The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Chit Chat: Season 11

5 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

I saw the bear-proof bins in Canada! Aren't hikers just snacks?

The garbage could become snacks if/when it is not secured. Bears become a lot more dangerous when they start to associate people with food. My adult kids have done a lot of camping and hiking without issues. I have done less but never had an issue. 

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/misc/bears/ 

Local search and rescue typically find hikers not prepared for the weather conditions or who took on more than they could handle. Bear attacks are relatively rare but they happen. We have wild life coming into the city but mostly smaller critters. Bears are more common on and near the north shore mountains.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/oh-deer-the-surprising-source-of-many-of-b-c-s-aggressive-wildlife-reports-1.4750419 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 1:26 PM, djsurrey said:

The garbage could become snacks if/when it is not secured. Bears become a lot more dangerous when they start to associate people with food. My adult kids have done a lot of camping and hiking without issues. I have done less but never had an issue. 

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/misc/bears/ 

Local search and rescue typically find hikers not prepared for the weather conditions or who took on more than they could handle. Bear attacks are relatively rare but they happen. We have wild life coming into the city but mostly smaller critters. Bears are more common on and near the north shore mountains.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/oh-deer-the-surprising-source-of-many-of-b-c-s-aggressive-wildlife-reports-1.4750419 

We had this earlier in the year. 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-16/wallaby-hops-across-sydney-harbour-bridge-surprising-motorists/9332050

8 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

The most bizarre animal video I have seen from BC. It reminds me of Yogi (smarter than the average bear).

The take away. Lock your doors in Whistler.

https://globalnews.ca/video/3531281/video-captures-b-c-black-bear-opening-van-door

A black bear in Whistler was recently caught opening a van door and casually climbing inside as the owner of the vehicle recorded it all on camera.

Oh. There was also the sea lion on a Richmond dock.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sea-lion-drags-girl-into-water-off-steveston-docks-in-richmond-b-c-1.4126203

"You wouldn't go up to a grizzly bear in the bush and hand him a ham sandwich, so you shouldn't be handing a thousand-pound wild mammal in the water slices of bread," Kiesman said. 

"And you certainly shouldn't be letting your little girl sit on the edge of the dock with her dress hanging down after the sea lion has already snapped at her once. Just totally reckless behaviour."

Kiesman said that there are similar issues with people feeding marine mammals throughout B.C., including Prince Rupert, Comox and Victoria.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 2:17 AM, chucky said:

I fear that as long as there are different races, there will be racism. As long as there is hate, then there'll be racism. It can and it will get better, but, it will never go away completely. 

On 5/30/2018 at 8:17 PM, April said:

It's not my intention to twist your words but what am I supposed to take away from your post when the topic at hand ultimately is racism in the USA and you're going on a tangent about gingers in the UK? It gives me the impression that you do not grasp the problem with Roseanne Barr's comments and the subsequent reactions to it. It's not about some goody two shoes "everybody has to be nice to each other" kindergarten thing. It's about a prominent person saying very offensive things and the general public, including the company that produced her show, not being okay with it.  Since when has "being against racism" become a bad thing?

And as an aside, the idea of "well, gingers are bullied in the UK and nobody says a thing" isn't true anymore today either. There's plenty of discussion about it in the media and people complain about offensive language in the UK as well. Heck, I remember one of the show runners of Doctor Who saying that the BBC got a bunch of angry letters because viewers felt the show was making fun of gingers. Turns out said viewers got the scene wrong in which the Doctor was disappointed that he didn't become a ginger after regeneration. Times are a changing and just because things may have been acceptable 50 years ago doesn't mean people still put up with everything now - no matter what side of the Atlantic.

Racism still isn't over and I fear it will take a few more generations to fix this (if it even can be "fixed").

Don't mean to bump up an old discussion from last spring but as I was not on this forum  all (or most of it) summer and just reading this thread posts.  I have to agree that racism will always exist.  It might get a little  better than or there may  be  less of it in a couple generations,  but I don't think  the world will ever  be free of racism.  It has existed for centuries and will continue too I think. 

People thought The Civil Right Movement would end racism but it didn't, People thought Obama becoming president would end racism but it don't.  It actually made things kind of worst  and probably set the United States back (20-25 years)  generation when it comes to racism.  It always been a two steps forward one step back kind of thing since the 1960s. 

I agree with Chucky.   As long as there are different races, nationalities and ethnicities in the world there will always be racism and hatred. e

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan

Mid-term vote going on in American, exciting to watch. Did you all vote? Question to my American buds. Why are there only two parties in American politics? What is the two-party system? And why are there no other political parties allowed? How is this a democracy? Sorry, just asking because, Google it but still don't understand.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Mid-term vote going on in American, exciting to watch. Did you all vote? Question to my American buds. Why are there only two parties in American politics? What is the two-party system? And why are there no other political parties allowed? How is this a democracy? Sorry, just asking because, Google it but still don't understand.

Their allowed but they don't draw much attention

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Their allowed but they don't draw much attention

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Oh okay, just no mention of any other political parties. In the UK even the ones that are not popular still get a voice in the media during elections. Mid or not. No disrespect, just trying to understand American politics.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

Oh okay, just no mention of any other political parties. In the UK even the ones that are not popular still get a voice in the media during elections. Mid or not. No disrespect, just trying to understand American politics.

It's hard to understand American politics. Right now, it looks as if they're more divided on partisan lines than during the Civil War. Other parties exist, like the Green Party or the Libertarians but they're usually not on ballots for national races because there are certain requirements you need to have to be on those ballots. And if a third party becomes too big, they usually get swallowed by either the Democrats or republicans. Like Dean Norris' character in The West Wing said so fittingly: "In every other country, the republican party would be three different parties."

And the United States is the only democracy I know where one party actively tries to have less people vote.

Just a few example of what republicans are doing to suppress votes in areas where more people vote for Democrats:

- In Houston, voting machines were not working at multiple polling places

- At Martin Luther King Jr. High School in Detroit, they turned voters away because they couldn't find the voting machines. Yes, you read that right, they couldn't find them. Later they learned that they were in a storage closet to which the polling workers had no key for

- In Gwinnett county in Georgia, the machines that give you your ticket to vote weren't working

And the thing is, all those places have early voting, so why are these problems appearing on election day?

• Like 3

On 11/7/2018 at 12:33 AM, Tonstar17 said:

It's much simpler for us. We had a referendum about seven years ago and voted to keep it that way. When the UK government's time's up we have one election for one MP and that's it. Same for local councils. There isn't even a parliament or assembly for England, unlike the other three. And we don't have to faff about with a European election any more.

In the UK every party with more than a certain number of candidates gets free air time on TV and radio to make Party Political Broadcasts. I think Americans have to pay, which means richer parties can buy more time. Also, British candidates are legally limited as to how much they are allowed to spend per constituent. Jiggery-pokery such as son-goku5 mentioned is illegal in UK and a judge would declare an election null and void and make them run it again.

We don't have elections for Head of State either :  the post is for life. Once Coronation vows have been made he or she has to do something really bad for the country to get removed. It hasn't happened for three hundred and thirty years, unless you count 1936. The Queen is the most knowledgeable constitutional scholar we have. She should be: she was chosen for the job when she was ten. We only elect one of our Houses of Parliament too. We know who our Member of Parliament is. In the other House if somebody's in charge of a religion, is a former judge,former Prime Minister, makes a great scientific breakthrough, runs a university, leads a charity, is a good actor, a farmer or in some way has much to offer, they can get a life peerage and they don't have to be a politician, although some are. There's quite a spread from all walks of life and they can have any party allegiance they like.

Imagine living in a place forty times the size of us, with five times the population and a three-hour time difference between East and West, having to elect both Houses plus a Head of State who can't serve more than eight years, not to mention Governors. The US is enormous. In their local elections they also have to vote for who does certain jobs such as judges ! I can't even speculate how  our small parties such as The Monster Raving Loony Party, UKIP, Liberal Democrats or The Greens would cope. But as Sheldon says, 'It's fun to think about.'. 

5 hours ago, joyceraye said:

It's much simpler for us. We had a referendum about seven years ago and voted to keep it that way. When the UK government's time's up we have one election for one MP and that's it. Same for local councils. There isn't even a parliament or assembly for England, unlike the other three. And we don't have to faff about with a European election any more.

Same here in Germany. We only elect members of the Bundestag (our version of congress). We don't even elect our Chancellor. We elect parties and those who create the winning coalition elect the chancellor in their first session. Usually, the parties nominate a chancellor candidate before any election and that person is the reason the party gets the vote from a voter. Our version of the Senate is called the Bundesrat and its members are the Governors and Lt. Governors of the various federal states.

And we don't get locked government in our country because even if Bundestag and Bundesrat were of different majorities, our politicians still know that they have to govern for the people and not against each other.

In the UK every party with more than a certain number of candidates gets free air time on TV and radio to make Party Political Broadcasts. I think Americans have to pay, which means richer parties can buy more time. Also, British candidates are legally limited as to how much they are allowed to spend per constituent. Jiggery-pokery such as son-goku5 mentioned is illegal in UK and a judge would declare an election null and void and make them run it again.

In Germany, election advertisement is allowed for 3 months before the election and it's majorily of the posters and billboard kind. Granted, I don't watch a lot of network or cable TV but I have never seen a TV commercial for a party or candidate for any office.

US elections more often than not begin a year before election day, no wonder it's so freakin' expensive.

We don't have elections for Head of State either :  the post is for life. Once Coronation vows have been made he or she has to do something really bad for the country to get removed. It hasn't happened for three hundred and thirty years, unless you count 1936. The Queen is the most knowledgeable constitutional scholar we have. She should be: she was chosen for the job when she was ten. We only elect one of our Houses of Parliament too. We know who our Member of Parliament is. In the other House if somebody's in charge of a religion, is a former judge,former Prime Minister, makes a great scientific breakthrough, runs a university, leads a charity, is a good actor, a farmer or in some way has much to offer, they can get a life peerage and they don't have to be a politician, although some are. There's quite a spread from all walks of life and they can have any party allegiance they like.

Well, we have a Bundespräsident, which is the office more for representation. He or she is also nominated and elected by the Bundestag.

Imagine living in a place forty times the size of us, with five times the population and a three-hour time difference between East and West, having to elect both Houses plus a Head of State who can't serve more than eight years, not to mention Governors. The US is enormous. In their local elections they also have to vote for who does certain jobs such as judges ! I can't even speculate how  our small parties such as The Monster Raving Loony Party, UKIP, Liberal Democrats or The Greens would cope. But as Sheldon says, 'It's fun to think about.'. 

I have seen some US ballots. It's totally crazy how packed they are. And as seen in the last election in Florida, they fixed the Senate election in favor of the republican candidate (who is still the governor until January) by changing the ballot for the largest county that has the most Democratic voters. The senate race was in the lower left or lower right of the ballot instead of at the top below the governor race where it should have been. A lot of people in that county didn't vote in the Senate race, probably because they were tired of voting for so many positions.

And the fact that in so many states, local judges, attorneys general and sheriffs have to be elected is mindboggling to me. How can you be an impartial arbiter if you have to pander to a certain voter group so you can get reelected later?

Example, Texas. A field director for Texas Democratic congressional candidate Mike Siegel was arrested after he delivered a letter demanding that Waller County update the registration status of thousands of students at a nearby college whose eligibility to vote this November was thrown in flux the day before. He took a picture of the clerk so he had proof that he delivered the letter. And before he was arrested, he was asked who he worked for. I doubt that man would have been arrested if he were working for the republican.

Edited by son-goku5
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 7:32 PM, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Don't mean to bump up an old discussion from last spring but as I was not on this forum  all (or most of it) summer and just reading this thread posts.  I have to agree that racism will always exist.  It might get a little  better than or there may  be  less of it in a couple generations,  but I don't think  the world will ever  be free of racism.  It has existed for centuries and will continue too I think. 

People thought The Civil Right Movement would end racism but it didn't, People thought Obama becoming president would end racism but it don't.  It actually made things kind of worst  and probably set the United States back (20-25 years)  generation when it comes to racism.  It always been a two steps forward one step back kind of thing since the 1960s. 

I agree with Chucky.   As long as there are different races, nationalities and ethnicities in the world there will always be racism and hatred. e

It appears to me the pace of change is just different in different places. In western Canada for example change is rapid in more densely populated places and slow in areas that are sparsely populated. The city I live in for example has had extraordinary growth and great ethnic diversity.

Immigration to Surrey has drastically increased since the 1990s; this has created a more ethnically and linguistically diverse city. 52% do not speak English as their first language, ...

Population history
Year Pop. ±%
1986 154,310 —    
1991 208,706 +35.3%
1996 304,477 +45.9%
2001 347,825 +14.2%
2006 394,976 +13.6%
2011 468,251 +18.6%
2016 517,887 +10.6%
Source: Statistics Canada

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrey,_British_Columbia#Demographics 

It seems to me that the increasing diversity here has lead to more tolerance and acceptance rather than more racism. It is of course a very young city with little history.

Edited by djsurrey
typo