Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tensor

Character Screen Time

Recommended Posts

 

OK, I've got the season 9 screen time's finished. 

 You'll notice that I have the main cast members, then the three main ships, then the gang, guys, and girls.  Then finally, any other pairings.  One thing to note about the show times, the introduction runs 20 seconds.  The end credits run 30 seconds.  So, if you take 50 seconds off the show time, you'll get the actual running times for the episode (this includes any "Previously on The Big Bang Theory) that may show up.

For season nine (and probably season eight) I added Emily and Ramily 

There are some rounding errors in the total.  So it will be off by a second or ten,  but it all should be damn close (I'm talking within 20 seconds or so).   There were also times where I had to make a call as to when someone entered or exited.  And I won't rule out addition errors.   But, if anyone wants to correct any errors they think they've found, feel free to contact me via PM and we'll discuss it.  I still have all my paperwork.  

All the raw numbers are in the image of the spread sheet.   Here are some percentage numbers, (there were 463:18 minutes of total screen time for the year).  I've also added a few other things that interest me.

Here is a comparison between the two seasons.  The change indicates the change from season 9 to season 10.   

         Name                            % of total time.  

                                    Season 9                  Season 10          Change    

  • Sheldon                   53%                          56%                   +03
  • Leonard                   44%                          45%                    +01
  • Amy                         32%                          43%                    +11
  • Penny                      39%                           37%                   -02
  • Howard                    35%                           35%                    -
  • Raj                           29%                           32%                   +03
  • Bernadette               26%                           25%                   -01
  • Stuart                       08%                           09%                   +01

Amy's increase is rather easily explained as in season nine, she didn't appear as much, until her and Sheldon got back together.  

In terms of couples, for season nine, Shamy was on screen for 76:20, (16%).    Lenny for 88:12 (19%) and Howardette for 44:10 (9%).    Shamy increase by 13% from season 9 to season 10.  Lenny increased by 3% and Howardette increased by 5%

In season nine, Shamy was the only couple who were alone, on screen, for more than 50% of their screen time.  In this year, they were right around 60% of their time.   Compared to Lenny, who have only only 26% of their time alone.   For Howardette, their alone time was 37% of their screen time.  

From season 9 to season 10, their alone time, as compare to their total time, was up 14%  For Lenny, it was up 3%,  Howardette were up 2%

A couple of things in terms of the raw time numbers.  Shamy had more time, alone as a couple, on screen than the combined times of Lenny and Howardette (and remember, they were split up for 9 and most of the tenth.  Shamy had 12 minutes less of total time together, than Lenny.  But, they had almost twice the amount of time alone on screen, than Lenny.  

@serena_1995 I will start season two next.  However, after several weeks of not getting DVR ratings (Live + 3 and Live + 7, along with a lack of syndicated ratings, they have started back, so I have to get the last couple of weeks of ratings done.   So, I may not start on season two, until late this week, or early next week.  

 Feel free to ask me questions, if there are things you don't understand, or want to know.  

 

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2017 at 1:04 PM, Jonny said:

Interesting findings Tensor, you must have spent a lot of time on this.

OK, Johnny.  I tracked the time I took, tracking the time.  I can fast forward, but I have to write things down, so it takes be about 15-20 minutes to finish an episode.  The more good Lenny, the longer it takes.  :icon_wink:

After that, I have to add up the time for each episode.  That took me about an hour to an hour and a half.  Then, another couple of hours setting up the spreadsheet and entering the numbers.  So, it takes around 10-12 hours of actually working on it to finish a season.  

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I've finished the Season 2 screen time.  Usual disclaimers apply.  I don't guarantee I didn't make a mistake, but it should be pretty damn close.  

Several things about this season.  First, since Penny and Leonard were not a couple, or doing couple things, I've listed them just as any other couple.  I didn't use Total Time and Alone time, because all of their times were alone.  I've also gave Stephanie her own time, along with her alone time with Leonard.  The difference between Stephanie's time and Leonard and Stephanie's time was several short (and one 1:30) scene with Sheldon.  

First off,  the average time, per episode, in season 2 was about 20:50, with 9:10 of commercial time.  This compares to an average episode time of 19:20 for the last two seasons, with 11:40 of commercials.    This is 1:30 less show, with 2:30 more commercials.  Although, to be fair, one of the extra minutes of commercial is due to the time slot, the show is running in now, is 31 minutes, instead of the 30 minute slot it ran in, during season 2.  

 

Here is the percentage, for each of the characters, of total screen time.  :

  • Sheldon             70%
  • Leonard             69%
  • Howard              44%
  • Penny                43%
  • Raj                     42%
  • Stephanie            5%

 

Here is the comparison to the averages for seasons 9 and 10:

                                   Season 9/10              Season 2                  Decrease from season 2

  • Sheldon                           55%                         70%                                 -15%
  • Leonard                           45%                         69%                                 -24%
  • Howard                            35%                         44%                                   -9%
  • Penny                              38%                         43%                                   -5%
  • Raj                                   31%                         42%                                  -11%

 

As expected, these five were on screen much more than they were in season 9 and 10.   Leonard suffered the most, with Sheldon second (although he is still above 50%).  The least was Penny.   

As for couples, Sheldon and Penny lead the couples with 58 minutes (12%).   Second was Leonard and Penny with 36 minutes (7.5%).  Leonard and Sheldon had 33 minutes (6.8%) and the only other couple above five minutes, was Leonard and Stephenie with just under 20 minutes (4%).   

A couple of interesting points.  Sheldon and Penny had much more time than Leonard and Penny did.   So it's tough to justify the claim that early seasons were more about Leonard and Penny.   It's also tough to justify the claim that Amy has been taking time away from Penny.  The large decrease in both Sheldon and Leonard's time on screen looks to be where Amy's time (and Bernadette's) comes from.  Also, while Leonard and Penny weren't even a couple in season 2, they had about 12 more minutes alone with each other, than they did during the last two seasons.  

As usual, if you see something that doesn't look right, or if you have questions, just ask.

Tensor

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks @Tensor . that was very informative.  I don't always understand why people claim Lenny were the ,main focus in the early seasons, when it looks like Sheldon still dominated the screen time and Shenny had more time than Lenny. Although to be fair , this is only season 2.  It is possible season 3 had more Lenny time.  And wow....Lenny had 12 min more alone time than s10, back when they weren't even a couple and the entire gang used to have more screen time back then !!!!  I suppose, that is expected as this show now feels like a tale of 3 couples(instead of 7 individuals)  and group scenes quantity may not be as high. 

I suppose you could say, Amy's screen time has increased at the expense of Sheldon and Leonard, not Penny. Maybe tbbt hasn't become the Sheldon Show. It has become the Shamy Show ...and looks like Leonard suffered a lot, because of it. 

Edited by serena_1995

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

thanks @Tensor . that was very informative.  I don't always understand why people claim Lenny were the ,main focus in the early seasons, when it looks like Sheldon still dominated the screen time and Shenny had more time than Lenny. Although to be fair , this is only season 2.  It is possible season 3 had more Lenny time.  And wow....Lenny had 12 min more alone time than s10, back when they weren't even a couple and the entire gang used to have more screen time back then !!!!  I suppose, that is expected as this show now feels like a tale of 3 couples(instead of 7 individuals)  and group scenes quantity may not be as high. 

I suppose you could say, Amy's screen time has increased at the expense of Sheldon and Leonard, not Penny. Maybe tbbt hasn't become the Sheldon Show. It has become the Shamy Show ...and looks like Leonard suffered a lot, because of it. 

One thing I found, was in much of the season, there was a three character/two character split (or two and two, with one bouncing between each pair), in the episodes.  This made for a lot of individual times, but not so much for the guys or the cast.   Or, there were cast or guys, with a minor character, thus the cast or guys not showing up as an entity.  One thing that surprised me, was the relatively little Sheldon/Leonard time.  They were rarely alone, usually with one of the other characters or they were split.  

As for Amy and Bernadette's time, they averaged 75 minutes together for season 9/10.  If you take this off of Leonard's time, it brings him down to right around 50%, close to what he had in season 9/10 (45%).  Now, this isn't to imply that it's all Amy and Bernadette that has taken time from Leonard.  You have Sheldon's time coming down also, so it's a bit more complicated, but it's an interesting first approximation.

Started on season three tonight.  After the second episode, I consider Lenard and Penny a couple, so if they are in the scene, their time counts as a couple (total time), through "Wheaton Recurrence".  In the first two, there's only like about 20 seconds where they are in the scene together but not alone, but I don't think they are quite a couple yet in the first two.  

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tensor said:

Ok, I've finished the Season 2 screen time.  Usual disclaimers apply.  I don't guarantee I didn't make a mistake, but it should be pretty damn close.  

Several things about this season.  First, since Penny and Leonard were not a couple, or doing couple things, I've listed them just as any other couple.  I didn't use Total Time and Alone time, because all of their times were alone.  I've also gave Stephanie her own time, along with her alone time with Leonard.  The difference between Stephanie's time and Leonard and Stephanie's time was several short (and one 1:30) scene with Sheldon.  

First off,  the average time, per episode, in season 2 was about 20:50, with 9:10 of commercial time.  This compares to an average episode time of 19:20 for the last two seasons, with 11:40 of commercials.    This is 1:30 less show, with 2:30 more commercials.  Although, to be fair, one of the extra minutes of commercial is due to the time slot, the show is running in now, is 31 minutes, instead of the 30 minute slot it ran in, during season 2.  

 

Here is the percentage, for each of the characters, of total screen time.  :

  • Sheldon             70%
  • Leonard             69%
  • Howard              44%
  • Penny                43%
  • Raj                     42%
  • Stephanie            5%

 

Here is the comparison to the averages for seasons 9 and 10:

                                   Season 9/10              Season 2                  Decrease from season 2

  • Sheldon                           55%                         70%                                 -15%
  • Leonard                           45%                         69%                                 -24%
  • Howard                            35%                         44%                                   -9%
  • Penny                              38%                         43%                                   -5%
  • Raj                                   31%                         42%                                  -11%

 

As expected, these five were on screen much more than they were in season 9 and 10.   Leonard suffered the most, with Sheldon second (although he is still above 50%).  The least was Penny.   

As for couples, Sheldon and Penny lead the couples with 58 minutes (12%).   Second was Leonard and Penny with 36 minutes (7.5%).  Leonard and Sheldon had 33 minutes (6.8%) and the only other couple above five minutes, was Leonard and Stephenie with just under 20 minutes (4%).   

A couple of interesting points.  Sheldon and Penny had much more time than Leonard and Penny did.   So it's tough to justify the claim that early seasons were more about Leonard and Penny.   It's also tough to justify the claim that Amy has been taking time away from Penny.  The large decrease in both Sheldon and Leonard's time on screen looks to be where Amy's time (and Bernadette's) comes from.  Also, while Leonard and Penny weren't even a couple in season 2, they had about 12 more minutes alone with each other, than they did during the last two seasons.  

As usual, if you see something that doesn't look right, or if you have questions, just ask.

Tensor

I wonder if Penny's screen time in other seasons were greater. In season 2 I felt like most of the time Penny was still not treated as a full character. We didn't have many episodes showing her thoughts and feelings. So I wonder if she had more screen time in later seasons, hence the feeling her screen time has decreased in recent years. It could also be just my impression that she had a more prominent spot in later seasons because the scenes she had made a stronger impression on me.

About Lenny - I think the claim is more that these seasons were more about them than recent seasons and the decrease in their time together supports that. It's not that there weren't other things like the Shledon-Penny budding friendship the writers found to be a treasure then but there was more about Lenny and they were showing interest in each other in many scenes. Now they are (mostly) either background players or fighting, I think their scenes are not so much about their love as they used to be and they also have less screen time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bfm said:

I wonder if Penny's screen time in other seasons were greater. In season 2 I felt like most of the time Penny was still not treated as a full character. We didn't have many episodes showing her thoughts and feelings. So I wonder if she had more screen time in later seasons, hence the feeling her screen time has decreased in recent years. It could also be just my impression that she had a more prominent spot in later seasons because the scenes she had made a stronger impression on me.

I think we'll get some feeling for that during season three, which I'm working on now.  Through the first six episodes, Penny's get pretty much the same time as she's had in seasons 2, 9 and 10.  So it hasn't started changing yet.  

 

Quote

About Lenny - I think the claim is more that these seasons were more about them than recent seasons and the decrease in their time together supports that.

No, the claim was that the early seasons were all about Leonard and Penny, because they were the only couple.  This was not true in season two, Sheldon and Penny were just under twice the time of Leonard and Penny.  

Currently in season six, Leonard and Penny have 27 total minutes, while Sheldon and Penny have 5 minutes.   But, remember, with Sheldon and Penny, it's only where they are alone, on screen, when they get time.    If you count only alone time, Leonard and Penny have six minutes, only one more minute than Sheldon and Penny.

Coming up in the next three episodes I'll be doing are "Adhesive Duck" and "Gorilla Experiment".  Except for "Large Hadron" there are not too many Leonard and Penny episodes coming up, before a couple more with Sheldon and Penny time ("Excelsior Acquisition" and "Pants Alternative" before they break up.  I'm willing to bet that Leonard and Penny will have more total time than Sheldon and Penny, but I have a feeling Sheldon and Penny will have more alone time.  I should know something during the weekend.      

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tensor said:

I think we'll get some feeling for that during season three, which I'm working on now.  Through the first six episodes, Penny's get pretty much the same time as she's had in seasons 2, 9 and 10.  So it hasn't started changing yet.  

 

No, the claim was that the early seasons were all about Leonard and Penny, because they were the only couple.  This was not true in season two, Sheldon and Penny were just under twice the time of Leonard and Penny.  

Currently in season six, Leonard and Penny have 27 total minutes, while Sheldon and Penny have 5 minutes.   But, remember, with Sheldon and Penny, it's only where they are alone, on screen, when they get time.    If you count only alone time, Leonard and Penny have six minutes, only one more minute than Sheldon and Penny.

Coming up in the next three episodes I'll be doing are "Adhesive Duck" and "Gorilla Experiment".  Except for "Large Hadron" there are not too many Leonard and Penny episodes coming up, before a couple more with Sheldon and Penny time ("Excelsior Acquisition" and "Pants Alternative" before they break up.  I'm willing to bet that Leonard and Penny will have more total time than Sheldon and Penny, but I have a feeling Sheldon and Penny will have more alone time.  I should know something during the weekend.      

If your estimate of the season 3 time is correct, that tells me that even in season 3 we are seeing the show gravitating to make Sheldon the center of the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tensor said:

I think we'll get some feeling for that during season three, which I'm working on now.  Through the first six episodes, Penny's get pretty much the same time as she's had in seasons 2, 9 and 10.  So it hasn't started changing yet.  

 

No, the claim was that the early seasons were all about Leonard and Penny, because they were the only couple.  This was not true in season two, Sheldon and Penny were just under twice the time of Leonard and Penny.  

Currently in season six, Leonard and Penny have 27 total minutes, while Sheldon and Penny have 5 minutes.   But, remember, with Sheldon and Penny, it's only where they are alone, on screen, when they get time.    If you count only alone time, Leonard and Penny have six minutes, only one more minute than Sheldon and Penny.

Coming up in the next three episodes I'll be doing are "Adhesive Duck" and "Gorilla Experiment".  Except for "Large Hadron" there are not too many Leonard and Penny episodes coming up, before a couple more with Sheldon and Penny time ("Excelsior Acquisition" and "Pants Alternative" before they break up.  I'm willing to bet that Leonard and Penny will have more total time than Sheldon and Penny, but I have a feeling Sheldon and Penny will have more alone time.  I should know something during the weekend.      

I agree that this is not true. I do think they were a major plotline but not the only thing.

49 minutes ago, SRAM said:

If your estimate of the season 3 time is correct, that tells me that even in season 3 we are seeing the show gravitating to make Sheldon the center of the show.

I think the trend of making it more and more about Sheldon was there from a very early time but it got worse in seasons 8-10. There is also the content that fills the screen time that IMO makes it more The Sheldon Show but it is hard to measure that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the Season three numbers, and, as usual, disclaimers apply.  I don't guarantee I didn't make a mistake, but it should be pretty damn close.  

Several things about this season.  I've included Bernadette, and Howard and Bernadette, as they were a couple, much like Leonard and Stephanie in season 2.  I listed Amy under the Minor Characters for the season.  Both Bernadette and Amy, and Howardette and Shamy will be listed for season four.    

The average show time, per episode, in season 3 was close enough to season 2, to call them the same.  That would be 20:50, with 9:10 of commercial time.  For seasons 9 and 10 the average episode time was 19:20, with 11:40 of commercials.   As before, this is 1:30 less show, with 2:30 more commercials.  But, remember, seasons 2 and 3 ran in 30 a thirty minute slot, as compared to the 31 minute slot for seasons  9 and 10.  So one of those commercial minutes was due to the extra minute of time.

Here is the percentage, for each of the characters, of total screen time for Season 3.  There's a couple of surprises here:

  • Sheldon             70%
  • Leonard             64%
  • Raj                     46%
  • Howard              45%
  • Penny                 42%
  • Bernadette           5%

 

First, Raj had the third most screen time, ahead of both Howard and Penny.   Second, Penny had the least screen time during season.   Not surprisingly, Sheldon had the same percentage as season 2, but Leonard's time dropped by 5%, from season 2.   

Bernadette's time was the same, percentage wise (it was around two minutes more) than Stephanie's time in season 2.  

 

Here is the comparison to the averages for seasons 9 and 10:

                                  Sea 3           Sea 2              Sea 9/10            Ch from   Sea 2     9-10 (%)

  • Sheldon            70%                70%                55%                                   0         -15
  • Leonard            64%                69%                45%                                 -5         -19
  • Howard             45%                44%                35%                                 +1         -10
  • Penny                42%               43%                38%                                  -1           -4
  • Raj                     46%               42%                31%                                   +4         -15

 

Interestingly, although Penny was last, in screen time, for season three, she only dropped 1%.  Howard was up 1%, and he had more screen time the previous year.  Raj's time jumped by four percent.   But, to be clear, the times for Penny, Raj, and Howard are less than a minute per episode.  

Again, as expected, these five were on screen much more than they were in season 9 and 10.   Leonard dropped five percent from season two, although both her and Sheldon were on screen over 60% of the time.   

As for couples, Leonard and Penny were on screen for the most time with 73 minutes (15%).   However, the highest time for couples alone on screen were Sheldon and Penny with 44 minutes (9%).   Second was Leonard and Sheldon with 32 minutes (6.7%).  Leonard and Penny were in third as far as alone time with  25 minutes (5%)    

Again, Sheldon and Penny had more alone time than Leonard and Penny did.   Even with Leonard and Penny being a couple for the season, Leonard and Penny had fewer time alone, by 11 minutes that they did the season before, when they weren't together as a couple.  

Real life is going to intrude, and I've got a couple of things I have to get to (going to see my daughters current show this weekend, working on some house things next week, and then going on a short trip for our 40th Anniversary).   So my working on this will be hit and miss over the next couple of weeks, and I may not have the next season (four) until the first week of July.    

Also, I'll be putting up a total post (It's already there, just doesn't have anything in it yet), which will have the totals for each season (and an average per episode as the first three seasons were not 24 episodes long), so seasons can be more easily compared.   

As usual, if you see something that doesn't look right, or if you have questions, just ask.

Tensor

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to finishing season three (see post above) here is the link to the total times post.  As I pointed out in that post, the pairings at the bottom are listed alphabetically, by the first name, then by the second name in the pairing.  

A couple of surprises for me.  Leonard and Penny have four seasons of alone time, a total of 94 episodes.   This averages out to a time of 1:08 (min:sec), per episode, with just Leonard and Penny on screen.   Sheldon and Amy have two seasons (48 episodes) of alone time.  But, averaged over all 94 episodes I've timed, that comes out to an average of 1:10 of alone screen time per episode.  Yep, even with missing 46 episodes, Sheldon and Amy have more average screen time.

 As a matter of fact, Penny and Sheldon have a higher average screen time alone, on screen (1:15) than either Lenny or Shamy.  Now, I expect that to change as we get more seasons added to the average.     

In any case, have fun with those numbers.   

Tensor

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tensor ,  very well done and impressive!
But sometimes it's required to enjoy the well-deserved break.

n_047.gif.08d641a84df00523b5fea5aea5e18444.gif

Still have fun.  :shy:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tensor said:

Here are the Season three numbers, and, as usual, disclaimers apply.  I don't guarantee I didn't make a mistake, but it should be pretty damn close.  

Several things about this season.  I've included Bernadette, and Howard and Bernadette, as they were a couple, much like Leonard and Stephanie in season 2.  I listed Amy under the Minor Characters for the season.  Both Bernadette and Amy, and Howardette and Shamy will be listed for season four.    

The average show time, per episode, in season 3 was close enough to season 2, to call them the same.  That would be 20:50, with 9:10 of commercial time.  For seasons 9 and 10 the average episode time was 19:20, with 11:40 of commercials.   As before, this is 1:30 less show, with 2:30 more commercials.  But, remember, seasons 2 and 3 ran in 30 a thirty minute slot, as compared to the 31 minute slot for seasons  9 and 10.  So one of those commercial minutes was due to the extra minute of time.

Here is the percentage, for each of the characters, of total screen time for Season 3.  There's a couple of surprises here:

  • Sheldon             70%
  • Leonard             64%
  • Raj                     46%
  • Howard              45%
  • Penny                 42%
  • Bernadette           5%

 

First, Raj had the third most screen time, ahead of both Howard and Penny.   Second, Penny had the least screen time during season.   Not surprisingly, Sheldon had the same percentage as season 2, but Leonard's time dropped by 5%, from season 2.   

Bernadette's time was the same, percentage wise (it was around two minutes more) than Stephanie's time in season 2.  

 

Here is the comparison to the averages for seasons 9 and 10:

                                  Sea 3           Sea 2              Sea 9/10            Ch from   Sea 2     9-10 (%)

  • Sheldon            70%                70%                55%                                   0         -15
  • Leonard            64%                69%                45%                                 +5         -19
  • Howard             45%                44%                35%                                 +1         -10
  • Penny                42%               43%                38%                                  -1           -4
  • Raj                     46%               42%                31%                                   +4         -15

 

Interestingly, although Penny was last, in screen time, for season three, she only dropped 1%.  Howard was up 1%, and he had more screen time the previous year.  Raj's time jumped by four percent.   But, to be clear, the times for Penny, Raj, and Howard are less than a minute per episode.  

Again, as expected, these five were on screen much more than they were in season 9 and 10.   Leonard dropped five percent from season two, although both her and Sheldon were on screen over 60% of the time.   

As for couples, Leonard and Penny were on screen for the most time with 73 minutes (15%).   However, the highest time for couples alone on screen were Sheldon and Penny with 44 minutes (9%).   Second was Leonard and Sheldon with 32 minutes (6.7%).  Leonard and Penny were in third as far as alone time with  25 minutes (5%) and the only other couple above five minutes, was Leonard and Stephenie with just under 20 minutes (4%).   

Again, Sheldon and Penny had more alone time than Leonard and Penny did.   Even with Leonard and Penny being a couple for the season, Leonard and Penny had fewer time alone, by 11 minutes that they did the season before, when they weren't together as a couple.  

Real life is going to intrude, and I've got a couple of things I have to get to (going to see my daughters current show this weekend, working on some house things next week, and then going on a short trip for our 40th Anniversary).   So my working on this will be hit and miss over the next couple of weeks, and I may not have the next season (four) until the first week of July.    

Also, I'll be putting up a total post (It's already there, just doesn't have anything in it yet), which will have the totals for each season (and an average per episode as the first three seasons were not 24 episodes long), so seasons can be more easily compared.   

As usual, if you see something that doesn't look right, or if you have questions, just ask.

Tensor

This is very interesting! 

Raj - I think the difference is due to his times being paired with others, especially Sheldon with whom he had a LOT more time. I guess it's mostly due to that episode with the party and the girls? He also had more time with Howard compared to season 2.

Sheldon-Penny - I can see why they used to have a lot of alone time. This combination works better when they're alone because then they have to deal with each other without the mediation of others, and in these seasons they didn't know each other as well as they do now so it brought a lot of humour.

Lenny - I was very surprised that they got so much less alona time than in season 2. The difference in their alone time is also quite small compared to seasons 9-10 (2-3 minutes). However we cannot forget content, I think the content now affects us, they spent a lot of alone time fighting for nothing in season 10, this was different than their alone time in season 3. There is also total time, they can be affectionate when with others. I think there was also more affection seen in season 3 than in 9-10 and there were also less people in group scenes so each could get more focus. Thesr are just hypotheses of course. I wonder how season 3 compares to 6 regarding Lenny.

@Tensor what an amazing job you're doing! And happy anniversary!

Edited by bfm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, veejay said:

@Tensor ,  very well done and impressive!
But sometimes it's required to enjoy the well-deserved break.

n_047.gif.08d641a84df00523b5fea5aea5e18444.gif

Still have fun.  :shy:

 

9 hours ago, bfm said:

This is very interesting! @Tensor what an amazing job you're doing! And happy anniversary!

Thanks. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bfm said:

This is very interesting! 

Raj - I think the difference is due to his times being paired with others, especially Sheldon with whom he had a LOT more time. I guess it's mostly due to that episode with the party and the girls? He also had more time with Howard compared to season 2.

Sheldon-Penny - I can see why they used to have a lot of alone time. This combination works better when they're alone because then they have to deal with each other without the mediation of others, and in these seasons they didn't know each other as well as they do now so it brought a lot of humour.

I think for both of this there's the simple fact that the writers can easily team up Sheldon with anyone for a fun story. Whoever gets to be the lucky one to team up with him will end up with a push in screen time. I don't even want to imagine how low Penny's screen time would be if the writers didn't find her rapport with Sheldon good for a laugh.

Quote

Lenny - I was very surprised that they got so much less alona time than in season 2. The difference in their alone time is also quite small compared to seasons 9-10 (2-3 minutes). However we cannot forget content, I think the content now affects us, they spent a lot of alone time fighting for nothing in season 10, this was different than their alone time in season 3. There is also total time, they can be affectionate when with others. I think there was also more affection seen in season 3 than in 9-10 and there were also less people in group scenes so each could get more focus. Thesr are just hypotheses of course. I wonder how season 3 compares to 6 regarding Lenny.

Looking through the episode list for S3 things weren't exactly roses and sunshine there either. Quite a few fights and episodes that highlighted how they're not a good match in various aspects. And in between that a whole lot of nothing because of how the episodes were structured (group episodes, Penny hanging out more with Sheldon than anyone etc.). As Tensor already noted: Their alone time actually went down by about 11 minutes which is almost a third less of what they had the season before when they weren't even dating! So seems to me that the writers always had a hard time writing them as a functional couple which was a bit forgiveable back then since S3 was their first attempt at this but... well... They still use the same plot points and punchlines 7-8 years later. ugh

I give you though that there were certainly more good little nuggets back then, like yes, the fight about the guitar guy was as bad as those they have these days but in the end you see them all happily snuggled up in bed together which you don't get today anymore.

Curious about the other seasons as well!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, April said:

Looking through the episode list for S3 things weren't exactly roses and sunshine there either. Quite a few fights and episodes that highlighted how they're not a good match in various aspects. And in between that a whole lot of nothing because of how the episodes were structured (group episodes, Penny hanging out more with Sheldon than anyone etc.). As Tensor already noted: Their alone time actually went down by about 11 minutes which is almost a third less of what they had the season before when they weren't even dating! So seems to me that the writers always had a hard time writing them as a functional couple which was a bit forgiveable back then since S3 was their first attempt at this but... well... They still use the same plot points and punchlines 7-8 years later. ugh

I give you though that there were certainly more good little nuggets back then, like yes, the fight about the guitar guy was as bad as those they have these days but in the end you see them all happily snuggled up in bed together which you don't get today anymore.

Curious about the other seasons as well!!

That's the thing: they had good stuff there (the good stuff we had in season 10 weren't many and our expectations also got lower so not everything we count as good stuff is that good), they also showed more physical affection. Their fights there were also justifiable, they were both younger, Penny was really young, and they got to know each other. And yet they do similar things in season 10 when they are much older, more mature, know each other much better and have handled many things together, communicating. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bfm said:

That's the thing: they had good stuff there (the good stuff we had in season 10 weren't many and our expectations also got lower so not everything we count as good stuff is that good), they also showed more physical affection. Their fights there were also justifiable, they were both younger, Penny was really young, and they got to know each other. And yet they do similar things in season 10 when they are much older, more mature, know each other much better and have handled many things together, communicating. 

Yep, exactly my point. It's like somehow the writers are stuck in this mindset of their immature relationship dynamic from back in the day and also lost quite a bit that made the couple appealing despite those flaws. The other couples had their issues as well but eventually they were allowed to grow up and move forward. Lenny haven't been granted that development yet, even after S10. ugh

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, April said:

Yep, exactly my point. It's like somehow the writers are stuck in this mindset of their immature relationship dynamic from back in the day and also lost quite a bit that made the couple appealing despite those flaws. The other couples had their issues as well but eventually they were allowed to grow up and move forward. Lenny haven't been granted that development yet, even after S10. ugh

As I see it they had significant progression, especially in season 6, but regressed in season 10. Terribly annoying. 

Edited by bfm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, bfm said:

As I see it they had significant progression, especially in season 6, but regressed in season 10. Terribly annoying. 

They writers had them make progress in season seven also.   Since the end of season seven, when they got engaged, the writers have regressed them.    Even what looks like progress (Penny's new Job, and finally getting away from Sheldon are negatives.  Penny hates her job, and the writers show the couple can't live by themselves or fight if they do.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the Season four numbers, usual disclaimers apply.  I don't guarantee I didn't make a mistake, but it should be pretty damn close.  

Several things about this season.  Amy, was added this year, along with Shamy.  Not all the Shamy scenes were listed under Shamy time (of course, if they were all alone, on screen, then they got Shamy time, even if not acting couplely.  I tracked Priya's time, along with the Leniya (it's what I came up with) time, both together and alone, as they were a couple (except for the first episode).  

The average show time, per episode, in season 4, was close again close enough to season 2 and 3, to call them the same.  That would be 20:50, with 9:10 of commercial time.  For seasons 9 and 10 the average episode time was 19:20, with 11:40 of commercials.   As before, this is 1:30 less show, with 2:30 more commercials.  But, remember, seasons 2 and 3 ran in 30 a thirty minute slot, as compared to the 31 minute slot for seasons  9 and 10.  So one of those commercial minutes was due to the extra minute of time.

Here is the percentage, for each of the characters, of total screen time for Season 3.  There's a couple of surprises here:

  • Sheldon             64%   
  • Leonard             57%   
  • Howard              45%    
  • Raj                     41%   
  • Penny                32%   
  • Amy                   19%
  • Bernadette         14%     
  • Priya                   11%

 

Except for Howard and Bernadette, everyone screen time dropped from the previous year.   This, of course, does not include Amy and Priya, who are on the list for the first time.  Sheldon and Leonard both dropped by 6-7%.   Raj's dropped by 5%.

It appears Penny dropped by quite a bit this year (10%), however, remember she missed two complete episodes, then the next two she was limited.  If you give her the average screen time, per episode, from the rest of the year, Her time dropped only 7%, on par with Sheldon and Leonard.

Howard stayed pretty much the same, and Bernadette climbed by almost 10%, both then she was limited in season 3.  

 

 

Here is the comparison to the averages for seasons 2/3 and  9 /10:

                                                                                                                       Change from (in %)

                                       Sea 4           Sea 2/3              Sea 9/10               Sea   2/3            Sea  9-10 

  • Sheldon                  64%                70%                55%                             -6                    +9
  • Leonard                  57%                66%                45%                             -9                   +12
  • Howard                   45%                44%                35%                            +1                   +10
  • Penny*            32(35*)%                43%                38%                          -11(-8*)            -6(-3*)
  • Raj                          41%                44%                31%                            -3                     +10
  • Amy                         19%                                       38%                             ---                   -19
  • Bernadette              14%                  5%                26%                             +9                   -12    

 

I expected most of the times to fall between season two/three and seasons 9/10.  Having less time than season 2/3 and more time than season 9/10.    However, in the majority of cases, that isn't what happened.    Sheldon, Leonard and Raj all fit, but the women and Howard didn't.   Bernadette has less time than season 9/10, but more than season 2/3.  But, like Amy, they fit expectations as season four was her first season as main cast, and they increased their screen time over the years.  So having more in season 9/10 makes sense.  

Penny was the interesting one.  She had less time than both season 2/3 and 9/10.  Part of that was the fact that she was out for two episodes and limited for another.  But even if you add in her average time for the rest of the seasons, she is still below both season 2/3 and season 9/10 (the added in time for Penny is indicated by "(xx*)"  The difference though, is probably the time Priya got in season four.  If you add Priya and Penny's time, she would have 40% for season four, which would fit the pattern.  She would have 3% less screen time from season 2/3, but would have 2% more screen time than in seasons 9/10.   

As for couples, this year was pretty scrambled.  The most time together was between Leonard and Priya, with 44 minutes  (9%) total together.  In second, was Howardette, with 37 minutes (7.3%).  Shamy wasn't too far behind with 35 minutes (6.9%).  Lenny only had a total of 12 minutes (2.3%)

One thing though, Leonard and Penny only got Lenny time, this season, when they were alone on screen.  So how did they do compared to the other couples alone time?  Well, in alone time, Shamy was first, with just over twenty minutes at 20:19.  In second was Lenny, with their 11:55, and Howardette was third with 11:40.  Leonard and Priya, who had the most total time, came in last in alone time with 9:24. 

As for other pairings, (and remember, the following is only counted when the pairing is alone, on screen.  So comparison to the romantic couples are for their alone time).  

Sheldon and Leonard led, with 38 minutes.  Sheldon and Penny were in second with 30 minutes.  As a mater of fact, Sheldon and Penny had the most male-female alone time for the season.  After those two couples, the time drops way off, down to seven minutes for Raj/Sheldon.   

I find it funny (and I may be the only one) that Penny and Priya finished in the middle of the pairing pack, with 2:50.  That may be because we don't think of Penny and Priya being alone on screen.  But the walk up the stairs in "Agreement" and the search for coffee in "Engagement" ran over a minute each, giving them their time.  

Real life is still intruding.  Some of the things I was supposed to do this week, were delayed by rain.  I have to catch up on those chores.  I'm also got a fan fic I'm editing and the Anniversary trip.    

The new total post has been updated, so the averages will be accurate for the five seasons I have up now.   My plan is to do season 8 next.   This will let me break down the show's run into thirds.   I now have the first third, seasons 2-4 done, by getting season 8 done, I have the final third, season 8-10.  Then I'll be able to compare season 5-7, which I'll get to after doing season 8.  After those are done, I'll do season one, last.  

As usual, have fun poking around the numbers, and if you see something that doesn't look right, or if you have questions, just ask.

Tensor

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think one of the more prominent trends right now seems to be the increaseing gap between Sheldon's and Leonard's times. They started about equal, then the gap was created and it was larger in seasons 9-10 than in 3-4. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fascinating study again kudos Tensor for putting the effort in to do this!

Most surprising and standout thing to me? Probably Penny's screentime, all the talk of the big three and yet her screen time is like pretty much the same as Howard and Raj's. I would expected that gap to be wider considering Sheldon/Leonard/Penny live near each other so even the small interactions add up.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.