Any "Atypical" fans out there?

Hello! :)

I have started to watch this tv show from Netflix because a friend of mine recommended it and I got hooked since pilot ! I am going to watch episode five soon but for what I have seen seven episodes seem not enough for know more from Sam's family. Thoughts?

Edited by spidergirl

I loved this show, watched the whole series over just a couple of days! It is an interesting look at high functioning autism and how it can affect the dynamics in a family. The acting was very good and I thought the story overall worked. I hope it gets a second season, it ended (spoiler alert!) with a cliff-hanger and lately Netflix has mercilessly cut a bunch of shows whose final episode had no closure. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mirs1 said:

I loved this show, watched the whole series over just a couple of days! It is an interesting look at high functioning autism and how it can affect the dynamics in a family. The acting was very good and I thought the story overall worked.I hope it gets a second season, it ended (spoiler alert!) with a cliff-hanger and lately Netflix has mercilessly cut a bunch of shows whose final episode had no closure. 

Me too! I think it would be not enough if it only had one season as there is so much potencial for more stories about that family and Sam's progress. 

Regards Netflix shows, I hope badly the "Anne with an e" could have at least one more season. Crossing fingers for both shows be renewed.

• Like 1

I've watched a couple episodes and had a more mixed reaction to it. Keep in mind I'm raising a high-functioning son with autism, now 15. Though I applaud Atypical for trying to show viewers HFA's (high-functioning autism) thoughts, what it's like in a family with an HFA member, etc. there were too many other things that bothered me. The kid has a job that requires customer service skills? Huh? How'd he pass the interview, or not get overwhelmed (and fired) at that job on a busy Saturday before Christmas? The truth is that employment is a HUGE challenge for folks on the spectrum, even so-called "high-functioning" ones. But the show wanted to have that set and situation available to drive plots, so it just ignores this reality and the kid has a job. 

I also thought the humour in the show sometimes came too much from "laughing at" than "laughing with". That said, I've only watched 2 episodes, so maybe this aspect improves. 

It also bothers me the way Sam's passion for penguins (and birds in general) is used in the show. Yes, many HFAs have intense passions for particular subjects, and often subjects others think is odd. The show only presents this as a "quirk" rather than a "strength". Many of the psychologists I've talked to or read say that we should encourage this passion/quirk, and direct education and career towards it--think Temple Grandin. So why isn't Sam studying ornithology, or animals in general? Working or volunteering at a zoo or nature centre or farm? Trying to meet young women at a Bird-watching group or meet-up? 

I wish the show included more on how HFAs have strengths as well as difficulties, and how to embrace those strengths rather than just focus on how Sam struggles to fit in his world. Like I said, my views on this are no doubt strongly affected by raising my son--whose "quirk" is paleontology, and to a lesser degree entomology and nature in general. Unlike Sam, my son (and I) has joined an adult paleontogy society, attends monthly talks, volunteers sorting fossils and has made invaluable career connections, has written articles for a paleontology newsletter, and is giving a talk to this society next month--at their request and encouragement. He has joined a Facebook group on identifying local Insects and has again made career connections with people working in this field, and gets compliments on what a smart kid he is and thanks for sharing his knowledge--from strangers on this group  (I'm on it too). Yes, my kid struggles in many ways just like Sam, but by embracing his quirks instead of treating them as something to be hidden ("don't talk about penguins with girls") he's got education and career prospects and, above all, sources for self-esteem and a positive self concept. Sam says he knows when he's being picked on in the show, but I think he's still got an unrealistically robust and positive self-concept for someone with HFA who hasn't figured out how to use his strengths in his life, and is always trying to "fit in". 

In fairness, at some level I think Atypical had to make choices that will rub those of us raising HFAs the wrong way. Showing everything accurately about their lives would not make good TV. :)

• Like 3

Last night I have watched the last three episodes and imo  it was an exciting series final! I hope badly that the show is renewed because if we did not have a closure for that cliffhanger, it would be too much cruel for the viewers who follow first season...

Regards Sam's job I share same opinion than @Irene. Although I dont have any experience with people on spectrum , that is one of the things I think show could do better as the way Sam interact with Zahid or with costumers seems as if Sam is be there like a casual costumer than an employee. I think it seems odd in some scenes , even for the sake of driving plots.

Thanks so much for your opinion, Irene. It is always helpful opinions from people with your experience about children on spectrum as these kind of  shows always had a fictional side that sometimes show things that in reality may influence the viewer perspective about real facts in wrong way.