[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

Tensor

1 minute ago, Chrismo said:

I will try a different way. DWTS is on Monday nights, Correct if I'm wrong but I believe their rating are down similarily. I would guess there audience is the senior citizen crowd and thus ratings  should be affected by other ways avenues. So how is that explained?

That's what I mean when I say network television is down.  There are, in general, fewer people watching network television.  There are simply less people watching, which is why shows are down, in general, by about the same amount.  As for why, some of the older ones are dying off, and the younger ones aren't replacing them due to streaming.   In addition, some of the middle aged (and older) people have taken to streaming, and are not watching network television as much.  I obviously can't give you an exact reason for each of the 23 million who are no longer watching network TV, but if all shows are down, and total viewing is down, it's a general trend which leaves you with fewer people watching network television.   

28 minutes ago, HeWolf said:

•  
  • HeWolf
  • Members
  • 1,296 posts
45 minutes ago, bfm said:

I don't think it was an ersatz homosexual marriage either... And in a later episode she talked about their latent homosexuality and thought Bernadette was made up. And she usually doesn't specify she sees him as a failure compared to his siblings (which he is still not, less successful would be the correct term), if you go by her descriptions of Leonard you would expect a different person.

I don't know if it was or not. That is what she called it. Her exact words: 

Beverly Hofstadter: It might explain why the two of you have created an ersatz homosexual marriage to satisfy your need for intimacy. 

I'm wondering how well Beverly knew her children in the first place, and how good her scientific research was, considering she was doing them both at the same time, plus writing about Leonard for books. If she'd really recently had her 60th birthday around the time Leonard, according to Penny, was 'nearer forty than thirty'  making him at least 36, then Beverly was married and starting a family when she was still a student. To all appearances she skimped on everything, including her work. That would explain her rather bizarre outlook on children and her 'reverse reverse reverse psychology' which strikes me more as upside-down and scrambled than anything else.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tensor said:

That's what I mean when I say network television is down.  There are, in general, fewer people watching network television.  There are simply less people watching, which is why shows are down, in general, by about the same amount.  As for why, some of the older ones are dying off, and the younger ones aren't replacing them due to streaming.   In addition, some of the middle aged (and older) people have taken to streaming, and are not watching network television as much.  I obviously can't give you an exact reason for each of the 23 million who are no longer watching network TV, but if all shows are down, and total viewing is down, it's a general trend which leaves you with fewer people watching network television.   

Or it could mean network television is awful?

2 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Or it could mean network television is awful?

We know older viewers are dying.  We know younger viewers are not bothering with network or cable, as they want to be able to consume the content, where ever they are and whenever they want.  We know some in the middle are moving to netflix and other streaming services to get different content, but that doesn't mean network TV is awful.  There are shows I watch that I miss, when I am on the internet, thus losing me to viewing.   You are going to have to come up with some proof that the people moving to streaming because network TV is awful.  As that hasn't shown up in any of the surveys of those moving to streaming.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HeWolf said:

I don't know if it was or not. That is what she called it. Her exact words: 

Beverly Hofstadter: It might explain why the two of you have created an ersatz homosexual marriage to satisfy your need for intimacy. 

I know this comment but in "The Maternal Saturation" she said they had latent homosexual feelings and believed Bernadette wasn't real.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bfm said:

I know this comment but in "The Maternal Saturation" she said they had latent homosexual feelings and believed Bernadette wasn't real.

Not saying she was right about Howard and Raj, but Beverly is a scientist. Her observations are what she is going to use to draw her conclusions. As Howard and Raj were written and portrayed like they were a weird couple, her characterization of their relationship is not hard to understand. As for Bernadette; Why would Beverly believe she was real? She hadn't met her, and the Howard/Raj interactions were no different than she had previously observed. Also, Leonard intentionally said Howard had a girlfriend in a way that suggested it was not true.

I am not a Beverly apologist. Obviously Howard and Raj did not have a homosexual relationship. -Not that there's anything wrong with that.- They were written in such a way as to suggest that they were closer in some ways that most men in platonic friendships are not. They did, and said, things that often made them look like a 'couple', as opposed to just being friends. 

As recently as last season there was discussion on these boards suggesting that if Howard's marriage didn't work out, and Raj remained single, that they should become a couple. What kind of couple was part of that discussion. 

7 minutes ago, HeWolf said:

Not saying she was right about Howard and Raj, but Beverly is a scientist. Her observations are what she is going to use to draw her conclusions. As Howard and Raj were written and portrayed like they were a weird couple, her characterization of their relationship is not hard to understand. As for Bernadette; Why would Beverly believe she was real? She hadn't met her, and the Howard/Raj interactions were no different than she had previously observed. Also, Leonard intentionally said Howard had a girlfriend in a way that suggested it was not true.

I am not a Beverly apologist. Obviously Howard and Raj did not have a homosexual relationship. -Not that there's anything wrong with that.- They were written in such a way as to suggest that they were closer in some ways that most men in platonic friendships are not. They did, and said, things that often made them look like a 'couple', as opposed to just being friends. 

As recently as last season there was discussion on these boards suggesting that if Howard's marriage didn't work out, and Raj remained single, that they should become a couple. What kind of couple was part of that discussion. 

The original post said that she is good at capturing people. I gave examples of her getting to incorrect conclusions. Of course there's nothing wrong about a homosexual relationship but it just wasn't true.

As to Beverly being a scientist... Making those observation based on the little she had seen would make her a very lousy one. Also a very lousy therapist but I think it is blatantly clear that she is an AWFUL therapist who should have had her license revoked decades ago. Her not doing much therapy if at all is a blessing.

5 hours ago, hokie3457 said:

What was the one aspect?  ("Inquiring minds want to know....")

It’s sonetimes hard being married to anyone, because you have to compromise sometimes . It’s going to be super hard being married to someone for whom compromise is a foreign concept.    I just picture that long haul.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

It’s sonetimes hard being married to anyone, because you have to compromise sometimes . It’s going to be super hard being married to someone for whom compromise is a foreign concept.    I just picture that long haul.

Ahhhhh!  Yes. She has her work cut out for her.  I can't wait until you are able to see Episode 11.4, the one that aired here last night.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hokie3457 said:

Ahhhhh!  Yes. She has her work cut out for her.  I can't wait until you are able to see Episode 11.4, the one that aired here last night.

If it weren’t fiction, I’d forecast a lot more Chardonnay in that woman’s future than Penny ever imbibed. Hehe

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, HeWolf said:

The point of the line was just to make Howard / Raj uncomfortable.

Beverley: So, where were we?

Leonard: Howard lives with his mother and Raj can’t speak to women unless he’s drunk. Go.

Beverley: That’s fascinating. Selective mutism is quite rare. On the other hand, an adult Jewish male living with his mother is so common it borders on sociological cliché.

Howard: It’s just temporary, I pay rent.

Leonard: He lives in the same room where his bassinet was.

Beverley: You know, both selective mutism and an inability to separate from one’s mother can stem from a pathological fear of women. It might explain why the two of you have created an ersatz homosexual marriage to satisfy your need for intimacy.

Howard: Say what? (Raj whispers in his ear) That’s basically what I just said.

Leonard: You brought your husband to work, you know the rules. Meesa thinking yousa looking pretty sad now too, betcha, betcha.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bfm said:

The original post said that she is good at capturing people. I gave examples of her getting to incorrect conclusions. Of course there's nothing wrong about a homosexual relationship but it just wasn't true.

Leonard was feeding her partial information and using her to get back at his friends. It was a setup so it was hardly her falt in this case.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Haha 1
  • It's a Tiara 1

2 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Leonard was feeding her partial information and using her to get back at his friends. It was a setup so it was hardly her falt in this case.

If she were that good she wouldn't make this mistake (and also would not make such a conviction based only on such a short meeting and Leonard's words).

Edited by bfm
typo
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, bfm said:

If she were that good she wouldn't make this mistake (and also would not make such a convition based only on such a short meeting and Leonard's words).

Perhaps like Sheldon she is kind of overconfident, narcissistic.....

And just for fun:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/socially-relevant/201601/how-profile-narcissist-one-simple-question

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have always seen Beverly as more of a pop psychologist than a serious doctor. Her primary research seems to be raising her kids especially Leonard in a specific way and then writting book after book about it.

Additionally her primary income seems to come from book sales and speaking fees as opposed to an actual practice and patients.

Kind of a higher end Dr. Phil

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, JE7 said:

I have always seen Beverly as more of a pop psychologist than a serious doctor. Her primary research seems to be raising her kids especially Leonard in a specific way and then writting book after book about it.

Additionally her primary income seems to come from book sales and speaking fees as opposed to an actual practice and patients.

Kind of a higher end Dr. Phil

Well Bev get her own talk show? Lol.

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic