[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 11

Tensor

23 minutes ago, April said:

I'm gonna go with "because it's funny" - people being ill, especially when one of them is Sheldon, are a popular source of humour. Happens at least once a season. So I don't see it as anything out of the order.

Also, condoms exist. So it's not like the pill is their only option of contraception and we don't even know if Amy takes it anyway. So in short: I don't think they'll have them pregnant any time soon. Maybe a scare at most.

Pretty sure Shamy don't use the pill as a birth control method, otherwise the whole plot of 10.8, where Sheldon wanted to conceive a baby in Amy's lab, taking advantage of her fertile period, wouldn't have been possible, LOL! Also, if my expectations were to have sex twice a year (or something along those lines) I would choose a contraceptive with less side effects than the pill...

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, April said:

I'm gonna go with "because it's funny" - people being ill, especially when one of them is Sheldon, are a popular source of humour. Happens at least once a season. So I don't see it as anything out of the order.

Also, condoms exist. So it's not like the pill is their only option of contraception and we don't even know if Amy takes it anyway. So in short: I don't think they'll have them pregnant any time soon. Maybe a scare at most.

It's a horrible illness. It's not like one of Sheldon's colds or somebody having too much to drink.

Yes they recommend condoms and/or 'other mechanical means' if a woman has had a bad stomach etc but I don't imagine Shamy carry them when they go out, especially not to a baby's party. Not unless they went with the intention of looking for somewhere, which I suppose is possible. Last year they waited until they got back from Potterworld. I'm assuming they got the idea when they saw the castle. I think a scare would make for a good episode in the new year.

22 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Pretty sure Shamy don't use the pill as a birth control method, otherwise the whole plot of 10.8, where Sheldon wanted to conceive a baby in Amy's lab, taking advantage of her fertile period, wouldn't have been possible, LOL! Also, if my expectations were to have sex twice a year (or something along those lines) I would choose a contraceptive with less side effects than the pill...

I think after Sheldon's behaviour last year, which she admitted was 'a close thing' she might have started taking it. In her shoes I'd have gone on it as soon as I got back from Princeton. We don't know any more that her birthday is the only occasion she'll need it. 

17 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

It's a horrible illness. It's not like one of Sheldon's colds or somebody having too much to drink.

It's clearly not that horrible when they're up and about already and ready for some spontaneous hanky-panky at their friends' house. lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, April said:

It's clearly not that horrible when they're up and about already and ready for some spontaneous hanky-panky at their friends' house. lol

I'm just hoping we don't get the same result as when Howard and Bernadette went into Sheldons old room for spontaneous coitus. I mean they're going to do it at their house. So maybe a bit of revenge from two years ago, except with no baby at the end of it. As much as I want for Shamy to have a baby, I want it to be at the end of the series, with the baby being born in the final episode. I just don't want one now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Lucky us, but  will it be unlucky them ? Remember what the medical advice is for a couple if the lady has had a bug, food poisoning, or anything else causing D and V. ( FYI Gentlemen, it's that a certain daily medication is rendered ineffective.  What are they unlikely to be carrying with them to a child's party ? )

I'm wondering why otherwise have the writers thought to include something like that in the story ? Penny brought stomach flu germs with her once  to stop all except Raj going to Switzerland with Leonard,but except to make Sheldon's behaviour look funny when he has a cold and to hear Soft Kitty, we don't usually see anybody ill like that.  It's not generally considered a joke. So, as they say in multiple-choice answers in quiz shows, why is that one there ?

I love your way of thinking! Although I'm not sure Amy is on the pill at all, they probably wouldn't take protection with them to a child's party... although this gets me thinking, with their love for preparedness... hmm perhaps they carry them with them all the time in case the whimsy strikes them:-)

16 minutes ago, BobtheBlob said:

I'm just hoping we don't get the same result as when Howard and Bernadette went into Sheldons old room for spontaneous coitus. I mean they're going to do it at their house. So maybe a bit of revenge from two years ago, except with no baby at the end of it. As much as I want for Shamy to have a baby, I want it to be at the end of the series, with the baby being born in the final episode. I just don't want one now.

I was also thinking about the parallels! And the writers love parallel plots (cough cough, 11-months-pregnancy to make it happen, cough cough), so why not? At least a scare would be a great episode, but hopefully with season 10 mature Sheldon and not the one we've gotten at the beginning of this season... There can be so much fun about Shamy handling their benign overlord, but alas I think the actors don't want childs on set (if they get to have a say in that at all)... btw I've really been waiting for Shamy-have-to-babysit-Halley, come on writers make it happen!

Hi everyone, I just found brilliantfool's taping report, THANK YOU SO MUCH! Isn't that exiting?

https://forum.the-big-bang-theory.com/topic/7155-spoilers-season-11-discussion-thread/?do=findComment&comment=615025

I'm not lurking around so often in the main thread anymore... but I loved what was mentioned about Shamy! Sheldon seemed really eager to get to the "main part" of the evening LOL! I can't wait to see those jokes played out on screen! And he's planned a whole birthday weekend! Isn't that wonderful? I'm so happy right now, he really goes all the way to please his little lady! Amy is one lucky girl!

• Like 8

I'm still waiting for that post-coital SIC but putting that aside, it's nice that this time the focus is on the festivities and not the sex itself. Now it's something they just do for fun while there's a ton of other stuff Sheldon has prepared.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Judith said:

I'm still waiting for that post-coital SIC but putting that aside, it's nice that this time the focus is on the festivities and not the sex itself. Now it's something they just do for fun while there's a ton of other stuff Sheldon has prepared.

Haha, after I read your post, I read your signature, and suddenly, it's like Sheldon is directly saying this to us in some sort of advertisement, LOL. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I'm wondering why otherwise have the writers thought to include something like that in the story ?

I can't understand why someone as intelligent as Amy is into Little House on the Prairie. I've done pioneer reenacting and taught woodstove cooking and I can see how Sheldon apparently messed up the food and why Amy supposedly doesn't like it when he gets it cooked. I just don't know what so many people like about those books, especially someone like Amy. Do they enjoy when Laura starved, or almost froze to death, or almost burned to death? Do they enjoy the character's disappointment with the government not pushing the Indians off their land quickly enough? Do they honestly think it would be fun to be doing a quarter of an adult's work by the time you're seven years old, or spending your life slaving for a couple of ineffective men who never manage to succeed at anything? Do people really like the idea of shoveling horse poop or having a pot of cold pee under their beds? What's appealing about no sanitation, no sewers, no running water, no refrigeration, and the fact that being "on the rag" was literal? I enjoy demonstrating it so people can see what it was like, but I never romanticize it and I'm really glad to go home at the end of the day and take a proper bath instead of in one of those tubs like they used in Amy's fantasy.

Don't get me wrong, I think this ep has a lot going for it, and it was adorable of Sheldon to do this, and I am glad he's once again tried to do something that will tie into her interests and make her happy, instead of concentrating solely on himself like he does in some eps, but I jut don't get why they chose Little House on the Prairie. I never have. And yes, I know I forgot to take my watch off on the day they took this picture of me sitting by the woodbox. LOL!

6 hours ago, April said:

They chose to do one pregnancy and worked in another for for Melissa's sake, but I do not want to see one now for Amy and Sheldon. I don't even want a scare. The invisible baby is wearing thin and I don't want real kids on the set right now. I'd be happy if no one else ever got pregnant, especially Amy and Sheldon, at least until the very end. of the show. Let's have lots of Shamy couple cuteness first.

buckleycat.jpg

Edited by Die Zimtzicke

1 hour ago, Judith said:

Agree! As for the SIC I would love to see it before the shows end for good, why could not we see it yet being  them sexually active for two years by now?  I guess I have to put my expectations really low about this subject though. *sigh*

• Like 3

I thought Amy was into the LHOTP Television series as a child. Perhaps she has sentimental memories of watching it. It was a popular programme, I think. She writes fanfiction round it but I don't recall that she mentioned reading the books. That's another kettle of fish altogether. They're about one disaster after another, interesting in many ways but enjoyable isn't quite the word. I read them as an adult. What kept me going through them was the hope things would get better.

I must say the thought of living in such primitive conditions for more than a weekend has little or no appeal for me. Even in Amy's fanfic Ameiia wants to know about the future. I prefer a world where hot water, toilet paper and tampons are easily available. Imagine being a child when what was for dinner was what your dad could shoot. 

Yeah, I don't think Amy's fondness for LHOTP has much to do with the reality of the times back then but rather nostalgia for the TV series which AFAIK glossed over quite a bit of the hardships and problematic aspects. The show was pretty kid friendly for the most part and I remember quite a few comedy elements as well.

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, April said:

Yeah, I don't think Amy's fondness for LHOTP has much to do with the reality of the times back then but rather nostalgia for the TV series which AFAIK glossed over quite a bit of the hardships and problematic aspects. The show was pretty kid friendly for the most part and I remember quite a few comedy elements as well.

Yeah its the same with any time period or setting. Why are there fans of Jane Austen and the Regency era when life for many was far from rosy especially with poverty, disease, low life expectancy, high infant mortality, a real separation of class and the Napoleonic Wars? Or why are there fans of the Victorian era? Fans of the 1920's?

I think Amy knows life wasn't perfect back then for many and in different ways but that doesn't mean she still can't enjoy the setting. She might enjoy that time period but obviously wouldn't have wanted to live through it. She is a big fan of the work of Chaucer, that time period the Black Death was ravaging through Europe.

It's escapism, choosing some of the best bits even though if you think about it deeply it wasn't as rosy as sometimes it was portrayed in literature, television and movies.

Also In terms of LHOTP who knows she may have watched tv show re-runs as a young girl with her mother or a grandmother so there might be a lot of nostalgia added to that.

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

@Die Zimtzicke, your cat is a cutie! :)

Anyway, I loved "A Litle House " too for the family love and friendship bonds all the characters shared in a way strong and unconditional. It may be one of the reasons why Amy enjoyed it so much. Or she was also fan of Almanzo and Laura like me. They were one of my first couples I shipped from tv. :)

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 1
  • Koala Face 1

3 hours ago, spidergirl said:

your cat is a cutie!

Thanks, but he is not mine. That was one of the cats from the barn that came over during the program to see what was going on. These are my cats. I laughed a lot when Amy told Sheldon that she liked cats, too. It's interesting that they are cat people. Maybe some day they will have a cat again. I'd love to see them with a pet. Just not 25 of them.

Fluffy and Tidbit.JPG

1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Thanks, but he is not mine. That was one of the cats from the barn that came over during the program to see what was going on. These are my cats. I laughed a lot when Amy told Sheldon that she liked cats, too. It's interesting that they are cat people. Maybe some day they will have a cat again. I'd love to see them with a pet. Just not 25 of them.

Fluffy and Tidbit.JPG

Yours are cute too. As myself as a cat person ( have two) I love to see these fluffy fellows :)

As for Shamy and pets, tbh I think we might not see them having a pet as the 25 cats served the purpose of the plot that showed how Sheldon already missed Amy if she would not be in his life. It was a radical move from Sheldon for  compensate Amy's absence. Sheldon still has too much issues with Raj's dog for be reasonable to see Shamy haviing a pet, not mention his reactions about sharing  Giuseppe with Amy some years ago .  Course a  cat is not a dog or a turtle  but I think Shamy are focused on other kind of stuff right now. Imo we hardly will see a pet in 4 b but course I could be wrong though.

• Like 1
  • Koala Face 1

On 23/11/2017 at 2:38 AM, snapepans said:

Just imagine what food Sheldon prepared for the Little House on a Prairie party that got them poisoned

A peanut butter sandwich? :laugh: 

22 hours ago, spidergirl said:

As for Shamy and pets, tbh I think we might not see them having a pet as the 25 cats served the purpose of the plot that showed how Sheldon already missed Amy if she would not be in his life.

I still have a problem with Sheldon getting the 25 cats, given that it was already established, that Sheldon can't tolerate cats, due to his asthma.

On 24/11/2017 at 7:20 AM, April said:

I'm gonna go with "because it's funny" - people being ill

They had Penny and Leonard being sick, albeit that was due to too much drink, and of course Amy, for the same reason.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 24/11/2017 at 7:20 AM, April said:

So it's not like the pill is their only option of contraception and we don't even know if Amy takes it anyway.

Judging by Brain Bowl, I don't think she does use oral contraception.

On 24/11/2017 at 7:57 AM, joyceraye said:

Not unless they went with the intention of looking for somewhere, which I suppose is possible.

Maybe Sheldon wanted to get his own back, on Howard and Bernadette. :icon_biggrin: 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Judging by Brain Bowl, I don't think she does use oral contraception.

Maybe Sheldon wanted to get his own back, on Howard and Bernadette. :icon_biggrin: 

Obviously she'd not be 'as fertile as a manured wheatfield' if she was taking it at the time, but I think after Brain Bowl  if she had any sense she would, in case that mood gripped Sheldon again. Or perhaps she'd get a 13-week jab or something. Yes, I can see Sheldon could have stored up resentment for nearly two years and think it was a nice way of getting his own back, but on a baby's birthday .... Ewww. And where feet had been trampling - not even hygenic. Even Ewwer.

15 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Obviously she'd not be 'as fertile as a manured wheatfield' if she was taking it at the time, but I think after Brain Bowl  if she had any sense she would, in case that mood gripped Sheldon again. Or perhaps she'd get a 13-week jab or something.

Hormonal contraception has a ton of side effects that I don't think anyone should take it lightly on a whim just because their partner might be in the mood once or twice a year. It's not like Sheldon is the kind of guy Amy couldn't trust either. If there's one thing the writers have always emphasised in their sex life then it's establishing consent.

15 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Yes, I can see Sheldon could have stored up resentment for nearly two years and think it was a nice way of getting his own back, but on a baby's birthday .... Ewww. And where feet had been trampling - not even hygenic. Even Ewwer.

What are you talking about? The joke is that they're innocently gonna hop around a bit on the bouncy castle and then get a room. They're not doing it on/in the bouncy castle itself. Goodness.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, April said:

Hormonal contraception has a ton of side effects that I don't think anyone should take it lightly on a whim just because their partner might be in the mood once or twice a year. It's not like Sheldon is the kind of guy Amy couldn't trust either. If there's one thing the writers have always emphasised in their sex life then it's establishing consent.

What are you talking about? The joke is that they're innocently gonna hop around a bit on the bouncy castle and then get a room. They're not doing it on/in the bouncy castle itself. Goodness.

Few women have side-effects from oral contraception. If they do, all that's usually necessary is to change the brand. When there really isn't one that suits them, it's unfortunate if they're neither ready for the next baby nor to make a permanent solution. Mechanical methods have a failure rate, as Howardette have discovered. Nobody knows they're going to have problems with The Pill or hormone implants or injections unless they already have a condition or family history that contra-indicates it. Amy wouldn't be intending to be on it for long anyway :they've been talking about procreating since they met. She said she wasn't ready in Brain Bowl but Sheldon still kept trying and she came close to giving in. The Pill's small failure rate is caused by forgetfulness or food-poisoning, and possibly by some antibiotics. 

Oh ! LOL. I thought they were looking for a room in the castle  ! I just thought it must be a bigger than usual castle. Well, if they're looking for a real room they're probably prepared so my Pill/Food poisoning/pregnancy scare goes out of the window. Now what am I going to ponder on until the next episode ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Few women have side-effects from oral contraception. If they do, all that's usually necessary is to change the brand. When there really isn't one that suits them, it's unfortunate if they're neither ready for the next baby nor to make a permanent solution. Mechanical methods have a failure rate, as Howardette have discovered. Nobody knows they're going to have problems with The Pill or hormone implants or injections unless they already have a condition or family history that contra-indicates it. Amy wouldn't be intending to be on it for long anyway :they've been talking about procreating since they met. She said she wasn't ready in Brain Bowl but Sheldon still kept trying and she came close to giving in. The Pill's small failure rate is caused by forgetfulness or food-poisoning, and possibly by some antibiotics. 

Side effects of the pill have been downplayed for decades in favour of the freedom it gives women over their sexuality. A lot of women actually suffer from physical and/or psychological side effects - sometimes without even realising it cause so many of those are so normalised. Sure, weight gain, mood swings, decreased libido and things like that aren't exactly life threatening and thus not taken seriously (unless you're researching a hormonal contraceptive for men in which case those symptoms are enough to put a stop to the whole study, go figure!) but it can still mess with your (sex-) life. In the end you have to weight the pros and cons and I just don't see the pros here since Shamy don't have the kind of relationship where frequent spontaneous unprotected sex is a thing that'd make it worth it.

Really, taking the pill for sex one or two times a year is complete overkill. And as you said yourself: They want kids anyway so why should Amy mess with her hormonal balance which might only harm their chances of getting pregnant since she is in her mid-late 30s? It takes a few months up to a year or more for the body to get used to the hormones of the pill and then just as long to get back to a natural hormone balance after you stop using it. It can be really messy and really time consuming and might cost Shamy precious time should they decide to get pregnant.

Though of course they're just fictional characters so any realistic side effects don't matter that much, sure.

What I would find more insidious about this suggestion here is the undermining of consent between the two. If we're going by the premise that Sheldon in his however crosswired science induced horniness was only willing to jump Amy right then and there in the lab because he knew she wasn't using hormonal contraception and thus was fertile then the idea of Amy taking the pill to prevent a pregnancy because she might give into his advances should that happen again is leading to the following scenarios: 1) Sheldon knows about it and thus a Brain Bowl scenario wouldn't happen again anyway because Amy wouldn't be fertile, hence no "let's make a baby right now!" trigger. So Amy would take the pill for nothing. 2) Sheldon doesn't know about it and Amy is essentially luring him to have sex under false pretences which would be despicable, if I may be so blunt. The right way to deal with this is simply be honest and negotiate when they're ready for a kid and use a less invasive contraceptive method for the few times they're in the mood for frenzied love making.

P.S.: I don't think Howardette got pregnant because their contraception failed them. It's suggested they were just reckless that evening (i.e doing it without protection) and risk a pregnancy. Howard wanted to become a dad anyway, Bernadette was thinking about it and it's later been suggested that she was also in favour of a baby because of some work project not going the way she wanted.

Oh ! LOL. I thought they were looking for a room in the castle  ! I just thought it must be a bigger than usual castle. Well, if they're looking for a real room they're probably prepared so my Pill/Food poisoning/pregnancy scare goes out of the window. Now what am I going to ponder on until the next episode ?

Nathan-Fillion-Loss-For-Words.gif.622a0ad9f339484d985d5a5bdf745b48.gif

Edited by April
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, April said:

P.S.: I don't think Howardette got pregnant because their contraception failed them. It's suggested they were just reckless that evening (i.e doing it without protection) and risk a pregnancy. Howard wanted to become a dad anyway, Bernadette was thinking about it and it's later been suggested that she was also in favour of a baby because of some work project not going the way she wanted.

Nathan-Fillion-Loss-For-Words.gif.622a0ad9f339484d985d5a5bdf745b48.gif

They made it quite clear this preganancy was a mistake. They had been very 'carefu'l. They said it to each other and Bernadette said it to Penny. Neither of them wanted the second baby yet and they've now gone for the most reliable option.

54 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

They made it quite clear this preganancy was a mistake. They had been very 'carefu'l. They said it to each other and Bernadette said it to Penny. Neither of them wanted the second baby yet and they've now gone for the most reliable option.

Oh you meant the second baby - I thought you meant the first. whoops-