Chit Chat: Season 11

On 30/12/2017 at 1:36 PM, Stephen Hawking said:

No offence, but your own Bible disagrees that it was 25th December.

I too am reasonably certain that it wasn't the 25th of Dec, but I am not sure where the bible says this. A reference would be nice.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just found out tonight that I've been cast in "The Grapes of Wrath" at a local theatre.   For those familiar with the novel (or movie)  I'll be playing Pa Joad, Tom's father.   I will have to c

Besides spending the last few days trying to get our house (cleaning out the gutters, applying some rubber sealant to some weak areas on the roof, adding some nails and screws to some weak points, etc

There are a lot of sad people, because of the shooting.   No, I don't think he was heartless.   He was directing his comments at  a particular congressional leader.   Wil is fed up (as are many others

Posted Images

9 hours ago, ajond said:

I too am reasonably certain that it wasn't the 25th of Dec, but I am not sure where the bible says this. A reference would be nice.

Quoting Stephen Hawkings post by hand as my quoting just got frozen for some reason:

The biblical accounts point to the fall of the year as the most likely time of Jesus’ birth, based on the conception and birth of John the Baptist.

Since Elizabeth (John’s mother) was in her sixth month of pregnancy when Jesus was conceived (Luke 1:24-36), we can determine the approximate time of year Jesus was born if we know when John was born. John’s father, Zacharias, was a priest serving in the Jerusalem temple during the course of Abijah (Luke 1:5). Historical calculations indicate this course of service corresponded to June 13-19 in that year (The Companion Bible, 1974, Appendix 179, p. 200).

It was during this time of temple service that Zacharias learned that he and his wife Elizabeth would have a child (Luke 1:8-13). After he completed his service and travelled home, Elizabeth conceived (Luke 1:23-24). Assuming John’s conception took place near the end of June, adding nine months brings us to the end of March as the most likely time for John’s birth. Adding another six months (the difference in ages between John and Jesus) brings us to the end of September as the likely time of Jesus’ birth. 

I would also add that if lambs were in the field with shepherds in the middle east, it was NOT December.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Quoting Stephen Hawkings post by hand as my quoting just got frozen for some reason:

The biblical accounts point to the fall of the year as the most likely time of Jesus’ birth, based on the conception and birth of John the Baptist.

Since Elizabeth (John’s mother) was in her sixth month of pregnancy when Jesus was conceived (Luke 1:24-36), we can determine the approximate time of year Jesus was born if we know when John was born. John’s father, Zacharias, was a priest serving in the Jerusalem temple during the course of Abijah (Luke 1:5). Historical calculations indicate this course of service corresponded to June 13-19 in that year (The Companion Bible, 1974, Appendix 179, p. 200).

It was during this time of temple service that Zacharias learned that he and his wife Elizabeth would have a child (Luke 1:8-13). After he completed his service and travelled home, Elizabeth conceived (Luke 1:23-24). Assuming John’s conception took place near the end of June, adding nine months brings us to the end of March as the most likely time for John’s birth. Adding another six months (the difference in ages between John and Jesus) brings us to the end of September as the likely time of Jesus’ birth. 

I would also add that if lambs were in the field with shepherds in the middle east, it was NOT December.

Thanks - maybe she had a 11-12 month pregnancy like Bernadette. Also if she had an immaculate conception, anything is possible.

• Haha 1

On 09/02/2018 at 10:11 PM, ajond said:

Thanks - maybe she had a 11-12 month pregnancy like Bernadette. Also if she had an immaculate conception, anything is possible.

Depends what you think an immaculate conception is. I thought it related to the Roman Catholic doctrine that Mary was sinless (unlike the rest of humankind) throughout her life from the moment of her conception.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Depends what you think an immaculate conception is. I thought it related to the Roman Catholic doctrine that Mary was sinless (unlike the rest of humankind) throughout her life from the moment of her conception.

That is exactly what it means. Mary was said to have been conceived, lived and was taken into heaven without sin. The Catholic Church at least believes that Mary was free from original sin,  and thus immaculate  because God acted upon Mary from the moment of her conception to keep her pure to be the mother of Jesus.

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

On 12/02/2018 at 1:24 PM, Die Zimtzicke said:

That is exactly what it means. Mary was said to have been conceived, lived and was taken into heaven without sin. The Catholic Church at least believes that Mary was free from original sin,  and thus immaculate  because God acted upon Mary from the moment of her conception to keep her pure to be the mother of Jesus.

Also, Joseph played no part in Jesus' conception. Hence immaculate.

On 15/02/2018 at 2:05 AM, ajond said:

Also, Joseph played no part in Jesus' conception. Hence immaculate.

Nope. That's not what it means. It's Mary's conception, not Jesus' that the immaculate conception is about. Both her biological parents had their parts to play. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tensor said:

I just found out tonight that I've been cast in "The Grapes of Wrath" at a local theatre.   For those familiar with the novel (or movie)  I'll be playing Pa Joad, Tom's father.  

I will have to cut my hair and almost shave completely.  I'm 62 and the part calls for 50, which I can pull off without a beard (actually I will get to keep some stubble, to look grizzled).   For those who are not aware of what this means, here is a reference.

How exciting! Congratulations on being cast. We will be standing by to see how the play progresses. Break a leg!!!

• Like 1
  • It's a Tiara 1

12 hours ago, Tensor said:

I just found out tonight that I've been cast in "The Grapes of Wrath" at a local theatre.   For those familiar with the novel (or movie)  I'll be playing Pa Joad, Tom's father.  

I will have to cut my hair and almost shave completely.  I'm 62 and the part calls for 50, which I can pull off without a beard (actually I will get to keep some stubble, to look grizzled).   For those who are not aware of what this means, here is a reference.

The novel by John Steinbeck ?

Awesome to hear, hope everything goes well. 

Edited by Lagernisse
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

Yes it's an adaptation, rather faithful to the novel.  

"TO THE RED COUNTRY and part of the gray country of Oklahoma, the last rains came gently, and they did not cut the scarred earth. The plows crossed and recrossed the rivulet marks. The last rains lifted the corn quickly and scattered weed colonies and grass along the sides of the roads so that the gray country and the dark red country began to disappear under a green cover."

One of the best openings of a novel I've ever read.......I can hear this as an offstage narration to open the play.   Again, congratulations @Tensor !

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

"TO THE RED COUNTRY and part of the gray country of Oklahoma, the last rains came gently, and they did not cut the scarred earth. The plows crossed and recrossed the rivulet marks. The last rains lifted the corn quickly and scattered weed colonies and grass along the sides of the roads so that the gray country and the dark red country began to disappear under a green cover."

One of the best openings of a novel I've ever read.......I can hear this as an offstage narration to open the play.   Again, congratulations @Tensor !

The play starts a bit latter with,

"The dawn came, but no day.  In the morning the dust hung like fog.  Men stood by their fences and looked at the ruined corn, drying fast now, only a little green showing through the film of dust.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tensor said:

The play starts a bit latter with,

"The dawn came, but no day.  In the morning the dust hung like fog.  Men stood by their fences and looked at the ruined corn, drying fast now, only a little green showing through the film of dust.  

I love it!  As an aside, I have only seen the 1940 movie version once.  It does feature John Carradine, the dad of Keith Carradine who we all know plays Wyatt _____, Penny Hofstadter's dad!!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Who's the target audience do you think? Itty Bitty collectors?

I really don't care who the target audience is at all. Toys, no matter how cute, are not for me.

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic