Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 11

5 minutes ago, Sah said:

I thought my joke might be missed by some of our American members. :) 

Something must have been lost in translation. Perhaps explain?

Coopers make barrels.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sah said:

July 3rd is too close to Independence Day. Given the two choices March 7th

Well, they both have a relevance to Sheldon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sah said:

I thought my joke might be missed by some of our American members. :) 

Something must have been lost in translation. Perhaps explain?

Coopers are barrel-makers. Hence SH's  joke about a barrel of laughs. (It's annoying to explain one's own jokes so I'm stcking my nose in. )

Edited by joyceraye
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Coopers are barrel-makers. Hence SH's  joke about a barrel of laughs. (It's annoying to explain one's own jokes so I'm stcking my nose in. )

Got it...ty 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, April said:

Right? Either of them would probably take leaving out the Dr. as an insult, but Sheldon especially. I can already see it:

"Mr. Fowler? I could maybe look past the 'Fowler' but MR!?? HOW DARE YOU!?" LOL

True ! We are talking about Sheldon.  I was imagining some comic scenarios. It's been done before in comedies, where the husband has been assumed to be nothing but a connection to his wife. There was a news story of a middle eastern country about thirty years ago writing to Buckingham Palace when they were expecting a formal visit from HRH The Duke of Edinburgh. Some admin person wrote, 'Is the duke married ? If so, will he be bringing his wife with him ?'

I was thinking that Sheldon might one day even on some occasion be so proud of Amy, and so much less self-centred, that he'd overlook a similar assumption and think it was funny but I suppose that was hoping for a bit too much.  :)

In UK they are less worried about 'doctor' titles. Many medical professionals,for instance, avoid using them. Until the last few years when a generation who grew up on cable TV began qualifying, surgeons in particular have traditionally disdained the title of 'Doctor' and they were all 'Mr' or 'Miss' once they reached a certain level. It implies status. If  Mr X is operating on you or your dog rather than Dr Y, you know you're in the hands of the top man. My osteopaths all go by 'Mr' or 'Miss'. Many teachers don't bother using 'doctor' even if they have a PhD or DPhil unless they're the Head. Likewise with Clergy,who these days tend to like to be addressed by name anyway. Anyone teaching in a university would be assumed to be a doctor of something and possibly a professor. We always addressed ours by Mr, Miss, or Mrs, though, ( Apart from the SRN whom we called 'Matron' ) when I was a student unless we'd been told to use christian names.That was late sixties and early seventies. 

I've heard the opposite is true in Germany, where if someone has two doctorates they're addressed as 'Doctor Doctor'. 

1 minute ago, joyceraye said:

I've heard the opposite is true in Germany, where if someone has two doctorates they're addressed as 'Doctor Doctor'. 

Not really, it depends a lot on the personality of the person. Sure, there are people who are insisting on the title much like Sheldon would and among those are probably a few that would go as far as insisting on "Doctor Doctor" or whatever but there are also plenty of people that don't care either way. At the university I went to people where pretty relaxed about titles.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Surgeons in particular have traditionally disdained the title of 'Doctor' and they were all 'Mr' or 'Miss' once they reached a certain level.

Or "Sir", as in Sir Lancelot Spratt. :icon_biggrin: 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, mirs1 said:

Here's the partial resuts:

Dr.  Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler-Cooper    8 votes

Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler                          3 votes

Dr. Amy Farrah Cooper                         1 vote

As usual, if others  cast their vote, I'll update the results tomorrow! Those polls are pretty fun!

SECOND UPDATE: Amy's last name after the wedding 

Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler-Cooper   10 votes

Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler                  3 votes

Dr. Amy Farrah Cooper                 1 vote

As usual, if other  votes arrive, I'll update the poll again.

Edited by mirs1
added joyceraye's vote
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler-Cooper   9 votes

Dr Amy Farrah Cooper Fowler for work purposes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, April said:

Right? Either of them would probably take leaving out the Dr. as an insult, but Sheldon especially. I can already see it:

"Mr. Fowler? I could maybe look past the 'Fowler' but MR!?? HOW DARE YOU!?" LOL

Oh that would be sooooooo funny to see his reaction to Mr. Fowler:icon_cheesygrin:

3 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

Another vote for Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler.

Did you count me as hyphenated ? @mirs1

Edited by Carey
  • Like 2

I worked in higher education for over 20 years.  Many professional women would hyphenated their last name at work (faculty directories, course listings, etc) and for public (non-work related events.....invitations, mail sent to the home etc.

At work/personal lives....Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler Cooper

When publishing academic/research papers, they would use the name that appeared on their degree.....Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler.  The paper, would include a biography which would indicate that they were married and refer to the name and title of their spouse.

Just watched the episode again and I wont rehash what already has been said, but I just loved the flip flop scene.  I need behind the scene footage of the makeup/hair ladies making Jim a mess.  

Den of Geek summed up it best for me in their review....

"Jim Parsons is great in this scene, especially in the defeated way he responds to Amy’s wish for a cliff-edge, sunset June wedding. That’s fine, he sighs, as long as he can wear a Star Trek uniform under his tuxedo."

• Like 7

4 hours ago, vonmar said:

I worked in higher education for over 20 years.  Many professional women would hyphenated their last name at work (faculty directories, course listings, etc) and for public (non-work related events.....invitations, mail sent to the home etc.

At work/personal lives....Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler Cooper

When publishing academic/research papers, they would use the name that appeared on their degree.....Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler.  The paper, would include a biography which would indicate that they were married and refer to the name and title of their spouse.

Just watched the episode again and I wont rehash what already has been said, but I just loved the flip flop scene.  I need behind the scene footage of the makeup/hair ladies making Jim a mess.  

Den of Geek summed up it best for me in their review....

"Jim Parsons is great in this scene, especially in the defeated way he responds to Amy’s wish for a cliff-edge, sunset June wedding. That’s fine, he sighs, as long as he can wear a Star Trek uniform under his tuxedo."

Yes !!! BTS of the hair & make up would be fab ! I can imagine Jim was in there a lot due to all the costume changes as well lol !

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mirs1 said:

Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler-Cooper   10 votes

THIRD UPDATE: Amy's last name after the wedding 

Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler-Cooper   11 votes

Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler                  5 votes

If somebody else care to vote, go ahead and I'll update the poll.

Those polls are fun, and make for nice conversations; most likely there won't be much new Shamy news in the following days since last taping had apparently no Shamy in it.  So, if you want to tackle other subjects, or care to resurrect the "wedding date" or the "wedding theme" polls (also in the light of what said in 11.2), I'm more than happy to collect the data! 

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do you think we are going to see more of Shamy's project this season? it's been a while since we actually saw them doing work on it and of course Amy's work at Princeton for three months will have perhaps halted some progress on that.

I think they could make a huge deal out of their project and get many storylines out of it for example the resolution to any career success/jealousy Sheldon is experiencing right now because his own path has been a struggle since he became disillusioned with String Theory. Of course this comes with some bias lol I want to see as much Shamy as possible I would like to see them working on their project and actually enjoying it.

Another benefit of them working on their project is it is genuinely interesting IMO and if they wanted to focus on other storylines on the show I think it's a perfect B plot or Shamy in the background plot doing their work together. Like I could see them working on it providing laughs and sweet moments and off doing their own thing whilst a major storyline is playing out that week involving the rest of the cast.

My fear is the project is essentially a gag, that they bring it up every so often for gag purposes or link it to another story or theme they are trying to tell. I think it could be so much more than that.

• Like 3
  • Koala Face 1
  • It's a Tiara 1

As I can't edit my post I forgot to emphasize that you could get storylines out of this for BOTH characters though we know most storylines are Sheldon driven because of his status on the show (I don't have a problem with that, but wouldn't mind seeing more things from Amy's perspective or focus). This project and this season could be an opportunity to give Amy some nice storyline prominence as well 

• Like 4
  • It's a Tiara 2

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

Do you think we are going to see more of Shamy's project this season? it's been a while since we actually saw them doing work on it and of course Amy's work at Princeton for three months will have perhaps halted some progress on that.

I think they could make a huge deal out of their project and get many storylines out of it for example the resolution to any career success/jealousy Sheldon is experiencing right now because his own path has been a struggle since he became disillusioned with String Theory. Of course this comes with some bias lol I want to see as much Shamy as possible I would like to see them working on their project and actually enjoying it.

Another benefit of them working on their project is it is genuinely interesting IMO and if they wanted to focus on other storylines on the show I think it's a perfect B plot or Shamy in the background plot doing their work together. Like I could see them working on it providing laughs and sweet moments and off doing their own thing whilst a major storyline is playing out that week involving the rest of the cast.

My fear is the project is essentially a gag, that they bring it up every so often for gag purposes or link it to another story or theme they are trying to tell. I think it could be so much more than that.

I hope so because Shamy's project was one of my favourite things from s10! It has so much potencial for develop great plots about science and couple interaction. Besides is so Shamy as they are really in their favourite zone as they work. Also looking foward to wathcing more from it because both Physics and Neurobiology in real life have great anchievements in common in progress lately.

Really hopefull for the project be much more than a way of getting good laughs. At least I am crossing fingers for it could not be only a recurrent gag.

2 minutes ago, Jonny said:

As I can't edit my post I forgot to emphasize that you could get storylines out of this for BOTH characters though we know most storylines are Sheldon driven because of his status on the show (I don't have a problem with that, but wouldn't mind seeing more things from Amy's perspective or focus). This project and this season could be an opportunity to give Amy some nice storyline prominence as well 

Agree! And that girl deserve it so much! I love how passionate, inteligente and hard worker is Amy. :)

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 4
  • Koala Face 2

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

Do you think we are going to see more of Shamy's project this season?

Personally, my ideal scenario would be Shamy resuming work on it as a sort of payoff for the career shift arc with the two of them and then having some sort of breakthrough or gaining recognition for their work or whatever. I mean, right now Amy seems to be super busy with her own work so that's a good enough reason to postpone it a bit and naturally while Amy's project takes off Sheldon is left with his own struggles. I do like the balance of the arc so far. I feel Amy's side hasn't been neglected like sometimes in the past (I mean, take S9 which had pretty much zero work plots for Amy except to send her away for 2 episodes) and we see how she deals with her accomplishments and we see her at work and I hope the show continues like that with her. I love the classic Science!Amy moments in her interaction with Bernie and I'm looking forward to her working with Howard! :D

Reading about the geology thing in 11x07 I guess Sheldon's side of things isn't done, yet, despite our hopes that PP would do that for him. We'll see, I guess. As long as I get Science!Amy I'm fine with him tinkering on different career related issues.

• Like 5
  • Koala Face 1
  • It's a Tiara 1

17 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Or "Sir", as in Sir Lancelot Spratt. :icon_biggrin: 

Or even 'Lord Whatever' if they're given a peerage for their work.

12 hours ago, vonmar said:

Didn't he say that was not negotiable?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Or even 'Lord Whatever' if they're given a peerage for their work.

I was referring specifically to a surgeon.

Sir Lancelot Spratt wad a surgeon, in the Doctor in the House series of movies.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I was referring specifically to a surgeon.

Sir Lancelot Spratt wad a surgeon, in the Doctor in the House series of movies.

I know who Sir Lancelot was. Isn't Lord Winston a surgeon ?

Edited by joyceraye