is stuff they do as scientists ? They are lucky that they love their job so that their job can also be their hobby ! They have different interests too of course . Sometimes they make an effort to like those things, sometimes they don't. Like Amy enjoyed Star Wars in 9.11 and how Sheldon liked Amy's harp playing. But why on earth would i mention things  that Amy hates about Sheldon or things that Sheldon hates about Amy ?The whole point of my post was what they have in common .

Well i understand what your saying but disagree , Fun with Flags i don't see as a shared hobby Amy just participates , it's like Penny playing a video games with Leonard does that mean it's a shared hobby now? Yes they are both scientists and they love they're jobs but no it doesn't count as a shared hobby.As for the things in common they're a bit of a stretch imo.It's like me saying Lenny both being snarky, sarcastic and enjoying watching tv are things in common. Also i've don't remember Sheldon ever making a effort or liking any of Amy's interests, but if i'm wrong please provide a example.Now i'm not sure where you got these things from but  in 9x11 Amy never said she enjoyed Star Wars, i also don't remember Sheldon ever saying he liked Amy's harp  eithrt. I just like to point these are just my opinions i could very well be wrong also i'm not disrespecting your opinion i just don't agree with it.

Edited by Zephon75
  • Like 6

Okay you are right about fwf. It was first shown in S5. The Beta Test Initiation with Amy.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zephon75 said:

Well i understand what your saying but disagree , Fun with Flags i don't see as a shared hobby Amy just participates , it's like Penny playing a video games with Leonard does that mean it's a shared hobby now? Yes they are both scientists and they love they're jobs but no it doesn't count as a shared hobby.As for the things in common they're a bit of a stretch imo.It's like me saying Lenny both being snarky, sarcastic and enjoying watching tv are things in common. Also i've don't remember Sheldon ever making a effort or liking any of Amy's interests, but if i'm wrong please provide a example.Now i'm not sure where you got these things from but  in 9x11 Amy never said she enjoyed Star Wars, i also don't remember Sheldon ever saying he liked Amy's harp  eithrt. I just like to point these are just my opinions i could very well be wrong also i'm not disrespecting your opinion i just don't agree with it.

Lets agree to disagree. Sheldon and Amy most definitely share specific interests in philosophy,  linguistics and science. FWF was always a Shamy thing,  it didn't exist before Amy. They love experimentation- and yes i 100 % count it as a shared interest since they are doing it for fun. 

Ofcourse they both have different interests. But it is a mixed bag. Sheldon liked Amy playing the auto harp in 10.20. Sheldon also went basket weaving with Amy. In 9.11,  at the end of the episode , it is said they both later watched  star wars and liked it. In "tangible affection proof", Amy made an effort to give up Valentine's day , to stay in and watch a movie that Sheldon likes. 

Im not sure why shamy was brought up  anyway and  why so much energy is being put to prove Shamy have nothing in common......when ive been supportive of Lenny and even said that shamy have had different interests as well in addition to their similarities. 

Anyway, I've tried to offer supportive suggestions for Lenny but it is probably best I dont venture into this thread anymore.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, serena_1995 said:

Um..no. FWF was started by  both Sheldon and Amy in its' very first episode(the pilot was in s5 i think) .

It was in "The Beta Test Initiation".  14th episode of season five.  

2 hours ago, serena_1995 said:

Im not sure why shamy was brought up  anyway and  why so much energy is being put to prove Shamy have nothing in common......when ive been supportive of Lenny and even said that shamy have had different interests as well in addition to their similarities. 

Yes you have been supportive.  But, if Lenny is going to be portrayed as having nothing in common (when they do share things), I think it's fair to point out where Shamy doesn't share things.  Not that everything that was used here shows that.   

• Like 3

I don't think common interests have the same significance re Lenny and Shamy. The writers have made it an issue for Lenny. For Shamy they just invent common interests because they think they are funny in themselves. They're not relevant to the relationship really. And they don't have ones they could have eg Sheldon could learn Middle English without much difficulty and share Amy's interest in Chaucer, but there are presumably no laughs there.

• Like 2

Please remember, this is not a ship thread.  While it is primarily for Leonard and Penny, any comments about other characters can get replies or referenced.  If anyone doesn't want to talk about other characters, the best bet is not to refer to other characters here.  Use the Shipping Lanes thread.   

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, JE7 said:

Screw it i am out

o_00257.gif.97a0b815973830cb30d23fd44f722626.gif

We’re getting too old for this crud. There will be a new and appropriate thread in the season 11 section coming soon.
So I informed you thusly. :shy:

o_00311.gif.10149b1fd746d62f057f10f6f3146a7d.gif

Edited by veejay
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Tensor said:

Please remember, this is not a ship thread.  While it is primarily for Leonard and Penny, any comments about other characters can get replies or referenced.  If anyone doesn't want to talk about other characters, the best bet is not to refer to other characters here.  Use the Shipping Lanes thread.   

I don't mind terribly the talk about Shamy in the context it was being discussed, but as far as I understand it this is a place for Lenny shippers where we can talk negatively about our ship (from a place of love, obviously) right? IF we need to talk about Shamy to illustrate something about our ship I don't think it is against the rules for this thread, right?

• Like 1