Chit Chat: Season 11

Tensor

2 hours ago, veejay said:

France and the UK have their own nuclear weapons, which should be sufficient to protect Europe. But that would destroy all the beautiful sandbox games.

I think the theory is that only a fraction of the warheads will make it to the targets so one needs redundancy for proper deterrents ("mutually assured destruction" -- aka MAD).

7 minutes ago, son-goku5 said:

And did I read it correctly that he was endorsing Boris Johnson for Prime Minister while he was on state visit in a country lead by someone not named Boris Johnson?

Yes, exactly. So he is undermining a foreign government. But one that was supposed to be an allied power. I wish May would have kicked him out.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, son-goku5 said:

I read over parts of it, and those stood out to me (other stuff was just as frightening)

When talking about Brexit:

Trump: I would have done it much differently. I actually told Theresa May how to do it, but she didn't agree, she didn't listen to me.

Reporter: What did you say?

Trump: She didn't listen. No, I told her how to do it. That will be up to her to say. But I told her how to do it. She wanted to go a different route.

translation: I have no idea what Brexit is and I told Theresa May nothing about it. I'm just bragging here. But another example of Trump wanting to make decisions for other countries.

Or this "gem":

Trump: The GDP since I've taken over has doubled and tripled.

One more time that Trump, the "greatest businessman" has no idea how the economy works and what the GDP actually is. Also, he doesn't seem able to decide if it has doubled or tripled (and it was neither). The thing is, this lie will be believed only by the stupid people who still think he's doing a good job.

And did I read it correctly that he was endorsing Boris Johnson for Prime Minister while he was on state visit in a country lead by someone not named Boris Johnson?

He's not only showing ignorance of how countries work, he doesn't know how to behave when abroad. This was supposed to be a brief business visit. The state visit will be later in the year if nobody's put him in a strait jacket by then. I shudder to think what will come out of his mouth when he's exposed to all the pomp and ceremony.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

He's not only showing ignorance of how countries work, he doesn't know how to behave when abroad. This was supposed to be a brief business visit. The state visit will be later in the year if nobody's put him in a strait jacket by then. I shudder to think what will come out of his mouth when he's exposed to all the pomp and ceremony.

My understanding was this was going to be a state visit but because of the looming protests that was not possible so it was downgraded to a working visit. Seems to me it would have been smarter to cancel it all together. Perhaps T. May rolled the dice and lost. On the other hand after Trump insulted Trudeau unity behind Trudeau improved rather than the other way around.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

It gets more Orwellian as Trump calls his own voice fake news.

POLITICS

07/13/2018 09:25 EDT | Updated 2 hours ago

Trump Calls His Theresa May Brexit Criticism 'Fake News'

However, The Sun published a recording of the remarks Trump claimed he didn't say.
from https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/trump-theresa-may-brexit_us_5b48a448e4b0bc69a78660bd

• Like 4

Another shoe drops...

Russian intelligence members indicted in U.S., accused of election meddling

Deputy attorney general won't comment on reaction of Trump, who was briefed ahead of meeting Putin

CBC News · Posted: Jul 13, 2018 12:22 PM ET
A federal grand jury indicted 12 Russian intelligence officers for hacking offences related to the 2016 presidential election, the Justice Department announced on Friday.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/indictments-russia-mueller-probe-1.4745718

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

Quote...

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said on Friday that the country might be in the beginning of a trade war and urged President Trump to reverse course on his recent tariffs. 

"As you all know, I've said before, I'm concerned about getting into a trade war and it seems like ... we may actually be in the early stages of it. Nobody wins a trade war, and so it would be good if it ended soon," McConnell said during a press conference in Kentucky on Friday. 

Asked about the impacts on his own state, McConnell noted that reciprocal tariffs from U.S. trade partners are targeting both bourbon and the production of Toyota vehicles. 
"Yeah, as I've said repeatedly in the last few weeks as this has unfolded, this would not be good for the commonwealth," the Senate GOP leader told reporters. 

Trump's use of the national security provisions of trade law, which allows him to impose tariffs without congressional approval, have rankled congressional Republicans who worry he will roil the economy months before the midterm election.

Trump has imposed steep tariffs on steel and aluminum imports, including targeting key trading allies such as the European Union, Canada and Mexico. 

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/396887-mcconnell-we-may-be-in-the-early-stage-of-a-trade-war

/quote

... so much winning. Are there replacement markets in Russia? I don’t think so. Russia’s economy is about the same size as Italy’s. 

#knownothingpresident

*sigh*

• Like 3

22 hours ago, joyceraye said:

What country's leader goes into a meeting with another country's leader and comes out saying that ? 

Who goes to somebody else's country and tells them how to run it ? Is he so deluded he thinks that's what he came for ? This was not a reporter scrambling a politician's words out of context. It was his own voice and he sounded demented.

I may have misquoted slightly because I wasn't fully awake. Did anybody else hear that ? I almost hope I'm the one who imagines things.

Thinking I should change my response. Apparently this fits Trumps theory of deal making. 

“I’m the first to admit that I am very competitive and that I’ll do nearly anything within legal bounds to win. Sometimes, part of making a deal is denigrating your competition.”
http://youberelentless.com/the-top-12-quotes-from-the-book-the-art-of-the-deal-by-donald-trump/ 

It seems he puts little value on relationships. Perhaps he just does not recall there are not hundreds of potential allies waiting in the wings. There is just one UK, just one France, just one Germany and just one Canada. It is not okay to denigrate ones allies.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Thinking I should change my response. Apparently this fits Trumps theory of deal making. 

It seems he puts little value on relationships. Perhaps he just does not recall there are not hundreds of potential allies waiting in the wings. There is just one UK, just one France, just one Germany and just one Canada. It is not okay to denigrate ones allies.

Absolutely. He seems to think he's in a competition. It's almost as if so long as he wins something ( GOK what ) he can say what he likes to get it and alienate everyone else.  He doesn't seem to recall that he's supposed to behave like a leader of a nation, not an employer of workers. There are conventions and etiquette, especially when abroad. There's being an ally and there's minding your own business. He doesn't know that the POTUS's  opinion means nothing overseas except for times when he's allied with a country against a common enemy. Nobody outside his country wants to know what Trump thinks of the leader of their country or what their parliament decides.

As the son of a Scot who's loyal to Her Majesty he could take out dual nationality, register to vote and stand ( not 'run') for election. Then he could say what sort of a job he thought Mrs Sturgeon and/or Mrs May,  and whoever's in charge of the overseas trade section of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, were doing. He could stand on a soapbox, slag off other politicians and contradict himself to his heart's content for four whole weeks every five years. ( j/k I hope. )

Edited by joyceraye
grammar
  • Like 2

Apparently Trump dissed the Queen by being fifteen minutes late. She’s 92. What a dick.

And she’s also the Queen of Australia. So all the armed services folks here are likely pissed. Her picture is in every mess. Also, anyone who watched The Crown would be angry. 

Way to make friends, not.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Apparently Trump dissed the Queen by being fifteen minutes late. She’s 92. What a dick.

And she’s also the Queen of Australia. So all the armed services folks here are likely pissed. Her picture is in every mess. Also, anyone who watched The Crown would be angry. 

Way to make friends, not.

Ptobably got held up by all those morons and weirdos protesting in the streets.

• Like 1
  • Run to India 2

5 minutes ago, ajond said:

No. He was not going to travel on the streets. He went by helicopter.

By the way the people in the streets were the people of London. Trump is the one out of place.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ajond said:

Probably got held up by all those morons and weirdos protesting in the streets.

I don't suppose he took any notice of what's in the street. He's a moron and weirdo, as anyone who's listened to him since he got here would know. The intelligence level of the people in the streets has no way of being assessed. BTW I now understand a remark in the last episode of Roseanne : 'For it to be a state of emergency does the president  have to spell it properly ?'

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ajond said:

Well if that was the case, that he was held up, then it’s not really saying much about his and his entourage’s competence. 

But I understand that he choppers about, so it was more likely him signalling. Then again, his wife could have been picking out an outfit with appropriate text, and that delayed him. Which again goes to competence.

Lets see if he hands over Crimea on Monday. So he can be best friends with Putin, which is what he also signals. Unless you can say that’s not weird. ‘Cos it’s weird. No note takers in the meeting? That’s also weird. Tell me how it isn’t. Please.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, djsurrey said:

It gets more Orwellian as Trump calls his own voice fake news.

Not the first time that happened. Remember the Access Hollywood tape? First he read an apology for it on TV (which he neither wrote nor mean) and later he claimed that it wasn't him on the tape.

12 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Denigrating competitors might work in real estate or other private business but other world leaders will not let themselves be denigrated.

8 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:
5 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Well if that was the case, that he was held up, then it’s not really saying much about his and his entourage’s competence. 

But I understand that he choppers about, so it was more likely him signalling. Then again, his wife could have been picking out an outfit with appropriate text, and that delayed him. Which again goes to competence.

Lets see if he hands over Crimea on Monday. So he can be best friends with Putin, which is what he also signals. Unless you can say that’s not weird. ‘Cos it’s weird. No note takers in the meeting? That’s also weird. Tell me how it isn’t. Please.

There can't be note takers. Trump goes to the man who put him into office to get his next orders. My guess is that the American translator is a loyal Trumpian or he'll die in a "freak accident" before he could say anything about the meeting.

Or, Trump will do the same thing he did before, take an "unscheduled" meeting with Putin again without an American translator.

• Like 3

It's comforting and encouraging that England and Scotland so vigorously protested Trump's visit.  Being here in the thick of it, I sometimes feel like I'm losing my mind.  I feel strength from the support of other countries, observing the horror show from a distance. I also appreciate the observations and knowledge offered from posters around the world.❤️

• Like 7
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ajond said:

I read somewhere that grand juries will indict a ham sandwich.

When prosecutors file an information, they are usually required to convince a judge in a public preliminary hearing that they have enough evidence to secure a conviction.  This high burden is not present at a grand jury proceeding, where the prosecutor has to prove that there's  only probable cause to believe that a crime occurred and the  target of the proceeding comitted it. And furthermore, while a trial jury is made up of 12 people who have to vote unanimously to convict or acquit, a Grand Jury, which is made up of 16 to 23 people, only needs 12 of them to vote for indictment, so majority rule.

Also, you don't have the defendant at a GJ proceeding, so the GJ hears only the prosecutor. Although, there was one case where a republican former public official (I think a governor), was allowed to defend himself in a grand jury proceeding. Goes to show that politicians oftentimes get special treatment when it comes to charges

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done, Prime Minister, for not laughing on TV this morning when Andrew Marr asked you to tell us what the 'suggestion' was that Trump said you didn't listen to.

Did you practise keeping a straight face, or was it sheer horror that this man runs a country ?

• Like 2