[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

Tensor

16 hours ago, veejay said:

Ha!  Don't you think at some level, all the characters are supposed to be "liked" in one way or another?  I have no warm feelings for Dr. Cooper.  At all.  Sorry to say......

Not necessarily. Some characters in shows are not likeable but integral to the storyline. They still have fans, but not for their likeability. That is, you can like them for what they are, but not as people you would  want to meet if they were real. That's the key...none of these characters are real. They are all there to be entertaining.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Not necessarily. Some characters in shows are not likeable but integral to the storyline. They still have fans, but not for their likeability. That is, you can like them for what they are, but not as people you would  want to meet if they were real. That's the key...none of these characters are real. They are all there to be entertaining.

Into the 1980s you could buy Eddie Haskell t-shirts - not Wally or Beaver t-shirts.

You Brits - are going to wear a t-shirt with Ena Sharples on it - or Minnie Caldwell.  Ena, of course!

'Nuff said.

Edited by Capt. Hilts

I liked the Howard/Sheldon storyline.  It fitted nicely with the father thing. Now we've seen George it makes Sheldon's rendering of him believable.

It's a pity they cut the explanation of why the rocket blew up instead of taking off.

I'd have liked to know what the trigonometry puzzle was and whether I could have solved it. Trig was my favourite maths at school. It seemed to have a purpose in a way that much of geometry didn't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I liked the Howard/Sheldon storyline.  It fitted nicely with the father thing. Now we've seen George it makes Sheldon's rendering of him believable.

It's a pity they cut the explanation of why the rocket blew up instead of taking off.

I'd have liked to know what the trigonometry puzzle was and whether I could have solved it. Trig was my favourite maths at school. It seemed to have a purpose in a way that much of geometry didn't.

I did some model rocketry as a kid. They used preloaded solid propellant "engines" that would slip into the model. On rare occasions one would be defective and not burn the way it was intended to. That is about the only way a rocket would explode on launch. Very upsetting for a kid if it was a fancy rocket (beginner rockets could be very simple and quick to build).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, djsurrey said:

I did some model rocketry as a kid. They used preloaded solid propellant "engines" that would slip into the model. On rare occasions one would be defective and not burn the way it was intended to. That is about the only way a rocket would explode on launch. Very upsetting for a kid if it was a fancy rocket (beginner rockets could be very simple and quick to build).

If they used the engine that came with that kit it would have been about 25 years old. No telling what that much time might have done to the chemicals in the engine. I'm surprised Howard didn't consider that and buy a new one.

Edited by HeWolf
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, HeWolf said:

If they used the engine that came with that kit it would have been about 25 years old. No telling what that much time might have done to the chemicals in the engine. I'm surprised Howard didn't consider that and buy a new one.

Wasn't that in the cut explanation Sheldon gave for the failure ? With that line missing it doesn't make a lot of sense that the project should go wrong.

26 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Wasn't that in the cut explanation Sheldon gave for the failure ? With that line missing it doesn't make a lot of sense that the project should go wrong.

I never saw the explanation that was cut, and didn't see any mention of it in the taping report.  It's as logical a reason for one of those rockets to explode as there is.

Those chemical engines aren't the most reliable things in the world. I've seen them fizzle and not provide enough lift to get the rocket off the ground. I've seen them burn unevenly and send the rocket off into a corkscrew. I've even seen one do nothing at all, which can make you very nervous about approaching the rocket. I have not ever seen one explode. Honestly, unless you sealed up the bottom of the thing to prevent the expulsion caused by igniting the propellant I don't think one could explode. But, who knows with one that old?

Edited by HeWolf
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

I'm actually not to concerned about the rocket but i would like to hear the entire discussion penny and beverly had about amy

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I don't want to hear them trashing Amy but it would be funny, IMO, to see more of Beverly talking about her private life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bfm said:

I don't want to hear them trashing Amy but it would be funny, IMO, to see more of Beverly talking about her private life.

I disagree. Penny gets trashed all the time. It would be a welcome change. They could of done that instead of the tag at the end.

• Like 6
  • Koala Face 1

Finally tonight was the season 11 premiere for Tbbt on Swedish television. We got both episode 1 and 2 and I thought both episodes were okay, nothing great but not bad either. 

I don't really know what it is but I feel that the LOL moments now days in Tbbt are missing to me but perhaps this happens in a show that has been on the air for more than a decade. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Lagernisse said:

Finally tonight was the season 11 premiere for Tbbt on Swedish television. We got both episode 1 and 2 and I thought both episodes were okay, nothing great but not bad either. 

I don't really know what it is but I feel that the LOL moments now days in Tbbt are missing to me but perhaps this happens in a show that has been on the air for more than a decade. 

I totally agree. I feel the same way about most of the new episodes. There have been better moments here and there but overall...not bad but not great. I think it's mostly the duration factor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrismo said:

I disagree. Penny gets trashed all the time. It would be a welcome change. They could of done that instead of the tag at the end.

I actually agree and would like to hear Beverly's thoughts on Amy, Hearing Beverly's critical thoughts about all other characters would be interesting.  I also think ,( ideally )  no character should be immune to criticism or being called out.  they all have their faults, that includes Amy, Sheldon,  Bernie, Raj and Howard . If a character is perceived as flawless and nice, all the time , either it becomes boring writing for me OR it means that the writers  (or fans) have a huge blind spot towards the faults of that character. 

1 hour ago, Lagernisse said:

See ? This is exactly what i have been feeling since, probably mid season 7 or 8 but its actually pretty noticeable now.  The sharpness , the comedy and that x factor that made it entertaining and funny has been a dud. Its all looks so tired.  If i  didnt know these characters were THE Sheldon,  Leonard,  Penny,  Amy or Howard, as estabalished by previous seasons,  and they were just random unknowns i was watching for the first time,  it would honestly be a very mediocre and boring sitcom that i would pass. 

Edited by serena_1995
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

I actually agree and would like to hear Beverly's thoughts on Amy, Hearing Beverly's critical thoughts about all other characters would be interesting.  I also think ,( ideally )  no character should be immune to criticism or being called out.  they all have their faults, that includes Amy, Sheldon,  Bernie, Raj and Howard . If a character is perceived as flawless and nice, all the time , either it becomes boring writing for me OR it means that the writers  (or fans) have a huge blind spot towards the faults of that character. 

I didn't mean that Amy should never be criticized. I just wouldn't like to see Penny participating in a cruel bashing of her with Beverly because that would make her a lousy friend. Laughing a bit at Beverly's comments and saying Amy has a unique sense of fashion or something like that would be okay but I don't want to see it going too far. We can agree to disagree, I just wanted to make my previous comment clear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bfm said:

I didn't mean that Amy should never be criticized. I just wouldn't like to see Penny participating in a cruel bashing of her with Beverly because that would make her a lousy friend. Laughing a bit at Beverly's comments and saying Amy has a unique sense of fashion or something like that would be okay but I don't want to see it going too far. We can agree to disagree, I just wanted to make my previous comment clear.

True , but close friends complain about each other many times too. or find personality traits that are tiring about each other sometimes .And there is a difference between critical comments and cruel bashing. Beverly making critical comments  or observations  about everyone  would be welcome by me.. Doesn't mean she is supposed to be right though. 

3 hours ago, luminous said:

Bill Prady's desk

Ahhhhhhh, The Dick Van Dyke show.  My top show of all time.   They ended their run after about 160 episodes, which for TBBT theory would have been right about the end of season seven (Maybe TBBT should have taken the hint).    For those who follow my ratings posts, The Dick Van Dyke show finished it's final season in sixteenth place, with a household rating of 23.6.   Last night, TBBT was number one with an 8.6.  Oh, and it won four  emmys (Best Comedy series, best actor (Van Dyke), best Actress, (Mary Tyler Moore), and best writing.  It was nominated for Best Directing (Jerry Paris, who also acted on the show), Best supporting actor (Morey Amsterdam), Best supporting actress (Rose Marie), and had another writing nomination.  Oh, and it was produced by Sheldon Leonard.   

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

True , but close friends complain about each other many times too. or find personality traits that are tiring about each other sometimes .And there is a difference between critical comments and cruel bashing. Beverly making critical comments  or observations  about everyone  would be welcome by me.. Doesn't mean she is supposed to be right though. 

Beverly could maybe be critical of Leonard for having spent so long keeping a cuckoo in his nest instead of looking after his own gametes. That’d be fair - but we saw her preference Sheldon so no hope there.  Trashing Amy - her son’s friend’s fiancée - would be snark. It could be funny but it’d be  mean. And they are pulling Beverly too back to the center.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

Ahhhhhhh, The Dick Van Dyke show.  My top show of all time.   They ended their run after about 160 episodes, which for TBBT theory would have been right about the end of season seven (Maybe TBBT should have taken the hint).    For those who follow my ratings posts, The Dick Van Dyke show finished it's final season in sixteenth place, with a household rating of 23.6.   Last night, TBBT was number one with an 8.6.  Oh, and it won four  emmys (Best Comedy series, best actor (Van Dyke), best Actress, (Mary Tyler Moore), and best writing.  It was nominated for Best Directing (Jerry Paris, who also acted on the show), Best supporting actor (Morey Amsterdam), Best supporting actress (Rose Marie), and had another writing nomination.  Oh, and it was produced by Sheldon Leonard.   

I love me some Dick Van Dyke Show. However, Moore's eponymous show ranks as one of my all time favorites.

Just now, Kev0821 said:

I love me some Dick Van Dyke Show. However, Moore's eponymous show ranks as one of my all time favorites.

Did you know, that TBBT director Anthony Rich, was the son of TDVDS director John Rich?  John Rich won an emmy for his direction of TDVDS

• Like 4

6 hours ago, luminous said:

Bill Prady's desk

Bill's new venture into IG has been terrific.  He had backed away from full time work on TBBT while he was teaching at UCLA, but it seems like since Lorre & Molaro began focusing on "Young Sheldon" he came back to TBBT representing the old guard. Co-creator protecting his turf.  Good for you Bill.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, HeWolf said:

I never saw the explanation that was cut, and didn't see any mention of it in the taping report.  It's as logical a reason for one of those rockets to explode as there is.

Those chemical engines aren't the most reliable things in the world. I've seen them fizzle and not provide enough lift to get the rocket off the ground. I've seen them burn unevenly and send the rocket off into a corkscrew. I've even seen one do nothing at all, which can make you very nervous about approaching the rocket. I have not ever seen one explode. Honestly, unless you sealed up the bottom of the thing to prevent the expulsion caused by igniting the propellant I don't think one could explode. But, who knows with one that old?

Oops. I think you're right. I can't find it anywhere, unless there's a post I've missed. I've been going through them. It looks as though by misreading  or mis-remembering part of Notwonderland's post  "The episode title was The Explosion Implosion, I also think the model rocket not taking off was because it was old. Howard's father bought it for him before he left  ", and putting it together with the line in Notwonderland's TR " Then you see the boys in the desert trying to collect the pieces of the model rocket. Sheldon is listing reasons for something (I can't remember what, sorry) " I must somehow have confabulated that Sheldon had come up with the reasons for the explosion. Talk about putting two and two together and making five. So, that's what wasn't cut. What tricks the memory plays ! I wonder what Beverly and Amy would make of that ? Mea Culpa. 

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic