[Spoilers] Season 11 Shipping Lanes

Tensor

On 11/13/2017 at 8:00 AM, joyceraye said:

To me a good haircut suggests efficiency and competence. I'd go for a man with a haircut like Sheldon's. I woudn't  fancy a chap who made a curly front to his hair like Leonard.

To each her own. I am a huge fan of Johnny's curls. They are one of his "trademarks." Also like the scruffy beard.:girlinlove:

curly haired Johnny.jpg

• Like 1
  • Leonard Cupid 1

On 2017/11/13 at 11:28 PM, Carlos said:

I think in this discussion we are all mixing general opinions, introducing our own biases , and all around muddying the subject. IMO, it's much more simple than that. Penny is shown to wear nicer clothes , that are more form fitting and which are supposed to be more aesthetically pleasing than Amy's because that's her character. Penny is supposed to be the more physically attractive of the two. Amy, on the contrary is supposed to be the frumpier one, again because that is the character. If not, why would they have her wear 2 cardigans? Or the quasi-orthopedic shoes? In Bernadette's case, I think her style is sort between Amy's and Penny's. Please note that I'm not saying Mayim, Kaley or Melissa, but Amy, Penny and Bernadette, as  I'm talking strictly about the characters, and not the actresses. If TPTB wanted to, I'm sure they could make all of the girls look sexy, because they are all beautiful women indeed, even if Kaley is the one who, IMO, looks best. However that in itself means nothing as it only denotes a personal preference which is only representative of what I think.

THANK YOU!!!

And, I want to save this post, so when the next time the same discussion appears, I can post this and all the credit goes to you.

Is that alright?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, snapepans said:

THANK YOU!!!

And, I want to save this post, so when the next time the same discussion appears, I can post this and all the credit goes to you.

Is that alright?

Of course! No problem at all! And I'm glad that we are so much in agreement.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Capt. Hilts said:

There's just no room for it.  The show is struggling with so many characters.

The show is wasting more than enough time on filler nonsense - they can spare an episode or two to fill out some blanks in one of the main 7's character background. Jeez, it's not like anyone's asking for Stuart's parents to show up, or even that Amy's parents should become regulars.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, April said:

The show is wasting more than enough time on filler nonsense - they can spare an episode or two to fill out some blanks in one of the main 7's character background. Jeez, it's not like anyone's asking for Stuart's parents to show up, or even that Amy's parents should become regulars.

They are consistently running three plots in each show to cover most of the characters.  So, watching the show has become more like watching film clips of a longer show that you never see.  

3 minutes ago, April said:

And there's Bert and Bernadette's new co-worker....I agree that Amy's story needs to be fleshed out.  Agree.  But I have no clue where they're going to find room.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Capt. Hilts said:

They are consistently running three plots in each show to cover most of the characters.  So, watching the show has become more like watching film clips of a longer show that you never see.  

That in an of itself has nothing to do with whether or not Amy's parents could or should be introduced. They could easily introduce them in an episode with and A-plot/B-plot split. It wouldn't be the first time Shamy have their own plot while the rest of the gang is doing something else together. So what you want is better plot management in general.

21 minutes ago, Capt. Hilts said:

And there's Bert and Bernadette's new co-worker....I agree that Amy's story needs to be fleshed out.  Agree.  But I have no clue where they're going to find room. 

Bert is just there to fill the hole that Kripke left behind now that JRB is busy with his own show. Likewise Ruchi fills the hole that Emily left behind. So it's not like these characters are constantly fighting for attention and screen time. Functionally they're not adding to the cast in that way. Especially someone like Bert is mostly just there for the main characters to react to. He himself doesn't have a proper story line.

Apologies if I'm a bit cranky about this but 1) I'm struggling with a cold, and 2) it's become a bit of a pet peeve that whenever anyone hopes for anything Amy-related someone comes out of the wood works like "No, not this!!" for some reason that doesn't even apply to the character.

Edited by April
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

There's just no room for it.  The show is struggling with so many characters.

I disagree. S11 has had a lot of “filler” episodes IMO and I think surely the writers if inclined could explore, even in a small way, Amy’s past that would include her familial relations. The character has been with the show for 6 seasons and though she was introduced as a supporting character I think over the years she has earned a much bigger role. 

The other characters have all had their share of the spotlight when it comes to this topic and for whatever reasons TPTB choose to ignore this side of Amy. I think it’s time they made her a little more human, and I think there is enough of the audience out there (especially with how popular the Shamy relationship is these days) that would enjoy this to warrant a plot involving the folks. 

There is after all a finite amount of episodes left to do it in too. It wouldnt take a lot of effort, nor do we need them to be regulars on the show that would complicate an already crowded cast of regulars.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

I disagree. S11 has had a lot of “filler” episodes IMO and I think surely the writers if inclined could explore, even in a small way, Amy’s past that would include her familial relations. The character has been with the show for 6 seasons and though she was introduced as a supporting character I think over the years she has earned a much bigger role. 

The other characters have all had their share of the spotlight when it comes to this topic and for whatever reasons TPTB choose to ignore this side of Amy. I think it’s time they made her a little more human, and I think there is enough of the audience out there (especially with how popular the Shamy relationship is these days) that would enjoy this to warrant a plot involving the folks. 

There is after all a finite amount of episodes left to do it in too. It wouldnt take a lot of effort, nor do we need them to be regulars on the show that would complicate an already crowded cast of regulars.

Excellently put, I couldn't agree more :)

The main reason I want to see Amy's parents is not for creating storylines and providing an opportunity for humourous gags and interactions for Sheldon its first and foremost to flesh out Amy's character even more. I mean sure we will get those Sheldon moments if they appeared, but it should be to provide something for Amy. That's what I am hoping for.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 6
  • Koala Face 1
  • It's a Tiara 1

17 hours ago, Jonny said:

Excellently put, I couldn't agree more :)

The main reason I want to see Amy's parents is not for creating storylines and providing an opportunity for humourous gags and interactions for Sheldon its first and foremost to flesh out Amy's character even more. I mean sure we will get those Sheldon moments if they appeared, but it should be to provide something for Amy. That's what I am hoping for.

That would be exactly the same reason I'd like to see them. All in all I would like to see the Shamy relationship a little bit more balanced in Amy's favor. So far I'm liking S11, at least more than S8-S10 (so far), but they could still improve in plot management, and not try to cram so many stories at once. I don't know if Stuart's inclusion in every since episode is really warranted, and except for the Rucci plot lately Raj has seemed superfluous at best in many of the latter season episodes.

• Like 3
  • Koala Face 1

3 hours ago, Carlos said:

That would be exactly the same reason I'd like to see them. All in all I would like to see the Shamy relationship a little bit more balanced in Amy's favor.

I'm all for more balancing, and even more examples or stories being more from her perspective involving Shamy. Even having her being at fault in some situations or her having to cope, deal or come to terms with something. Maybe even Amy having to change instead of the usual Sheldon has to change dynamic in some stories.

Amy is a brilliant character in her own right and even though she is already my favorite character I've always thought they could do a bit more with her. Her parents could be a way to do some of that.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • It's a Tiara 1

3 hours ago, Jonny said:

I'm all for more balancing, and even more examples or stories being more from her perspective involving Shamy. Even having her being at fault in some situations or her having to cope, deal or come to terms with something. Maybe even Amy having to change instead of the usual Sheldon has to change dynamic in some stories.

Amy is a brilliant character in her own right and even though she is already my favorite character I've always thought they could do a bit more with her. Her parents could be a way to do some of that.

The bold part YES. A lot of us here have advocated for the tables to be turned where Amy has to deal with an issue involving her own shortcomings (which seemed a lot more plentiful a few seasons ago instead of now--seems they've grown her up a lot since 9.11 IMO). Amy is a pretty interesting character in her own right, as you point out. For someone who was originally introduced as a sort of a female Sheldon clone she has definitely taken on a different persona over the years, one that shares some quirkiness with Sheldon but is different in a lot of other ways (like the way she picks up on things that go over Sheldon's head and how she engages in sarcastic and witty banter that is pretty clever at times).

I would love to see Amy get challenged in a situation where she comes to terms with something and maybe even allows Sheldon to help her in some way. Wishful thinking I'm afraid...

• Like 6

3 hours ago, 5Mississippis said:

I'm enjoying this season more that I have in the past three seasons. The tiny Lenny moments we've been given have been rather enjoyable and I'm glad that snarky Penny SEEMS to have melted away. I find myself LOL at times -- really loved Leonard's little laugh last week -- it was sort of a dismissive school yard 'Nyah, Nyah' -- when Sheldon said he wanted to speak with Penny alone. A tiny but fun moment. The last episode I've let stay in my DVR was Season's 10 'Veracity' with the delectable bondage scene -- Leonard being chained and whipped (Down, Freak Flag! Down!) -- and before that was Season Hate's 'Graduation'. But that being said, even with nothing I'd really feel compelled to re-watch again, I've been enjoying this season.  

Well put Karen and so nice to see you! 

1 hour ago, Lagernisse said:

No need to worry, it was only a joke. :icon_biggrin:

I know, I know. But everytime I hear/read Beverly and therapy in the same sentence (not seperated by "should be banned from doing") I shudder.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lagernisse said:

Do you hate her that much ?

AcclaimedEvenDorado-max-1mb.gif

I don't hate the character as a character, she is supposed to be horrible. As a therapist it is hard for me not to shudder at her as a "therapist" but that does not mean I do not enjoy watching the character. Her being so horrible is part of the joke, my vehement comments about her doing therapy are me going along with it. 

Edited by bfm
  • Like 3

TBF to Bev she has kinda let her guard down recently. The last few times we have seen her. I love her character. Because I Don't think she was horrible to Leonard because she is horrible. They are opening the curtain some what. And your seeing more to her which I have enjoyed. I really loved the last time we saw her this season. Saying how she is proud of Leonard. And Penny is her favorite. Those are the character developments I enjoy. Not really a fan of how they are exploited some of the characters worst flaws. With Moloro at the helm (He is really a lovely man! LOL). And called it character development. This season though. It feels more even. The pacing is alot less rushed. And more slowed down. So the characters are getting more quality and time to phrase a story or a joke. Hence why I think the intereactions between Leonard and Penny are more fleshed out. Therefore were getting more Season 6 Lenny then Season 8 Lenny. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I know lots of people think the video was sweet, but doesn't anyone else think it was spoiled by Penny winding up falling down drunk and Leonard and Zack repeatedly watching  that?

I know this is a Lenny thread but I do have a question. I know a lot of people like the first time Shamy coitus scene but wasn't it disappointing when Amy's hair was all over and it seemed she had a good and Sheldon suggested just doing it once a year?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I know lots of people think the video was sweet, but doesn't anyone else think it was spoiled by Penny winding up falling down drunk and Leonard and Zack repeatedly watching  that?

I didn't mind that much, she was fine. It's like when someone who is sleepy trips a bit without getting hurt, friends and partners might laugh and it's not a big deal, light spirited.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chrismo said:

I know this is a Lenny thread but I do have a question. I know a lot of people like the first time Shamy coitus scene but wasn't it disappointing when Amy's hair was all over and it seemed she had a good and Sheldon suggested just doing it once a year?

I didn't think shipping lanes was just a Lenny thread. Anyway, though, it bothers me a little, but I think things may improve along those lines. Their sex life is not why I enjoy watching them.

1 minute ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I didn't think shipping lanes was just a Lenny thread. Anyway, though, it bothers me a little, but I think things may improve along those lines. Their sex life is not why I enjoy watching them.

I meant isn't 

I honestly dont care about Amys family but then any scene Sheldon is in that leonard or Penney isnt in i skip past I no longer find sheldon funny 99.95% of the time

Edited by JE7
  • Like 1