Jump to content

1101 - The Proposal Proposal (September 25)


Tripper
 Share

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Who's to say he wasn't a father-figure ? He was more than forty years older than Sheldon and perhaps the only living older man he knew with whom he could identify in terms of respecting his knowledge and who knew Amy. From what we've heard of them his uncles weren't men he'd respect enough and they didn't know Amy anyway.

Stephen Hawking, according to Sheldon's own words was his friend due to that "Fun with Friends" game he played with him. That and with those twenty something voice messages where he was down right disrespectful to him are the only times we know that he contacted Dr Hawking. There was two times Dr Hawking contacted him, although one time was with Leonard as well. Then throw in the time Sheldon feigned in front of the man. I'm sorry, I don't see any father figure actions. Maybe it happened off screen, but that is open each persons interpretation.

Now, I can see Sheldon asking Dr Hawking's opinion on whether he should get married, but not permission.

Just watched the beginning of S11/E1 and he asked for Stephen Hawking's blessing, not opinion. Even Amy, Penny and Leonard were wondering why he would get the man's blessing. 

Edited by chucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, chucky said:

Stephen Hawking, according to Sheldon's own words was his friend due to that "Fun with Friends" game he played with him. That and with those twenty something voice messages where he was down right disrespectful to him are the only times we know that he contacted Dr Hawking. There was two times Dr Hawking contacted him, although one time was with Leonard as well. Then throw in the time Sheldon feigned in front of the man. I'm sorry, I don't see any father figure actions. Maybe it happened off screen, but that is open each persons interpretation.

He sang for Sheldon's birthday. He cheered Sheldon up when Bert won the McArthur award. Considering Sheldon's very limited emotional universe and the extremely small number of people he believes are even his equal let alone his superior,it wouldn't surprise me if Professor Hawking were a father-figure in his mind. Hawking was the only suitable living male of the older generation Sheldon knew anyway. He couldn't ask Leonard's father, or Raj's. In real life Prof Hawking agreed to come on the show and advise him to get engaged to Amy, so he must have thought it likely Sheldon would have asked him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, joyceraye said:

He sang for Sheldon's birthday. He cheered Sheldon up when Bert won the McArthur award. Considering Sheldon's very limited emotional universe and the extremely small number of people he believes are even his equal let alone his superior,it wouldn't surprise me if Professor Hawking were a father-figure in his mind. Hawking was the only suitable living male of the older generation Sheldon knew anyway. He couldn't ask Leonard's father, or Raj's. In real life Prof Hawking agreed to come on the show and advise him to get engaged to Amy, so he must have thought it likely Sheldon would have asked him. 

Clearly we are on different sides on this issue, I respect your opinion and your right to have that opinion. But I'm firmly on the other side of this issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes things on this show are ridiculous, it's a sitcom and that's part of its humor. Sheldon does weird things like that. Hawking is one of the very few people he respects so he wanted his blessing. The closest he has to a father figure is Leonard, and while that is the closest it is still very far; Sheldon in his Sheldon ways is unlikely to admit that and usually resolves to disrespect Leonard; and Sheldon doesn't need to call him to know that he would be happy that Sheldon is going to propose to Amy.

I personally just found that funny. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bfm said:

Sometimes things on this show are ridiculous, it's a sitcom and that's part of its humor. Sheldon does weird things like that. Hawking is one of the very few people he respects so he wanted his blessing. The closest he has to a father figure is Leonard, and while that is the closest it is still very far; Sheldon in his Sheldon ways is unlikely to admit that and usually resolves to disrespect Leonard; and Sheldon doesn't need to call him to know that he would be happy that Sheldon is going to propose to Amy.

I personally just found that funny. 

 

I'm glad you and others liked it. I, myself, thought it was both funny and ridiculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
18 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Why did Amy ask if it was Dr. Nowitzki in the Cafeteria, when she already knew what Ramona looks like?

Unlike the others, she'd not seen her in the flesh before. Amy did not go to work at Caltech until after Ramona would have left. Ramona was a post - grad student so she would have been there for one year or possibly two. We don't know where she did her doctorate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Unlike the others, she'd not seen her in the flesh before. Amy did not go to work at Caltech until after Ramona would have left. Ramona was a post - grad student so she would have been there for one year or possibly two. We don't know where she did her doctorate.

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 11/8/2019 at 2:14 PM, Stephen Hawking said:

Even so, surely Amy would've recognised her?

I think she was startled. If I ever saw a famous person I'd probably go, "Holy Crap! Is that _____?" even if I knew damned well it was them. Perhaps it was sort of like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.