Jump to content

[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread


Tensor
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Carlos said:

I brought it up just to show you how wrong your statement saying: "Howard turned more women off men than any other prime time television character." was. Since there have been rapists as prime time television characters, you're the one that implicitly compared Howard to them, and declared that he turned more women off men, no less.

NO ONE got that this was talking about comedies? This is, in my opinion, just being super nit picky just because some people don't like what the poster said.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mislav said:

Like I said, I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Penny's behavior wasn't consistent with person who felt especially offended or threatened at all (after all, she went into his room, alone, to apologize), and I don't see how being "forced" to apologize, or being wrong in that episode, would make Penny a bad person and therefore be unjust (though Penny herself called someone else a bad person over a much lesser matter later on, but again, barrel of worms...) Not to mention, she talked about castrating Sheldon (yes, an obvious hyperbole, but still aggressive, if only verbally) in "Panty Pinata Polarization", and about how she'd beat potential burglars with a baseball bat a season or two later... her feeling threatened or really offended by Howard's comments seems almost laughable, sorry. When Leonard told her that Howard had been devastated by her words and was in bed for two days, her reaction was that he was "probably with a blow up doll"... honestly, the more I think about her in that episode, the less I like her. That is just my opinion. If you disagree, fine, but I personally don't see it. And I'm sure you can also find plenty of examples where Pennx is a good person and all. But that was far from her fine (not finest, fine) moments.

Agree to disagree, we have very different perceptions.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, veejay said:

nw_0120.gif.3d42830da13fb934a51e9d18111840b7.gif

Penny?  (Joyce, I'm a little disappointed in you. Please discover the short notice above my muddleheaded avatar on the left.) :shy:

I've seen your title 'Desperate Believer of Cornfield-Penny' hundreds of times and speculated upon what it means. There's a line in an old song we sang at school, probably from a Shakespeare play or something : 'It was a lover and his lass who through these green cornfields did pass, with a hey and a ho and a hey-nonny-no.' I supposed you perhaps wanted desperately to believe against all the evidence that Penny was 'green' ie naive and innocent and that just like her hair, some corn turns golden or white eventually, also signifying innocence.  I thought that was it until you mentioned 'cornfield conventions' so I decided to ask what 'cornfield conventions' were. If you'd rather not tell me, then don't.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From cbs.com

Penny And Leonard Finally Crack The Sheldon Code On The Big Bang Theory

Quote

In the latest installment of The Big Bang Theory called "The Collaboration Contamination," which airs Monday, Oct. 23 at 8/7c on CBS and CBS All Access, the married couple learn new ways of managing Sheldon's many irksome habits from an unlikely source.

Meanwhile, Sheldon and Raj (Kunal Nayyar) turn to Bernadette (Melissa Rauch) for help with their jealousy when Howard (Simon Helberg) and Amy (Mayim Bialik) collaborate on a new project.

256992005416f531_tbbt_1105_2.jpg.c066f20bfc33a04f62bd18e4274e93d4.jpg

Where did Penny and Leonard find their Sheldon kryptonite? And will Sheldon and Raj be able to cope with Howard and Amy's unlikely bond?

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hokie3457 said:

"the size of a nickel!".....

I've never seen a nickel. I wonder how many viewers around the world have ? When I first sold things on eBay I used to get dollar bills from the USA in the post before Paypal, but banks don't change coins so nobody ever sent any, thankfully.  I know a nickel is a coin worth five cents but how big or small it is, I don't know. 

I did get the joke about Penny being able to do manly things such as urinate into a bottle with the neck as wide as a nickel. Perhaps she carries a she-wee with her on long journeys. Why she had to circle her eye, I didn't get. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I've never seen a nickel. I wonder how many viewers around the world have ? When I first sold things on eBay I used to get dollar bills from the USA in the post before Paypal, but banks don't change coins so nobody ever sent any, thankfully.  I know a nickel is a coin worth five cents but how big or small it is, I don't know. 

I did get the joke about Penny being able to do manly things such as urinate into a bottle with the neck as wide as a nickel. Perhaps she carries a she-wee with her on long journeys. Why she had to circle her eye, I didn't get. 

I don't know how big a nickel is either but it was clear to me that she was illustrating the size of one with that gesture.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I've never seen a nickel. I wonder how many viewers around the world have ? When I first sold things on eBay I used to get dollar bills from the USA in the post before Paypal, but banks don't change coins so nobody ever sent any, thankfully.  I know a nickel is a coin worth five cents but how big or small it is, I don't know. 

I did get the joke about Penny being able to do manly things such as urinate into a bottle with the neck as wide as a nickel. Perhaps she carries a she-wee with her on long journeys. Why she had to circle her eye, I didn't get. 

She was demonstrating the size of a nickle.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I've seen your title 'Desperate Believer of Cornfield-Penny' hundreds of times and speculated upon what it means. There's a line in an old song we sang at school, probably from a Shakespeare play or something : 'It was a lover and his lass who through these green cornfields did pass, with a hey and a ho and a hey-nonny-no.' I supposed you perhaps wanted desperately to believe against all the evidence that Penny was 'green' ie naive and innocent and that just like her hair, some corn turns golden or white eventually, also signifying innocence.  I thought that was it until you mentioned 'cornfield conventions' so I decided to ask what 'cornfield conventions' were. If you'd rather not tell me, then don't.

I have no idea if that's a real thing, but I like it... and some weird thing about me as a German is, I like to make up some new composite words. Don’t take it too seriously. I took it as a little joke which how it was intended.

overthink2.gif.144a643ad0e4929e57f6229b5e9592df.gif

Yes, Leonard. This is our passion here in this place. :shy:

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I've never seen a nickel. I wonder how many viewers around the world have ? When I first sold things on eBay I used to get dollar bills from the USA in the post before Paypal, but banks don't change coins so nobody ever sent any, thankfully.  I know a nickel is a coin worth five cents but how big or small it is, I don't know. 

I did get the joke about Penny being able to do manly things such as urinate into a bottle with the neck as wide as a nickel. Perhaps she carries a she-wee with her on long journeys. Why she had to circle her eye, I didn't get. 

A nickel is the size of a 1 penny.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, April said:

I don't know how big a nickel is either but it was clear to me that she was illustrating the size of one with that gesture.

 

15 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I've never seen a nickel. I wonder how many viewers around the world have ? When I first sold things on eBay I used to get dollar bills from the USA in the post before Paypal, but banks don't change coins so nobody ever sent any, thankfully.  I know a nickel is a coin worth five cents but how big or small it is, I don't know. 

I did get the joke about Penny being able to do manly things such as urinate into a bottle with the neck as wide as a nickel. Perhaps she carries a she-wee with her on long journeys. Why she had to circle her eye, I didn't get. 

When in doubt ask the Google machine (my sister-in-law's great name for it):  Diameter is .835 inches (21.21 mm); thickness is 0.77 inches (1.95 mm).......

  • Thanks 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Zhalen565 said:

A nickel is the size of a 1 penny.

You'd need a lot of pennies to cover an eye. LOL

4 minutes ago, veejay said:

Really? I didn't know that yet. Magnificent! :icon_cheesygrin:

Judged by the measurements hokie gave, you still don't. A penny might cover the fingernail on Penny's little finger but not an eye.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

You'd need a lot of pennies to cover an eye. LOL

Judged by the measurements hokie gave, you still don't. A penny might cover the fingernail on Penny's little finger but not an eye.

 

Okay, then I'll try my 2 cents again as a measurement.

I'm afraid they're too small again, damn.  :icon_cheesygrin:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

You'd need a lot of pennies to cover an eye. LOL

Judged by the measurements hokie gave, you still don't. A penny might cover the fingernail on Penny's little finger but not an eye.

 

Sorry! Long day, and I mistyped, £1 coin

ED7D4670-18A7-442B-98FE-D9D572E8EFA4.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, serena_1995 said:

Penny can take care of herself obviously. She wasn't scared  or threatened of Howard, she still disliked it and also called him disgusting in season 1 . Obviously it is a sitcom so they couldn't go more serious than that. But I don't like  that while  Penny apologized, Howard  didn't seem to learn  his lesson back then. He still joked about getting "pity sex" by the end of the episode after Penny punched him.  Penny didn't want to be around Howard. I remember when Howard used a recording of Sheldon's voice to get Penny to even open the door. I think she mostly went to 4A to see Leonard and later when became friends with Sheldon. She was not very  close with Howard. I thought there was plenty of evidence to suggest she was uncomfortable with Howard's crude remarks. She only said the part about dying alone after he crossed a line. Infact, even after all that, Penny was the one who helped  him meet Bernadette. 

Once again, I had problem with the way she said it, and it is made worse by the fact that she didn't feel scared or threatened, because that is what makes her actions cruel and rude. I'm not sure what your point is. And Penny only helped Howard meet Bernadette because Leonard asked her to do that, after Howard asked him to do that. It is not like Penny cared otherwise. At all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mislav said:

Once again, I had problem with the way she said it, and it is made worse by the fact that she didn't feel scared or threatened, because that is what makes her actions cruel and rude. I'm not sure what your point is. And Penny only helped Howard meet Bernadette because Leonard asked her to do that, after Howard asked him to do that. It is not like Penny cared otherwise. At all.

I don't know if your married ,have a girlfriend, or daughter but you would be okay if she was told she was "doable"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

I don't know if your married ,have a girlfriend, or daughter but you would be okay if she was told she was "doable"?

I don't understand your point. Every woman is somebody's daughter and every man is somebody's son too. So what makes Penny more "worthy" or "vulnerable" or "in the right" in that situation? Should we all walk on egg shells and modify free speech in every situation possible? He was basically calling her attractive, only in over the top way. Hardly an offense.

 

I wouldn't "like" somebody calling my daughter that (and Penny was nobody's wife or girlfriend then) by any means, that is just the gut feeling and common emotional response, but there is a difference between something that you personally don't like and a legitimate insult or threat that warrants a verbal assault. Our feelings and reaction aren't always linked with logic (some fathers aren't OK with their daughters dating at certain age too, even when they are legally adult), but that us why we have to learn to control and adjust our actions. I was talking about Penny's reaction.

Edited by Mislav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Mislav said:

I don't understand your point. Every woman is somebody's daughter and every man is somebody's son too. So what makes Penny more "worthy" or "vulnerable" or "in the right" in that situation? Should we all walk on egg shells and modify free speech in every situation possible? He was basically calling her attractive, only in over the top way. Hardly an offense.

 

I wouldn't "like" somebody calling my daughter that (and Penny was nobody's wife or girlfriend then) by any means, that is just the gut feeling and common emotional response, but there is a difference between something that you personally don't like and a legitimate insult or threat that warrants a verbal assault. Our feelings and reaction aren't always linked with logic (some fathers aren't OK with their daughters dating at certain age too, even when they are legally adult), but that us why we have to learn to control and adjust our actions. I was talking about Penny's reaction.

I t seems if Howard had said nothing we wouldn't be having this discussion. Attractive=Doable  Really?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

I t seems if Howard had said nothing we wouldn't be having this discussion. Attractive=Doable  Really?

Oh I'm sure we'd think of something. Got to keep our hands busy until we can watch tonight's episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

That is small ! It would take a £2 coin to cover my eye. I've just been playing with some coins trying them out.

ED7D4670-18A7-442B-98FE-D9D572E8EFA4.jpeg

...the coin on the right is a US quarter.  It is larger than a US nickel, which in turn is slightly larger than a US penny.....(no change on me so I can't photograph. Also lack the technical skills in order to upload a photoagraph onto the Tapatalk app....)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

I t seems if Howard had said nothing we wouldn't be having this discussion. Attractive=Doable  Really?

Well, it certainly doesn't mean unattractive...

I think a more fair statement is that we wouldn't be having this discussion if Penny hadn't replied the was she had. I think we have a different opinion as to where the problem starts and what is excusable and not.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

NO ONE got that this was talking about comedies? This is, in my opinion, just being super nit picky just because some people don't like what the poster said.

I'm sorry but any other character on prime time TV means any other character on prime time TV. Besides that, somebody else mentioned Kripke as being also creepy, and somebody else mentioned Raj being equally as creepy.  What my comment was on was how incorrect the OP statement was. 

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:25 AM, djsurrey said:

 That does not make Howard less creepy.

Or Sheldon any less of a dick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...