[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

7 hours ago, April said:

Look, I loved the tie in with Star Wars as much as you but the way the show was advertised and how it was treated in the press back then and subsequently the comments all over the internet point more towards the Shamy story being the big draw. I have a hard time thinking of anyone seeing the Shamy story advertised and thinking "wait, there could be a Star Wars joke in there - maybe I should watch!" (I mean exceptions prove the rule and all that but I'm pretty certain those don't amount to the however many millions of viewers decided to tune in for this one especially)

They had an opening crawl in the promo and a force ghost in Jedi robes! https://youtu.be/Hnrbq_8ETn4

After 40 I lost interest in being there on opening night but I have never missed a Star Wars Movie (Even thought Canadian Netflix is now showing it for free). There are plenty of over 40 and over 50 star wars fans still around. So yes watching a little star wars tie in on TV and waiting for the weekend to go to the theater is what I would expect a lot of fans to do.

Does not surprize me that the media hype up the sex angle but if you're  not an avid TBBT  fan already why would anyone care? Those that do care about that also seem to be the ones that want to talk about it on social media. All that proves is that some people like to talk about that a lot on social media.

Bob Newhart is also another factor that might bring in some of the older crowd.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 2

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know a lot of people here know of my medical problems.   For those who don't, I have trouble, at times, walking any kind of distance, say a block or two, without the aid of a cane.  Around the house

Hello guys,   I am so sorry, I promised a taping report but it was a crazy week and I didn't have time to write one. Here is what happened(I don't know if you already get any other repo

Hey guys! I’m sure somebody will give you a full TR so just wanted to share my overall impressions and BTS I thought the episode was just perfect and for those of you who don’t like Shamy - I fel

Posted Images

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

They had an opening crawl in the promo and a force ghost in Jedi robes! https://youtu.be/Hnrbq_8ETn4

After 40 I lost interest in being there on opening night but I have never missed a Star Wars Movie (Even thought Canadian Netflix is now showing it for free). There are plenty of over 40 and over 50 star wars fans still around. So yes watching a little star wars tie in on TV and waiting for the weekend to go to the theater is what I would expect a lot of fans to do.

Does not surprize me that the media hype up the sex angle but if you're  not an avid TBBT  fan already why would anyone care? Those that do care about that also seem to be the ones that want to talk about it on social media. All that proves is that some people like to talk about that a lot on social media.

There is no proof that people on social media weren’t watching the episode anyways. I haven’t seen any numbers from the older crowd that were watching it for Bob.. Also I haven’t seen how  many extra millions were spent getting those viewers.

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

So what you would expect, or doesn't surprise you, or it seems or having another factor that MIGHT bring in audience, all adds up to you have nothing to support your claims.    As to why would anyone care,   there were quite a few comments on social media (and some by my friends)  by people who used to watch the show, and were going to watch that particular show, just to see how they were going to handle Sheldon and sex.   It was here on the main site, it was on this sites Facebook page, it was on twitter and it was here on the forum.  What it does prove is that there was interest in the coitus plot, and there was a lack of similar interest in the plot for Star Wars.   

The original question was, is there ANY evidence that it was coitus that drove the increase in viewers, YES.  Is it conclusive, NO.   Is there an equal amount of (or even ANY) evidence for Star Wars, NO.    Now you can ignore the evidence there is, or try to downplay it as inconclusive, but one thing no one has done,  is provide anything to support the Star Wars claim.   

• Make a lot more sense than that 1

The only thing that's count for me is how many people who watch the show the day it is broadcast, but that's just my humble opinion. I want as many viewers and high demo ranking as possible and it doesn't really matter to me if it is Shamy coitus or not that makes good numbers. 

44 minutes ago, Tensor said:

So what you would expect, or doesn't surprise you, or it seems or having another factor that MIGHT bring in audience, all adds up to you have nothing to support your claims.    As to why would anyone care,   there were quite a few comments on social media (and some by my friends)  by people who used to watch the show, and were going to watch that particular show, just to see how they were going to handle Sheldon and sex.   It was here on the main site, it was on this sites Facebook page, it was on twitter and it was here on the forum.  What it does prove is that there was interest in the coitus plot, and there was a lack of similar interest in the plot for Star Wars.   

The original question was, is there ANY evidence that it was coitus that drove the increase in viewers, YES.  Is it conclusive, NO.   Is there an equal amount of (or even ANY) evidence for Star Wars, NO.    Now you can ignore the evidence there is, or try to downplay it as inconclusive, but one thing no one has done,  is provide anything to support the Star Wars claim.   

So that being said the 18-49 ratings number should have been the highest ever.

6 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

So that being said the 18-49 ratings number should have been the highest ever.

Why?  Are you saying all of the increase in viewers was in the 18-49 demo?  And, don't forget, the Live + Same Day wasn't the highest that season.    In actuality, the  demo lift, for that episode, was the highest during that season, (2.9), and in fact, that episode was the highest demo lift for the entire series, beating the 2.8 lift on 6 February, 2014. 

10 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Why?  Are you saying all of the increase in viewers was in the 18-49 demo?  And, don't forget, the Live + Same Day wasn't the highest that season.    In actuality, the  demo lift, for that episode, was the highest during that season, (2.9), and in fact, that episode was the highest demo lift for the entire series, beating the 2.8 lift on 6 February, 2014. 

Actually just the opposite. JMO based on no facts I think the DVR increase was based on seeing Shamy coitus. Typically and I know not everyone a younger viewer would likely do that. Thus people who actually watched the show on Thursday may have been older viewers than typical. JMO

1 minute ago, Chrismo said:

Actually just the opposite. JMO based on no facts I think the DVR increase was based on seeing Shamy coitus. Typically and I know not everyone a younger viewer would likely do that. Thus people who actually watched the show on Thursday may have been older viewers than typical. JMO

For that particular year, a demo ratings point was about 1.30 million individuals, at 2.9, that would be about 3.85 million in the 18-49 demo, with 3.3 million outside the demo (that would be 12-17 and 50+.  

In general, it's the older viewers who tend to watch on the night of broadcast, it's a carryover from when DVRs weren't around.  Older viewers tend to keep to their older viewing habits.     

11 minutes ago, Tensor said:

For that particular year, a demo ratings point was about 1.30 million individuals, at 2.9, that would be about 3.85 million in the 18-49 demo, with 3.3 million outside the demo (that would be 12-17 and 50+.  

In general, it's the older viewers who tend to watch on the night of broadcast, it's a carryover from when DVRs weren't around.  Older viewers tend to keep to their older viewing habits.     

Or even from when VCRs weren't around. :) For me, it's wanting to know as soon as possible what happened in the episode.

13 minutes ago, Tensor said:

I f I remember correctly that episode was the second highest live episode of the season after the premiere. Thus that would mean the increase of the live viewing was because of the older audience.

58 minutes ago, Tensor said:

This is so true the last part. My Grandmother in her 70s but she watches CBS every night and has for last 25-30 years or so even if she like the Show or not. 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrismo said:

I f I remember correctly that episode was the second highest live episode of the season after the premiere. Thus that would mean the increase of the live viewing was because of the older audience.

???????  In what, demo or live viewers?   It was second in viewers, third in demo.   In Live + 7 it was number one in both lift and totals, in both viewers and demo.   

Just a quick note for tomorrow's ratings, so everyone doesn't freak out.    It's been a bloodbath in the ratings this week (due, in part, to the World Series).   Eight series have hit Series lows this week and only one show has been in the twos, for demo.   This is Us barely made it with a 2.0 (Also a series low) on Tuesday.   Shows usually above a 2.0, like The Good Doctor, and the Monday edition of The Voice were at 1.9.  NCIS only had 12.11 million viewers and Modern Family was at a series low of 1.5.  It was so bad, both NBC and CBS pulled their original programming for Wednesday (Game seven of the World Series) and ran repeats.   Thursday nights also have fewer viewers than other weeknights, so expect lower ratings for the show this week.        

• Like 6

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic