Chit Chat: Season 11

Tensor

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

Part of the problem with this story is that, and I don't have a link, is that Harley Davidson already had plans to move overseas. People are buying fewer motrcycles in the US and more overseas.

2 hours ago, April said:

More interesting to me: Will his fanbase finally realise they've been scammed by the equivalent of a cheap used car salesman? But with the whole tribalism the Republicans have build up and people are more than willing to follow blindly I fear we might be out of luck here as well. They'd cut off their nose to spite their face.

I highly doubt that. He will blame the Democrats, Trump TV will incessently repeat it and the moron's making up his base will believe it.

I once said to a friend that he has supporters that are so devout to him, he could come into their home, rape their 14 year old daughter in front of their eyes and they will find a way to justify it, like it's her fault and she deserved it.

1 hour ago, Chrismo said:

I thought someone might comment on the Supreme Court upholding the travel ban.

It's a disgrace. Especially since it's once again a partisan decision 5-4. And it again drives home that republicans stole that SCOTUS seat from Obama.

Also, the one nation where 17 of the 19 attackers of 9/11 came from, Saudi Arabia, isn't on the list.

I sincerely hope that in 2020, a Democrat will become president and will get a Democratic led Senate. Then several SCOTUS judges will surely resign (a lot of them are over 75 years old) and the new President then nominates the youngest, most liberal judges he can find, just to spite republicans. And thanks to Mitch McConnell using the Nuclear Option for SCOTUS picks, republicans wouldn't be able to stop that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chrismo said:

Part of the problem with this story is that, and I don't have a link, is that Harley Davidson already had plans to move overseas. People are buying fewer motrcycles in the US and more overseas.

Goods should be produced where it makes the most economic sense (and where the corresponding know-how is available), not only where they are consumed. Then everyone can produce what they do best, and everyone benefits from it.
If the USA doesn't manage to build decent cars, then you buy Germans there. Just as the EU probably can't develop a decent OS here, so we use Windows or others. That'd be a succeeded globalization and the ideal stimulus to increase the prosperity of all!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, April said:

I don't think he will. He's not the kind of guy admitting he's done anything wrong.

More interesting to me: Will his fanbase finally realise they've been scammed by the equivalent of a cheap used car salesman? But with the whole tribalism the Republicans have build up and people are more than willing to follow blindly I fear we might be out of luck here as well. They'd cut off their nose to spite their face.

It takes effort to make things better, it’s easy to make things worse. Trump will find that the business cycle will turn. The post-2008 financial industry regulatory rails are being removed and he has debt funded his tax cuts. He is accelerating an inevitable crisis (a recession every ten years historically, I think) with his escalating tariff war, which has already put all businesses that use steel under pressure, and will just keep snowballing - see Harley-Davidson. His imperial announcements won’t do anything eventually, so he might go from trade war to shooting war as a distraction.

So when that economic crisis happens, or another war starts, it’ll be that, not the culture wars, that will make the difference.

There isn’t enough time for his fellow elderly racists to just naturally kark it in sufficient volumes before then. 

• Like 1

Trump has his economic advisors now investigating if imported cars from the EU pose a threat to national security because only then can he impose tariffs without congress' approval.

I'm looking forward to the knots they will tie themselves in to explain how foreign-built cars are a threat to national security...

2 hours ago, son-goku5 said:

I highly doubt that. He will blame the Democrats, Trump TV will incessently repeat it and the moron's making up his base will believe it.

I once said to a friend that he has supporters that are so devout to him, he could come into their home, rape their 14 year old daughter in front of their eyes and they will find a way to justify it, like it's her fault and she deserved it.

During the election he literally said: "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters." And to think this is the guy people voted for. I can not imagine being this morally bankrupt to vote for someone like that.

2 hours ago, son-goku5 said:

It's a disgrace. Especially since it's once again a partisan decision 5-4. And it again drives home that republicans stole that SCOTUS seat from Obama.

Also, the one nation where 17 of the 19 attackers of 9/11 came from, Saudi Arabia, isn't on the list.

I sincerely hope that in 2020, a Democrat will become president and will get a Democratic led Senate. Then several SCOTUS judges will surely resign (a lot of them are over 75 years old) and the new President then nominates the youngest, most liberal judges he can find, just to spite republicans. And thanks to Mitch McConnell using the Nuclear Option for SCOTUS picks, republicans wouldn't be able to stop that.

Yes, the US courts will be a mess for years to come - as if messing up the economy isn't bad enough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chrismo said:

I thought someone might comment on the Supreme Court upholding the travel ban.

Well, it’s just part of normal institutionalised racism and fear-mongering, so ho-hum, put it on the pile of indictments of the administration and president. Just because he can do it, doesn’t mean it’s an intelligent policy.

Have they got those babies all back with their folks yet? Are the ICE agents stopping people and asking for papers? That’s happening too, if citizens live within 100 miles of the border.

So many fronts in the culture war, such limited reserves of outrage. And that’s the strategy.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
Edit for civility

5 hours ago, April said:

During the election he literally said: "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters." And to think this is the guy people voted for. I can not imagine being this morally bankrupt to vote for someone like that.

Yes, the US courts will be a mess for years to come - as if messing up the economy isn't bad enough.

Messing up the economy. You have got to be kidding or worse. Many more jobs. More women and minorities in employment. 

• Run to India 1

14 hours ago, ajond said:

Messing up the economy. You have got to be kidding or worse. Many more jobs. More women and minorities in employment. 

Hardly kidding I should think. The trade fight with allies will only help Russia. Supply chains will be messed up and layoffs will follow I would expect.

And then there is this...

Groups representing America’s largest retailers, car manufacturers and the agriculture industry warned of the “serious negative economic impacts” of Donald Trump’s trade disputes on Tuesday and declared support for a bill that would rein in his powers.

In a letter to US senators signed by 51 trade groups, the US Chamber of Commerce and state and local business bodies, business leaders called on legislators to pass a bill that would require Congress to approve any new tariffs the president imposes based on national security concerns.

from https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jun/26/philip-hammond-warns-trump-against-triggering-full-trade-war 

also see https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/06/26/limit-trump-tariffs-businesses-tell-congress/732481002/ 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ajond said:

Yeah, thanks Obama. He gave his successor a great running economy, 7 years of continuous job growth. And Trump is doing what he can do ruin it.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, son-goku5 said:

Yeah, thanks Obama. He gave his successor a great running economy, 7 years of continuous job growth. And Trump is doing what he can do ruin it.

The admiration of Trump is pure fandom. What’s real is trend over time. Let’s wait and see, but historically Republicans are poor managers of the economy and good clients of their patrons.  Reagan left a deficit,  Clinton left a surplus, Bush 2 left the disaster of the Great Recession, Obama presided over the recovery. Trump has trend and sentiment on his side, but geez, he’s not actually at all good at economics. Over 1.9tr (?) in debt funded tax cuts. What?

He ran a small, mob-adjacent business, capitalised by inherited money. He’s more about the feels and the pitch. It’d be nice if he was right, not bonkers. Look at his history.  What are the odds he’s right. If the wheels fall off he’ll pass the buck. My bet, Peter Navarro will be the bunny. Another coffee boy. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

He ran a small, mob-adjacent business, capitalised by inherited money. He’s more about the feels and the pitch. It’d be nice if he was right, not bonkers. Look at his history.  What are the odds he’s right. If the wheels fall off he’ll pass the buck.

"Grandpa'd do whatever he could"
"Preach a little gospel, sell a couple bottles of doctor good"

It is not the gospel that Trump preaches but I got to think that eventually everyone will realize what he was selling is not good for anyone.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, djsurrey said:

"Grandpa'd do whatever he could"
"Preach a little gospel, sell a couple bottles of doctor good"

It is not the gospel that Trump preaches but I got to think that eventually everyone will realize what he was selling is not good for anyone.

He's the proverbial snake oil salesman.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, son-goku5 said:

He's the proverbial snake oil salesman.

Justice Kennedy's resignation is great news. Maybe we can get a young female non-liberal on SCOTUS. then we can have SCOTUS upholding the constitution instead of left leaning justices who attempt to make legislation. (Travel ban rulings by 9th circuit and other jurisdictions in the Democratic party's pocket, is a prime example).

• Like 1
  • Run to India 1

If Trump does this right, then maybe say hi to President Pence. One of two things left on the Republican agenda. They got the donors their tax cut, now they’ll give the evangelicals their bit. That’s a threat to Roe v Wade.  Big moment to energise the moderates and progressives beyond the base. If, say, the House turns in November then that’s a big risk to Trump. Maybe even it can leverage a Senate turn, I don’t know.  But the Special Counsel is still beavering away. No one knows what’s coming but a changed Congress is a risk to Trump, because he is not popular.

Otherwise, maybe it’s “Hello Gilead”.

1 hour ago, ajond said:

...instead of left leaning justices who attempt to make legislation. (Travel ban rulings by 9th circuit and other jurisdictions in the Democratic party's pocket, is a prime example).

You do know that the 9th circuit ruled the travel ban (which was an executive order, not legislation) unconstitutional.  You want to explain how a finding of an executive order as unconstitutional is legislating?  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tensor said:

You do know that the 9th circuit ruled the travel ban (which was an executive order, not legislation) unconstitutional.  You want to explain how a finding of an executive order as unconstitutional is legislating?  

Because it was judges clearly being liberal activists and ignoring the constitution. Did the word Muslim get mentioned in the exec order. Muslims in the countries mentioned in the exec order constitute less than 10 % of all Muslims. so banning Muslims could not have been the motivation.

It is OK to disagree with you isn't it?

2 minutes ago, ajond said:

Because it was judges clearly being liberal activists and ignoring the constitution. 

As opposed to conservative activists ignoring the constitution, by not treating all people in the country, equally? 

Did the word Muslim get mentioned in the exec order. Muslims in the countries mentioned in the exec order constitute less than 10 % of all Muslims. so banning Muslims could not have been the motivation.

It doesn't have to appear in the executive order.   As long as it could be shown the individual drafting the order, in this case Trump, had animus toward Muslims, it can be declared unconstitutional.    And there are plenty of statements, mostly false, that Trump made in relation to Muslims?  Why was he lying about muslims?          What would be the motivation for the executive order? National Security?  If so, then why not add Saudi Arabia to the ban, where the 9/11 attackers came from?   And if it was national security, why did his executive order go against most of the opinions the national security professionals?  

It is OK to disagree with you isn't it?

Sure, keep to the rules and you can disagree with me all you want.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

don't think the writers are really celebrities.

I just think they should instead of asking John Q Public for money they just ask the actors and actresses on the shows they write for. The cast of TBBT makes over 100 million a year. I'm not sure what Chuck and Bill make but is gotta be more than me.

37 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

I just think they should instead of asking John Q Public for money they just ask the actors and actresses on the shows they write for.

And you know they haven't asked the actors, how?     I happen think this is a great way to get the word out to those who may want to donate, but aren't aware of it. For those who don't want to donate, what is the problem?  

37 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

The cast of TBBT makes over 100 million a year. I'm not sure what Chuck and Bill make but is gotta be more than me.

And, so?    They make more than me too, but I donated.   I also donate to several other charities.   Johnny, Jim, Kaley, and Mayim, have their charities they donate to also, and in a much greater amount than I donate.    I don't know about the other three, but that doesn't mean they don't have their charities.   Nobody is forcing anyone to donate, they are making people aware of it, and have asked nicely to donate.  If anyone doesn't want to donate, like you for instance, you don't have to.  But, for someone like me, who didn't know about the effort,  it took finding out about it, before I could donate.  And for that, I appreciate it.   

• Like 8