Chit Chat: Season 11

Tensor

A bit surreal. I watched the first season of Suits at my sons recommendation. Mulroney children have roles at wedding.

http://www.timescolonist.com/mulroney-children-to-act-as-bridesmaid-page-boys-at-royal-wedding-1.23303957 

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a12846170/jessica-mulroney-facts/ 

And she is wearing a tiara lent by the Queen.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Odd. Here I am. Up at 4 am to watch the big wedding.

I'm taping it here, as the yard won't mow itself.  Hopefully I can watch it before hockey tonight.  GO BOLTS!

• Like 1

Watched some of it, nobody does Pomp and Circumstance like us Brits lol. Actually joking aside, I am quite proud of that, proud to be British.

Highlight for me was probably Harry having the Gurkha regiment to greet him at the church as a guard of honor. Harry has close ties to the Gurkhas, he served with them in Afghanistan.

Thought it was a nice blend of American and British influences during the ceremony. I think many were probably taken aback by the American Reverend's sermon including Her Majesty herself judging by her reaction. The Queen is deeply religious being the Head of the Church of England, Defender of the Faith and Head of the Anglican communion so I think a lot of the themes would have actually resonated with her, but perhaps she was taken aback by the delivery somewhat.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Watched some of it, nobody does Pomp and Circumstance like us Brits lol. Actually joking aside, I am quite proud of that, proud to be British.

Highlight for me was probably Harry having the Gurkha regiment to greet him at the church as a guard of honor. Harry has close ties to the Gurkhas, he served with them in Afghanistan.

Thought it was a nice blend of American and British influences during the ceremony. I think many were probably taken aback by the American Reverend's sermon including Her Majesty herself judging by her reaction. The Queen is deeply religious being the Head of the Church of England, Defender of the Faith and Head of the Anglican communion so I think a lot of the themes would have actually resonated with her, but perhaps she was taken aback by the delivery somewhat.

OK, I'm just not into weddings. I had mine in June/1980 and two of my daughter around 15 years ago. I'm weddinged out. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

9 hours ago, Jonny said:

Yeah, he quoted Martin Luther King on the redemptive power of love.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-5747877/Preacher-invokes-Martin-Luther-King-s-Power-Love-speech-royal-wedding.html 

9 hours ago, chucky said:

OK, I'm just not into weddings. I had mine in June/1980 and two of my daughter around 15 years ago. I'm weddinged out. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I don't care for TV weddings much. This was the real thing though. Even got people squirming a bit. Well worth watching here in British Columbia.  

Edited by djsurrey
sp
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Jonny said:

Such a great speech by the American reverend, it was truly awesome. I must say I'm really impressed with your Queen and Prince Philip, they are both over ninty years old and still going strong, just amazing.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jonny said:

I'll bet she saw some videos of him, first.

There is a wonderful post-wedding interview with Curry and Welby talking about the wedding.  It's a great clip.

As one guy tweeted - and it was retweeted by the Episcopal Church - said it was like having Metallica playing in Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.

Funniest tweet of the day was by an Irish liquor page:  

"Fair play to the Queen for not looking smug during 'God Save The Queen'. I'd have been swinging a scarf over my head, and shouting 'louder!'."

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

The bride and her mother have such queenly poise - lovely additions to the family.

LOVE this photograph:

gettyimages-959884882-1024-1526666771.jp

• Like 3

For those of you who noticed I wasn't here as much as I usually am (and for those who knew) I've been working on preparing the damage from Hurricane Irma (I know, back in September).   Most of the damage was due to the wind doing this:

IMG_0321.thumb.jpg.0e1b1f967e956568395fa52a203e8680.jpg

Then the rain coming in.  Into the ceiling, into the walls, into the carpet, into everything in my den.  I did an emergency evacuation of all the electronics (Desktop, laptop, UPS, backup drive, my PS4, my router, all that fun stuff.  During the storm, it looked like this:

IMG_0263.thumb.jpg.4cacf2b37811d86e2f712bd27afb8fe7.jpg

Until we lost power, then our carpet machine, which was sucking up water didn't work, the fan didn't work, so the carpet sat in water for a few days.   We also had this for damages:

IMG_0258.thumb.jpg.84ccc07718eb6edeb9cfe0d852e1de42.jpg

And this:

IMG_0395.thumb.jpg.3d8c7122ad39c8332d2c898312ae0580.jpg

And this:

IMG_0394.thumb.jpg.71af51e593b2889afe6dc3010911ac03.jpg

After a few days, the carpet began to smell rotten, and so we had to pull it up, leaving the room looking like this"

IMG_0393.thumb.jpg.0e74251ee084382267b5523ee7a06e21.jpg

So, we had to contact our insurance company, and they came out, to look at it, then it took a couple of weeks before the check came, then the check had to go to our mortgage company and then it finally came back to us.  At that point, we contacted a roofer (the rest of the roof had lost about a third of our shingles) and they finally came out (they were behind with all the damage in the area) and finally fixed it.  After that, it was Christmas and then I had the trip to see the taping.  After I got back we started work on the room   Had to pull off the walls (which were only eighth inch Luan) to check for mold and any other damage, so the room looked like this:

IMG_0399.thumb.jpg.0ab4cb2a6d42426dc6e1960884411e57.jpg

IMG_0400.thumb.jpg.42657f765d130515d8440ed8993b2a48.jpg

No, that's not me...  We did find some damage in the walls, repaired that.  Note there wasn't any insulation in the ceilings or walls, so we put some in, then put wallboard ( or sheetrock, or any of the few other names) on the ceiling and walls.   Then we had to put the screw and joint mud up, then the texture, then paint.  We also had to replace the ledge just under the windows.   Then we replaced the window from the kitchen to the den (the den is an added on room) with a bookcase in the den (for the kitchen we boarded it up, with wallboard, then texture, them paint, then I put up some spice racks my wife wanted.  Once the painting was done, then we had to put new tile down (this was going to replace the carpet).  At the same time, we were going to replace the carpet in our dining area, and the tile in the kitchen.  Well, we finally have all that done.  Here is the finished product.  This is looking to the back of my den.    You can see my new dest, my new desk chair, the bookcase we put in and the curtains that replaced the old worn out blinds.   You can also see my message chair our little table and my wife's rooking chair, along with a bit of the tile.  

IMG_0353.thumb.jpg.be11a7bb2e1df0a344ed8d745f283ee3.jpg

Here is the view looking toward the front of the room.   My TV, router, PS4, UPS and also my ethernet and TV antennae cables.  For reference you can see my message chair and the lamp shade from the first picture.  This is a better look at our wood look tile and if you look just to the left of the lampshade, you can see the tile we put in our dining area and our kitchen.  

So, now that room is all finished.  I have several other things I have to repair (our storage shed, our awnings, and then this fall, have the outside of our home pressure washed and repainted.   But most of this is now finally done.  

IMG_0352.jpg

• Like 6
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Carm6773 said:

@Tensor, wow!!!  Got the repairs done just in time for this hurricane season, I see.

heheheheh, yeah.  Fortunately, we now have a new roof, they also added straps to all the joists, all our windows are Miami-Dade rated (won't shatter with a 2 x 4 at 145 MPH) and we now have hurricane doors.  So, unless it's hits with winds over 190, we're in good shape.  

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 2

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic