[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

Tensor

13 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Overall I have learnt by now the show will do things I don't like or things I wouldn't do, so no point really losing my cool over it. Is it wrong to accept that? Maybe but I feel comfortable enough with that stance. I got enough stress in my life as it is lol

You are so right in the bold part. Over the years, the show did things that I don't like too many times, with literally every character, I lost count. But I think maybe because I'm not a hard core fan, so I can tolerate this situation, and not quit watching like some of my friends. 

And honestly, it's their show, they can do whatever they want, if someday I can't tolerate anymore, I'll just quit watching, it's plain and simple. Haha.

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

The twirling and dancing IMO just made her look desperate for a proposal which was backed up by her hugging Ramona at the end.

To each his or her own but I liked it, she looked happy, probably the happiest I have ever seen her.

• It's a Tiara 2

2 minutes ago, Jonny said:

It's sad that the man she loves wants to marry her?

No, but it is sad that the man who loves her needed to be kissed by another woman to finally propose. It is sad that an even such as that one had to push him to finally do it. All of these are, of course, personal opinions. IMO, I have to say that Amy actually thanking Ramona was a little pathetic. But well, to each their own...

• Like 1
  • Koala Face 1

6 minutes ago, Jonny said:

It's sad that the man she loves wants to marry her?

No that the proposal was base on what Ramona did. jMO all Sheldon was doing was right a wrong. His other two proposals were based on Lenny getting married and the guys all being in relationships (raj was with Emily)

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 1
  • Koala Face 1

15 minutes ago, snapepans said:

You are so right in the bold part. Over the years, the show did things that I don't like too many times, with literally every character, I lost count. But I think maybe because I'm not a hard core fan, so I can tolerate this situation, and not quit watching like some of my friends. 

And honestly, it's their show, they can do whatever they want, if someday I can't tolerate anymore, I'll just quit watching, it's plain and simple. Haha.

I've watched enough television both critically and uncritically to know there's a lot of truth in the saying "Don't let perfection be the enemy of the good." Being satisfied with nothing less than absolute perfection (which would be subjective anyway for something like entertainment and thus not an achievable goal) prevents you from accepting a truly good show/episode/whatever. It makes you miserable in the long run - nothing I personally want for when I watch telly.

• Like 7
  • Koala Face 2

5 hours ago, April said:

Another interview from Glamour:

'The Big Bang Theory' Season 11 Episode 1 Recap: Amy and Sheldon Get Engaged

Within the first five minutes of tonight's Big Bang Theory premiere, diehard Shamy fans got the answer they had been waiting all summer for when—spoiler!—Amy accepted Sheldon's proposal. But that's not all: Bernadette and Howard discovered they are going to be parents again (!!!), a mere nine months after the birth of baby Halley.

In fact, that scene—the one with Bernadette and Howard following her surprise pregnancy announcement—might be one of the show's funniest and most iconic moments in its 10-year history. (Honorable mention to Penny and Leonard's reaction to the Wolowitz's urging them to start their own family.) Perhaps the only downside was Sheldon being a complete ass later in the episode, when Amy was shown more attention by colleagues at a work dinner than him. But more on that next week...

Until then, we wanted answers on how that proposal scene came to be, the story behind Amy's very forgiving reaction to the Nowitzki kiss, and whether or not Bernadette's pregnancy will be different the second time around. Here, Big Bang's executive producer and show runner Steve Holland fills us in.

(interview at source)

And another one from Deadline:

‘The Big Bang Theory’ Premiere: EP On Proposal Outcome, New Twist & Possible ‘Young Sheldon’ Crossovers In Season 11

CBS flagship comedy series The Big Bang Theory opened its 11th season tonight by picking up exactly where the show left off in May, with Sheldon popping the question to Amy. Fans were not left hanging for long, and, after only a brief phone call distraction, she said yes. With that cliffhanger resolved, the premiere, which featured guest appearances by Laurie Metcalf as Sheldon’s mom and Stephen Hawking, quickly set up a new plot twist for the season, with new mom Bernadette discovering that she is pregnant again. As the two newer couples are dealing with life-changing events, the BBT original romantic duo, Leonard and Penny, are left pondering where they are in their relationship. In an interview with Deadline, new BBT showrunner Steve Holland discusses why Amy had to yes and do so quickly, how Bernadette’s pregnancy came about, and how the two events will impact Leonard and Penny’s relationship. He also addresses potential crossovers with prequel series Young Sheldon, teases the road to the Sheldon-Amy wedding this season, whose parents we will likely see for the first time in earnest, and upcoming guest stars.

(Interview at source)

Reading these two interviews, it is pretty clear to me that Lenny will again be behind their kitchen island just observing what Shamy and Howardette are doing. 

• Like 2

Here's an article from Adweek about using Young Sheldon to turn TBBT into a franchise.    The end is interesting.  

After that, Lorre thinks his hit sitcom will end its run—probably. Then again, five seasons into the series, “we wouldn’t have anticipated being here for Year 11 and 12,” he said. “So while it seems very likely that we would wrap the show at the end of 12 seasons, it would be presumptuous to say, ‘That’s definitely what’s going to happen!’”

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Lagernisse said:

Reading these two interviews, it is pretty clear to me that Lenny will again be behind their kitchen island just observing what Shamy and Howardette are doing. 

I wouldn't take too much from those articles especially since they were about the first episode. Melissa I assume will be not on the show after a certain point so the pregnancy will have a short life. You also have to consider Glamour magazine isn't really something guys read. Anything Molaro and now Holland say is like what happens to me in the bathroom after a burrito lunch.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Here's an article from Adweek about using Young Sheldon to turn TBBT into a franchise.    The end is interesting.  

In its current format I think it won't be coming back after season 12. By that I mean all the cast signed on, I think it's very likely some won't want to come back. Will be interesting to see if they think they can change the show and continue it with losses.

But I have no doubt they will throw money at them to tempt them to do more.

• Like 2
  • Koala Face 1

13 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

You also have to consider Glamour magazine isn't really something guys read.

I read it.   Not for fashion tips( I'm hopeless there), but they do cover and have good articles and references about television and movies. 

• Like 5

"The Relaxation Integration" -- Pictured: Rajesh Koothrappali (Kunal Nayyar), Stuart (Kevin Sussman), and Ruchi (Swati Kapila). As Sheldon stresses about picking a wedding date, Amy tries to convince him he has a more laid-back side. Also, Koothrappali and Stuart compete to win the heart of Bernadette's new coworker, Ruchi (Swati Kapila), on Monday, Oct. 9 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT

Edited by Babar
  • Like 3
  • Koala Face 1

6 hours ago, April said:

Another interview from Glamour:

'The Big Bang Theory' Season 11 Episode 1 Recap: Amy and Sheldon Get Engaged

Within the first five minutes of tonight's Big Bang Theory premiere, die-hard Shamy fans got the answer they had been waiting all summer for when—spoiler!—Amy accepted Sheldon's proposal. But that's not all: Bernadette and Howard discovered they are going to be parents again (!!!), a mere nine months after the birth of baby Halley.

In fact, that scene—the one with Bernadette and Howard following her surprise pregnancy announcement—might be one of the show's funniest and most iconic moments in its 10-year history. (Honorable mention to Penny and Leonard's reaction to the Wolowitz's urging them to start their own family.) Perhaps the only downside was Sheldon being a complete ass later in the episode, when Amy was shown more attention by colleagues at a work dinner than him. But more on that next week...

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

However, the bold part is a ridiculous assertion that  makes me wonder how many TBBT episodes the author has actually seen. Nothing in the Season 11 premier ranks in the top 100 funniest TBBT moments.

• Like 7
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, HeWolf said:

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

However, the bold part is a ridiculous assertion that  makes me wonder how many TBBT episodes the author has actually seen. Nothing in the Season 11 premier ranks in the top 100 funniest TBBT moments.

Instead of funniest and iconic I think he meant lamest and moronic?

50 minutes ago, Jonny said:

In its current format I think it won't be coming back after season 12. By that I mean all the cast signed on, I think it's very likely some won't want to come back. Will be interesting to see if they think they can change the show and continue it with losses.

But I have no doubt they will throw money at them to tempt them to do more.

The problem IMO with Young Sheldon is there isn't a limitless amount of stories to tell.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 09/25/2017 at 5:17 PM, HeWolf said:

Sadly, if there is to be a Shamy wedding then I have no doubt then Amy's child abusing mother will make an appearance. I suppose she will also bring along Amy's father who either participated in, or permitted, the abuse. No doubt, this promises a rip-roaring good time for all. Just like the thrill we got from meeting Penny's meth making, poison peddling, life ruining, brother.

If we get lucky we will also get the return of that unpleasant old harpy; Mee-Maw

Yahoo!

A character doesn't have to be on the "good side" to be likeable. I liked Penny's brother and would love to see him back. His "cops, cops be cool!" in the tag scene was hilarious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Judith said:

A character doesn't have to be on the "good side" to be likeable. I liked Penny's brother and would love to see him back. His "cops, cops be cool!" in the tag scene was hilarious.

Sure, there are tons of likable child abusers running around. They may bring on the actor we saw that one time and give her lots of funny lines. That doesn't change her back story that has established that she was an abusive parent. Having some funny lines won't make her likable for some people, just like there are some viewers that despise Beverly, no matter how laugh out loud funny some of her dialogue may be. 

As for Randall; had they established his character as a car thief, cattle rustler, or serial graffiti artist then perhaps I would have some interest in seeing him on the show. Instead, for the laughs they got from saying he had an 'interest in chemistry', they made him a manufacturer of a poison that destroys lives and kills people. Nothing funny they may write for him to say will make him someone I care to see.

TV has a long history of creating popular 'bad' people. It could turn out that Amy's mother could be another one in that long heritage. With the Shamy wedding looming on the horizon I am sure we will get the chance to find out.

Edited by HeWolf
  • Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, HeWolf said:

Sure, there are tons of likable child abusers running around. They may bring on the actor we saw that one time and give her lots of funny lines. That doesn't change her back story that has established that she was an abusive parent. Having some funny lines won't make her likable for some people, just like there are some viewers that despise Beverly, no matter how laugh out loud funny some of her dialogue may be. 

As for Randall; had they established his character as a car thief, cattle rustler, or serial graffiti artist then perhaps I would have some interest in seeing him on the show. Instead, for the laughs they got from saying he had an 'interest in chemistry', they made him a manufacturer of a poison that destroys lives and kills people. Nothing funny they may write for him to say will make him someone I care to see.

TV has a long history of creating popular 'bad' people. It could turn out that Amy's mother could be another one in that long heritage. With the Shamy wedding looming on the horizon I am sure we will get the chance to find out.

Only that is not what I said. In real life a child abuser shouldn't be likeable to anyone but in television, which is fantasy, anything goes. In fantasy, a character can be evil and yet liked by a lot of people. Just ask Harry Potter fans. You might not care to see Randall again but obviously not everyone feels the same way since there is no right or wrong or any rules when it comes to liking a character in a tv show.

Same goes for Amy's mom and Beverly, another character I really like. Beverly has abused Leonard but I couldn't care less about that so I can ignore it (or even enjoy it at times) and like her for her other traits. She's delightfully evil. Amy's mom locked her in that closet but apart from that Skype call we haven't seen her in the flesh again so she could turn out to be funny in her own way.

It's just not as cut and dry as "she's evil because of this and this so she's unlikable". It just doesn't work that way in fiction.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Koala Face 1
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

21 minutes ago, Judith said:

Only that is not what I said. In real life a child abuser shouldn't be likeable to anyone but in television, which is fantasy, anything goes. In fantasy, a character can be evil and yet liked by a lot of people. Just ask Harry Potter fans. You might not care to see Randall again but obviously not everyone feels the same way since there is no right or wrong or any rules when it comes to liking a character in a tv show.

Same goes for Amy's mom and Beverly, another character I really like. Beverly has abused Leonard but I couldn't care less about that so I can ignore it (or even enjoy it at times) and like her for her other traits. She's delightfully evil. Amy's mom locked her in that closet but apart from that Skype call we haven't seen her in the flesh again so she could turn out to be funny in her own way.

It's just not as cut and dry as "she's evil because of this and this so she's unlikable". It just doesn't work that way in fiction.

Agree! Ask to Darth Vader fans as most of them even liked him more after they knew all truth about his transformation to one of worst evil characters ever!

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Chrismo said:

The problem IMO with Young Sheldon is there isn't a limitless amount of stories to tell.

And also we know the ending (which is TBBT's beginning) for the Sheldon character. As it is, Iain (the kid who plays young Sheldon) seems too likable to turn into what we later saw in TBBT as an adult.

Edited by Carlos
Spelling
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, HeWolf said:

That doesn't change her back story that has established that she was an abusive parent.

For me part of the issue is that this isn't actually that well established with Amy's mother, let alone what her father's role was in it. Amy has told a lot of anecdotes about her past and in most of them her mother comes off as a sometimes misguided but ultimately well-meaning parent that could be a bit over-protective. The only thing that gave most fans a pause was the whole "sin closet" stuff cause it seemed to come out of left field and didn't seem to fit the idea many had about her.

So ultimately it would be interesting to explore what exactly that relationship between her and her daughter was like. And now that we know that Amy's father exists it would be interesting to see what role he had to play. If Holland is willing to do something with that then I'll be looking forward to it.

And sure, it might turn out that Amy's mom is a total nightmare of a mother by combining Mary's and Bev's worst sides - but even then I would at least like to know about it, and with a little luck maybe she'll make a fun "bad guy", who knows? We'll see...

Edited by April
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • It's a Tiara 1

• Tensor pinned this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor unpinned this topic
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic