Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 11

2 minutes ago, Carey said:

I loved the counsel of Sheldons, who would have liked to see the seductive, smooth jazz,  tux wearing, slick backed hair Sheldon join the counsel?

I was thinking that they should have had "lovey-dovey Sheldon" but "cosmic Casanova Sheldon" would be much welcomed, too, if it were up to me!  LOL

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Carey said:

As I said I really enjoyed 11x3.   Now I'll add my thoughts.

They  have said it will be a June wedding by a cliff and, most likely, means anything but a June wedding by a cliff. LOL

The I love you's and the hug, super sweet and why I got sucked into the Shamy. I do love the way they talk things out.

I said the cliff was going to be a joke. I just thought it would be from Amy's point of view while Sheldon was in groomzilla mode.

I loved the counsel of Sheldons, who would have liked to see the seductive, smooth jazz,  tux wearing, slick backed hair Sheldon join the counsel?

I lol a lot during this episode.

I just ignored the Stuart/Raj stuff. The best part about the story was Howard and Bernie's opening and Bernie when they showed up at the bar.

YES PLEASE!!!

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, BobtheBlob said:

I realise that, and I understand the implication of keeping her name, but it didn't seem to effect Leonards parents (that we know off) and most of his family are all Dr. Hofstadter. It might be different if Amy and Sheldon were working in different places as well.

Those databases I mentioned are a recent thing, they didn't exist when Beverly started working. Plus, maybe she was already married and already used her husband's last name, it was a completely different social context back then for women. 

Anyway, the problem is not that there would be two Dr. Coopers (as there are 5 Dr. Hofstadter), I'm pretty sure there are already a huge number of Dr. Coopers around. The problem is that, if Amy changes name,  for the databases it's like the article that she writes after that are written by a different person, they are not automatically ascribed to her. It's not impossible to fix the problem, but it's a huge nuisance.

I don't want to insist, maybe the writers will go there just for giggles, it's not like they depict Academia in a very accurate way,  but I assure you it's not realistic at all. No female scientist would do that nowadays.

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 2
  • Koala Face 1

2 minutes ago, Kathy2611 said:

More than likely because she got married before she was known for anything significant in her work.  

Also, it was a different time. I think back in the days women had more pressure on them to take the husband's name.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, April said:

I was thinking that they should have had "lovey-dovey Sheldon" but "cosmic Casanova Sheldon" would be much welcomed, too, if it were up to me!  LOL

Sheldon is "lovey-dovey", "seductive" and "Casanova" in all his personalities, that's canon now, LOL!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • It's a Tiara 2

Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler-Cooper

Dr. Amy Farrah Cooper

Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler

I feel a poll coming on.  Lol 

Professional woman today tend to keep their maiden name, although most of the doctors I work with have hyphenated their name when they married. I have to disclose that I am in Texas which tends to be a little old fashioned on these sort of things.

• Like 4
  • Koala Face 1

1 minute ago, Carey said:

Dr. Amy Farrah Cooper

Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler

Professional woman today tend to keep their maiden name, although most of the doctors I work with have hyphenated their name when they married. I have to disclose that I am in Texas which tends to be a little old fashioned on these sort of things.

Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler gets my vote! :D

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

I think Amy would add his name, Fowler Cooper. I just think it goes with the character, she always had a thing for "traditional" romantic gestures so I think she would want to take her man's name (personally though I find last name conventions problematic).

• Like 4
  • Koala Face 1

35 minutes ago, Carey said:

Dr. Amy Farrah Cooper

Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler

Always in for a poll, LOL! Amy Farrah Fowler for me!

But, full disclosure, I live in a Country where by law women keep their maiden name after their marriage (in the sense the can't use their husband's last name in any legal business), so the whole question doesn't make much sense to my culture. 

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 1
  • Koala Face 1

5 hours ago, mirs1 said:

I would have preferred something else (actually, anything else) instead of that, unless Bernie'c co-worker is a new recurring character and that was just her introduction in the show...not that I really believe that likely, though.

I wish she would be. I wish Raj would actually make friends with a girl and get to know her before he decided she's the girl for him. He usually does that and it's  recipe for disaster. I think Amy and Sheldon would like Rucci. She could talk to Amy girl to girl when Bernadette is with her new baby.

1 hour ago, Carey said:

who would have liked to see the seductive, smooth jazz,  tux wearing, slick backed hair Sheldon join the counsel?

Oh, I would have. Very much.

10 hours ago, shamymania said:

I posted this on the discussion thread and want to post it again here: That tag scene totally ripped off hazelra's Six Sheldons.  An update is in order.

I don't read fanfic so I don't know what you're talking about and I think the showrunners are not allowed to. This has been used before in other shows. Maybe not always with the number 6 but it's been done. It's not that original. Nothing is anymore.

• Like 1
  • Koala Face 1

Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler.

Because as I recall, Sheldon is the one who called her full name the most of times. So it has a certain nice "ring" to it. 

• Like 3
  • Koala Face 1

41 minutes ago, bfm said:

I think Amy would add his name, Fowler Cooper. I just think it goes with the character, she always had a thing for "traditional" romantic gestures so I think she would want to take her man's name (personally though I find last name conventions problematic).

Agree. Imo it would fit for personal and academic reasons.

• Like 1
  • Koala Face 1

6 hours ago, mirs1 said:

And, here we come to the part I'm not liking that much, Sheldon giving up on wedding plans and dropping the ball to Amy. I don't know if that's the way it is gonna be, or if, after consideration, he will collaborate to the planning, but I would like to see Shamy (from time to time, I'm not eager to see 1000 episodes over wedding preparations) negotiating their wedding. "Tell me when and where and I'll be there" (said by a man) is the classical way weddings are handled in comedies, I would like something different here. Anyway, given the way Sheldon reacted to the outdoors, cliff wedding "I know what I'll use the cliff for", probably he'll regret the whole thing sooner rather than later and he'll be more involved in the future. That was a funny scene, though, probably the funniest in the episode to me!

I agree with this and hold out hope for an elopement.

• Like 1
  • It's a Tiara 1

2 hours ago, Jonny said:

I think there will be Cooper in there, like you said most likely hyphenated.

In my field there was Angela Stent. 

Then Angela Stent Yergin. 

Then, back to Angela Stent, which wasn't a comment on her marital status [they're still married], but there obviously were professional reasons not to continue to use his name.

It's generally not done in academia as you - and your accomplishments - get lost.

2 hours ago, BobtheBlob said:

I realise that, and I understand the implication of keeping her name, but it didn't seem to effect Leonards parents (that we know off) and most of his family are all Dr. Hofstadter. It might be different if Amy and Sheldon were working in different places as well.

But no one would know who Amy Cooper was.

2 hours ago, April said:

Also, it was a different time. I think back in the days women had more pressure on them to take the husband's name.

Mary Cooper doesn't seem like the type to grouse about Amy doing so - she's just grateful 'Amy' exists. 

1 hour ago, Carey said:

I worked for a guy - not a citizen - who got his phd in Texas and started his career there as a political consultant.  He and his partner lived together for 10 years.  She had a son from a previous union and my boss didn't generally believe in govt. etc.  Anyway, one of the classic southern Texas women he worked with would host mega events his partner and he had to attend.  He told me "She was old-fashioned enough to insist on addressing Barbara as 'Mrs. So-and-so', but progressive enough to know it would piss her off, so she'd call her up to warn her she was doing it."  

Edited by Capt. Hilts
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Capt. Hilts said:

Mary Cooper doesn't seem like the type to grouse about Amy doing so - she's just grateful 'Amy' exists. 

That too. There's been so much speculation in the past about Mary having this or that influence on the relationship which allegedly causes her beliefs creeping into it but I've yet to see any of that to come true. Like, "Shamy would never have sex before marriage because Mary wouldn't stand for that!" and look how that turned out. Same with moving in together. Shamy are adults with their own lives who don't share Mary's views - I don't see how she'll have any influence here nor does she have any interest intervening in the first place.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, April said:

That too. There's been so much speculation in the past about Mary having this or that influence on the relationship which allegedly causes her beliefs creeping into it but I've yet to see any of that to come true. Like, "Shamy would never have sex before marriage because Mary wouldn't stand for that!" and look how that turned out. Same with moving in together. Shamy are adults with their own lives who don't share Mary's views - I don't see how she'll have any influence here nor does she have any interest intervening in the first place.

I think she's just thrilled he won't be alone.  First, there was Leonard, now, Amy.

• Like 1

Would Sheldon pull a John Lennon and become Sheldon Fowler Cooper?

Will Amy suggest it?

Is he named for General Lee?

24 minutes ago, Capt. Hilts said:

Would Sheldon pull a John Lennon and become Sheldon Fowler Cooper?

Will Amy suggest it?

Is he named for General Lee?

That would make for an interesting turn of events, but I guess for him the same academic problems Amy would have hold true, LOL! Always been curious to know why his middle name is Lee, but I don't think it has ever come up in the show. Maybe they'll explain it in Young Sheldon...

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Soopysue said:

then the line about putting lipstick on a pig!

Kind of poached from The Locomotive Manipulation.

3 hours ago, Jonny said:

I think there will be Cooper in there, like you said most likely hyphenated.

Isn't that what Bernadette did?

3 hours ago, April said:

Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler gets my vote! :D

Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler-Cooper for me.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Kathy2611 said:

My vote is Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler-Cooper

Me too !

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Kathy2611 said:

My vote is Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler-Cooper

Agreed.

I actually used that name in one of my fanfics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, April said:

That's because she is not as devout as she makes herself out to be that and she doesn't always practice what she preaches lol

Anyways if she thought Sheldon was doing anything wrong she would just pray for him lol, I kind of like that she doesn't force her own beliefs and so called way of doing things on to him.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jonny said:

That's because she is not as devout as she makes herself out to be.

That's putting it mildly.

• Like 1