The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Season 10-11 Hiatus Thread

30 minutes ago, bfm said:

Compare season 10 to early seasons. Suddenly Sheldon is an expert on almost everything. He still has flaws of course but it's that extreme diffetence that makes it feel this way. It is more than character development, it feels ridiculous to me at times. Suddenly he works on engines? The only one who understands math symbols (I'm not talking about complex equations just the basics that others suddenly can't handle)? A master baker? Goes for hours on his first time having sex? Please...I find it ridiculous. I don't expect you to agree of course, I expect many disagreements but that is how I feel. Oh, and that's without mentioning the "all hail the mighty Sheldon" episode (200 and season 7 Christmas).

He's not an expert on anything, really. And the show is not framing him as such.

He is tinkering with engines but literally has not clue what he is doing. // He has always been the most sophisticated at maths out of all the guys. That's nothing new. I'm not sure when they struggled with basic equations as you claim. This season they've worked on the gyroscope and the project with Amy and on both he wasn't flawlessly breezing through everything. A whole episode what dedicated to him not being able to do the maths for the gyroscope at first, and even in his collaboration with Amy he made some dumb mistakes. // You are not a master baker just because you can make good croissants. It's easy if you follow a good recipe and he even had some help from Raj. And the same episode was full of stuff that he couldn't do. So again, clearly not an expert at everything. // And the sex thing? Jeez, in that time frame there was evidently foreplay and figuring things out involved as well as the "Why? Oh that's why!" titbit implied. He and Amy have fun in bed together and there's nothing wrong or unrealistic about that. It's all about partner compatibility and they are a perfect match in that regard. So what? Doesn't make him a universal sex expert* though and the show isn't treating him as such. (*the whole notion of this is ridiculous anyway)

I mean, I get it, Leonard is always the one down on his luck so seeing Sheldon get anything good is raising your hackles. But the hyperbole of calling Sheldon an expert in things that he clearly isn't good at, or he just managed to not fuck up for once, or things he is only good at because of specific circumstances is just a bit much for me. I can't take that seriously and again that only makes me think y'all are super impressed by the most basic things.

5 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Also he has always been a know-it-all, with a knowledge of things he was not supposed to be interested in, like football.

Right! The thing is Sheldon thinks he's an expert in everything but mostly really isn't. Well, maybe he is in football but any idiot can be an expert in sports if you have enough time to waste so that isn't really impressing me. Many other times the show directly puts him in his place - like the engine thing when Howard points out that Sheldon actually has no idea what the fuck he's even doing lol - or he gets his comeuppance for his arrogance in some other way - like losing the Physics Bowl because of his unwillingness to listen to his team mate. This has been part of the show for ages.

• Like 8

The show has definitely transparently shown Sheldon is an expert at EVERYTHING. It's been well documented how they have thrown Cannon out the window. Over the years. Who cares what he did or said in s4. That's hardly important now is it.

The recent episode gone 10.22. Sheldon plot he can do everything perfect! The whole Sheldon has perfected sex. Yes sex. Not coitus. Ugh hate that term. The Birthday Syndrocity post episode. Leonard bad in the bedroom. Sheldon is an sexpert! Please. The transparent love for Sheldon. And the transparent hate for Leonard. Is pretty obvious. But that's jmo. I'm just hoping for better balance next season. But I fear a lot of that damage from a writing stance, has been done since s8.

Edited by Tripper
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

It was mentioned in S. 4 that Sheldon can bake and cook very well. Also he has always been a know-it-all, with a knowledge of things he was not supposed to be interested in, like football. He pretended to be a better engineer (or at least to know engineering better) than Howard well before the train episode in S. 10.  As a person with a degree in Mathematics, I assure you that it's not always easy to understand or to know all the symbols written on a board. I sure can't. We don't know exactly which kind of Maths was needed for that prototype, if that were just basic equations or something more advanced. It's not unlikely Leonard, and above all Howard, didn't know what Sheldon was doing.

I don't want to deny the way Sheldon has been depicted during the years, the basic fact about his character is that he thinks that he is better than everyone else and often the writers build on that, what I think is it was always the case, even in S. 1, the point is that now it is more notable because of the poor plots some other characters are given. 

Exactly, and that’s the point for many complaining about this character now.
Everything you say is true, but from the writers' (and on a lot of viewers') standpoints, it's all gotten pretty annoying. His brilliant mind is, or at least it was, focused on his work. He was perfectly content and a heck of a lot funnier the way he was. But no(w), somehow the writers had to "cure" him by making him even have sex. They ruined a great character for me.

s_0214.gif.3686946be46add930b349f96325c3dd2.gif

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, veejay said:

Everything you say is true, but from the writers' (and on a lot of viewers') standpoints, it's all gotten pretty annoying. His brilliant mind is, or at least it was, focused on his work. He was perfectly content and a heck of a lot funnier the way he was. But no(w), somehow the writers had to "cure" him by making him even have sex. They ruined a great character for me.

That's were we disagree but, you know...that's the fun of it, LOL!

My impression with the show is that the writers were good enough in making naturally evolve certain characters (namely Sheldon and Howard) so that to me they are still true to their initial selves but it's believable  that now they have sex or a family. Were the writers failed is with Leonard and Raj, IMO. It's a writing problem for me, nothing against Leonard and Raj as characters, I still like them. Leonard was the center of the show, everything was told from his PoV, because he was the connection between the nerd-world and the cool-world for the other guys, who looked at him for guidance most of the times. That was the premise of the show. But the other guys have opened up to the "cool" world to the extent they don't need his guidance that often, and have also other persons to help them with that.* So the writers need to find new challenges for Leonard, IMO. Same goes for Raj. He is basically the same person he was when the show started, minus his inability to talk to women which was indeed a blessing, in retrospect. 

* You can notice that also in the way the plots are divided now. In the last couple of seasons 4A has a bit lost his role of "center" of the show,  the place where all character arrive at some point or the other of an episode. Now we can count on one hand the dinners at 4A, for example.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

That's were we disagree but, you know...that's the fun of it, LOL!

Really, it is! :shy:

32 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

My impression with the show is that the writers were good enough in making naturally evolve certain characters (namely Sheldon and Howard) so that to me they are still true to their initial selves but it's believable  that now they have sex or a family. Were the writers failed is with Leonard and Raj, IMO. It's a writing problem for me, nothing against Leonard and Raj as characters, I still like them. Leonard was the center of the show, everything was told from his PoV, because he was the connection between the nerd-world and the cool-world for the other guys, who looked at him for guidance most of the times. That was the premise of the show. But the other guys have opened up to the "cool" world to the extent they don't need his guidance that often, and have also other persons to help them with that.* So the writers need to find new challenges for Leonard, IMO. Same goes for Raj. He is basically the same person he was when the show started, minus his inability to talk to women which was indeed a blessing, in retrospect. 

* You can notice that also in the way the plots are divided now. In the last couple of seasons 4A has a bit lost his role of "center" of the show,  the place where all character arrive at some point or the other of an episode. Now we can count on one hand the dinners at 4A, for example.

And I agree with you now.
Leonard's insecurities but also his correspondence to reality at the same time were funny in the beginning. But now, he's got the "beautiful girl of his dreams." The writers should think of something else. They've changed almost everything else, why not Leonard?
About Raj, well, you know… :icon_rolleyes:

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, veejay said:

Really, it is! :shy:

And I agree with you now.
Leonard's insecurities but also his correspondence to reality at the same time were funny in the beginning. But now, he's got the "beautiful girl of his dreams." The writers should think of something else. They've changed almost everything else, why not Leonard?
About Raj, well, you know… :icon_rolleyes:

I would love nothing more than Leonard getting the same kind of treatment Howard and Sheldon got that allowed them get their shit together and move forward in life. The writers seem to be stuck in a rut with this character and it's such a pity cause it could actually be interesting to give Leonard the metaphorical kick in the arse that worked so well on Howard and Sheldon.

I mean, characters thrive when you give them a challenge and right now Leonard isn't getting much of anything. The only challenge as such has always been getting Penny but now that he has her he seems to be weirdly stuck in the past with him still boasting about getting he hot chick thanks to seemingly endless (mostly off-screen) begging and grovelling - which is weird as hell cause it's coming up so often. He needs to get over it and finally tackle the future with his wife.

Obviously, Raj is even in bigger need of some good writing... oh well.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, veejay said:

s_0214.gif.3686946be46add930b349f96325c3dd2.gif

Maybe deep down he wanted more from life? I think everyone deserves to find in their view 'happiness'. I take the view that if Sheldon was perfectly happy with his old life he would have stuck with it. Sure he was blackmailed with a dirty sock into meeting Amy but at any point he could have just shared a beverage with her at the coffee shop and then parted ways after it, gone back to his routine his homeostasis. But something changed, some hidden desire perhaps buried deep resurfaced and he didn't.

The Sheldon we are seeing now is the man he always wanted to become IMO. He Just needed a bit of help from his friends, some opportunities and some experiences both painful and intoxicating to get there.

When people say he is not as much of a nerd or the show isn't nerdy anymore I think back to what Chuck Lorre said in an interview back in 2016:

"We never said the word 'nerd' or 'geek'; those words came later; they were attached to the show. We were more interested in these guys that were crazy smart and their inability to move through the world that the rest of us take for granted."

Chuck Lorre - Feb 24th 2016 - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/big-bang-theory-evolution-how-869049

"Inability to move through the world that the rest of us take for granted". That sums it up, it is a comedy about life, ups and downs, challenges and opportunities. Love and trying to find it is one of those opportunities.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 9

33 minutes ago, April said:

I would love nothing more than Leonard getting the same kind of treatment Howard and Sheldon got that allowed them get their shit together and move forward in life. The writers seem to be stuck in a rut with this character and it's such a pity cause it could actually be interesting to give Leonard the metaphorical kick in the arse that worked so well on Howard and Sheldon.

I mean, characters thrive when you give them a challenge and right now Leonard isn't getting much of anything. The only challenge as such has always been getting Penny but now that he has her he seems to be weirdly stuck in the past with him still boasting about getting he hot chick thanks to seemingly endless (mostly off-screen) begging and grovelling - which is weird as hell cause it's coming up so often. He needs to get over it and finally tackle the future with his wife.

Obviously, Raj is even in bigger need of some good writing... oh well.

This is also one of my bigger problem with the actual writing. Why the heck should I watch a TV show to interpret their stories off-screen? That doesn't make any sense for me. :shy:

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, veejay said:

This is also one of my bigger problem with the actual writing. Why the heck should I watch a TV show to interpret their stories off-screen? That doesn't make any sense for me. :shy:

What's worse is not even that it's "oh all the good stuff happens off screen!" but rather that years later the writers fill in the blanks and it's actually bad stuff. Like, we saw the whole courting process with Lenny and the ups and downs and all that but it wasn't too dramatic. They had one big breakup but then got back together. Maybe if you stretch it you could count the failed first date as well. But that was really it. The show however wants us believe this on-again-off again thing and apparently Penny dumped Leonard at least half a dozen times?? Or at least he says he stopped counting at 4 which...???? Or the proposals! I thought the bit of back-and-forth proposing between them we actually saw on screen was rather cute and by the end they had an even score. But now the show wants us to believe that Leonard proposed a couple times more right down to hiring a plane to write it in the sky. Jeez. Talk about unnecessary!

And it's all to serve this "nerd got the hot chick through begging hurrhurr" joke. God, I hate that one so much you have no idea! ughhh

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, April said:

What's worse is not even that it's "oh all the good stuff happens off screen!" but rather that years later the writers fill in the blanks and it's actually bad stuff. Like, we saw the whole courting process with Lenny and the ups and downs and all that but it wasn't too dramatic. They had one big breakup but then got back together. Maybe if you stretch it you could count the failed first date as well. But that was really it. The show however wants us believe this on-again-off again thing and apparently Penny dumped Leonard at least half a dozen times?? Or at least he says he stopped counting at 4 which...???? Or the proposals! I thought the bit of back-and-forth proposing between them we actually saw on screen was rather cute and by the end they had an even score. But now the show wants us to believe that Leonard proposed a couple times more right down to hiring a plane to write it in the sky. Jeez. Talk about unnecessary!

And it's all to serve this "nerd got the hot chick through begging hurrhurr" joke. God, I hate that one so much you have no idea! ughhh

I agree with you entirely.
"I want to cut open the writer's brain and see what the heck is going on in there."
(to paraphrase Amy here from S6 - The Bon Voyage Reaction)

n_00350.gif.f3199ae0abb9f439f739f3e5c1ce5ab9.gif

Penny, tell the writers, please!  :shy:

• Like 5

7 hours ago, bfm said:

Suddenly he works on engines?

In his apartment!!! ....on the 4th floor without an elevator.! Thats just silly!!!

With Sheldon the show has always flirted with being a farce. Think luminous fish.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

In his apartment!!! ....on the 4th floor without an elevator.! Thats just silly!!!

With Sheldon the show has always flirted with being a farce. Think luminous fish.

Silly jokes in a sitcom!?? I am shocked!

GotGbbgrootgasps.gif.682945bac0b2c8107c3063656cc86d80.gif

lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

Getting the engine upstairs wasn't a problem. He paid somebody to help. That anybody accepted was a joke.

11 hours ago, mirs1 said:

It was mentioned in S. 4 that Sheldon can bake and cook very well. Also he has always been a know-it-all, with a knowledge of things he was not supposed to be interested in, like football. He pretended to be a better engineer (or at least to know engineering better) than Howard well before the train episode in S. 10.  As a person with a degree in Mathematics, I assure you that it's not always easy to understand or to know all the symbols written on a board. I sure can't. We don't know exactly which kind of Maths was needed for that prototype, if that were just basic equations or something more advanced. It's not unlikely Leonard, and above all Howard, didn't know what Sheldon was doing.

I don't want to deny the way Sheldon has been depicted during the years, the basic fact about his character is that he thinks that he is better than everyone else and often the writers build on that, what I think is it was always the case, even in S. 1, the point is that now it is more notable because of the poor plots some other characters are given. 

11 hours ago, April said:

He's not an expert on anything, really. And the show is not framing him as such.

He is tinkering with engines but literally has not clue what he is doing. // He has always been the most sophisticated at maths out of all the guys. That's nothing new. I'm not sure when they struggled with basic equations as you claim. This season they've worked on the gyroscope and the project with Amy and on both he wasn't flawlessly breezing through everything. A whole episode what dedicated to him not being able to do the maths for the gyroscope at first, and even in his collaboration with Amy he made some dumb mistakes. // You are not a master baker just because you can make good croissants. It's easy if you follow a good recipe and he even had some help from Raj. And the same episode was full of stuff that he couldn't do. So again, clearly not an expert at everything. // And the sex thing? Jeez, in that time frame there was evidently foreplay and figuring things out involved as well as the "Why? Oh that's why!" titbit implied. He and Amy have fun in bed together and there's nothing wrong or unrealistic about that. It's all about partner compatibility and they are a perfect match in that regard. So what? Doesn't make him a universal sex expert* though and the show isn't treating him as such. (*the whole notion of this is ridiculous anyway)

I mean, I get it, Leonard is always the one down on his luck so seeing Sheldon get anything good is raising your hackles. But the hyperbole of calling Sheldon an expert in things that he clearly isn't good at, or he just managed to not fuck up for once, or things he is only good at because of specific circumstances is just a bit much for me. I can't take that seriously and again that only makes me think y'all are super impressed by the most basic things.

Right! The thing is Sheldon thinks he's an expert in everything but mostly really isn't. Well, maybe he is in football but any idiot can be an expert in sports if you have enough time to waste so that isn't really impressing me. Many other times the show directly puts him in his place - like the engine thing when Howard points out that Sheldon actually has no idea what the fuck he's even doing lol - or he gets his comeuppance for his arrogance in some other way - like losing the Physics Bowl because of his unwillingness to listen to his team mate. This has been part of the show for ages.

@April this is not about Leonard. Though they do step on him to elevate Sheldon, and I hate that, my view of their treatment of Sheldon wouldn't change if that didn't happen. @mirs1 thank you for your input. Still I think they gave the impression that Sheldon was the savior of the project. I think that Sheldon have always believed he is better than everybody else but in the earlier seasons it was clear that he is not and now it sometimes seems like the writers agree with him. Not all the times, not in any domain but some. The sex thing - @April I think what you say is correct but "The Birthday Syncronity" sent a different message. The engine - yes he didn't have a clue but since when Sheldon even gets near engines and gets all dirty, having fun all along, no ambivalence? And yes he has a lot of knowledge, that doesn't bother me. And according to Raj he baked better than him. So motor skills are his weakness but suddenly so many things apparently come easily to him.I'm having a hard time to believe that. "The big picture" to me is that he is just so great, gets better in so many things he is not great at and we should all fall in love with him. As I said this is how I feel, I know you guys disagree and expect many others to disagree as well.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, April said:

10000 likes.

This is so annoying. This joke is not only tired, unfunny and degrades the characters too much (it's a sitcom I expect characters to be degraded but I also expect some limits) but it's also just so inconsistent with the story and characters we have seen for years, to the point that they even add things to the story that are hard to believe. This is truly bad writing.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bfm said:

10000 likes.

This is so annoying. This joke is not only tired, unfunny and degrades the characters too much (it's a sitcom I expect characters to be degraded but I also expect some limits) but it's also just so inconsistent with the story and characters we have seen for years, to the point that they even add things to the story that are hard to believe. This is truly bad writing.

s_0156.gif.ca008c0bd3f42478f68a7a6e4bfab5ba.gif

8 hours ago, April said:

9 hours ago, mirs1 said:

Indeed. In fact Leonard has a big challenge and he's shown as explicitly failing to rise to it. Since he married Penny he seems to think he's home and dry and he doesn't need to make an effort with their relationship any more. IMO L (or anyone, actually, in that sich) needs to work just as hard to give Penny the marriage she deserves as he did to win her. (And let's not have any "well, what effort is she making?" - this is romance, not book-keeping). If the Lenny marriage continues like this (as seems more likely than the writers making an effort with it), poor Penny, who thought she was marrying the love of her life, will find she's settled after all.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Or being on a radio science programme.

Yep. Never saw the point in him wearing a suit, to appear on radio:) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bfm said:

@April this is not about Leonard. Though they do step on him to elevate Sheldon, and I hate that, my view of their treatment of Sheldon wouldn't change if that didn't happen. @mirs1 thank you for your input. Still I think they gave the impression that Sheldon was the savior of the project. I think that Sheldon have always believed he is better than everybody else but in the earlier seasons it was clear that he is not and now it sometimes seems like the writers agree with him. Not all the times, not in any domain but some. The sex thing - @April I think what you say is correct but "The Birthday Syncronity" sent a different message. The engine - yes he didn't have a clue but since when Sheldon even gets near engines and gets all dirty, having fun all along, no ambivalence? And yes he has a lot of knowledge, that doesn't bother me. And according to Raj he baked better than him. So motor skills are his weakness but suddenly so many things apparently come easily to him.I'm having a hard time to believe that. "The big picture" to me is that he is just so great, gets better in so many things he is not great at and we should all fall in love with him. As I said this is how I feel, I know you guys disagree and expect many others to disagree as well.

Sheldon is obsessed with trains and it is not too farfetched he would get dirty and play with engines. I mean, he jumped in an unhygienic kids' ball pit , when he was obsessed with graphene atoms in season 3 too. 

also, so what if he is better at baking than Raj ? can't he be ? he used to bake zucchini bread for Penny and Amy liked his sourdough bread too. So he can quickly learn baking croissants from Raj too. He is good at math and memorizing random facts . he is also good at cleaning and organizing.

but he fails with his motor skills, he struggles with reading emotions and cues(the entire finale was dedicated to this) and he also was unable to filter what info about his sex life he needs to share. he struggled with doing 2 projects and even got sick.  Sheldon couldn't figure out the math to their project at first either....infact many times he was an obstacle/conflict to their progress.

I feel the writers have done an ok job in showing both his strengths and weaknesses, just like all characters. 

I mean....are you opposed to the mere idea that Sheldon can be good at something ? unless Sheldon fails at everything in his life, you won't be happy ? EVERY character on this show is good at something or the other. they all have their skills /strengths that are highlighted from time to time. 

Edited by serena_1995
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, serena_1995 said:

Sheldon is obsessed with trains and it is not too farfetched he would get dirty and play with engines. I mean, he jumped in an unhygienic kids' ball pit , when he was obsessed with graphene atoms in season 3 too. 

Sheldon is obsessed with trains but he is also obsessed with safety, rules and protocols. So it is far fetched that he would be welding a train engine in his apartment with all the sparks and smoke (in the room where he eats) regardless of how much he loves trains. Of course it is so far out of the realm of plausibility that it is funny. This is a farce but in a sitcom that's okay. 

sheldonwelding.jpg.4d9da5cb91ba7e0229b1016e8228218c.jpg

10 hours ago, April said:

Silly jokes in a sitcom!?? I am shocked!

GotGbbgrootgasps.gif.682945bac0b2c8107c3063656cc86d80.gif

lol

LOL :sarcastichand:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Sheldon is obsessed with trains but he is also obsessed with safety, rules and protocols. So it is far fetched that he would be welding a train engine in his apartment with all the sparks and smoke (in the room where he eats) regardless of how much he loves trains. Of course it is so far out of the realm of plausibility that it is funny. This is a farce but in a sitcom that's okay.

I think in cases like this it's simply a matter of priorities. His love for trains and his excitement about the trip trumps whatever safety concerns he might have had under other circumstances. When Sheldon is obsessed with a thing he can easily go overboard with that - his usual rules be damned! That's very in character for him, too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, serena_1995 said:

also, so what if he is better at baking than Raj ? can't he be ? he used to bake zucchini bread for Penny and Amy liked his sourdough bread too. So he can quickly learn baking croissants from Raj too. He is good at math and memorizing random facts . he is also good at cleaning and organizing.

but he fails with his motor skills, he struggles with reading emotions and cues(the entire finale was dedicated to this) and he also was unable to filter what info about his sex life he needs to share. he struggled with doing 2 projects and even got sick.  Sheldon couldn't figure out the math to their project at first either....infact many times he was an obstacle/conflict to their progress.

I feel the writers have done an ok job in showing both his strengths and weaknesses, just like all characters. 

I mean....are you opposed to the mere idea that Sheldon can be good at something ? unless Sheldon fails at everything in his life, you won't be happy ? EVERY character on this show is good at something or the other. they all have their skills /strengths that are highlighted from time to time. 

Of course I am not opposed to Sheldon being good at things, why would I be? I even said in the quoted post that I have no problem with his vast knowledge, again why would I? It was always one of his strengths. It's about the balance and the big picture for me, the overarching message. He has weaknesses and they were and are shown but overall over the last few years, and especially this year, I feel like they are saying to me "Sheldon is just sooo awesome!!! His flaws should be pardoned and people should accommodate to him because he is too awesome and his unusual ways are sometimes better than others'! We should all learn almost everything from him and fall in love with him! All hail the mighty Sheldon!!!"

And about the specific details: Raj has been baking for so long. Sheldon only on occassions. And yet Sheldon turns out to be just so great at it, a natural. It is possible but again what bothers me is how it all adds up. The engine - yes you can say that he was just so enthusiastic that the hyegine didn't bother him as much but I would expect at least some ambivalence, like him teitching at some of the sounds and smoke and working in a bee keeper's suit and everything in the apartment covered. The way it was presented it was hard for me to believe, like it was hard for people to believe that he would enjoy being at the swimming pool with Ramona. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bfm said:

Of course I am not opposed to Sheldon being good at things, why would I be? I even said in the quoted post that I have no problem with his vast knowledge, again why would I? It was always one of his strengths. It's about the balance and the big picture for me, the overarching message. He has weaknesses and they were and are shown but overall over the last few years, and especially this year, I feel like they are saying to me "Sheldon is just sooo awesome!!! His flaws should be pardoned and people should accommodate to him because he is too awesome and his unusual ways are sometimes better than others'! We should all learn almost everything from him and fall in love with him! All hail the mighty Sheldon!!!"

And about the specific details: Raj has been baking for so long. Sheldon only on occassions. And yet Sheldon turns out to be just so great at it, a natural. It is possible but again what bothers me is how it all adds up. The engine - yes you can say that he was just so enthusiastic that the hyegine didn't bother him as much but I would expect at least some ambivalence, like him teitching at some of the sounds and smoke and working in a bee keeper's suit and everything in the apartment covered. The way it was presented it was hard for me to believe, like it was hard for people to believe that he would enjoy being at the swimming pool with Ramona. 

We all see things differently. To me, the big picture feels like Sheldon, as a character has his strengths and weaknesses. There are some things he is getting better at like his relationship , some things he is good at as he always was like math/quantum mech and solid research, somethings he is losing his edge at- like losing the video game to a teenager, and somethings he still screws up like reading social cues /emotions and disclosing too much info about his private life to strangers. 

Also, even if it is far fetched for him to go swimming with Ramona or not wear a suit while working with engines, I still fail to see how that makes him a god like person ?? Howard pointed it out to Sheldon how he was getting the basic terminology wrong at every turn about engines .  And Ramona  got him to only put his head under water. Neither indicates he is an expert at swimming or engines. At most it proves that the writers either dont care about realism or just want to show Sheldon trying out new things . 

my complaint in the show has been the opposite  of what you are claiming. I feel they put too much focus on Sheldon's flaws and his issues . The other characters' flaws are not critically examined as much as Sheldon,  and they probably never will be.

I mean, how many plots do you see where Leonard screws up, others point out how annoying/jerk he is , and he apologizes ? Or a plot about Leonard learning a life lesson of his own ? Very few compared to what Sheldon gets over the years. Which is why,  I believe the writers treat Sheldon as a flawed character , who needs to learn lessons or atleast is given an opportunity to learn or be better.  Which shows , that they don't see Sheldon as perfect at all. 

By your logic,  there is far more evidence that Leonard and Amy are more god like, more capable,  more perfect, less flawed and have lesser issues of their own, compared to Sheldon since they don't have as many plots about their own growth/issues/life lessons as Sheldon, which makes it seem like, by default,  the writers don't think they need as much growth/improvement as Sheldon does. 

Edited by serena_1995
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

We all see things differently. To me, the big picture feels like Sheldon, as a character has his strengths and weaknesses. There are some things he is getting better at like his relationship , some things he is good at as he always was like math/quantum mech and solid research, somethings he is losing his edge at- like losing the video game to a teenager, and somethings he still screws up like reading social cues /emotions and disclosing too much info about his private life to strangers. 

Also, even if it is far fetched for him to go swimming with Ramona or not wear a suit while working with engines, I still fail to see how that makes him a god like person ?? Howard pointed it out to Sheldon how he was getting the basic terminology wrong at every turn about engines .  And Ramona  got him to only put his head under water. Neither indicates he is an expert at swimming or engines. At most it proves that the writers either dont care about realism or just want to show Sheldon trying out new things . 

my complaint in the show has been the opposite  of what you are claiming. I feel they put too much focus on Sheldon's flaws and his issues . The other characters' flaws are not critically examined as much as Sheldon,  and they probably never will be.

I mean, how many plots do you see where Leonard screws up, others point out how annoying/jerk he is , and he apologizes ? Or a plot about Leonard learning a life lesson of his own ? Very few compared to what Sheldon gets over the years. Which is why,  I believe the writers treat Sheldon as a flawed character , who needs to learn lessons or atleast is given an opportunity to learn or be better.  Which shows , that they don't see Sheldon as perfect at all. 

By your logic,  there is far more evidence that Leonard and Amy are more god like, more capable,  more perfect, less flawed and have lesser issues of their own, compared to Sheldon since they don't have as many plots about their own growth/issues/life lessons as Sheldon, which makes it seem like, by default,  the writers don't think they need as much growth/improvement as Sheldon does. 

Totally agree with the sentiment here!

This goes hand in hand with what I said earlier: Characters thrive when you give them a challenge, and there's no denying that Sheldon is given tons of those which effectively allow him both to fail and learn something from it or put in the work and be rewarded.

I don't see that the writers are particularly unrealistic with their writing here but instead they see Sheldon as a character who is pushing his own boundaries and has been for years up to the point where he's now eager to change for the better and try out new things. He has explicitly stated that he's working on certain areas like his issues with intimacy so it's not surprising that eventually there's a payoff to that. Likewise we've seen him having less and less of a problem with people touching him or him touching people which is also why I found it bizarre that the gang freaked out about Ramona touching him and him not flinching. We haven't seen that kind of behaviour from him in years. So Sheldon going beyond his comfort zone and try to learn how to swim in a public pool? Totally believable to me, especially so shortly after an episode that was all about him trying new things and pushing his motor skills. These plots are backed up by years of character development and gradual changes.

I wish other characters would be given those challenges as well that allow them to rise above what they're now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, April said:

Totally agree with the sentiment here!

This goes hand in hand with what I said earlier: Characters thrive when you give them a challenge, and there's no denying that Sheldon is given tons of those which effectively allow him both to fail and learn something from it or put in the work and be rewarded.

I don't see that the writers are particularly unrealistic with their writing here but instead they see Sheldon as a character who is pushing his own boundaries and has been for years up to the point where he's now eager to change for the better and try out new things. He has explicitly stated that he's working on certain areas like his issues with intimacy so it's not surprising that eventually there's a payoff to that. Likewise we've seen him having less and less of a problem with people touching him or him touching people which is also why I found it bizarre that the gang freaked out about Ramona touching him and him not flinching. We haven't seen that kind of behaviour from him in years. So Sheldon going beyond his comfort zone and try to learn how to swim in a public pool? Totally believable to me, especially so shortly after an episode that was all about him trying new things and pushing his motor skills. These plots are backed up by years of character development and gradual changes.

I wish other characters would be given those challenges as well that allow them to rise above what they're now.

And we are back to the obvious: the unsatisfactory and one - sided development (description) of some characters, on - screen!

• Like 1