The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Chit Chat: Season 11

26 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I doubt most people in the world would have heard of the bloke she was poking fun at  (Has he actually complained himself ?) nor understand that her tweet was offensive but for the reaction to it. I still don't know what it means. Perhaps they can sell it somewhere else and not show it in the USA until the fuss has died down.

It was a woman in the Obama administration. So it’s huge. Loose canon isn’t the phrase for Ms Barr. 

Its something for all the cast to think about. It was a known risk all associated with the show took - she wasn’t silent about her views.

edit: the Roseanne show has now been pulled off air in Australia.  

Edit2. So it’s not just me heheh

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I doubt most people in the world would have heard of the bloke she was poking fun at  (Has he actually complained himself ?) nor understand that her tweet was offensive but for the reaction to it. I still don't know what it means. Perhaps they can sell it somewhere else and not show it in the USA until the fuss has died down.

It makes no difference who's heard of the bloke or whether that person complained. The TPTB rightfully found what her royal majesty Roseanne did as offensive and inexcusable. Bottom line is she ain't the boss and the real bosses canned her. In the end a lot of people are out of work because of her, and I'm betting she didn't even think of the cast and crew.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chucky said:

As usual Roseanne opened her mouth (per se), inserted her foot. This time it was bitten off. I can't believe it, two good things happened the last two days, Alberto turned out to be a dud and Roseanne got cancelled. 😉

i don't think it is a good thing it got cancelled. I have really enjoyed it since it returned. It was refreshingly honest about life issues. And it was nice seeing Johnny back on it again. But Rosseanne cant keep her mouth closed. Roseanne said some other things on Twitter while the show was on. I I mean she used to say such outlandish things back in the day. But in this day in age, you just can't with a public profile be saying things like that. That is just the world we live in today. IT was like with millenials accusing Friends of being Homophobic etc. It is not bt in the 90s you had for liberation and freedom. I just think shows today have fallen victim to the cultural evoloution in 2018. And your right about her not thinking about anyone else. Seeing she just cost alot of ppl their jobs. 

As for Sheldon. I can't gather what the conservation was about. But I gather about his social conventions. While I don't think Sheldon had any impact on Penny not dumping Leonard. I Do beleive he was geniunely concerned for his little buddy. When he went to Penny, to plead with her not to dump him. I actually thought the scene was lovely. But that is just me.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, chucky said:

It makes no difference who's heard of the bloke or whether that person complained. The TPTB rightfully found what her royal majesty Roseanne did as offensive and inexcusable. Bottom line is she ain't the boss and the real bosses canned her. In the end a lot of people are out of work because of her, and I'm betting she didn't even think of the cast and crew.

i was just getting into the series and was pleased to read they'd be making more. Just as she could afford a new knee too. Wasn't Johnny going to be in some episodes ? Ah well, I suppose what with the demise of Living Biblically as well, all the more Johnny for us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

i was just getting into the series and was pleased to read they'd be making more. Just as she could afford a new knee too. Wasn't Johnny going to be in some episodes ? Ah well, I suppose what with the demise of Living Biblically as well, all the more Johnny for us.

As a fan of this show (TBBT) I would like to think/hope that both experiences might have been an eye opener to him which might lead him to consider how secure this show is and perhaps commiting to a new deal but we shall see.

I got the impression the Roseanne show and its success could have played a role in the future/or future direction (for example if Johnny had left for Roseanne) of this show, so to see it end I have to say I am kind of happy about this news in some ways. Obviously feel sad about people who worked on the show as actors and production staff who have now lost their jobs down to the actions of one individual.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

It was a woman in the Obama administration. So it’s huge. Loose canon isn’t the phrase for Ms Barr. 

Its something for all the cast to think about. It was a known risk all associated with the show took - she wasn’t silent about her views.

edit: the Roseanne show has now been pulled off air in Australia.  

Edit2. So it’s not just me heheh

A woman in the Obama administration the tweet was aimed at ? Not even somebody in office now ? Still a politician perhaps ? For some reason not fair game ?

Do you think the Australians knew what the tweet meant ? I certainly didn't. I've read it on the yahoo page but there's no explanation of what it's about.  The TV company only made nine episodes of Roseanne so if they've shown nine it doesn't mean it was pulled. Eight were commissioned but a ninth was made due its popularity. If they've shown less than the nine, it won't stop Australians watching the rest if they want to. It's on the internet. I don't suppose it'll reach the UK now. They won't bother buying nine episodes.

I hope all the cast of TBBT close down their twitter accounts. I don't want one of them to open his or her mouth too wide.The thought of losing that is too much to contemplate.

18 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

A woman in the Obama administration the tweet was aimed at ? Not even somebody in office now ? Still a politician perhaps ? For some reason not fair game ?

Do you think the Australians knew what the tweet meant ? I certainly didn't. I've read it on the yahoo page but there's no explanation of what it's about.  The TV company only made nine episodes of Roseanne so if they've shown nine it doesn't mean it was pulled. Eight were commissioned but a ninth was made due its popularity. If they've shown less than the nine, it won't stop Australians watching the rest if they want to. It's on the internet. I don't suppose it'll reach the UK now. They won't bother buying nine episodes.

I hope all the cast of TBBT close down their twitter accounts. I don't want one of them to open his or her mouth too wide.The thought of losing that is too much to contemplate.

Well, if you know the context you’d probably get it.  If you don’t  get the insult then... well. And not a politician. An employee. Not even now in office. That’s a part of it. And it’s about principles to a large degree. See my Morrison quote. And, for the corporate decision see capitalism.

And if the cast show who they are by Twitter then we will know who they are, not who their characters are. That’s an upside. 😀

Edited by Nogravitasatall
Attempted clarity
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Well, if you know the context you’d probably get it.  If you don’t  get the insult then... well. And not a politician. An employee. Not even now in office. That’s a part of it. And it’s about principles to a large degree. See my Morrison quote. And, for the corporate decision see capitalism.

And if the cast show who they are by Twitter then we will know who they are, not who their characters are. That’s an upside. 😀

I just searched for Morrison and found your quote of his quote. I don't see the connection.

Have no grasp whatsoever of what you're saying, sorry. Australians and Brits usually understand one another.

I suppose the whole issue must be an ' Only in America' thing. 

46 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

hope all the cast of TBBT close down their twitter accounts. I don't want one of them to open his or her mouth too wide.The thought of losing that is too much to contemplate.

I don't think the cast of TBBT have too much to worry about. They are not Roseanne Barr and they appreciate their fellow cast mates and crew.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I just searched for Morrison and found your quote of his quote. I don't see the connection.

Have no grasp whatsoever of what you're saying, sorry. Australians and Brits usually understand one another.

I suppose the whole issue must be an ' Only in America' thing. 

Maybe that is a good thing it's an "America thing". Not to be rude, but whether Brits, Australians, German's or Italians get it or not doesn't matter. Just as we don't matter when it comes to your country's TV shows. TPTB will make the decisions about the future of their shows no matter what country is involved. That's my opinion, you can agree or disagree.

5 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

I’ll try. The tweet was widely understood to be racist. As a principle, in many societies racism is not held to be a good thing generally. It has some proponents but in the large it is seen as a social cost, not a social benefit. Out of principle the network canned the show, in accordance with that generally held principle -  that racism is not a good thing. If they didn’t uphold that principle, given they had the power to do so then they would have been demonstrating that racism was acceptable to them.

Most people don’t like to be thought of as  being racist. By contagion the network(s) run the risk of being seen as racist if they promote content by a recognised racist. Unless they want to do that, they won’t. They want all audiences.

Roseanne knew there might be consequences: she had been told. But she persisted. And there were consequences beyond her person. This was not outside what could be expected. 

I don’t think this is an only in America thing - but it’s a big country and they do go big. :) This is big.

Out on this. 

I couldn't have said it better myself and I'm out as well.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MsGreentea said:

Well deserved cancellation.  I do feel sorry for the 150 or so folks likely involved in the production who now do not have Jobs.  

Yes 

7 hours ago, MsGreentea said:

Well deserved cancellation.  I do feel sorry for the 150 or so folks likely involved in the production who now do not have Jobs.  

Yes  Her comment on twitter was extremely hurtful and degrading. And I agree I'm sorry for all the people that now have lost their jobs due to her stupidity.

7 hours ago, Jonny said:

So it was just social convention when Sheldon heard that Penny was thinking of breaking up with Leonard again so he went to Penny pleading with her not to hurt his friend by breaking up with him?

I think he went to Penny because breaking up with Leonard was unacceptable to him. He doesn't like change and again was only thinking about himself.  Even her new shampoo scent was unacceptable to him as if he is supposed to have a say in that decision too.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mario D. said:

I think he went to Penny because breaking up with Leonard was unacceptable to him. He doesn't like change and again was only thinking about himself.  Even her new shampoo scent was unacceptable to him as if he is supposed to have a say in that decision too.

I agree he diddn't want Penny to break up with Leonard because he hates Change. It was like in 9x03 The 2003 Approximatation. Lenny only stayed in 4A to appease Sheldon. But I disagree that it was not geniune. I really beleive he did not want too see Leonard get hurt. Leonard is like a brother to him. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BigBangEnthusiast said:

Backlash by association and saying she's a coward for not standing up to Roseanne. 

Sara is the costar, Roseanne is the star. You can stand up all you want, but she's still gonna do what she wants and damn the consequences. 

2 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Obviously not fair game. To say that a black woman has ape-like arms (or something to that effect) is unacceptable.

• Like 3

They could not just kill her character? Perhaps S.G. should reboot The Conners without Roseanne..

Edited by djsurrey

10 hours ago, MsGreentea said:

Thes reason they don’t have jobs is Disney. The reason they had jobs was because  of Roseanne 

10 hours ago, Jonny said:

Yeah,

ABC is going to lose a lot of revenue over this decision, but morally they may end up being winners.

If they were concerned about morality the show never would have been on the air.

1 hour ago, chucky said:

Sara is the costar, Roseanne is the star. You can stand up all you want, but she's still gonna do what she wants and damn the consequences. 

It seems Sara has a career because of Roseanne

I can't stand the woman so I'm glad she's out of a job. Her anti-Palestinian tweets drive me nuts, but that's another issue entirely. That said, I do think there's a double standard going on in Hollywood. There are so many celebs who I think shouldn't be able to work again ever (hello, Woody Allen and Roman Polanski) but for some reason nothing happens to them. That drives me nuts as well. It feels like there's no true justice anymore. 

I'm sorry the rest of the cast is receiving backlash over this, though I do wonder if they've ever looked at Roseanne's Twitter account ever...? Cause that's a dead giveaway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carlos said:

Obviously not fair game. To say that a black woman has ape-like arms (or something to that effect) is unacceptable.

Free speech should mean that is nothing is unacceptable.

Sticks and stones and all that, but the world is full of snowflakes now and hurt feelings are all that matter...

images.png

Edited by JE7
  • Run to India 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, JE7 said:

Sticks and stones and all that, but the world is full of snowflakes now and hurt feelings are all that matter...

Respectfully, I think your constitution suggests free speech means the government can’t limit your speech. Employers have many rights over their employees. NFL to whit. And respectfully kneeling isn’t what Ms Barr was up to. And in this case hurt feelings impact capitalism. So it’s not just hurt feelings. Remarkably there’s also a whiff of principle.

But she can still do Twitter, if she’s game.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, JE7 said:

images.png

There's "free speech" and then there's "You can say anything". Free speech everywhere doesn't mean that you simply can say anything you like. If you yell "Fire!" or "There's a bomb in here!" in a crowded theater or club, and someone gets hurt or killed in the ensuing panic, you will be held liable for any damage caused and no judge will accept a free speech defense.

In Germany we have free speech (or freedom of opinion, as it's called). But the first article in our constitution is "A person's dignity is inviolate", so you have limits here as well what you can say.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Jonny said:

Looks like Johnny will not have that dilemma now and will be free to commit to a new TBBT deal should he wish to do so:

I am not a "Roseanne" fan but it broke my heart this tweet from Sara Gilbert. It is bad when people suffer consequences from others actions...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, djsurrey said:

They could not just kill her character? Perhaps S.G. should reboot The Conners without Roseanne..

Jim Parsons is pitching something Iike that, ahahah!

More seriousIy, though, the canceIIation Ieft a huge hoIe in ABC schedule, so maybe they'II arrange something Iike that; anyway, I think writing her off and continuing with the show it might be equally controversiaI, and not very profitable;  I guess they'II take some time to see if that's a viable solution

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Koala Face 1

9 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

More seriousIy, though, the canceIIation Ieft a huge hoIe in ABC schedule, so maybe they'II arrange something Iike that; anyway, I think writing her off and continuing with the show it might be equally controversiaI, and not very profitable;  I guess they'II take some time to see if that's a viable solution

I don't really get the popularity of the series.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, son-goku5 said:

There's "free speech" and then there's "You can say anything". Free speech everywhere doesn't mean that you simply can say anything you like. If you yell "Fire!" or "There's a bomb in here!" in a crowded theater or club, and someone gets hurt or killed in the ensuing panic, you will be held liable for any damage caused and no judge will accept a free speech defense.

In Germany we have free speech (or freedom of opinion, as it's called). But the first article in our constitution is "A person's dignity is inviolate", so you have limits here as well what you can say.

Sorry but no you don't have free speech in Germany at least not a Americans define it. I live in the American South we are not proud of the klu klux klan but we can't be imprisoned for talking about them, displaying their sigils or collecting their paraphernalia. In your country you had the Nazis and can go to prison for those things. If you can be imprisoned just for saying something that's not free speach.

The "fire" exception is because it could cause a panic that would cause PHYSICAL injury to others this instance dosent meet that criteria. I an a firm believer in the old saying "I can hate what you say but I will defend your right to say it.

ABC is indeed within their rights to do what they did but I consider it both an over reaction  and honestly an excuse to do what they wanted to anyway cancel a popular program which didn't mesh with TPTB at the networks political agenda.

Edited by JE7
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1