The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Chit Chat: Season 11

What are Samantha Bee's ratings compared to TBBT ratings on TBS?

Edited by Chrismo

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:47 PM, chucky said:

In all actuality, that remark is unacceptable no matter who it is aimed at, black, white, brown, or yellow.

Thank you so much, chucky, couldn't have said it better myself.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:50 AM, JE7 said:

Free speech should mean that is nothing is unacceptable.

Sticks and stones and all that, but the world is full of snowflakes now and hurt feelings are all that matter...

images.png

Well but that's not what free speech means. Not to mention that "why sticks and stones?" No. People shouldn't be talking shit about other people. And that has nothing to do with political correctness, as your picture implies. IMO, it has to do with not being a dick.

• Like 5
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

On 5/30/2018 at 12:50 AM, JE7 said:

Free speech should mean that is nothing is unacceptable.

Free speech means you can say want. But you better be ready for the consequences of your words and actions. Just ask Roseanne, she learned the hard way. I personally don't think any network will ever take a gamble of hiring her again. 

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:17 AM, Chrismo said:

Thes reason they don’t have jobs is Disney. The reason they had jobs was because  of Roseanne 

If they were concerned about morality the show never would have been on the air.

It seems Sara has a career because of Roseanne

That is an over simplification. Sara has done more than just Roseanne, not to mention that she's the one who got the ball rolling for the show to come back after all these years. Furthermore, while it's true they have jobs is because of Roseanne, the fact of the matter is that they don't also because of her. Precisely because of her. Irrefutably because of her. It is her fault and her fault only. Roseanne is old enough and has been in the public eye for long enough to know that she forced ABC's hand into cancelling the show.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Furthermore, while it's true they have jobs is because of Roseanne, the fact of the matter is that they don't also because of her. Precisely because of her. Irrefutably because of her. It is her fault and her fault only

Totally true. To paraphrase the Bible, Roseanne giveth and Roseanne taketh away. Roseanne is so vain, that she thought she could get away with anything. TPTB said hold on there young lady, that crap ain't happening here on our watch.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:51 AM, JE7 said:

Sorry but no you don't have free speech in Germany at least not a Americans define it. I live in the American South we are not proud of the klu klux klan but we can't be imprisoned for talking about them, displaying their sigils or collecting their paraphernalia. In your country you had the Nazis and can go to prison for those things. If you can be imprisoned just for saying something that's not free speach.

The "fire" exception is because it could cause a panic that would cause PHYSICAL injury to others this instance dosent meet that criteria. I an a firm believer in the old saying "I can hate what you say but I will defend your right to say it.

ABC is indeed within their rights to do what they did but I consider it both an over reaction  and honestly an excuse to do what they wanted to anyway cancel a popular program which didn't mesh with TPTB at the networks political agenda.

But what you're saying about ABC is simply your opinion and not a fact by any stretch of the imagination. Furthermore as Nogravitasatall alluded to, this isn't even a free speech issue. It is simply employer/employee issue. Also ABC are doing this to their detriment since cancelling a popular program with nothing to replace it is never good business. In this case they were forced to do it, IMO.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:23 AM, Die Zimtzicke said:

Roseanne, despite saying she was leaving twitter, is at it again today. She blamed Ambien and they came out saying it does not cause racism, and accused Sara Gilbert and Michael Fishman of throwing her under the bus. Michael and Ambien were particularly eloquent, I think.

http://wgntv.com/2018/05/30/roseanne-barr-tells-fans-dont-defend-me-says-she-was-ambien-tweeting/

And that is really what pisses me off even more. With Roseanne it's never her, it's Ambien, or this or that. And to top it all off she complains about Sara and Michael throwing her under the bus? Really? No, woman ! You jumped in front of the bus all by yourself! Whenever you do something, at the very least own it, will you?

Edited by Carlos
  • Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Well but that's not what free speech means. Not to mention that "why sticks and stones?" No. People shouldn't be talking shit about other people. And that has nothing to do with political correctness, as your picture implies. IMO, it has to do with not being a dick.

Neil Gaiman made a nice post along the same lines a few years ago that's always stuck with me since:

"

I was reading a book (about interjections, oddly enough) yesterday which included the phrase “In these days of political correctness…” talking about no longer making jokes that denigrated people for their culture or for the colour of their skin. And I thought, “That’s not actually anything to do with ‘political correctness’. That’s just treating other people with respect.”

Which made me oddly happy. I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase “politically correct” wherever we could with “treating other people with respect”, and it made me smile.

You should try it. It’s peculiarly enlightening.

I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking “Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!”

"

http://neil-gaiman.tumblr.com/post/43087620460/i-was-reading-a-book-about-interjections-oddly

• Like 7

I think racism and other insults are two very separate issues. Racism - especially for black people - is connected to slavery, dehumanization and death. When someone is called the c-word, then that's not nice obviously, but you won't associate it with centuries of unspeakable pain.

• Like 2
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

48 minutes ago, Carlos said:

That is an over simplification. Sara has done more than just Roseanne, not to mention that she's the one who got the ball rolling for the show to come back after all these years. Furthermore, while it's true they have jobs is because of Roseanne, the fact of the matter is that they don't also because of her. Precisely because of her. Irrefutably because of her. It is her fault and her fault only. Roseanne is old enough and has been in the public eye for long enough to know that she forced ABC's hand into cancelling the show.

Is it over simplification? What had Kunal, Simon, and Melissa done before TBBT? What Roseanne said was her fault alone. Unfortunately she's done this in the past and this happening should not be a shock to anyone.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chrismo said:

Has TBS cancelled Samantha Bee?

Well, Samantha has said nothing that Trump hasn't already said himself, so should he be fired too?

57 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

I think racism and other insults are two very separate issues. Racism - especially for black people - is connected to slavery, dehumanization and death. When someone is called the c-word, then that's not nice obviously, but you won't associate it with centuries of unspeakable pain.

I always say it like that

If I don't like or insult a black person (or any other color) because I think he or she's an a-hole, that's not racism

If I don't like or insult a black person (or any other color) because of the color of their skin, that's racism.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, son-goku5 said:

Well, Samantha has said nothing that Trump hasn't already said himself, so should he be fired too?

I

That's probably true but is there really a need to have it repeated.  He's also  more popular than her.

with sponsors dropping her and ratings down 47% I'm not sure how much time the show has left.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

That's probably true but is there really a need to have it repeated.  He's also  more popular than her.

with sponsors dropping her and ratings down 47% I'm not sure how much time the show has left.

Him being DJT, your president? And her being S. Bee, a comedian?   Is this a non-sequitor? Or am I misunderstanding your equivalency.

I don’t think they are in the same kind of race. And if S. Bee flames out, there are other comedians happy to provide shows. There is no shortage of political material. And shows come and go for all sorts of reasons, though TBBT keeps stumbling on in “golden time”. This is why i see it as S. Bee punching up. It may even be futile but she’s trying to express her view. It sounds like she’s as stunned at the purposeless nepotism as I’d be if someone in politics in Oz tried it on. But she is pointedly saying that if the nepotism has to be there, at least give it purpose. A cri de couer, if you will.

If I understand Tensor,  she’s  exercising her 1st Amendment right too, not violating your constitution. I’d be more upset by the latter, which apparently Ms Sanders has done. 

It is an interesting little teacup storm, what.

:) 

Edited by Nogravitasatall
Sooo many tpyos
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Hdim being DJT, your president? And her being S. Bee, a comedian?   Is this a non-sequitor? Or am I misunderstanding your equivalency.

I don’t think they are in the same kind of race. And if S. Bee flames out, there are other comedians happy to provide shows. There is no shortage of political material. And shows come and go for all sorts of reasons, though TBBT keeps stumbling on in “golden time”. This is why i see it as S. Bee punching up. It may even be futile but she’s trying to express her view. It sounds like she’s as stunned at the purposeless nepotism as I’d be if someone in politics in Oz tried it on. But she is pointedly saying that if the nepotism has to be there, at least give it purpose. A cri de couer, if you will.

If I understand Tensor,  she’s  exercising her 1st Amendment right too, not violating your constitution. I’d be more upset by the latter, which apparently Ms Sanders has done. 

It is an interesting little teacup storm, what.

Personally, I could care less about Samantha B. I don't give a rats rear end why her show is gone, I'm just  glad it's gone. I never watched her show, just like YS and Roseanne. All I saw of it was the stupid commercials. I thought that they were childish and moronic. 

8 minutes ago, chucky said:

Personally, I could care less about Samantha B. I don't give a rats rear end why her show is gone, I'm just  glad it's gone. I never watched her show, just like YS and Roseanne. All I saw of it was the stupid commercials. I thought that they were childish and moronic. 

Is it cancelled? My internet must slow. I just googled and it said not. But there’ll be another along soon, if so.

https://www.cnet.com/news/samantha-bee-gets-tbs-support-after-full-frontal-ivanka-trump-insult/

4 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Is it cancelled? My internet must slow. I just googled and it said not. But there’ll be another along soon, if so.

https://www.cnet.com/news/samantha-bee-gets-tbs-support-after-full-frontal-ivanka-trump-insult/

As far as I can tell there was an apology. No cancellation. That could change perhaps.

I never watch SB.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

I don't know for sure. I checked the TV listings on TBS and it wasn't there. They may have pulled it while figuring what to do. Here's hoping it's gone. From the commercials, I saw no entertainment value. Unless you like watching a show totally based on insults and demeaning people. That's definitely not for me.

1 minute ago, djsurrey said:

As far as I can tell there was an apology. No cancellation. That could change perhaps.

I never watch SB.

HERE, HERE!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chucky said:

I don't know for sure. I checked the TV listings on TBS and it wasn't there. They may have pulled it while figuring what to do. Here's hoping it's gone. From the commercials, I saw no entertainment value. Unless you like watching a show totally based on insults and demeaning people. That's definitely not for me.

HERE, HERE!

Sure. But the point surely isn’t the entertainment value, it’s the principles involved.

It’s on here but I don’t watch it either. I don’t hate it however, and I can see what they are doing. There is alway a show like this on somewhere, making people uncomfortable as they do or don’t laugh. It’s a genre.

Now - on to the possible disappointment of Solo tonight.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

Just now, Nogravitasatall said:

Sure. But the point surely isn’t the entertainment value, it’s the principles involved.

It’s on here but I don’t watch it either. I don’t hate it however, and I can see what they are doing. There is alway a show like this on somewhere, making people uncomfortable as they do or don’t laugh. It’s a genre.

I neither hate it or like it. I see no value in it, so I don't watch it.

1 hour ago, chucky said:

If you never watched her show and don't give a rats butt about it, why are you glad it's gone? (if it is). Your statement doesn't make logical sense.

• Like 1

There are laws in the UK about not saying certain things in public.

That's because if you say something that encourages crime or disorder you make life dangerous for a lot of people. It's happened and the lawmakers don't want it to happen again.

Some say it's a restriction of free speech. Others might say it's for their protection. Personally I don't want some hothead to stand on a soapbox in the middle of town or send out a tweet saying, 'Meet you outside Joyce's house at 15.00h when we'll tear up  her plants and smash all her windows. It's illegal to do so, but should it be ?

11 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

And we confiscated kids who looked white, who lived in black families - there is even have a label for them - the Stolen Generation. One of our national tragedies, in retrospect. Reconciliation is hard.

That reminds me of a neighbor we  had long ago when I was young. Her father was 1/4 negro (as they used to put it then) and her mother about 3/8. They were trying to pass and their daughter married a white guy. They had a baby who you could tell was part black. It's lucky that they didn't have birthing rooms then. He would have trashed the place. He was threatening to kill her when he saw the baby , for cheating on him with a black guy. Then her parents got there and told him the truth and he just left her and the baby. I don't know what happened to the family. They moved away.

8 hours ago, chucky said:

Free speech means you can say want. But you better be ready for the consequences of your words and actions. Just ask Roseanne, she learned the hard way. I personally don't think any network will ever take a gamble of hiring her again. 

Well said. As I stated earlier, I don't know why anyone did after her national anthem debacle.

8 hours ago, Carlos said:

That is an over simplification. Sara has done more than just Roseanne, not to mention that she's the one who got the ball rolling for the show to come back after all these years. Furthermore, while it's true they have jobs is because of Roseanne, the fact of the matter is that they don't also because of her.

Very true.

4 hours ago, son-goku5 said:

If you never watched her show and don't give a rats butt about it, why are you glad it's gone? (if it is). Your statement doesn't make logical sense.

She has a history of doing dumb things and many people just don't think she's funny. What is so illogical about that? It's just a matter of taste.

Edited by Die Zimtzicke
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Some say it's a restriction of free speech. Others might say it's for their protection. Personally I don't want some hothead to stand on a soapbox in the middle of town or send out a tweet saying, 'Meet you outside Joyce's house at 15.00h when we'll tear up  her plants and smash all her windows. It's illegal to do so, but should it be ?

Yes, it should. Because that's not free speech, that's incitement to violence.

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, son-goku5 said:

I wasn't too impressed with her moronic commercials!

Since it's my opinion, it only needs to make sense to me!

Edited by chucky