Metalanguage

guimaboy

Metalanguage have always been one of my favourite subjects on Arts. It plays with the limitations of each language, when for example a cartoon character says "i need more space" and the lines of the comic strip are too close to him. In the last episode occured a great example of that :

Penny : How did you know he said that ? You left the room

Leonard : Hey, you want me to finish working on your man feet or not ?

Leonard couldn't know too she had said that she have her dad's feet before he entered the room. Does someone noticed another metalanguage examples on other episodes ? I just start wondering that, if i remember another i post here

The simplest explanation is usually the best. We don't see all the conversation between Leonard and Penny, and I think it's simplest to assume that she mentioned the man-feet thing at some point during the conversation but we didn't see it. It's also likely that during their months together she mentioned that she uses nail polish to hide her man-feet and Leonard was teasing her just a little bit.

Steve

The Wiki

The simplest explanation is usually the best. We don't see all the conversation between Leonard and Penny, and I think it's simplest to assume that she mentioned the man-feet thing at some point during the conversation but we didn't see it. It's also likely that during their months together she mentioned that she uses nail polish to hide her man-feet and Leonard was teasing her just a little bit.

Steve

The Wiki

Ok we could also assume that but remembering its a tv show, lol, and knowing that this all was written, I do think Chuck was playing with a common mistake in fictional narrations that is changing the narrator-character to a omniscient narrator.

If it wasn't fiction i would agree with you.

Thiago

Steve's Archenemy

ps: just kidding, I like you, Steve o/

In my way back home today I remembered two great examples : when Raj meets Charlie in the bar, and when Sheldon, Penny and Leonard see on the tv the anime, which soundtrack Charlie made (with his nephew's help, lol). Both play with the fact if the plot of Two and a half men and The Big Bang Theory were not fiction, chances are that they might happen simultaneously.

What is Metalanguage?

meta from latin means "limit". Its when the language discuss itself. A book about writing, a painting representing the act of painting, a movie about the history of cinema ...

When its not languague you may say its self-referential (in countries which speak portuguese we say meta referencial)

Thanks you! Apologies, only been speaking English for short time. :)

Why apologize ? I am not a native and you are always so sweet to everyone. I don't like when people apologize when is not needed, puts the person as inferior or something like that, i don't like

I love this kind of thing! The whiteboard inside jokes are another excellent example. As we add to this thread I'll try to remember to add things to the wiki. Problem right now is that I have extremely limited internet connectivity, so I'm falling behind!

I don't think Raj meeting Charlie Sheen was in this category. Charlie didn't try to suggest that he was the character from Two and a Half Men, he was just Charlie Sheen. That's in the same category as the guys meeting Summer Glau and George Smoot.

Interestingly, the anime film they were watching was refereed to as "Oshikuru: Demon Samurai", the reference from Two and a Half Men. Actually, they were watching an episode from an anime television series called "Boogiepop Phantom".

Steve

Who knows just a little bit too much trivia about this show

I don't think Raj meeting Charlie Sheen was in this category. Charlie didn't try to suggest that he was the character from Two and a Half Men, he was just Charlie Sheen.

I agree, and Charlie Sheen is more likely to be seen in the cover of People than Charlie Harper, lol