[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

Tensor

38 minutes ago, April said:

Tomorrow. lol

Penny bonding with Beverly actually is an ongoing plot continued from 9x23-10x01.

Seems to me Beverly and Penny her homegirl bonded from the beginning. I loved their drinking session.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 4

15 hours ago, Carey said:

How are ratings subjective? They are collected and measured in numbers but not influenced by personal bias or opinion. 

Every time I mentioned the show ratings are down I hear either:

a. The show is in its 11th season and that unheard of a show

b. The ratings for other shows are down.

i think my comment is equally subjective if not more.

• Like 2
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

5 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Every time I mentioned the show ratings are down I hear either:

a. The show is in its 11th season and that unheard of a show

b. The ratings for other shows are down.

i think my comment is equally subjective if not more.

Under the assumption that you have made the statement saying " the ratings are down" is in regards to previous seasons, I think that is objective and the numbers are available for anyone to look at.  If they hold the same, better or similar percentage based on current viewership then the argument could be made they are down, unchanged or better than previous seasons. That is also objectve data available for review.  If the statement is they have less viewers because the quality is changed then (IMO) that is subjective  and based on personal preference, opinion or bias.  Lastly, if there is any objective way to evaluate quality it would be the ratings. (IMO) Most people do not waste their precious spare time participating in activities, marketed for entertainment, they find boring or in this case poor quality. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Under the assumption that you have made the statement saying " the ratings are down" is in regards to previous seasons, I think that is objective and the numbers are available for anyone to look at.  If they hold the same, better or similar percentage based on current viewership then the argument could be made they are down, unchanged or better than previous seasons. That is also objectve data available for review.  If the statement is they have less viewers because the quality is changed then (IMO) that is subjective  and based on personal preference, opinion or bias.  Lastly, if there is any objective way to evaluate quality it would be the ratings. (IMO) Most people do not waste their precious spare time participating in activities, marketed for entertainment, they find boring or in this case poor quality. 

No ratings is not a determining factor when evalating quality. My point was Ratings are subjective. Because they don't = Quality. Ratings like you said are measured by figures over time. But Quality is also subjective, I diddn't say that, but I agree with that. Ratings are subjective imo, because they can vary. They don't mean the TV show has quality. Their are various factors to why TBBT consistently get's higher ratings. Doesen't mean as far as quality goes its a top ten show these days. Their are tons of shows on TV that don't get ratings but produce great quality. 

• Make a lot more sense than that 1

4 hours ago, April said:

It's a plot about Leonard and Penny dealing with one of their family members. That's enough for me to count. /shrugs

That’s totally fine for you, because L/P are not your primary concern. Or the show’s.

The show leads with its material that is most  popular with its audience.  So they get given more of Sheldon. Makes sense to me.  Like sugar in coke - or supersized MacDonalds. It’s not necessarily that it’s the best thing, but it works for maintaining the level of consumption. That’s the goal.

I’m not sure that one can make an argument that L/P are getting equal service in the narratives. They may be getting the service the majority of the audience feels they deserve. If the results were otherwise TPTB would write differently.

People have preferences. /shrug.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Coming from the UK I get why people keeping watching shows for sentimental reasons and sticking through them even if they decline, it happens all the time with UK tv. But its never been an impression I have took from the US TV market, I don't think there is that same mindset with US viewers and that if a show really does drop in quality they will ditch it. But I could be wrong, this is just the impression I have of US tv viewers and their viewing habits and speaking from someone who has had countless shows they have enjoyed cancelled because of the ratings in the US.

The ratings don't lie IMO, they show that the series is still popular and still beats its competitors. If you want to have an argument about quality the ratings would indicate to me that you have a stronger case suggesting that the quality is still high than saying the quality has gone downhill.

So, Corrie isn't as good since the death of Ena Sharples and Minnie Caldwell?

• Haha 2

Just now, Capt. Hilts said:

So, Corrie isn't as good since the death of Ena Sharples and Minnie Caldwell?

lol I haven't watched Corrie and Eastenders since probably 2002. Gave up on Emmerdale in 2015.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Coming from the UK I get why people keeping watching shows for sentimental reasons and sticking through them even if they decline, it happens all the time with UK tv. But its never been an impression I have took from the US TV market, I don't think there is that same mindset with US viewers and that if a show really does drop in quality they will ditch it. But I could be wrong, this is just the impression I have of US tv viewers and their viewing habits and speaking from someone who has had countless shows they have enjoyed cancelled because of the ratings in the US.

The ratings don't lie IMO, they show that the series is still popular and still beats its competitors. If you want to have an argument about quality the ratings would indicate to me that you have a stronger case suggesting that the quality is still high than saying the quality has gone downhill.

We don’t know enough about the  constituents of the audience to say that the current product captures the exact same individuals. But it’s likely that substitution rates keep the numbers up. Lose a L/P fancier, gain one (or two?) Shamy. I don’t know and we don’t have that data. But the wide appeal is still there. How much habituation matters I don’t know. The show generally is pretty benign (except for all the dictator-y stuff if you are sensitive to that).

I feel that, for me, they dropped the L/P ball. In my mind those two hooked me. They aren’t exchangeable for Shamy. But for others Shamy are preferable. And given that Sheldon (even in his tyranny) is more child friendly than  a sexually active Leonard and a challenging Penny, I’d guess that they have picked up more households with kids. Speculation of course.

So not a quality issue. A consumer issue.

• Like 5
  • It's a Tiara 1

If you think about it the humour the ?fans like so much usually comes from sheldons interaction with lenny i believe if lenny wasnt there the fans wouldn't have anything to laugh at

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

If you think about it the humour the sheldon fans like so much usually comes from sheldons interaction with lenny i believe if lenny wasnt there the sheldon fans wouldn't have anything to laugh at

Sheldon's interactions with the rest of the cast, recurring characters and guest stars aren't funny???

• Like 1

Sheldon's interactions with the rest of the cast, recurring characters and guest stars aren't funny???
I didn't say that but most have been with lenny i takes more than one person to carry the show

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

I didn't say that but most have been with lenny i takes more than one person to carry the show

Ummm...you did...

28 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

i believe if lenny wasnt there the fans wouldn't have anything to laugh at

29 minutes ago, legacy99 said:
If you think about it the humour the fans like so much usually comes from sheldons interaction with lenny i believe if lenny wasnt there the fans wouldn't have anything to laugh at

To be fair. Sheldon doesnt need lenny anymore. He is funny by himself. Lol. Its the sheldon show now. Sheldon could sit on his spot for several hours and say nothing and his fans would find it funny, cause it would be the funniest thing since slice bread.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 4

To be fair. Sheldon doesnt need lenny anymore. He is funny by himself. Lol. Its the sheldon show now. Sheldon could sit on his spot for several hours and say nothing and his fans would find it funny, cause it would be the funniest thing since slice bread.

It reminds of amy saying they sat in the same room for hours without talking to each other

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It reminds of amy saying they sat in the same room for hours without talking to each other

Exactly. [emoji4]

Exactly. It was a magical experience [emoji4]

• Like 1

I guess maybe it's my fault for not really enjoying the show anymore I'm nearly 66 and when i was dating it wasn't considered funny telling you girl friend what she was doing for a living wasnt important. It wasn't funny telling your friends their relationship wasn't going to work out because you knew better
It seems the younger generations have a different idea of what's funny and what's romantic. After amy got sheldon the new computer and he told her to go home so he could Skype with her wasn't the least bit romantic to me this is all jmo

• Like 6

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic