The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Season 10-11 Hiatus Thread

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:25 PM, vonmar said:

Yes Sheldon manipulates, but his power is limited. He relies on what he assumes to be flaws or weakness in those he chooses to manipulate.  

In "Itchy Brain" the ball was in Leonard's court.  He could have ended the entire thing, but chose not to.

In blackmailing Priya, Sheldon played into a weakness in the L/P relationship. He counted on the fact that Priya knew that he family in India would object to Leonard as a suitor and used it against her.   

In both situations Sheldon won because those he went up against bowed to either pride or outside pressure.

Not at all. In "Itchy Bain" the ball was totally in Sheldon's court. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is a sort of implicit obligation not to be a total asshole to your friends And if we are to use your (incorrect) logic, Sheldon could have chosen not to act like a complete piece of shit but decided not to.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Not at all. In "Itchy Bain" the ball was totally in Sheldon's court. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is a sort of implicit obligation not to be a total asshole to your friends And if we are to use your (incorrect) logic, Sheldon could have chosen not to act like a complete piece of shit but decided not to.

Yes, Sheldon was being a jerk, but Leonard could have quit at any time, even Penny begged him to stop. Blame Sheldon all you want, but he won because Leonard refused to walk away from the challenge.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, vonmar said:

Yes, Sheldon was being a jerk, but Leonard could have quit at any time, even Penny begged him to stop. Blame Sheldon all you want, but he won because Leonard refused to walk away from the challenge.

Using your example Amy called Sheldon Machiavellian. It is NEVER he victim's fault. And of course Leonard who never be such a bad friend to Sheldon, or such an asshole. And I wouldn't say Sheldon won. He got his way, at the cost of his friend's dignity. Some kind of triumph. Tells you what a piece of shit Sheldon really is as a (fictitious) person.

Edited by Carlos
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, vonmar said:

Blame is not conserved. Sheldon was to blame for imposing the sweater, and Leonard was to blame for going along with it. L's blame is not to be subtracted from S's.

We have some freedom in interpreting Sheldon (as Zack would say "there's no one right answer"). I think he manipulates people mainly to confirm that he's much smarter than they are.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Kathy2611 said:

OMG!!!!  Do NOT buy a Chevy Impala!!!  $800 to fix a damn a/c compressor that I HAVE to fix or it will cause more problems if I go without.  And surprise, they're notorious for going out.  Ahhhhhh!!!  I miss the older cars that were more basic and less computerized.

That's a pretty standard price, unless you want to risk buying a cheap knock off from China for $400.

9 minutes ago, Capt. Hilts said:

That's a pretty standard price, unless you want to risk buying a cheap knock off from China for $400.

Well my complaint is that I can't simply let it go for awhile until I can save up for it without dipping into savings and stuff.  Why is all of this connected to the engine and battery.  It FORCES you to take care of it now.  A/C is not a necessity!  But apparently it is now a days since it's all connected 

13 hours ago, Kathy2611 said:

OMG!!!!  Do NOT buy a Chevy Impala!!!  $800 to fix a damn a/c compressor that I HAVE to fix or it will cause more problems if I go without.  And surprise, they're notorious for going out.  Ahhhhhh!!!  I miss the older cars that were more basic and less computerized.

My mechanic wanted $700 for the same thing (Saturn (GM)). And I bought the car from them and they said the AC was working (in December. We turned it on and it blew out cold air...BUT IT WAS DECEMBER). I told them no. I got the part online (refurb in the US) for $99 with a one year warranty and my mechanic put it in for $200 (Freon and Labor).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kathy2611 said:

Well my complaint is that I can't simply let it go for awhile until I can save up for it without dipping into savings and stuff.  Why is all of this connected to the engine and battery.  It FORCES you to take care of it now.  A/C is not a necessity!  But apparently it is now a days since it's all connected 

I learned the lesson a long time ago: I don't buy American. I either buy Japanese or German. Never (ever) did I have a problem with A/C and cars began having mechanical problems after the 100,000 mile mark.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Carlos said:

I learned the lesson a long time ago: I don't buy American. I either buy Japanese or German. Never (ever) did I have a problem with A/C and cars began having mechanical problems after the 100,000 mile mark.

Yeah I know but at the time it was cheap and pretty but lesson learned.  Cheaper by the month doesn't necessarily mean cheaper over all.  My next one is going to be a Honda.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Kathy2611 said:

Yeah I know but at the time it was cheap and pretty but lesson learned.  Cheaper by the month doesn't necessarily mean cheaper over all.  My next one is going to be a Honda.  

Believe me I didn't come to the decision lightly, but I felt like I had to. I've had both Honda and Nissan, and Volkswagen and they have all been (for me at least) problem free cars. Good luck!

• Like 2

I have a question - cluster about Shamy that I feel might be an issue when it comes to getting and staying engaged. Perhaps someone who understands Shamy better than I do will be able to answer me. I'm asking it here in case it's considered a trifle unshippy for the Shamy thread.

Amy has always had an idea that Sheldon was so desirable and such a 'good catch' that other women might pursue him. She scent-marked his office in case Alex became a problem. She gave him a whistle to use when he went away in case any strange women came onto him. Fair enough, up to a point :  many of us wouldn't be brave enough to fancy a man nobody else thought worth having, and Sheldon lightheartedly even told Amy what to do if there was a handsome clone of himself at her new place of work.

However, shouldn't Amy now be feeling more secure ? He calls her 'my mate' and 'my woman' and he's told her she's an essential part of his life. He's shared his body and his Netflix password. Her remark about all Ramona 's having to do was point the ketchup at her fries has had me thinking and perhaps worrying. It strikes me as being rather unfair on him. Does Amy really think that another woman could be successful in catching Sheldon ? Isn't it a bit of an insult to Sheldon's integrity ?  However blatant Ramona would have needed to be before the penny dropped in Sheldon's head that she had designs on him, shouldn't Amy know he would not have reciprocated ? If the matter of Ramona's behaviour  is discussed between Sheldon and Amy, isn't he going to respond with something like, 'Don't you trust me ?' I can see it being a bone of contention or at least something they should properly talk about and resolve.

Could it possibly give Sheldon cause for second thoughts ? Were the writers clever after all in choosing Ramona rather than some stranger everybody could forget about ? She's no more leaving the physics universe than  is Stephen Hawking. And he has feelings about her, albeit different ones from the ones Amy feared he could develop. Amy reacted to being told of Ramona's presence before there was any evidence she had romantic ideas about Sheldon. She was right this time,as it happens, but is he going to wonder if she's going to respond like this to any other female physicists ?

3 hours ago, Carlos said:

I learned the lesson a long time ago: I don't buy American.

I don't know what American is anymore. One of my kids has a Subaru made in Lafayette, IN, one of them has a Honda made in Greenberg, IN and one of them has a Volkswagen made in New Stanton, PA.

48 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

However, shouldn't Amy now be feeling more secure ? He calls her 'my mate' and 'my woman' and he's told her she's an essential part of his life. He's shared his body and his Netflix password.

She loves him and she gets jealous sometimes. That is not unusual when one is in their first serious relationship. We saw the same thing when she first had female friends. She was sometimes very inappropriate in the way she was with Penny and Bernie. But as was pointed out in a Paleyfest interview, they were trying to show that she hadn't done the things most girls do at a much younger age. I suspect this is more of the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

I have a question - cluster about Shamy that I feel might be an issue when it comes to getting and staying engaged. Perhaps someone who understands Shamy better than I do will be able to answer me. I'm asking it here in case it's considered a trifle unshippy for the Shamy thread.

Amy has always had an idea that Sheldon was so desirable and such a 'good catch' that other women might pursue him. She scent-marked his office in case Alex became a problem. She gave him a whistle to use when he went away in case any strange women came onto him. Fair enough, up to a point :  many of us wouldn't be brave enough to fancy a man nobody else thought worth having, and Sheldon lightheartedly even told Amy what to do if there was a handsome clone of himself at her new place of work.

However, shouldn't Amy now be feeling more secure ? He calls her 'my mate' and 'my woman' and he's told her she's an essential part of his life. He's shared his body and his Netflix password. Her remark about all Ramona 's having to do was point the ketchup at her fries has had me thinking and perhaps worrying. It strikes me as being rather unfair on him. Does Amy really think that another woman could be successful in catching Sheldon ? Isn't it a bit of an insult to Sheldon's integrity ?  However blatant Ramona would have needed to be before the penny dropped in Sheldon's head that she had designs on him, shouldn't Amy know he would not have reciprocated ? If the matter of Ramona's behaviour  is discussed between Sheldon and Amy, isn't he going to respond with something like, 'Don't you trust me ?' I can see it being a bone of contention or at least something they should properly talk about and resolve.

Could it possibly give Sheldon cause for second thoughts ? Were the writers clever after all in choosing Ramona rather than some stranger everybody could forget about ? She's no more leaving the physics universe than  is Stephen Hawking. And he has feelings about her, albeit different ones from the ones Amy feared he could develop. Amy reacted to being told of Ramona's presence before there was any evidence she had romantic ideas about Sheldon. She was right this time,as it happens, but is he going to wonder if she's going to respond like this to any other female physicists ?

It's playing to the old stereotype of a jealous woman who doesn't like her partner coming into contact with other women, I wouldn't think too much of it personally if I was her. I mean out of all the guys in the show I think it's fair to suggest he is the most likely not to do something like that i.e.cheat. I think she should feel secure in her relationship especially after all that has happened this season and the progress.

The ketchup line was just a gag based on the many years it took for them to be finally physical, it took a long time to get them to that point. I actually thought it was hilarious, but I expect Sheldon actually wouldn't like that if he knew about it.

But you raise an interesting point about what may or may not happen in the new season at the beginning. I'm actually on an island by the looks of it, the one deserted Shamy who is wary of the season opener and can see for some of the reasons you have mentioned a drama angle should the writers wish to use it. I'm still expecting a happy outcome but these writers if they feel they could make a compelling story from say a no or a 'let me think about it' response from Amy then I have no doubts they could take it.

Amy says yes and they are happy, Amy says no and Sheldon is left devastated, Amy says let me think about it leading to Sheldon being annoyed, Amy gets pissed off with Sheldon about Ramona, Sheldon gets pissed off about Amy's response to Ramona when he feels is he is innocent etc.

There are a lot of ways they could go about it, it's all set up for the season opener.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, joyceraye said:

This mentions at least 2 examples of what seems to be the usual thing in TBBT - characters don't tell other characters things they need to know. So far as we know, Amy doesn't know that when S & A were broken up Sheldon rejected a woman rather more attractive than Ramona who liked to translate from Klingon into Sanskrit. That should give her confidence if she knew.

Amy "scent-marking" Sheldon's office was utterly filthy - licking objects and rubbing others in her armpit. Penny saw this but didn't tell anyone. Sheldon had a right to know so that he could at least have his office cleaned. Penny knew how fastidious Sheldon is. And why should Alex have to work in such a polluted environment? Penny also didn't tell Leonard. If he had known he would presumably never have left Amy alone in 4A where she might get up to her filthy tricks. It also didn't make sense that Penny would ever allow Amy in 4B again after Amy told her she'd done the same thing there.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jonny said:

It's playing to the old stereotype of a jealous woman who doesn't like her partner coming into contact with other women, I wouldn't think too much of it personally if I was her. I mean out of all the guys in the show I think it's fair to suggest he is the most likely not to do something like that i.e.cheat. I think she should feel secure in her relationship especially after all that has happened this season and the progress.

The ketchup line was just a gag based on the many years it took for them to be finally physical, it took a long time to get them to that point. I actually thought it was hilarious, but I expect Sheldon actually wouldn't like that if he knew about it.

But you raise an interesting point about what may or may not happen in the new season at the beginning. I'm actually on an island by the looks of it, the one deserted Shamy who is wary of the season opener and can see for some of the reasons you have mentioned a drama angle should the writers wish to use it. I'm still expecting a happy outcome but these writers if they feel they could make a compelling story from say a no or a 'let me think about it' response from Amy then I have no doubts they could take it.

Amy says yes and they are happy, Amy says no and Sheldon is left devastated, Amy says let me think about it leading to Sheldon being annoyed, Amy gets pissed off with Sheldon about Ramona, Sheldon gets pissed off about Amy's response to Ramona when he feels is he is innocent etc.

There are a lot of ways they could go about it, it's all set up for the season opener.

You are not alone on a desert island. I worry it's all too good to be true. I have visions of her saying 'Yes' ; they get engaged and tell everybody, start making wedding and living arrangements and then ....... Wallop ! ...... Sheldon finds out he's signed up for one of those wives who doesn't trust her innocent, perfect gentleman husband and wonders whether he should drop the whole idea before the noose is round his neck. It will all come right eventually of course but  I half fear we could be in for a roller coaster. From Sheldon's point of view, he's already lost something on discovering Ramona was after more than he was. That must have been heavily disappointing enough without discovering Amy doesn't trust him not to succumb. He's not going to want to spend the next sixty or seventy years avoiding making friends with scientists on his wavelength just because Amy doesn't approve. More and more of them are going to be women. It won't be long now before one of the schoolgirls he tried to encourage could turn up at the uni.  He's got to address this issue and get it resolved.  

OTOH we could hear no more about it. So far, he doesn't even know Amy is bothered, let alone that she thinks he might dip his chips in the ketchup. The writers might  drop it and decide he never knows anything about it . Having said that .......................... 

Really, this is been put on Amy

She didn't  cheat

She didn't lead a man on and didn't ignore her friends advice, unlike sheldon who pretended he didn't know what romona was up to, the man that knows it all and an expert in relationships. I don't buy it. He loved the attention and milked it to the end, felt guilty and proposed, the work of an expert manipulator in progress. Amy has every right not to trust him. He even admitted to penny about cheating. but now Amy is the jealous one and the evil one  because she has the audacity if she finds out not to trust sheldon after what he did. Woo. That nutjob can never do no wrong. Always other people's fault. Unbelievable. Sheldon should be the one trying his best to convince Amy that he fucked up big time and give her time to build any trust that has been lost from his transgressions

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

Really, this is been put on Amy

She didn't  cheat

She didn't lead a man on and didn't ignore her friends advice, unlike sheldon who pretended he didn't know what romona was up to, the man that knows it all and an expert in relationships. I don't buy it. He loved the attention and milked it to the end, felt guilty and proposed, the work of an expert manipulator in progress. Amy has every right not to trust him. He even admitted to penny about cheating. but now Amy is the jealous one and the evil one  because she has the audacity if she finds out not to trust sheldon after what he did. Woo. That nutjob can never do no wrong. Always other people's fault. Unbelievable. Sheldon should be the one trying his best to convince Amy that he fucked up big time and give her time to build any trust that has been lost from his transgressions

Interesting. Do you think Amy should say 'No' then ? Do you think her fear of adultery would be well-founded ?

@joyceraye I probably wasn't clear enough in my post  but this jealously angle I don't see being an issue at all, like I said I think it's just a joke or trying to copy a real life situation. Honestly her jealously is fairly tame, the scenting thing was done for humor and her reaction to Ramona was fairly tame so far anyway and done again for comedy affect. I have known real life examples of far worse reactions believe me. I don't see at all Sheldon's reaction being like as you hypothesized.

To be clear I am going into the season opener thinking any outcome is possible. I hope, would bet money if I was a gambling man on her saying yes probably after a discussion about Ramona. But I am not going to assume it's going to be a yes, because it's a question with 2 possible answers here. And it wouldn't take much for the writers to change their mind, go into the writing room having her say yes but then see a possible drama storyline that they could use if she says no or maybe. Is that a pessimistic stance to take, not assuming going into the season that it's going to be an automatic 100% yes? No, I would say it's actually fairly level headed and realistic.

Because I am being honest here if I assume she is going to say yes I am going to absolutely lose my shit and rage like crazy if it's a no, so If I prepare for all outcomes then it will be less stressful.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 2

Interesting. Do you think Amy should say 'No' then ? Do you think her fear of adultery would be well-founded ?

I think for now yes. Until she can trust him. Sheldon supposed to have made a lot of progress in his relationship according to the writers but this seems to not be the case in 10x24. Amy has every right to be worried if sheldon cannot see the clues staring right in front of him concerning other woman who might have an ulterior motive.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

I think for now yes. Until she can trust him. Sheldon supposed to have made a lot of progress in his relationship according to the writers but this seems to not be the case in 10x24. Amy has every right to be worried if sheldon cannot see the clues staring right in front of him concerning other woman who might have an ulterior motive.

He has never acted on any woman's fancy for him, other than Amy's that is, and even that took him years.  Whatever else Sheldon is, and no-one can deny he can be a swine, I think he's loyal when it comes to this sort of thing. He likes attention, yes. After describng her appearance the first of Ramona's attributes he mentioned to Amy was that she was an admirer of his work. He possibly sees Ramona's accomplishments as his own too - notice there was no belittling of her ability and no jealousy - the self-centred sod. And of course if Amy gets jealous he'll accuse her of having trust issues. However, whether he does or doesn't see through women's wiles I don't think matters. He's not going to reciprocate. If it had taken coming home to find Ramona naked in his bed before he'd gathered what she was after, he wouldn't have joined her. It beats me why his closest friends and Amy thought even bossy Sheldon-whispering Ramona ( whom Amy had never even heard of before ) would have sufficient power to override his commitment and fidelity. 

Edited by joyceraye
typo
  • Like 1

Lets talk about the Twybedok in the room, if Sheldon and Amy marry we will soon see the child of homo novus. The next stage of human evolution and our future (hopefully benevolent) overlordstewie.gif.6195b70f0616c203d14fc3c97adee608.gif

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

He has never acted on any woman's fancy for him, other than Amy's that is, and even that took him years.  Whatever else Sheldon is, and no-one can deny he can be a swine, I think he's loyal when it comes to this sort of thing. He likes attention, yes. After describng her appearance the first of Ramona's attributes he mentioned to Amy was that she was an admirer of his work. He possibly sees Ramona's accomplishments as his own too - notice there was no belittling of her ability and no jealousy - the self-centred sod. And of course if Amy gets jealous he'll accuse her of having trust issues. However, whether he does or doesn't see through women's whiles I don't think matters. He's not going to reciprocate. If it had taken coming home to find Ramona naked in his bed before he'd gathered what she was after, he wouldn't have joined her. It beats me why his closest friends and Amy thought even bossy Sheldon-whispering Ramona ( whom Amy had never even heard of before ) would have sufficient power to override his commitment and fidelity. 

Not a fan of Sheldon and do not want to be seen as defending him.....but (always with the "but"...and ellipses.  I love the ellipses [plural ellipses] like Penny loves steak!)....I took it as his friends wanting to protect him from any advances that Ramona may have made (rightly so) not that Sheldon would succumb to them.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, JE7 said:

Lets talk about the Twybedok in the room, if Sheldon and Amy marry we will soon see the child of homo novus. The next stage of human evolution and our future (hopefully benevolent) overlordstewie.gif.6195b70f0616c203d14fc3c97adee608.gif

lol

Penny: Could you two really have a super-intelligent child?

Amy: Well there is a genetic component, but that doesn't guarantee anything.

Leonard: That's true. Sheldon's father once picked a fight with a cactus.

30 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

Not a fan of Sheldon and do not want to be seen as defending him.....but (always with the "but"...and ellipses.  I love the ellipses [plural ellipses] like Penny loves steak!)....I took it as his friends wanting to protect him from any advances that Ramona may have made (rightly so) not that Sheldon would succumb to them.

I saw them as protecting both of their friends (Sheldon and Amy) and the Shamy relationship. A stark contrast to their response in Season 9 and the breakup.

• Like 2

But in this case Sheldon didn't even need to read any cues. His friends told him about the situation and  what was going on and he just ignored them because (oh surprise) he thought he knew better. 2 days ago they were showing the episode in which Leonard has the sinus operation. In it there is a line as to Sheldon's fear of public pools and how he'd never go into one because the parts per million I believe it was of urine (but I'm not sure). In the Ramona episode apparently he had forgotten about that one. Hhhhhhmmm some eidetic memory...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Carlos said:

But in this case Sheldon didn't even need to read any cues. His friends told him about the situation and  what was going on and he just ignored them because (oh surprise) he thought he knew better. 2 days ago they were showing the episode in which Leonard has the sinus operation. In it there is a line as to Sheldon's fear of public pools and how he'd never go into one because the parts per million I believe it was of urine (but I'm not sure). In the Ramona episode apparently he had forgotten about that one. Hhhhhhmmm some eidetic memory...

Good point, I'd forgotten about that. It seems unlikely that Sheldon would submerge his body in liquid that contains a lot of other DNA. :bad: 

• Like 3