[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

Tensor

11 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

His expression is pretty much why?? Lol. Oh the money right. 

Of course. nothing to do with having an appreciation for the cast and crew, for recreating an Emmy winning role, for the opportunity to continue appearing in the #1 comedy on television. Yup, just the money.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I'm the opposite. I prefer the correct word. I'm very Sheldony so far as words are  concerned. Perhaps it comes from attending a bi-lingual school. I don't like the term 'sex' when it's a euphemism for coitus, sexual intercourse, copulation, carnal knowledge. 'Sex' is the correct scientific word on passports, birth certificates, medical notes and other records that says whether we are biologically male or female. The word 'gender' when it's used instead of the correct usage of 'sex' drives me crackers. In French, HRH Prince Charles' gender is feminine but in biological terms regardless of language, his sex is male. In German, the gender of his grandaughter is neuter although her sex is female. 

Not to be pedantic (oh who am I kidding?) but this is not how language works.

The phrasing "to have sex with sb." is not a euphemism for coitus, it's a synonym and used interchangeably. It's more of an colloquial expression than the clinical term "coitus" and has acquired a wider meaning over time but that doesn't make it incorrect to use.

The difference between sex and gender in people is that one refers to the biological aspect of the body while the other refers to the person's role in society. Usually both are the same things for most people*, i.e. someone born with a uterus will usually grow up thinking of themselves as a woman and be treated as such by society, which is why these terms are frequently used interchangeably and gender has become a bit of a euphemism for sex cause when people say sex they think of coitus and they don't wanna say anything dirty. (*When that isn't the case the whole idea of transgender comes into play, i.e. a person born with a uterus doesn't think of themselves as a woman.)

The gender of the German word for "girl" would grammatically be neutral ("das Mädchen") but that doesn't mean that Prince Charles' grand daughter herself is. Gender in grammar and in actual people are two different things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, vonmar said:

Of course. nothing to do with having an appreciation for the cast and crew, for recreating an Emmy winning role, for the opportunity to continue appearing in the #1 comedy on television. Yup, just the money.

Oh shucks I never knew any of that. 

1 hour ago, April said:

Not to be pedantic (oh who am I kidding?) but this is not how language works.

The phrasing "to have sex with sb." is not a euphemism for coitus, it's a synonym and used interchangeably. It's more of an colloquial expression than the clinical term "coitus" and has acquired a wider meaning over time but that doesn't make it incorrect to use.

The difference between sex and gender in people is that one refers to the biological aspect of the body while the other refers to the person's role in society. Usually both are the same things for most people*, i.e. someone born with a uterus will usually grow up thinking of themselves as a woman and be treated as such by society, which is why these terms are frequently used interchangeably and gender has become a bit of a euphemism for sex cause when people say sex they think of coitus and they don't wanna say anything dirty. (*When that isn't the case the whole idea of transgender comes into play, i.e. a person born with a uterus doesn't think of themselves as a woman.)

The gender of the German word for "girl" would grammatically be neutral ("das Mädchen") but that doesn't mean that Prince Charles' grand daughter herself is. Gender in grammar and in actual people are two different things.

Well put.  It's true that 'gender' meaning role in society came into use as a sociological term in England about thirty years ago. I didn't approve of it, and I hoped it was a fashion that would pass. It didn't. When I was young one occasionally in comedies heard characters such as mealy-mouthed elderly schoolmasters say something such as 'Headmaster, do you think the boys have learned to dance well enough this term  to take classes with partners of the opposite er er er gender ?' That sort of humour went down well. People who spoke like that were fictional figures of fun to be derided. Now it's normal. They still make me laugh though. 

19 hours ago, vonmar said:

While I cannot be totally sure,  I'm pretty sure that 3ku11's post was a joke.  Besides that expression's a Bob Newhart staple (Sp?). He has made a career out of it (and several other things, of course).

17 hours ago, Sah said:

Always a fun character, glad to see him return!

Something strange happens to me with Professor Proton/Bob Newhart. While I hate Professor Proton as a character but I love Bob Newhart as an actor.

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Something strange happens to me with Professor Proton/Bob Newhart. While I hate Professor Proton as a character but I love Bob Newhart as an actor.

I'm not sure how many times you can bring back a dead character. I'm with you like Bob not the character.

• Like 1

My original snark towards Bill was not towards Bill himself. But His character. He was great in Season 6. Then when he won his first Emmy in Season 7. But since then I feel like it's been beating a dead horse. Or yes beating a dead professor :taunt:.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

My original snark towards Bill was not towards Bill himself. But His character. He was great in Season 6. Then when he won his first Emmy in Season 7. But since then I feel like it's been beating a dead horse. Or yes beating a dead professor :taunt:.

Ok I am confused???

Who the hell is Bill? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, spidergirl said:

Yeah, it could be Billy Bob, too. Because Romona also participated in the scenes Ramona couldn't, right? ;)  :icon_cheesygrin:

(Damn alike names, lol)

No, he did not mean Billy Bob as he was only in one episode in season 8.

11 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

:D. I meant Bob. 

As in Bob Newhart?

....and not...  :icon_cheesygrin:

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

No, he did not mean Billy Bob as he was only in one episode in season 8.

As in Bob Newhart?

....and not...  :icon_cheesygrin:

You missed my point... I was joking about what @veejay said about be Billy Bob. That s why  I typed Romona too as  a few  people type Romona instead Ramona. I guess as we have to explain the joke, it is not funny anymore... 

Okay I wont try to joke anymore as there are always people who dont understand. It might be my english. *sigh*

See ya!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidergirl said:

You missed my point... I was joking about what @veejay said about be Billy Bob. That s why  I typed Romona too as  a few  people type Romona instead Ramona. I guess as we have to explain the joke, it is not funny anymore... 

Okay I wont try to joke anymore as there are always people who dont understand. It might be my english. *sigh*

See ya!

I'm sure some people got it. I can be slow some times. But really I thought bit was funny how many Bob's and Bills are around.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

I noticed that the synopsis for "The Relaxation Integration" has the name of Bernadette's colleague. Don't you think it's a little weird that it is mentioned there if she is only there for one episode for Raj and Stuart to fight over? Am I reading too much into it (probably yes)?

• Tensor pinned this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor unpinned this topic
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic