The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
3ku11

The Orville

Anyone checked this out. Stars Seth Mcfarlene. He's also Executive Producer. It's kinda like a Sci Fi- Satorical Star Trek type show. Parody. Similar to UK sitcom Red Dwarf. I've seen clips. Yet to see the pilot yet. Looks promising. Refreshing. I well reserve judgement until after I see it. Anyone who's seen the first episode, what's your thoughts?

Watched it last night. It has potential. Not as much comedy as the trailers would make you think. More serious and less over the top than you'd expect from Seth Macfarlane which I think is a good thing.

On 9/13/2017 at 0:51 AM, gsxdoug said:

Watched it last night. It has potential. Not as much comedy as the trailers would make you think. More serious and less over the top than you'd expect from Seth Macfarlane which I think is a good thing.

Yeah it has promise. If it becomes a sorta "Galaxy Quest" type thing. It could work. ATM I think it's borrowing from Star Trek tropes too much. But I like the cast. So if it breaks away into its own thing. Then we'll see how it develops. I agree too Way Fox were promoting it. Seemed Family Guy in space. I'm glad it's not.

Edited by 3ku11

On 11/09/2017 at 8:54 AM, 3ku11 said:

Anyone checked this out. Stars Seth Mcfarlene. He's also Executive Producer. It's kinda like a Sci Fi- Satorical Star Trek type show. Parody. Similar to UK sitcom Red Dwarf. I've seen clips. Yet to see the pilot yet. Looks promising. Refreshing. I well reserve judgement until after I see it. Anyone who's seen the first episode, what's your thoughts?

Yeah, I've too noticed it reminded me of Red Dwarf...

I started watching The Orville online last week when there were five episodes.. Then I saw the current Red Dwarf XII and both shows surprised me.

Red Dwarf is back to churning out gold again and Rick and Morty hasn't quite got Seth MacFarlane licked yet because The Orville has better writing than I expected in terms of plot lines and stuff. Rick and Morty is still funny, but so is The Orville.

I like that people I've seen acting in Star Trek DS9 I see acting in the Orville and it does remind me of Star Trek and Red Dwarf done well.

The Orville is well written and layered because I didn't notice things in the pilot the first time I saw it but understood re watching the pilot after watching all the episodes I've seen 1 thru 6 (the ones released so far) just by chance.

Edited by ShelledInCoopedUp
  • Like 1

Yes, I've seen it and liked it even if , as someone said, it borrows (IMO too much) from Star Trek. I hope they'd tone down the jokes even more. If they do the show can become even better.

IMO, America's about 20 to 30 years behind the UK, while the 1980's saw the UK get  a  sitcom set in space , 2017 see's America finally getting the same concept.

'An everyday relatable sitcom, set in Space.'

There's a being on Red Dwarf who evolved from a house cat - That's got to be one of the best concepts ever (IMO)...

This cat evolved from a house cat that was stowed away by the human. The human who was caught with the house cat and put into cryogenic stasis as a result of smuggling the animal on board his spaceship he worked on, and then a tragic accident happened and killed the crew by radiation and the ship's computer waited until  the radiation died down before releasing the guy who smuggled on that house cat millions of years ago. - an everyday man.

In 1988, This Sci Fi sitcom about the last human, a hologram of a dead member of the crew and what an evolved cat looks like had an episode in deep space that saw them meet their female counter parts (it's still a Sci Fi sitcom); so when everyone met their female version of themselves, it turned out the human's female version had a dog, so when Cat (the creature that evolved from the house cat, they called Cat) was expecting to meet a lady cat, he met a dog person. LOL

In 1989, they went back in time though a wormhole by mistake to Earth and... Time was running backwards and... Actions like eating and whatever were in reverse. So at the end, the cat's reaction to going to the bathroom was priceless.

I think the Orville is well written, and has interesting story lines, and is like if Star Trek and Red Dwarf had a baby and then they made that baby talk about real drugs, however, Red Dwarf, to keep Red Dwarf family friendly -  talks about beer and curry and fictional drugs in the past tense (when the human when the hologram's character was still alive before the crew died, the human slipped this guy the hologram was 'space shrooms' as a practical joke that had a psychoactive effect).

Red Dwarf gets it's comedy from the human and the hologram being like 'The Odd Couple' and that's why the ship's computer selected that crewman who knew the human to be the 1 hologram that can be in operation at any one time.

The recent episode of The Orvile was just so brilliant. IT has been picked up for a second season too. So that is great gives it more time to develop. 

From Deadline Hollywood

‘The Orville’ Renewed For Season 2 By Fox

Seth MacFarlane’s space adventure series The Orville has been picked up for a second season by Fox. The decision comes seven episodes into The Orville‘s 13-episode first season. Because of the show’s elaborate production and post-production, including visual effects, The Orville had been intended for a limited season, and the early renewal will give it a head start on Season 2 whose exact length is TBD.

<full article in the link>

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be great if any new regulars to the Orville were cast using any of TBBT/The Big Bang Theory regulars?  

On 2/11/2018 at 2:09 PM, ShelledInCoopedUp said:

Wouldn't it be great if any new regulars to the Orville were cast using any of TBBT/The Big Bang Theory regulars?  

Do you mean if some of the current cast of TBBT were cast in the second season of The Orville?? I am not sure about that. I really like the cast of the Orville. All seemed to be cast really well. Like TBBT was. The Orville reminds me of a cross between Red Dwarf and Firefly. So I think it has some great potential. Be interesting where they take the show in its second season.

I've seen all the episodes of Red Dwarf and have the dvds, but not seen one episode of The Orville.