What if season 12 is it?

Kev0821

I know season 11 has only just begun airing, but what if season 12 is the last one? When would they announce that? I'm thinking next summer, but I can't believe Les Moonves would let the show go without a fight. I mean, the cast is only contracted through season 12, so negotiations for a potential 13th season probably wouldn't begin until season 12 hits the airwaves. I just can't believe that if those discussions would fail that they would announce 12 as the last of the series while in the middle of it. I would think that CBS/WB would want to build-up interest and dub it the "farewell" season. Then again, maybe they would begin discussions sooner, rather than later. Thoughts?

I think if the cast (or part of it) has decided to call quits, negotiations won't even start, hence S. 12 will be announced as the last one, so that it can be properly advertised. If at the beginning of S. 12 we haven't heard anything about the fate of the show yet, I think it means the cast is willing to continue and busy in negotiating their contracts.

8 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

I think if the cast (or part of it) has decided to call quits, negotiations won't even start, hence S. 12 will be announced as the last one, so that it can be properly advertised. If at the beginning of S. 12 we haven't heard anything about the fate of the show yet, I think it means the cast is willing to continue and busy in negotiating their contracts.

Johnny and Kaley seem quite sure season 12 will be the last. They may change their minds but my feelings are that they won't sign for more.

I guess it first and foremost depends on how this season develops. It started out really strong on Monday but that could be subject to change as the season goes on. Last season they were hitting ratings lows (though the numbers don't mean the same as they did when they started out) so it'll be interesting to see how S11 will fare. In any case: If TPTB see some more money left on the table they'll certainly go for a renewal if they can.

Then, as @mirs1 noted, it depends on whether or not the actors are actually up for another season or two. If one of them leaves I think that would be it cause it's such a tight ensemble.

I would expect them wanting to exploit the whole "the big farewell of Big Bang!!" marketing angle though so if it's really the end the first half of S12 would be good to announce that.

I think we will know sometime next season, probably early to mid Season 12. It will become clear if this is the last season or if there is a chance there might be another deal on the cards, the media will be full of negotiation talk around then.

If it's still making money and beating its competitors then they will of course offer them a new deal. Whether all the actors will go for it remains to be seen or not.

Don't rule out possibly ending the show in the current format but perhaps looking at some kind of spin-off. It's clear the brand is worth a lot of money and from other interviews I get the impression that YS will not be the only spin-off from the show if they think they can make it work. Mega successful shows have had spin-offs before with some of the original cast signing onto the new format. A spin-off could come in many different formats, perhaps a different type of show exploring different themes, maybe something less sitcom. YS is a very different type of show for example.

Or the whole thing could just end lol. Won't now until next year.

Well thing is they could easily wrap this show up in one episode. Woulden't take much effort really. I think it seems plausible that Season 12 is the end. Creatively their is not much they can do, particularly from a story sense. IT is getting to the point, of beating a dead horse. Financially though well be the difference. The amount of profit and revenue they can continue to suck out of this show. Well be the difference extending to a 13th season, and the negotiations between the cast obviousley. I remember the deal for Friends in Season Ten based around the cast wanting to pursue other projects. Johnny has a new pilot coming out for example, so this may come into play.

And of course It may get to the point the show well become to expensive to produce. I personally hoped Season 10 was the last season. I think the show has seen its best years, and it is entering "Overstaying our welcome territory". But I Still love the characters, so was not fussed either way. Johnny and Kaley are clearly preparing for the show ending at 12. 

As for potential spinoffs. For me personally no. Spinoffs from popular sitcoms rarley fare well. Spinoffs from succesfull sitcoms that I can think of, that did well. From the top of my head is The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Fraiser. Can't think of any beyond that. Obviousley the other end of the spectrum is Joey hahah. 

OF course we should know for sure prob around the Summer. IF Season 12 is the last. Then they well really want to amp up the advertising. For the "Farewell" Season. 

Edited by 3ku11

8 hours ago, bfm said:

Johnny and Kaley seem quite sure season 12 will be the last. They may change their minds but my feelings are that they won't sign for more.

Yes, I've gotten that impression from them. Jim has also expressed similar sentiments, but then again, his interview with Seth Meyers suggested that it could go beyond that. I guess no one really knows at this point. Even Chuck Lorre has said that it's too early to say for certain.

8 hours ago, April said:

I guess it first and foremost depends on how this season develops. It started out really strong on Monday but that could be subject to change as the season goes on. Last season they were hitting ratings lows (though the numbers don't mean the same as they did when they started out) so it'll be interesting to see how S11 will fare. In any case: If TPTB see some more money left on the table they'll certainly go for a renewal if they can.

Then, as @mirs1 noted, it depends on whether or not the actors are actually up for another season or two. If one of them leaves I think that would be it cause it's such a tight ensemble.

I would expect them wanting to exploit the whole "the big farewell of Big Bang!!" marketing angle though so if it's really the end the first half of S12 would be good to announce that.

Yeah, the ratings were huge, but some of that has to be due to the cliffhanger. Typically, the season premieres do well, and then the ratings semi-stabilize after that.

3 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Well thing is they could easily wrap this show up in one episode. Woulden't take much effort really. I think it seems plausible that Season 12 is the end. Creatively their is not much they can do, particularly from a story sense. IT is getting to the point, of beating a dead horse. Financially though well be the difference. The amount of profit and revenue they can continue to suck out of this show. Well be the difference extending to a 13th season, and the negotiations between the cast obviousley. I remember the deal for Friends in Season Ten based around the cast wanting to pursue other projects. Johnny has a new pilot coming out for example, so this may come into play.

And of course It may get to the point the show well become to expensive to produce. I personally hoped Season 10 was the last season. I think the show has seen its best years, and it is entering "Overstaying our welcome territory". But I Still love the characters, so was not fussed either way. Johnny and Kaley are clearly preparing for the show ending at 12. 

As for potential spinoffs. For me personally no. Spinoffs from popular sitcoms rarley fare well. Spinoffs from succesfull sitcoms that I can think of, that did well. From the top of my head is The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Fraiser. Can't think of any beyond that. Obviousley the other end of the spectrum is Joey hahah. 

OF course we should know for sure prob around the Summer. IF Season 12 is the last. Then they well really want to amp up the advertising. For the "Farewell" Season. 

The Mary Tyler Moore Show led the way for Rhoda, Phyllis, and Lou Grant, the last of which was an hour-long drama. Frasier was as successful as Cheers, with both lasting eleven seasons. While I may be in the minority on this one, I actually liked Joey, for the most part. I think many did not because it wasn't a carbon copy of Friends. Personally, I'm anti-spin-off. I'm watching and tolerating Young Sheldon because of my love of the parent series and Jim's narration, but it really doesn't need to exist.

34 minutes ago, Kev0821 said:

Yes, I've gotten that impression from them. Jim has also expressed similar sentiments, but then again, his interview with Seth Meyers suggested that it could go beyond that. I guess no one really knows at this point. Even Chuck Lorre has said that it's too early to say for certain.

Yeah, the ratings were huge, but some of that has to be due to the cliffhanger. Typically, the season premieres do well, and then the ratings semi-stabilize after that.

The Mary Tyler Moore Show led the way for Rhoda, Phyllis, and Lou Grant, the last of which was an hour-long drama. Frasier was as successful as Cheers, with both lasting eleven seasons. While I may be in the minority on this one, I actually liked Joey, for the most part. I think many did not because it wasn't a carbon copy of Friends. Personally, I'm anti-spin-off. I'm watching and tolerating Young Sheldon because of my love of the parent series and Jim's narration, but it really doesn't need to exist.

Yeah imo I Think people are making too much of the YS premiere. "Biggest premieire for a new show since 2011". Without the TBBT premeire lead in. Not sure it would of faired well. And now it is going to have a five week hiatus. Last season had a big premiere too. Have to track how the ratings go through out the season. To see if they are steady, or are declining compared to last seasons. 

ETA: I diddn't like Joey probably for the very reason you stated. But I just felt they deconstructed Joey's character in the show. But that was just me. I agree YS seems uneccessary. I am not sure how much life it has, but well see. 

28 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Yeah imo I Think people are making too much of the YS premiere. "Biggest premieire for a new show since 2011". Without the TBBT premeire lead in. Not sure it would of faired well. And now it is going to have a five week hiatus. Last season had a big premiere too. Have to track how the ratings go through out the season. To see if they are steady, or are declining compared to last seasons. 

ETA: I diddn't like Joey probably for the very reason you stated. But I just felt they deconstructed Joey's character in the show. But that was just me. I agree YS seems uneccessary. I am not sure how much life it has, but well see. 

I agree that midway through Joey the writers seemed to make him into a guy who couldn't ask a woman out, unlike the confident guy from Friends. However, there were some funny moments, too. I liked Jennifer Coolidge as his agent, as well as his nephew, Michael, and sister, Gina. Also, don't forget that appearance by Simon Helberg. :)

9 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Then the fans move on to new stuff. At the moment I am actually more excited for season 2 of Dirk Gently And I don't even know when I will get to see it.

It's hard to say how the ratings will fare for Young Sheldon's second episode. I think the original idea was to have it stay behind TBBT for the season, but CBS may want to consider moving it to Mondays, depending on how well 9JKL and the rest of the line-up does post-BBT move. They'd probably be smart to keep it behind the flagship, let it grow in viewers, and then move it the following season. However, I guess it depends on whatever happens with the rest of the new fall series. Plus, they should give Johnny's new series By the Book a run behind TBBT, too. I guess only time will tell.

Edited by Kev0821

If the Lenny stories we've gotten for the past few seasons continue I'd be surprised if JG and KC would agree to sign on for more. TBBT has become something more akin to the Shamy and Howardette show with small supporting bits going to Lenny, Raj, and Stuart. TBBT probably pays them more than anything else they will ever do, but they've made enough money that it might not be enough motivation to keep doing TBBT. I'm as invested as any TBBT fan but there just isn't enough time and stories to go around. Twelve is a nice number and few shows ever get a run that long. It might be best to call it a day and everyone move on to new things.