The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Chit Chat: Season 11

13 hours ago, April said:

It's the likes you get. And well, now with the reaction system it's the positive reactions in general. I think @Tripper set the grumpy Penny face to neutral but the other ones should give you a +1 on your counter.

I didn't know this. I'll never give a Penny again. 

17 hours ago, April said:

It's the likes you get. And well, now with the reaction system it's the positive reactions in general. I think @Tripper set the grumpy Penny face to neutral but the other ones should give you a +1 on your counter.

So our choices have gone from agree or be silent to agree, neutral or be silent. Thats a Big improvement 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just think the Sheldon Koala face is odd. What is it susposed to be expressing? Penny run to India does not decrease your approval rating. So it's just confusing. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I didn't know this. I'll never give a Penny again. 

It's a negative reaction but Tripper didn't want it to be a potential source of conflict by lowering anybody's reputation.

Doesn't mean you can't disagree but you'd have to do that in writing like in the days before when we only had the simple like.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:04 PM, JE7 said:

So our choices have gone from agree or be silent to agree, neutral or be silent. Thats a Big improvement 

giphy.gif

I agree with your disagreement and gave you a like. The Run to India one should be a -1. If the emojis are to better represent what we think or feel about a post I think they options should be clearer , for example: Like, don't like, love, hate, with their accompanying numerical values assigned to them such as +1, -1, +2, -2 . JMO.

• Like 2

Every forum I have ever been a part of has removed the -1 reputation or dislike post function and for good reason. With so many characters on this show and such a wide ranging, diverse set of views on characters I think not having a -1 option is a good idea. I suspect a lot of -1 ones would be thrown around and would cause friction. It also would increase the workload presumably of the moderators having to see if the -1 negative system is being abused or not.

The current system works fine for me if I like a post I like, it if I disagree I either then choose to just ignore it or quote it and give a reply.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Jonny: I respectfully disagree. I think that when you don't like a post you should have the ability to give a negative point. In order for it not to be abused the forum administrator could limit the amount of "negs"  (to quote Howard) that could be used per day. All in all, I really preferred the old system where like was the only option. The only thing this new system has added is confusion and lack of clarity.

I would like just add this to the possible removal reputation points for the dislike function a few users wished for: a user may not like a post for lots of reasons and it doesn't mean it is a negative thing that should be kind of "punished". Many times it might be only disagreement and even the user can give a reason for that as they  post a comment, they are not obligated to that either. For example, I as any users here, have these users opinions I identify more and others I less identify with. Would be fair any time I would not disagree with something these users I identify with less , that my dislikes removed reputation points to them? I think honestly this system is most fair. And people always can only use the like function and none of the others  functions else like it used to be before this forum update. The forum allow signatures with quotes and pics and there are people that have the signatures disabled. It will be impossible to please everyone I guess.

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 2

I may be naive, but I had no idea that "likes" were linked to any sort of reputation.  As far as that number that appears below our avatar, mine happens to be at 9,653 and is deemed excellent---I suppose my mom would be proud, but, again, I don't know or care what that means.  Am I correct in thinking that we all should be striving for "likes" or "Koala faces" or "tiaras" and staying away from "run to India"?  I for one would prefer having a Penny face given my posts, but I guess not?

Again, my naiveté is showing, but I thought we came to discuss this television show we (I anyway) love, and if we saw something we agreed with, we could "like" it or give a "thumbs-up".  I was not aware that making that number under the avatar ever higher was what we should be aiming for.....

Sorry.  I'm tired and I just don't get so many things these days, including this.  I’m not even speaking coherently but anyway….What the heck?

Geezer rant done.  Peace, out....

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

I may be naive, but I had no idea that "likes" were linked to any sort of reputation.  As far as that number that appears below our avatar, mine happens to be at 9,653 and is deemed excellent---I suppose my mom would be proud, but, again, I don't know or care what that means.  Am I correct in thinking that we all should be striving for "likes" or "Koala faces" or "tiaras" and staying away from "run to India"?  I for one would prefer having a Penny face given my posts, but I guess not?

Again, my naiveté is showing, but I thought we came to discuss this television show we (I anyway) love, and if we saw something we agreed with, we could "like" it or give a "thumbs-up".  I was not aware that making that number under the avatar ever higher was what we should be aiming for.....

Sorry.  I'm tired and I just don't get so many things these days, including this.  I’m not even speaking coherently but anyway….What the heck?

Course not is what we should be aiming for. I dont care about the increasing number of my reputation. It is nice but not my goal here. Never was and never will. Just having nice conversations about this show characters and also about my ship. 

Hookie, your posts are always coherent. Disagreements just happen and it is not a bad thing. Only a difference of oppinions :)

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, hokie3457 said:

This is what happens when you turn 60! I speaketh from experience!:girlsigh: 

Namaste.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

To be blunt the reputatiin system is a joke. When members have been here a year have triple the "reputation" of long established members of 5 or 6 years who have made thousands of posts the imbalance is obvious.

When a comment in a ship thread about how buff an actors arms look in a certain shirt gets sgueed over and that post recieves 20+ likes and all the posts agreeing get the same it ceases to be a discussion forum and becomes a fangirl echo chamber.

This is as allways only my opinion

Edited by JE7
This post will disappear in 5, 4, 3, 2...
  • Like 3

I see it as a way to avoid having many people say the same thing. If someone says something I am already thinking I can like it and avoid duplication.

20 hours ago, JE7 said:

To be blunt the reputatiin system is a joke. When members have been here a year have triple the "reputation" of long established members of 5 or 6 years who have made thousands of posts the imbalance is obvious.

When a comment in a ship thread about how buff an actors arms look in a certain shirt gets sgueed over and that post recieves 20+ likes and all the posts agreeing get the same it ceases to be a discussion forum.

This is as allways only my opinion

Calling it reputation is just social media jargon. On a software forum someone would get higher reputation for answering questions well. Here people get likes for a variety of reasons in addition to what you said. On the other hand it is not complete bunk in that if someone goes around just being a buzz kill they might likely get few likes.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, djsurrey said:

I see it as a way to avoid having many people say the same thing. If someone says something I am already thinking I can like it and avoid duplication.

Calling it reputation is just social media jargon. On a software forum someone would get higher reputation for answering questions well. Here people get likes for a variety of reasons in addition to what you said. On the other hand it is not complete bunk in that if someone goes around just being a buzz kill they might likely get few likes.

Thanks for this post, @djsurrey.

• Like 6

On 8/22/2017 at 3:51 PM, Carlos said:

Jonny: I respectfully disagree. I think that when you don't like a post you should have the ability to give a negative point. In order for it not to be abused the forum administrator could limit the amount of "negs"  (to quote Howard) that could be used per day. All in all, I really preferred the old system where like was the only option. The only thing this new system has added is confusion and lack of clarity.

I am kind of torn about negative point. I guess I don't care about reputation scores but it can be abused/misused too...based on some of my unpopular opinions, I guess I would have a score of -10000 . lol.  But it could be difficult to monitor the limits etc etc...so yes, the previous system was the best. But it is still there. We can still give a "like". 

9 hours ago, serena_1995 said:

I am kind of torn about negative point. I guess I don't care about reputation scores but it can be abused/misused too...based on some of my unpopular opinions, I guess I would have a score of -10000 . lol.  But it could be difficult to monitor the limits etc etc...so yes, the previous system was the best. But it is still there. We can still give a "like". 

I don't think you would have a negative score as you say, btw. Of course negative scores would have to be used responsibly. I, for example, don't always agree with what you say, but of all your posts I've read, I think I would have given you 1 or 2 negative scores only, because all the other posts I didn't agree with, were reasonable and well thought out and were clear in its points. However, I agree, the previous system was better. Sometimes simplicity is the best option.

• Like 1

I think the system is fine as it is and the addition of more options made it more fun for at least some people.

• Like 3

Huge wildfire is burning in the northernmost part of Burbank in La Tuna Canyon.  Most of the major studios, including Warner Bros. are located in southern Burbank so they are not in danger, but many people who work at those studios live in the area....

8 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Huge wildfire is burning in the northernmost part of Burbank in La Tuna Canyon.  Most of the major studios, including Warner Bros. are located in southern Burbank so they are not in danger, but many people who work at those studios live in the area....

If it weren't for the hurricane in TX, this story would be receiving much more coverage. They are suffering extremely high temperatures in the area as well. Not a good combination. Hoping for the best for all.

• Like 2

@joyceraye there is a big difference between the book The Hobbit and the Book(s) Lord of The Rings.

I found this where the author is talking about the books....

Tolkien spoke to this in his letter #33 to his publishers at Allen and Unwin, noting that the tone of LotR is substantially darker and "older" than that of the Hobbit:

In the last two or three days, after the benefit of idleness and open air, and the sanctioned neglect of duty, I have begun again on the sequel to the ‘Hobbit’ – The Lord of the Ring. It is now flowing along, and getting quite out of hand. It has reached about Chapter VII and progresses towards quite unforeseen goals. I must say I think it is a good deal better in places and some ways than the predecessor; but that does not say that I think it either more suitable or more adapted for its audience. For one thing it is, like my own children (who have the immediate serial rights), rather ‘older’. I can only say that Mr Lewis (my stout backer of the Times and T.L.S.) professes himself more than pleased.

In Letter #34, he professed that he felt that LotR would be "terrifying" to younger children who might have enjoyed the earlier Hobbit book:

When I spoke, in an earlier letter to Mr Furth, of this sequel getting ‘out of hand’, I did not mean it to be complimentary to the process. I really meant it was running its course, and forgetting ‘children’, and was becoming more terrifying than the Hobbit. It may prove quite unsuitable. It is more ‘adult’ – but my own children who criticize it as it appears are now older.

from https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/90601/does-the-tone-of-the-hobbit-significantly-differ-from-that-of-lord-of-the-rings

Thanks, djsurry !   That's really interesting.  It was when I was nearing the end of the second book of LOTR that I felt it was getting darker than I liked.   I don't think I even finished the third. I was too old by then to be terrified but I realised it was no longer the sort of thing that appealed to me.  I suppose I'd be about sixteen or seventeen. I'm wondering now if when our teacher started us off on The Hobbit he was thinking we'd get hooked on the whole series.

We read it in class (The Hobbit), must have been around 10 or 11 at the time. I live in the area where he supposedly got inspiration for some of the LOTR, the Ribble Valley in Lancashire.

• Like 1
  • Koala Face 1

5 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Thanks, djsurry !   That's really interesting.  It was when I was nearing the end of the second book of LOTR that I felt it was getting darker than I liked.   I don't think I even finished the third. I was too old by then to be terrified but I realised it was no longer the sort of thing that appealed to me.  I suppose I'd be about sixteen or seventeen. I'm wondering now if when our teacher started us off on The Hobbit he was thinking we'd get hooked on the whole series.

My experience was somewhat different. I first heard of these books from cousins while on summer vacation with them. My older sister developed an interest and read them so I was going read them too or be the only one who had not experienced the mystery and magic. I was younger in my early teens. My cousin had planted the seed and my sister gave encouragement to read it. I  had some idea of what to expect and the notion the dry parts of the story were made up for by excitement and wonder.  Years later I took a literature option in high school and read LOTR again for credit this time. I also got introduced to Dungeons and Dragons around the same time. I pulled out the books again for a third time after unsuccessfully seeing if I could interest my kids in the Hobbit. That happened coincidentally before Peter Jackson announced he was bringing LOTR to the big screen. 

• Koala Face 1