Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Chit Chat: Season 11

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Did you practise keeping a straight face, or was it sheer horror that this man runs a country ?

What do you think? 😉

theresa-may-donald-trump-brexit-verhandlungen.jpeg.fe4797c4d91ff15949558af1d62b7698.jpeg

Source

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I read somewhere that grand juries will indict a ham sandwich.
I served on a grand jury and i think your quite mistaken

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, veejay said:

What do you think?

And Trump once again, as he so often does, proves what a coward he is. He badmouthed her during his Sun interview but when she was standing next to her, he "admired" her and says they have "a great relationship"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, son-goku5 said:

And Trump once again, as he so often does, proves what a coward he is. He badmouthed her during his Sun interview but when she was standing next to her, he "admired" her and says they have "a great relationship"

If someone had described Trump to me 10 years ago in all his absurd actions and his bizarre appearance and said: "This man will be the President of the USA (nominated by the GOP and elected by American people)", I would have thought that was a very, very bad joke.

The really bad thing is, you don't know
a) if this man is just terribly stupid, incompetent and mentally disturbed (which of course he himself doesn't notice)

b) or whether these are all targeted measures to sell its populist narrative "America first" to the local electorate (even the last redneck in the fly-over-states understands "suing" someone. They also don’t care about his broken promises... they just like to hear him MAKE them.)

c) or - and this would be the really questionable option - he is doing everything possible to cause as much confusion as possible in order to spread maximum confusion and thus not only destabilize democratic authorities and/or economic competitors, but also cause as much damage as possible.

Trump's "favourite enemy" (besides China) is the EU. The EU is too strong for him. Anything that weakens it is very welcome.
This is precisely where the Brexitiers, Putin, Trump, Erdogan and some other populists from within and outside Europe meet.

1759473247_londoncalling.jpg.9a3ac57a54cb56dc404a421ea77a30c0.jpg

Edited by veejay
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually 3 million more people voted for Clinton i stood in line for an hour and a half to vote for her

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s rather alarming really. He has labelled the EU a foe. And he’s got the missiles. There is an expression “give a dog a bad name and you may as well shoot it”.

Its all very well to say it’s just hyperbole but another expression is “the thought is parent to the deed”. Once you “think” something it’s no longer “unthinkable”.

Golly.

And next, Putin, up close and personal.  What on earth is going on here?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, veejay said:

If someone had described Trump to me 10 years ago in all his absurd actions and his bizarre appearance and said: "This man will be the President of the USA (nominated by the GOP and elected by American people)", I would have thought that was a very, very bad joke.

It was a silly joke (sort of). Then all of a sudden it was not a joke.

Quote

President Lisa Simpsons in 2000's 'Bart to the Future' (Fox/The Simpsons)

Her first term does, however, follow Mr Trump, who left her "quite a budget crunch" to deal with.

"How bad is it, Secretary van Houten?" she asks from her chair in the Oval Office.

"We're broke," he replies.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/entertainment/2016/11/the-simpsons-trump-predictions-busted.html

I expect he will never be reelected and the voter turn out will be the biggest ever if he runs again (if he lasts till the next election). IMO he is motivating a big turn out to vote against him specifically. I'd expect this to work against the republicans too.

Why? Well I think truth will prevail over lies. Just Faith in the Truth I guess.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

I expect he will never be reelected and the voter turn out will be the biggest ever if he runs again (if he lasts till the next election). IMO he is motivating a big turn out to vote against him specifically.

I believe that is what Hilary thought as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nogravitasatall said:

It’s rather alarming really. He has labelled the EU a foe. And he’s got the missiles.

It's really bad but not that bad. I mean progress on climate change is unfortunately not going to happen while he is in office. He means he sees the EU as an economic foe. He would like to break it up so he can dominate trade. I don't think he is looking for a war with the EU. I'd expect if there is to be war it will be with Iran.

3 minutes ago, chucky said:

I believe that is what Hilary thought as well.

No. There is a big difference. Trump has been in office.  Now people know voting really matters and if they stay at home the madness could continue. Could get worse.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

It's really bad but not that bad. I mean progress on climate change is unfortunately not going to happen while he is in office. He means he sees the EU as an economic foe. He would like to break it up so he can dominate trade. I don't think he is looking for a war with the EU. I'd expect if there is to be war it will be with Iran.

No. There is a big difference. Trump has been in office.  Now people know voting really matters and if they stay at home the madness could continue. Could get worse.

Well, maybe. But things escalate. And the fish rots from the head. Who knows who much malign effect this guy will have on hearts and minds.

OR it’s a  11 dimensions chess style leftist ploy to get all the reactionaries to show their colours so they know who to put into those FEMA death camps next time a black socialist steals the presidency. Trump could be that clever. /s

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Well, maybe. But things escalate. And the fish rots from the head. Who knows who much malign effect this guy will have on hearts and minds.

There is much diversity within populations all over. Lets just hope the rest of the world avoids alienating the Americans that will fight trump. We all live on a rather small bit of rock in a big mostly black universe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nogravitasatall said:

OR it’s a  11 dimensions chess style leftist ploy to get all the reactionaries to show their colours so they know who to put into those FEMA death camps next time a black socialist steals the presidency. Trump could be that clever. /s

:sarcastichand:

Of course not. But what language is he using?

Quote

"You wouldn't think of the European Union, but they're a foe. Russia is a foe in certain respects," he said. "China is a foe economically, certainly they are a foe. ... It means that they are competitive."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/07/15/president-donald-trump-calls-european-union-foe/786663002/

He is not talking diplomat. He never does. This time he did at least tell us all what he meant(in bold). He is talking like a building contractor (and perhaps a dishonest one) and not like a president.  We have a 70 year old smarter version of "Chauncey Gardiner" running the big super power.

donald-trump-as-chauncey-gardner.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

There is much diversity within populations all over. Lets just hope the rest of the world avoids alienating the Americans that will fight trump. We all live on a rather small bit of rock in a big mostly black universe.

I saw an article (the Atlantic?) that an active 25% of the population is all that it takes to effect change. So in this case “the middle” needs to get active to counter the extreme 25%. And they should be out at the mid-terms- to counter the effect of the primaries that tend to nominate extremists.. 8 years of Trump will cement change. Even two years of unrestrained Trump is leaving scars. And we have seen his record. He isn’t really cut out for long term stewardship. He is a bulldozer,  Chauncey was at least a gardener. :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

I saw an article (the Atlantic?) that an active 25% of the population is all that it takes to effect change. So in this case “the middle” needs to get active to counter the extreme 25%. And they should be out at the mid-terms- to counter the effect of the primaries that tend to nominate extremists.. 8 years of Trump will cement change. Even two years of unrestrained Trump is leaving scars. And we have seen his record. He isn’t really cut out for long term stewardship. He is a bulldozer,  Chauncey was at least a gardener. :)

Just wait until Kavanaugh gets into SCOTUS. It will be just great. Who knows even Roe v Wade might get overturned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ajond said:

Just wait until Kavanaugh gets into SCOTUS. It will be just great. Who knows even Roe v Wade might get overturned.

And then Trump will be expendable for the Evangelicals.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ajond said:

Just wait until Kavanaugh gets into SCOTUS. It will be just great. Who knows even Roe v Wade might get overturned.

You really want that? 19th century healthcare for women? Wow. That’s bold. The USA had then better make sure all the blokes keep it in their pants if that happens. Maybe someone could form some kind of religious organisation to monitor that.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
Manners
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, djsurrey said:

I expect he will never be reelected and the voter turn out will be the biggest ever if he runs again (if he lasts till the next election). IMO he is motivating a big turn out to vote against him specifically. I'd expect this to work against the republicans too.

Don't underestimate the stupidity of the average american. As 2016 has shown, way too many people can be made to believe anything. Add to that more help from the Russians, and republicans, especially in swing states, purging Democratic-leaning voters from the rolls, and he may get enough electoral  votes, like he did in 2016.

7 hours ago, chucky said:

I believe that is what Hilary thought as well.

And what Trump thought. And everyone in his campaign. And every media outlet, even Trump TV. And the Russians.

3 hours ago, ajond said:

Just wait until Kavanaugh gets into SCOTUS. It will be just great. Who knows even Roe v Wade might get overturned.

Okay, lets assume that comes to pass. What do you think will happen afterwards? Or what do you hope will happen afterwards?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, son-goku5 said:

Don't underestimate the stupidity of the average american.

I'm not buying that. The average American today is no different from the average American when Obama was elected.

Tariffs are going to make stuff more expensive. People are going to loose farms and jobs in the swing states. Coal jobs are not coming back. I'm hoping computer systems will be hardened. There is growing awareness of social media manipulation. People will tire of constant lies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, djsurrey said:

I'm not buying that. The average American today is no different from the average American when Obama was elected.

Tariffs are going to make stuff more expensive. People are going to loose farms and jobs in the swing states. Coal jobs are not coming back. I'm hoping computer systems will be hardened. There is growing awareness of social media manipulation. People will tire of constant lies.

Yes, tariffs are going to make stuff more expensive and people are going to lose jobs and farms in swing  or red states. But then, Trump and republicans will blame Obama and/or Democrats for that and the Low information voters will believe that because during the last eight years, the conservative fact bubble has only gotten thicker. Just think of how many women still vote republican even when the people they vote for want to make women citizens of second class.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2018 at 11:42 AM, joyceraye said:

Well done, Prime Minister, for not laughing on TV this morning when Andrew Marr asked you to tell us what the 'suggestion' was that Trump said you didn't listen to.

Did you practise keeping a straight face, or was it sheer horror that this man runs a country ?

And thank you, Mr Trump, for reversing  last night what you said last week. Last week you said that when the UK left the EU  the USA would no longer trade with us since they'd rather trade with the EU. Last night you said the USA would trade with Britain because the EU was now your trading foe, a bigger foe indeed than Russia and China. Such a relief ! 

 

Edited by joyceraye
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ajond said:

Just wait until Kavanaugh gets into SCOTUS. It will be just great. Who knows even Roe v Wade might get overturned.

Roe v. Wade was not, specifically, about abortion rights, but rather, privacy rights.

I, for one, don't want to lose my privacy rights.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2018 at 10:03 PM, djsurrey said:

I don't know what he actually thinks but it seems this stuff resonates with his base of support. In that respect being separated from reality does not necessarily make him crazy. Like a sales man he says what he thinks his base is wanting to hear.

I have a chance to listen to some news now as my daughter is done her shift. I have not heard today's news yet.

His base loves it and to be honest there are people in Britain who love it. It depends on how they feel about Brexit. I ran into some when I was there.

16 hours ago, legacy99 said:

Actually 3 million more people voted for Clinton i stood in line for an hour and a half to vote for her

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
 

The problem is that she was as terrible a candidate as he was. She could not get elected 8 years earlier with less baggage. I do not know why anyone thought she could get elected 8 years later with more. The fact that we went from at least 16 candidates to these two idiots blows my mind. But I used to date a guy in college who had a crush on her when they went to Maine South high school together so I might know some stories not everyone knows.

Edited by Die Zimtzicke
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

She could not get elected 8 years earlier with less baggage.

My understanding was that Obama was extraordinarily popular as a candidate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

The problem is that she was as terrible a candidate as he was. She could not get elected 8 years earlier with less baggage. I do not know why anyone thought she could get elected 8 years later with more. The fact that we went from at least 16 candidates to these two idiots blows my mind. But I used to date a guy in college who had a crush on her when they went to Maine South high school together so I might know some stories not everyone knows.

True, she always was a terrible candidate. But if Barack Obama hadn't emerged, she'd have won the Democratic nomination and most likely been elected President back then (lets face it, it was basically impossible for the republicans to win after the record Bush II had left them).

But personally, I'd rather have a terrible candidate who would most likely have been a very good President than someone who's basically an internet troll who managed to convince too many people to vote for him with empty promises and exaggerations

Edited by son-goku5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

His base loves it

Reality will catch up with him and his base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.