The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Chit Chat: Season 11

11 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

She might have felt like that, but we have no way of knowing. The position of Princess of Wales carries with it a lot of opportunity to be useful in the world. She probably thought it was worth it. I vaguely remember her on newsreels. She was an old lady then, with a reputation for taking duty very seriously. As Queen she once visited a business run by my great-great-grandfather. It was a cheap lodging house used by low-income people passing through town looking for work etc. Perhaps it was one up from what we'd call a homeless shelter nowadays.  My father was a small boy at the time. HM was impressed by the cleanliness of the place and even in his eighties Dad could remember her saying, 'You could eat off the floor'. That sort of thing means a lot to ordinary people.

What a great story!!!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, joyceraye said:

She might have felt like that, but we have no way of knowing.

Well, it is generally accepted that she found George ( and rightly so by any account I've ever read or anyone I've ever talked to!) a  better prospect than his brother and she did feel an enormous duty to England. She really loved England even when she was just Princess Mary of Teck.  They weren't marrying for love for each other in that family nine times out of ten anyway, and if you developed affection for your spouse it was a pleasant bonus. They did...probably because they had a lot in common. Both were dutiful people, homebodies and not particularly social (their favorite place was Sandringham) and both were massively shy (they wrote each other letters whenever they had to express their feelings about anything, some of which are charming in and of themselves) but  their inability to express their feelings probably didn't help their children.

Looks like Johnny will not have that dilemma now and will be free to commit to a new TBBT deal should he wish to do so:

Edited by Jonny

5 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

So maybe it's not always about ratings after all, at least with ABC.

Yeah,

ABC is going to lose a lot of revenue over this decision, but morally they may end up being winners.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Looks like Johnny will not have that dilemma now and will be free to commit to a new TBBT deal should he wish to do so:

Well deserved cancellation.  I do feel sorry for the 150 or so folks likely involved in the production who now do not have Jobs.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MsGreentea said:

Well deserved cancellation.  I do feel sorry for the 150 or so folks likely involved in the production who now do not have Jobs.  

That's a given in this business. Many shows only get one season. They'll all find something else, hopefully. Personally I remember her national anthem debacle and coudlnt' understand why anyone would trust her after that.

3 minutes ago, chucky said:

you can do better than this. None of that was done out of friendship. They were all done because of social convention!

I'm astounded that you can say that about EVERY example I gave. Besides, when has Sheldon cared about social convention and his social skills?

1 minute ago, Jonny said:

So it was just social convention when Sheldon heard that Penny was thinking of breaking up with Leonard again so he went to Penny pleading with her not to hurt his friend by breaking up with him?

THANK YOU!

4 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

ABC has cancelled Roseanne because Roseanne Barr tweeted something racist. I feel sad for the rest of the cast, especially Sara, Laurie and John.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/roseanne-canceled-at-abc-racist-tweet-1115412 

Yeah, read that too. She apologized but seriously, she should have known better, especially in the current climate.

• Like 2

I stole this right from a Twitter account I follow.  

“Roseanne Barr, 2018: I apologize for comparing Valerie Jarrett, a black woman, to an ape. I should have known better. Forgive me—my joke was in bad taste

Roseanne Barr, 2013: I apologize for comparing Susan Rice, a black woman, to an ape. I should have known be...”

Edited by MsGreentea
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MsGreentea said:

I stole this right from a Twitter account I follow.  

“Roseanne Barr, 2018: I apologize for comparing Valerie Jarrett, a black woman, to an ape. I should have known better. Forgive me—my joke was in bad taste

Roseanne Barr, 2013: I apologize for comparing Susan Rice, a black woman, to an ape. I should have known be...”

It's said that she was ordered to apologize by ABC but due to the backlash, they canceled her anyway

2 hours ago, Jonny said:

If Roseanne Barr tried to be funny, she failed totally in my humble opinion. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, No Regrets said:

ABC has cancelled Roseanne because Roseanne Barr tweeted something racist. I feel sad for the rest of the cast, especially Sara, Laurie and John.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/roseanne-canceled-at-abc-racist-tweet-1115412 

Me too. Poor Sara has received a lot of backlash on Twitter 😥

12 minutes ago, BigBangEnthusiast said:

Me too. Poor Sara has received a lot of backlash on Twitter 😥

Why, what did she do?

Or is it backlash by association?

Edited by son-goku5

3 hours ago, Jonny said:

Somehow I am not surprised...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, son-goku5 said:

Why, what did she do?

Or is it backlash by association?

Backlash by association and saying she's a coward for not standing up to Roseanne. 

Edited by BigBangEnthusiast

As usual Roseanne opened her mouth (per se), inserted her foot. This time it was bitten off. I can't believe it, two good things happened the last two days, Alberto turned out to be a dud and Roseanne got cancelled. 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonny said:

I've been reading about this. Is it an April 1st joke nearly two months late ? Somebody's rude in real life  about a politician and tptb throw the whole cast out of work and deprive millions of a comedy in a world that isn't exactly overflowing with good ones ? In the last episode somebody was sarcastic about the president's spelling and nobody minded. I was just getting into this series. 

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I've been reading about this. Is it an April 1st joke nearly two months late ? Somebody's rude in real life  about a politician and tptb throw the whole cast out of work and deprive millions of a comedy in a world that isn't exactly overflowing with good ones ? In the last episode somebody was sarcastic about the president's spelling and nobody minded. I was just getting into this series. 

What she said was highly offensive, she later apologised but obviously ABC thought the damage was done and decided to move on. That's their decision at the end of the day, they are a business and will have weighed up the pro's and con's of making such a decision.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, mirs1 said:

They wouId have faced massive backlash if they didn't do anything about it, advertisers and viewers couId have boycotted Roseanne and the other ABC shows;  aII thing considered, it was the decent thing to do (as I think it wasn't just a rude joke, it was a racist comment, and judging from the reactions I've seen on Iine that was the generaI opinion) but aIso saved ABC a Iot of troubIes and a Iot of money

Are they removing jimmy Kimmel'?  SNL history? Well now TBBT is safe in regards to ratings now.

• Like 2

That was Roseanne, acting foolishly without  contemplating the consequences of her actions. A lot of people are out of work due to her immaturity. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, MsGreentea said:

ABC does not own it.  The production company could find another buyer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Capt. Hilts said:

ABC does not own it.  The production company could find another buyer.

That's such a large gamble, seeing as Roseanne is loose cannon.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, chucky said:

Is that what such is called now. I think you are too kind. But it is amazing that huge enterprise can be shut down by one text string. That’s the world now. It’s changed. 

Maybe there’s another channel that will pick it up - because such sentiments are on brand. Who knows. They are out there. 

And for the associates...

”the standard you walk past is the standard you accept” 

- Lieutenant General David Morrison

Chief of Army (Australia)

Jun 12, 2013

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, chucky said:

I doubt most people in the world would have heard of the bloke she was poking fun at  (Has he actually complained himself ?) nor understand that her tweet was offensive but for the reaction to it. I still don't know what it means. Perhaps they can sell it somewhere else and not show it in the USA until the fuss has died down.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1