The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Chit Chat: Season 11

7 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

@serena_1995 @Tensor @Tripper Okay. I apologize for any misuse use of the new emojis. And @serena_1995, I didn't mean any negativity toward you and I am very sorry to cause offense. I agree with your posts for the most part. It is just that I am in a period of being fed up with what I myself alone see as the " Sheldonification" of TBBT over the last few years. This may be as equally unpopular, but I can't stand Sheldon and if I found myself in a group that had someone like him who belittles most of those around him for his own advancement, I would avoid him like the plague. This is a shortcoming  on my part I know full well. 

Again, I apologize to you @serena_1995 most ardently. Never hold back on your opinion or your views or your love of a character. I will never let my ardor for Penny & Leonard lessen and you should continue to,put forth what you enjoy about Sheldon, to hel* with what a pinhead like me thinks or says.

@hokie3457 : I agree with most of what you say except for the last paragraph. While I didn't know exactly what you meant when you posted the sad face at Serena's post, I don't see any harm in it. Furthermore I don't even know why the negative reactions were disabled, as those are sometimes needed to described what you might think of a post. Otherwise, why use emojis at all? Isn't the purpose to give the reader of a post more options than just a simple like?

@serena_1995 : If I were you I wouldn't worry about what you post. People are going to have reactions one way or another, but as far as I know critical or even negative posts are permitted except for the Shipper Threads. I don't know about anybody else, but I love reading your posts because regardless of your fandom you always present things in a very reasonable and articulate fashion, and while I don't always agree with what you say I always pay attention because there's always insight in what you express. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JE7 said:

I think there  is to much emphasis placed on not "hurting anyones feelings" in the forum now. Of course IMO

It just stifles the discussion 

I totally agree that it stifles discussion. We don't want to get like a few of the fan fic or fan art sites where if you are critical of anything at all from a plot hole to a grammar mistake the person gets very defensive and all their friends tell you you're mean.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JE7 said:

I think there  is to much emphasis placed on not "hurting anyones feelings" in the forum now. Of course IMO

It just stifles the discussion 

28 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I totally agree that it stifles discussion. We don't want to get like a few of the fan fic or fan art sites where if you are critical of anything at all from a plot hole to a grammar mistake the person gets very defensive and all their friends tell you you're mean.

I'd be interesting in know why either of you think it stifles discussion.   If Poster A says they don't like Cinnamon, because she appears too much, or barks too much, they are free to say that.  If Poster B disagrees, they are free to say they disagree, and offer examples to their disagreement.  What's not OK is Poster B telling Poster B, their disliking Cinnamon is stupid, or Poster B is stupid or any other derogatory remark about Poster B or their posts.  Limiting derogatory remarks about other posters, or groups of posters,  is not stifling discussion, it's just preventing bad behavior.    

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Tensor said:

Serena, the actual negative reactions were disable, when Tripper installed the update with the new reactions.   "Sad" isn't necessarily a "negative" reaction.   As we have no idea what Hokie meant by the "sad" reaction,  you may have to wait until he clarifies.   I'll pass this along (in case he doesn't see this).  (/color)

"Run to India" kind of appears negative. What am I missing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Tensor said:

I'd be interesting in know why either of you think it stifles discussion.   If Poster A says they don't like Cinnamon, because she appears too much, or barks too much, they are free to say that.  If Poster B disagrees, they are free to say they disagree, and offer examples to their disagreement.  What's not OK is Poster B telling Poster B, their disliking Cinnamon is stupid, or Poster B is stupid or any other derogatory remark about Poster B or their posts.  Limiting derogatory remarks about other posters, or groups of posters,  is not stifling discussion, it's just preventing bad behavior.    

Simple if we say anything negative especially about sheldon it gets "hidden" and the poster gets told off because someone was offended, our opinion is judged as less important than theirs. And lets be honest if you arent a shamy you are a second class citizen in this fandom, even to the shows writers and producers .

I think the original post speaks volumes it basically said i may not post if people react negatively. The world is not a "safe space" if you cant handel the heat stay out of the kitchen 

Edited by JE7
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, JE7 said:

Simple if we say anything negative especially about sheldon it gets "hidden" because someone was offended, our opinion is judged as less important than theirs. And lets be honest if you arent a shamy you are a second class citizen in this fandom.

you want to say something negative about Sheldon, feel free.  No one's posts are ever hidden because of a negative opinion of a character( unless, of course it's in a ship zone) Now, if a member give a negative opinion, of a character, and then goes on to comment negatively about another member, or group of members, then yes, it'll be hidden or edited.  Not because their opinion is less important, but because they couldn't follow the rules. 

20 minutes ago, JE7 said:

The world is not a "safe space" if you cant handel a different opinion than yours thats just childish, words are NOT violence no matter what your collage professor said and cant hurt you

We get all sorts complaints, by both Shamys and Lenny's, concerning negative comments about characters.  And, unless there is a rules violation, we look them over and move on.  While not being able to handle a difference of opinion might seem childish to some, to others, being childish might include not being able to voice an opinion, without resorting to name calling and/or negative personal comments to and about other members.  While words may not be violence, negative personal comments can make a forum a less than enjoyable experience.  If someone needs to resort to name calling, and/or negative comments, as these are considered rules violations here, it's not the place to resort to that kind of negativity. 

Then why were negative emojis disabled from the start? Because peoples feelings might get hurt if someone disagrees? Forgive me if i take your reassurances with a healthy dose of salt, because we definitely see it differently and since you have the power of the purple text i will shut up before i get in trouble.

The End.

Edited by JE7
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Tensor said:

Tensor: while I agree that derogatory remarks about other posters may need to be limited to keep things civil I believe derogatory comments or actually negative comments about posts should be kept so there is a feeling at least that provided it is done in the appropriate threads we can all have our own opinions. Maybe that's what you're saying as well...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tensor said:

I'd be interesting in know why either of you think it stifles discussion

Someone on the original thread was saying they might not post as much because of the possibility of people reacting negatively to their posts. That would, if it's true, stifle discussion.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Someone on the original thread was saying they might not post as much because of the possibility of people reacting negatively to their posts. That would, if it's true, stifle discussion.

But the comments that particular question was directed to, was people getting their feeling hurt by negative comments about the posters or just derogatory comments about their posts, or simply leaving negative emojis.   I pointed out rebuttals and disagreeing has always been allowed.   If you want to be negative about a plot hole, feel free.  If their friends tell you you're mean, that is against the rules and a kind of negativity that ISN'T allowed.  What also isn't allowed is being derogatory about another persons post.   

Take the comment, "I think 4A should be completely redesigned."

Saying you disagree, and giving cognizant reasons for your disagreement is fine, and that's a negative reaction to a post.  You can even just say you disagree, and it would be fine.  Saying "Your idea is stupid", or something similar, isn't fine.  We feel the latter is what stifles discussion. There is a difference between name calling, or being derogatory about posts, and rebutting a post with ideas.      Do you really think simply leaving a negative emoji is conducive to fruitful discussion? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I learned how to block people out of my feed that I felt were overly negative about the show. This has help me. I like the new emoticons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Really? I am around here for one whole  year by now and happened many times people reacting negatively about my thoughts on show.Negatively doesn’t mean offensively. That’s why I am still here and be ready for the fact sometimes people could not agree with me. It happens and imo it makes part of communication process among people.

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 1
  • It's a Tiara 1

1 hour ago, spidergirl said:

Really? I am around here for one whole  year by now and happened many times people reacting negatively about my thoughts on show.Negatively doesn’t mean offensively. That’s why I am still here and be ready for the fact sometimes people could not agree with me. It happens and imo it makes part of communication process among people.

4 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

^^ Do you  think telling someone to "Run to India" or wherever is  really a healthy discussion ? 

Im always open to negative replies and disagreements. No doubt.  In my original post , I was only specifically talking about negative emojis, nothing else. 

How would you feel if someone repeatedly gave you a negative emoji for "run to india" on every  post you made from now on, just for the fun  of it  ? Im not saying you have to get hurt by that,  but it doesnt really add anything to the discussion. 

I know most posters are reasonable and would use negative emojis only if they genuinely disagree with the content of the post, but it was just something that occurred to me -a tiny possibility that it can be abused  as a fun easy way to attack posters personally based on which characters/ships they like- without ever needing to post /explain why.  

I think there is a difference between disagreeing about opinions/content of the show and attacking another poster personally or trolling.

That said , I dont have a big  problem with it , because it doesnt really affect the poster's reputation score or anything !

Edited by serena_1995
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

^^ Do you  think telling someone to "Run to India" or wherever is  really a healthy discussion ? 

Im always open to negative replies and disagreements. No doubt.  In my original post , I was only specifically talking about negative emojis, nothing else. 

How would you feel if someone repeatedly gave you a negative emoji for "run to india" on every  post you made from now on, just for the fun  of it  ? Im not saying you have to get hurt by that,  but it doesnt really add anything to the discussion. 

I know most posters are reasonable and would use negative emojis only if they genuinely disagree with the content of the post, but it was just something that occurred to me -a tiny possibility that it can be abused  as a fun easy way to attack posters personally based on which characters/ships they like- without ever needing to post /explain why.  

I think there is a difference between disagreeing about opinions/content of the show and attacking another poster personally or trolling.

That said , I dont have a big  problem with it , because it doesnt really affect the poster's reputation score or anything !

Ha, I was also visibly irritated at this "Run to India" icon and I decided to look at it as a joke. But I can follow your thoughts pretty well.

people1.gif.c464f526976dc37b683964559242afa9.gif

...well, you know. :shy:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, serena_1995 said:

Well, surely I would not enjoy it. But I doubt someone here would do that repeatdly to same people.  It would seem like stalking and surely forum rules dont allow it, right? Or it would be childish at least.

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 3

Penny's "mad face" was my idea. But not with the connotation "Run to India". Actually I thought one could use this face to express approval/agreement when someone writes something like "this episode was really bad imo" or "character xy was really a jerk in this episode". Obviously this wasn't really well thought out and it clearly can be misused. Sorry!

• Like 4
  • Run to India 1

2 hours ago, luminous said:

Penny's "mad face" was my idea. But not with the connotation "Run to India". Actually I thought one could use this face to express approval/agreement when someone writes something like "this episode was really bad imo" or "character xy was really a jerk in this episode". Obviously this wasn't really well thought out and it clearly can be misused. Sorry!

Had to give you a "run to India". Kidding.

• Haha 2

To be quite honest I've posted the Penny emoji quite often. And not to express negativity. I just thought the expression is funny. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

To be quite honest I've posted the Penny emoji quite often. And not to express negativity. I just thought the expression is funny. 

I thought that could be the case. In general it is just not so clear as the other emojies.

_____edit ___combined posts_______________

There are filming Dead Pool 2 in Vancouver and the on location shots are closing some streets. In my younger days I might have gone down to have a look.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3652172/deadpool-2-filming-leads-to-downtown-vancouver-road-closures-this-week/ 

Edited by djsurrey

3 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

In summary: I think the new emojis are a bad idea and do not contribute much. I preferred the Like button much more. For example what does the Koala Face mean exactly? And the It's a tiara? If they are signs of approval why not just have the like button for those?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Carlos said:

In summary: I think the new emojis are a bad idea and do not contribute much. I preferred the Like button much more. For example what does the Koala Face mean exactly? And the It's a tiara? If they are signs of approval why not just have the like button for those?

The like post is still there, the heart one.

I use that for most posts, but in the Shamy thread I use the Tiara or the Koala Face as a 'like' in that thread. That's what we have been using it for in that thread.

How about suggesting to Tripper a famous Leonard Cheesy grin? There are hundreds of them throughout these 10 years, and it's clear what it should be used for and what it represents.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Carlos said:

Nobody forces you to use the extra emojis - they are just a bit of fun to give the like a bit more nuance for anyone who wants to use it. If you want the standard like option then just use the heart and be done with it.

Koala face and the tiara are really not that hard to figure out when you think about what they meant in the show: Sheldon made that kind of dreamy heart-eyes face whenever he was watching/thinking about cute koalas because he loves them so much, and Amy was super excited about the tiara because she loved the gift so much. Pretty straight forward as a reaction, imho.

If you want any other faces to be added (and seeing the trouble with Penny's mad face I guess a positive reaction face would be better) make a suggestion here:

ETA: @Jonnybeat me to it. whoops

• Like 3
  • Koala Face 1

Instead of these ambiguous emojis they should have just added a dislike to go with the like but I guess that would be seen as "mean" 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, JE7 said:

Instead of these ambiguous emojis they should have just added a dislike to go with the like but I guess that would be seen as "mean" 

I'm glad they didn't include a dislike option it would of gotten abused especially between ships

Also why is it we only have Sheldon, Amy and Penny? what about the others? then again i have no idea what Sheldon's and Amy's are supposed to represent. Penny's i'm assuming is if you are mad or don't like the comment

Edited by Zephon75