Tripper

101 - Pilot (September 25)

Season 1, Episode 1 - Pilot

Airs September 25, 2017 at 8:30/7:30c on CBS

9-year-old Sheldon Cooper is a once-in-a-generation mind capable of advanced mathematics and science but learns that isn't always helpful growing up in East Texas, a land where church and football are king.

• Like 6

It was fine but we saw a lot of minutes of it in the trailer. I'll watch some more but I have no idea how they are going to keep an audience yet.

• Like 2

I'll say they well initially keep the audience with the tbb lead in. But once that ends. I don't know. 

• Like 1

I liked the episode. It's certainly different from TBBT and less funny, but I found the dynamics in the Cooper family pretty interesting. Actually, I was more interested in the reactions all of them had to Sheldon than to Sheldon himself. The scene in the locker room between George Jr. and his father was my favourite part of the episode, which is pretty telling, because I wasn't that interested in those characters before...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mirs1 said:

I liked the episode. It's certainly different from TBBT and less funny, but I found the dynamics in the Cooper family pretty interesting. Actually, I was more interested in the reactions all of them had to Sheldon than to Sheldon himself. The scene in the locker room between George Jr. and his father was my favourite part of the episode, which is pretty telling, because I wasn't that interested in those characters before...

I've wondered about how grown-up Missy feels  if her son is  as highly intelligent and as academically inclined as Sheldon. She must wonder at first if she's saddled for life with the same crap she grew up with. I hope he doesn't have Sheldon's disorders.

Young Sheldon pulled in a 10.7 Household rating, and a 17 share, for it's Premiere.  It held on to  94% of the audience from The Big Bang Theory.  This is a pretty good accomplishment, as over the last few years, the typical series that followed TBBT, would only hold on to around 50% of it's audience.  I'll add other ratings as they come in today.  

• Like 5

Overnights and Demo Breakouts for 26 September, 2017

The Young Sheldon pilot brought in a 3.7 demo (18-49), with 16.57 million viewers.   In the 18-34 demo, it had a 1.9 and in the 25-54 demo, it had a 5.3.  

It's standing compared to other shows last night can be found here.

I'll put up the finals when they come in.  

• Like 5

Just an FYI, Young Sheldon had the most viewers for a premiere, since Two Broke Girls, in 2011, and the highest rated (18-49 demo) since the premiere of The Crazy Ones, in 2013.

• Like 7

To me it felt more like a funny at times drama thana comedy. I think some parts were touching, telling the story of a family trying to deal with a child that is very different. For me Zoe Perry made for the most touching parts, but I also liked that scene between the Georges. I think the siblings actors did really good.

As for Sheldon, I think he was too emotionally responsive and not neurotic enough for me to think of him as Sheldon. I think a big part of early TBBT Sheldon was his tics and nervous movement, these made for some of the most iconic moments. Him making such good eye contact with complete stranger was also weird to me. I did find it interesting that they had these parts that make you see things from his eyes. For him some things that others would merely notice are overwhelming and threatening. Establishing his different perception may help them justify difference between the way he tells some stories and what we see on screen.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

Week 01 Final Ratings For Tuesday, September 26, 2017.  For broadcasts, 25 September, 2017

At 8:30 PM, was the premiere of Young Sheldon, 1.01, Pilot, brought in a 3.8, with 17.21 million people, up a tenth in demo and up (640,000) viewers from the overnights. 

This was an outstanding premier for Young Sheldon as it was up 1.2 demo points, and 6.13 million viewers from last year's Kevin Can Wait premiere.  

The comparisons for other shows last night can be found here.

Tensor

• Like 6

I have just watched the pilot and I need to watch more for doing a proper judgement. The issue is the dynamic of the scenes. I know it is not like tbbt but there is something about the pace of the scenes that imo are too slow, you know. TBH if it was not about Sheldon who I love as character , I would not watch more. Hence I will give the benefit of the doubt and watch next episode.

Anyway, Ian is really great and his interaction with Zoe was brilliant. My favourites scenes were their scenes.

Sorry for be a bummer but it was how I felt. Hopefully it might be only first impression and change my mind soon though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bfm said:

To me it felt more like a funny at times drama thana comedy. I think some parts were touching, telling the story of a family trying to deal with a child that is very different. For me Zoe Perry made for the most touching parts, but I also liked that scene between the Georges. I think the siblings actors did really good.

As for Sheldon, I think he was too emotionally responsive and not neurotic enough for me to think of him as Sheldon. I think a big part of early TBBT Sheldon was his tics and nervous movement, these made for some of the most iconic moments. Him making such good eye contact with complete stranger was also weird to me. I did find it interesting that they had these parts that make you see things from his eyes. For him some things that others would merely notice are overwhelming and threatening. Establishing his different perception may help them justify difference between the way he tells some stories and what we see on screen.

He's still only nine. There's still a wide-eyed curiosity and confidence about him. He's got a few years of having the stuffing knocked out of him to come before he's neurotic and devising ways to cover up fears.

On 27.9.2017 at 12:53 PM, joyceraye said:

He's still only nine. There's still a wide-eyed curiosity and confidence about him. He's got a few years of having the stuffing knocked out of him to come before he's neurotic and devising ways to cover up fears.

I don't see older Sheldon as someone who's curiousity and joie de vivre was sucked out of him. He can be very lively and enthusiastic. In "emotionally responsive" I was referring to social emotional reciprocity. Also when older Sheldon is excited, especially in early seasons, his expression of this excitment is eccentric, at times awkward. Same goes for his expression of other feelings. 

Edited by bfm
typo
  • Like 2

One can only assume he will become more socially isolated and develop his quirks later. More like a hermit than like someone on the spectrum.

• Like 1

For the premiere of Young Sheldon, the Live + 3 ratings increase came to 1.4 demo points, with 4.28 million more viewers.   This gave Young Sheldon a 5.2 rating, with 21.50 million viewers.   It was tied for third (with TBBT) for demo increase, and was fourth in viewer increase.  It was third in total demo and second in total viewers.  

• Like 4

I watched it yesterday and liked it a lot. The actor who played Sheldon was very good but for me his parents stole the show. Zoe Perry was great as Mary (it must help that her mom plays Mary in TBBT) and I actually liked George Sr, really liked him in fact which I found surprising. The only character I didn't like was George Jr.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Judith said:

I watched it yesterday and liked it a lot. The actor who played Sheldon was very good but for me his parents stole the show. Zoe Perry was great as Mary (it must help that her mom plays Mary in TBBT) and I actually liked George Sr, really liked him in fact which I found surprising. The only character I didn't like was George Jr.

His mother and sister were the real standouts to me. The sister was really surprising as I had heard great reports about Zoe's performance, but the young actress who plays Sheldon's sister seems to have great comedy timing and delivery which is rare for someone so young.

• Like 4