In Memoriam: Mike (walnutcowboy) has passed away

Chit Chat: Season 11

Tensor

26 minutes ago, April said:

People are still believing that old chestnut? jeez

I’m not that informed about the other two planes but I watched the second plane come in on live TV (late at night here). I recall the Pentagon footage of the clean up and coverage about the other plane. So I saw two planes act as bombs. Flown by terrible people driven by their beliefs. An atrocity.

Then a whole country got the shock and awe treatment in return. I’m shaky on the details. But our mob went in on it too. I do remember there was discussion about treating it as a criminal act, not an act of war - given that no country declared war. That didn’t happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, son-goku5 said:

That's what they said, but we only saw the two in New York. We never saw any pictures of a plane coming down over the Pentagon (the hole in the wall was simply too small for a plane to have gone through it) and the crash site in Pennsylvania, where the fourth plane was said to have been crashed by the passengers, was essentially devoid of any plane debris and bodies. It was more like a hole in the ground where someone dumped some aluminum parts.

I had tuned in to the American cable channel that afternoon because I wanted to watch Larry King. The cameras were on the WTC building because a plane had crashed into it. That's how I and the rest of the world came to see the second plane go in. The other planes wouldn't have been filmed from the ground because nobody does that.

I've just seen a press conference given by President Trump.  (I was looking for the tennis. ) I assume he was sober ? This was the first time I'd heard him live.

Hats off to translators and interpreters at any negotiations involving him ! Some people don't 'arf earn their money. Their job must be like knitting fog.

2 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

I’m not that informed about the other two planes but I watched the second plane come in on live TV (late at night here). I recall the Pentagon footage of the clean up and coverage about the other plane. So I saw two planes act as bombs. Flown by terrible people driven by their beliefs. An atrocity.

Oh yes, I remember I was glued to the telly as well that afternoon (my local time). First plane was like "holy shit, how drunk was that pilot??", second plane was like an action movie plot unfolding live before the world's eyes. Then there were reports of two more flights missing, one would hit the Pentagon and the other eventually crashed after a fight with the hijackers.

The thing is, I'm inherently sceptical about any conspiracy theory that assumes waaaaaayy too much competence in staging the events as they unfolded that day. Like, everything happened so fast and you'd have to have a ridiculous amount of people involved to fake a bunch of plane crashes in that short time frame. Not to mention all the insane details some people claimed were done like fake phone calls to relatives and then killing those poor souls just to dump their bodies at the scene while other scatter a bit of fake debris or whatever? That's just nuts.

34 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I've just seen a press conference given by President Trump.  (I was looking for the tennis. ) I assume he was sober ? This was the first time I'd heard him live.

Hats off to translators and interpreters at any negotiations involving him ! Some people don't 'arf earn their money. Their job must be like knitting fog.

I once read an article about how hard it is to translate Trump. It's a real issue. The guy is mangling the English language beyond recognition and his speeches are an incoherent mess. People are believing he's suffering from some form of dementia and seeing my grandma-in-law struggle with that it feels familiar enough to me that I think it's absolutely believable. Not that Trump was ever particularly eloquent but people who've followed his career have pointed out how his speech patterns have deteriorated in the last years.

Say what you want about Hillary but at least we wouldn't worry about her starting WW3 while angrily tweeting from a golden toilet.

Edited by April
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, April said:

Oh yes, I remember I was glued to the telly as well that afternoon (my local time). First plane was like "holy shit, how drunk was that pilot??", second plane was like an action movie plot unfolding live before the world's eyes. Then there were reports of two more flights missing, one would hit the Pentagon and the other eventually crashed after a fight with the hijackers.

The thing is, I'm inherently sceptical about any conspiracy theory that assumes waaaaaayy too much competence in staging the events as they unfolded that day. Like, everything happened so fast and you'd have to have a ridiculous amount of people involved to fake a bunch of plane crashes in that short time frame. Not to mention all the insane details some people claimed were done like fake phone calls to relatives and then killing those poor souls just to dump their bodies at the scene while other scatter a bit of fake debris or whatever? That's just nuts.

I once read an article about how hard it is to translate Trump. It's a real issue. The guy is mangling the English language beyond recognition and his speeches are an incoherent mess. People are believing he's suffering from some form of dementia and seeing my grandma-in-law struggle with that it feels familiar enough to me that I think it's absolutely believable. Not that Trump was ever particularly eloquent but people who've followed his career have pointed out how his speech patterns have deteriorated in the last years.

Say what you want about Hillary but at least we wouldn't worry about her starting WW3 while angrily tweeting from a golden toilet.

While people can be attracted to conspiracy theories as a way of making sense of what happens in the world, maybe as an alternative to thinking it’s some deity at work, and not wanting to believe events can just cascade into disaster, I think what they overlook is the fact that people are crap at working together and can’t keep secrets. For any major conspiracy, someone would have leaked or claimed credit. Unless there are lizard people. Maybe one of them is running things. Might explain the language issues. :) 

Hillary wouldnt of mt Kim Jongh either. Nor would of she contributed to world peace. And the denuetralisation of the Korean Penensula. But that is neither here or their, while she would not cause WW3. She def would not contribute to preventing it. 

5 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I had tuned in to the American cable channel that afternoon because I wanted to watch Larry King. The cameras were on the WTC building because a plane had crashed into it. That's how I and the rest of the world came to see the second plane go in. The other planes wouldn't have been filmed from the ground because nobody does that.

I was in the army at the time, we were called out of our rooms to be briefed about it and none of us believed it. When we went downstairs, the two officers on duty were watching the news and I saw the towers burning.

As for the other two planes. I can't say if there were planes, no idea if it's a conspiracy or not. But I did compare pictures of the crash site in Pennsylvania with pictures of a lot of other plane crash sites and found the Pennylvania one lacking a lot of debris (and no, they couldn't have cleared it yet). As for the Pentagon, there's a hotel a few hundred feet away and they have security cameras facing the Pentagon. Yet for all the rumors out there, the government never released the footage they seized from the hotel (and they allegedly gave a gag order to the employees). They only released five frames, so essentially a fifth of a second of footage where you see an explosion but nothing else.

And when watching footage of the White House at the time, I kept wondering why there was a white, unmarked Jumbo Jet flying above it. I always thought the White House airspace was closed, not to mention that the FAA had issued an order for every plane to land immediately.

4 hours ago, April said:

That's because Trump doesn't know what he's talking about. He has trouble reading, so the prompter is difficult, and he can't stay focused on a topic and starts going on in tangents that often turn to tantrums.

I urge everyone, if they can stomach it and have thirty minutes, to watch the video from Fox and Friends when he called in. I think he rambled on for half an hour and you really can hear an old man having a manic episode on live TV. And to top it off, the Fox hosts then cut him off and ended the segment (which told us that Rupert Murdoch himself had called the control room with the order "End this now, before we end the Trump presidency on Fox News")

21 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Maybe you can look at the videos of the stumbling Hilary. What is she a drunk?

You mean the one during the campaign where she almost collapsed because she had pneumonia? I don't know about you, but I had pneumonia once when I was a child and I was hospitalized for 3 weeks, with the first of those weeks being hooked to an IV. Even as an adult, when having pneumonia, the last thing on my mind would be to be outside, campaigning for something (or doing anything at all).

Edited by son-goku5
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, son-goku5 said:

You mean the one during the campaign where she almost collapsed because she had pneumonia? I don't know about you, but I had pneumonia once when I was a child and I was hospitalized for 3 weeks, with the first of those weeks being hooked on an IV. Even as an adult, when having pneumonia, the last thing on my mind would be to be outside, campaigning for something (or doing anything at all).

I had it as an adult, while in the Air Force, and was hospitalized for two weeks, also hooked to an IV.   Then I was given a medical duty excuse for another month.   And I had no thought to go out to do things, just try to recover.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, son-goku5 said:

You mean the one during the campaign where she almost collapsed because she had pneumonia? I don't know about you, but I had pneumonia once when I was a child and I was hospitalized for 3 weeks, with the first of those weeks being hooked on an IV. Even as an adult, when having pneumonia, the last thing on my mind would be to be outside, campaigning for something (or doing anything at all).

It was more than one time and it was more than one time. I'll give you the one time. It could of been an SNL skit. Oh wait wrong party.

50 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

It was more than one time and it was more than one time. I'll give you the one time. It could of been an SNL skit. Oh wait wrong party.

I don’t see the fuss. Hilary isn’t your president. She’s a unsucessful candidate. She’s not even an elected or appointed official now . She doesn’t make the news here at all. How is she still an issue? She’s old news. Like 1812.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

I don’t see the fuss. Hilary isn’t your president. She’s a unsucessful candidate. She’s not even an elected or appointed official now . She doesn’t make the news here at all. How is she still an issue? She’s old news. Like 1812.

Complaining about Trump is old news. He's President. People have to deal with it instead of complaining. Wasn't this much fuss over Barry.

2 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Because the right in the US needs a boogeyman. Their Führer, Trump, is a certified moron in office who knows nothing and who's in the process of making the United States bankrupt (and the republicans are helping him merrily along with their tax cuts for the rich) And since they can't really blame Obama any longer (although Trump still tries sometimes)

Just look at how often Trump says he wants the DOJ to end the Russia probe and investigate her instead. He knows (or should) that nothing will come of it, since she already has been investigated by the FBI.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Complaining about Trump is old news. He's President. People have to deal with it instead of complaining. Wasn't this much fuss over Barry.

Gee, I wonder why 🤣

Compared to the Trump White House, Obama was the epitome of an angel. No personal scandals. The thing is, a president needs to have a thick skin because there'll always be criticism. But Trump is a whiny baby, he complains as soon as someone says something bad about him. Whenever has a US president called news fake because he simply didn't like it due to being critical of him.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, son-goku5 said:

Gee, I wonder why 🤣

Compared to the Trump White House, Obama was the epitome of an angel. No personal scandals. The thing is, a president needs to have a thick skin because there'll always be criticism. But Trump is a whiny baby, he complains as soon as someone says something bad about him. Whenever has a US president called news fake because he simply didn't like it due to being critical of him.

That's the fella who could talk in sentences,right ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Chrismo said:

Trump isn’t a king. I respectfully suggest that your constitution is designed for the people to be the ultimate check on elected officials. The First Amendment empowers them to make noise about their president, for good or bad. The volume of noise from the people reflects something about presidential performance. And Trump works hard to make new news everyday. His tweets are a lot about “Look at me, look at me!”.

Otherwise he’d just tweet press releases. But he wants to be the news - and throw out misdirections when it suits him. “Look at me, but look this hand, not at the one that’s in your pocket”. 

Emoluments were not a thing for other presidents. Trump has a Trump hotel almost on his Washington door step. Like a busker’s hat on the ground. 

Edited by Nogravitasatall
Emphasis
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Trump isn’t a king. I respectfully suggest that your constitution is designed for the people to be the ultimate check on elected officials. The First Amendment empowers them to make noise about their president, for good or bad. The volume of noise from the people reflects something about presidential performance. And Trump works hard to make new news everyday. His tweets are a lot about “Look at me, look at me!”.
Otherwise he’d just tweet press releases. But he wants to be the news - and throw out misdirections when it suits him. “Look at me, but look this hand, not at the one that’s in your pocket”. 
Emoluments were not a thing for other presidents. Trump has a Trump hotel almost on his Washington door step. Like a busker’s hat on the ground. 
Well Trump says it as it is, with no filter, so does Kim. They could easily share a double funeral.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Well Trump says it as it is, with no filter, so does Kim. They could easily share a double funeral.

Vultures are patient birds.

13 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

Well Trump says it as it is, with no filter...

I suspect the unfiltered part is about keying emotional responses from his listeners.  Its a very persuasive thing to do. If anyone thinks Trump tells it like it is... they  might need to fact check him. There are websites for that.  Compare what he just said about Trudeau to what he just said about Kim. It’s all pitch, not the world as it is.He says whatever, bending truth and playing to the audience to get what he wants in the moment.  That’s his super power and it’s an extraordinary one.And so far, no kryptonite.

• Like 1

I suspect the unfiltered part is about keying emotional responses from his listeners.  Its a very persuasive thing to do. If anyone thinks Trump tells it like it is... they  might need to fact check him. There are websites for that.  Compare what he just said about Trudeau to what he just said about Kim. It’s all pitch, not the world as it is.He says whatever, bending truth and playing to the audience to get what he wants in the moment.  That’s his super power and it’s an extraordinary one.And so far, no kryptonite.
Trump is on a mission and two peas in a pod could be a receipe for disaster. Hopefully there are super heroes to release the kryptonite.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

Trump is on a mission and two peas in a pod could be a receipe for disaster. Hopefully there are super heroes to release the kryptonite.

Did you see the press conference afterwards? A reporter said that the joint statement with Kim didn't say "verifiable" and "irreversable" when it comes to denuclearization and asked if that was a concession. He had to read the text to answer (and of course, his answer was a ramble that didn't deny the question - the text apparently only said that "it would be gone", not if it would be gone forever)

Trump gave Kim everything Km wanted. The photo op of a handshake with the US president and Trump also promised to end the joint war games with South Korea, something he apparently decided during the meeting because Kim asked for it. Even the US military (and the South Koreans) were blindsided by it.

• Like 1
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1