The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wesside

New tenure theory

So in the season 6 episode 20 the tenure turbulence Amy mentions that if Sheldon were to get tenure he could take advantage of his new found stability and move out. Now I know people are saying that if one of the 3 main characters, Raj, Sheldon, or Leonard get tenure it would change the whole dynamic of the group. Well after season six Leonard and Sheldon begin to fight not often and Leonard's starts to separate. (Spoil alert) Leonard gets married, convinces Sheldon to move out, and slowly starts hanging out more with just penny rather then the rest of the group. What of these signs were subtle hints that in fact Leonard is the one that got tenure especially after he admits to penny at the end of season six before Leonard goes on the exploration for Steven Hawkins that he has been jealous lately because so much is happening for Leonard and not him. For jealousy like that it would usually take more than just one singular event to get a reaction from Sheldon given that he didn't care when Howard went to space

• Like 1

I would love it if we found out retrospectively that Leonard got tenure and or maybe that he is also lecturing (he will be great at that, IMO). But I don't think these were signs...*S10 information here* Leonard got married, Sheldon now lives with his girlfriend (probably soon fiancé). I think they naturally drifted a bit apart although they still hang out a lot. About the rest of the gang...I don't think they grew much apart, in S10 you could see that Lenny invite them over and that they have this couple-friendship with Howardette. Also I do not see why the tenure would make them drift apart, what Amy said about moving out was from a financial perspective. If anything it would make this theory less reasonable because if Lenny are kind of good and stable financially then why do they stay in their apartment and don't buy a house? Unless...Leonard hides his progress to avoid making Sheldon jealous and hence extra condescending. That would make sense to me and could work for a different kind of promotion too, it doesn't have to be tenure. Anyway if they reveal on season 11 or 12 that Leonard, Raj or Kripke (I don't count Sheldon because I think he would have say it million times if he did and also in "The Junior Professor Solution" it didn't seem like he's got tenure) got that tenured position I think it will be a decision that they made at the time of revelation and not in season 6. I don't think they decided then and if they did they probably forgot about it.

• Like 1

Grants are also a determinant of success and status in all fields, but especially in science.  Sheldon got the grant and a pay raise after doing the math that discovered the new element thingie.

So, tenure is just one.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2017 at 11:47 AM, Capt. Hilts said:

Grants are also a determinant of success and status in all fields, but especially in science.  Sheldon got the grant and a pay raise after doing the math that discovered the new element thingie.

So, tenure is just one.

Yeah, but the method didn't work, due to Sheldon's error, and the discovery of the element was a hoax, as Leonard's experiment showed.  So he got a grant and a pay raise based on something that later was found to be a failure.  That's taken into account also.  

• Like 1